Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Purplesid
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: The Thousand Mazy Paths
Artifact: Tricks

Once Upon a Time in Gem (fic, some violence)

18 Oct 2006, 23:04

This is a wee story about my favorite PC: Sivar Kash, Bronze Faction overseer of Gem. If it's well-recieved I might write more. Kash is...a bit of a departure from the fic characters we've been getting of late from Fall and Seras. I doubt Chen or Jad would approve of his methods, but you'll see soon enough.

Bonus points to whoever guesses what movie the title and scenario are from, and which character from it Kash is partly based on.
Last edited by Zeal on 18 Oct 2006, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

18 Oct 2006, 23:05

“This is good work, Sabi, I must say.” Sivar Kash waved a handful of papyrus envelopes through the haze of tobacco smoke that suffused the hookah bar, a smile just starting to curl the right end of his lips. “You should congratulate yourself. The mere fact that I’m here, sitting with you, is a testament to your achievements.” The envelopes came to rest on the hardwood table with a rustle, though Sivar still held one. “I mean, really. The raid on the Kalil mines alone. Over two hundred slaves and a ready caravan of gems. How much silver was that haul worth, five talents? Ten?” “Twelve and change. I made enough to buy a home in the high tubes.” Sabi, a short, fat Delzahn man with a moustache like a black-bristled broom, grinned broadly. His gold teeth looked molten in the bar’s flickering illumination, and his eyes gleamed like the gems he stole.

Kash nodded, giving an airy wave of his hand. “Right. You see what I mean? You’ve done very well. I think you’re ready for the next step in your work here in Gem, Sabi, and I’m glad you’ve come to me to take that step.” Kash’s skin was tanned enough to make him seem a native, but there was no hiding the Isle’s influence in his speech and bearing. Only the most backwards peasants could mistake him for other than a man of the Realm, even this far south. “Your man Jun was very persuasive, master. As were the gifts he brought. My wives enjoyed the pearls particularly.” Kash’s smile broke over the rest of his face, his violet eyes sparkling with the movement. “I am pleased. Now eat, eat. Plenty of time to talk business once we’ve had our fill.”

The men were reclining on cushions, the hookah pushed to the side in favor of silver dishes of dates, glasses of mulled wine and plates of ground, salted pork. Sabi dug into this last with a will, almost forgetting his fellow diner in a rush to consume. Sivar merely watched, lying back on his makeshift couch of pillows. Somewhere a musician began to play a sitar, and Sivar smiled. He had a bite of his roast pork before he began to speak. “You know Sabi, this is a bit of a ritual for me. Whenever I meet a new business prospect like you, I get reservations at a hookah bar on the Entertainers’ Avenue and I order the salt pork. And you know, this is probably the best it’s ever been.” Sabi set down his fork, staring at his hands. His movements were sluggish, his breath rasping. Staring at the ceiling, Kash continued. “In fact, it’s too good. I’m tempted to go back into the kitchen once we’re done here and kill the cook. Because that’s what I do in this city, Sabi: I maintain the balance.”

Kash looked over at his dining partner, who was now very red in the face and breathing in frightened, phlegmy gasps. “Ah good, the poison’s working. But where was I?” Kash sat up, the leather of his white, violet-trimmed buff jacket creaking. “Right. You’re probably wondering what’s happening to you. You’ve ingested the venom of a very rare, very expensive Haltan spider, Sabi. You’re locked in place already, yes? Given time it’d stop your heart and lungs too, but don’t worry. I won’t let it get that far.” Sabi’s eyes were dark, watery pools of anger and terror, and his breath was rasping feebly. “I’m going to kill you in a moment, Sabi, but I want you to know: it’s not your fault. You’re too good, that’s all. You’re that piece of salt pork that needs to be balanced out.” Kash leaned forward and placed a kiss on the Delzahn’s forehead. Then he leaned back and reached into his left sleeve. His hand whipped back out, gripping a weapon’s hilt. In one smooth, lightning movement Kash drew a sleek, four-foot-long starmetal daiklave from his sleeve and whipped it forward. The kissed Sabi’s throat and was clear before the wound began to bleed.

Kash tucked the envelopes into his buff jacket, stood, wiped his weapon off on Sabi’s back and slid it back into his sleeve—where it disappeared, as though it had never been. The hookah bar was dead quiet. Kash flicked a single coin in front of Sabi and strode out the door without a second glance. A heavy-set, dark-skinned man in red jade armor was waiting outside, leaning against the wall with his thick, gnarled arms crossed over his chest. His bald head gleamed in Gem’s amber sunset, but his long black moustache drooped in the heat. “Business running smoothly, boss?” he asked, swaying away from the wall and falling in step next to Kash as he passed. “Smooth as Mnemon’s backside, Jun.” The Dragon-blooded grunted, the belts and harnesses of a dozen weapons clattering against his armor. “It’s refreshing, killing men like that,” said smiling up at the towering mass of the great volcano above. “So sure of themselves, so sure they’re immortal. They only realize at the end, when it’s already over.” Jun grunted, but raised an eyebrow when Kash didn’t continue. “Realize what?” Kash gestured back towards the receding hookah bar. “Simply this, my fire-blooded friend: there’s always an ending.”

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Sleep-fu
Artifact: Fluffy Bed of Sleep +10

18 Oct 2006, 23:08

It's not one of those "Once Upon a time in China..." I think...
Help mother earth by joining VHEMT.
It's the humane answer to what we've done to the world.

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

18 Oct 2006, 23:10

I don't even know what you're referring to, so probably not.

goselam
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Cowboy Ninja Bear
Fighting Style: Unseen Ursine Pistolero Prana

18 Oct 2006, 23:19

I'm guessing it's Once Upon a Time In America. I'm not highly familiar with the movie, though, so I don't know which characters are based on whom.

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7

19 Oct 2006, 00:23

Zeal wrote:
I don't even know what you're referring to, so probably not.

"Once upon a time in china..." is a movie series by Tsui Hark, it's also known as the "Wong Fei Hong" movie series. ^_^

Find out more here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_China

I REALLY recommend watching it to get some Wuxia ideas, it's all kinds of love... trust me.

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7

19 Oct 2006, 00:30

But it feels like it might be based on "Once upon a time in america" after my reading up on it.

And if you say that the Max and Noodles are the guys that are being based on... I'll be surprised.

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 Oct 2006, 00:33

I haven't the faintest idea what Once Upon a Time in America is, either.

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7

19 Oct 2006, 00:34

Now, you're just taunting us...

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/films/ouatia.html

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 Oct 2006, 00:40

This Noodles fellow does seem to have some similarities to Kash, but...no.

I didn't think this would be so hard. Hint: The "Once Upon a Time..." I'm referencing featured Johnny Depp.

Trakleman
Essence 2
Essence 2

19 Oct 2006, 04:03

Its "once upon a time in mexico", the sequel to "desperado, also featuring Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek. Johnny Deep actually did kill the cook in the movie, how come kash did not?

sooo.....do i get a cookie?
Trakleman

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 Oct 2006, 18:32

Trakleman has the right of it, and an internet cookie is his reward.

Kash didn't kill the cook because that would be silly, and because he didn't have a car trunk to stash the body in.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

19 Oct 2006, 21:59

Iselsi Navia and Kash would get along.

Seriously, I can so see it.

So, Zeal! What a nifty little piece! It's also interesting to see a Sidereal at work, instead of a Sidereal being pit against a Solar as they almost invariably are in stories (including mine). As a snapshot of his life, it definitely has a distinct flavor that I like.

Also, "Smooth as Mnemon's backside" + Four-foot daiklaves that disappear up people's sleeves = Win.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 Oct 2006, 23:41

Coming from the biggest fic-writer here, that's some most appreciated kudos, Fall.

He and Navia fit together even better when you know his super-secret backstory.

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

20 Oct 2006, 02:16

A fate-ninja with style.

WOOHOO!

Nice fic, Zeal.