Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

Re: Drabble Challenge/Requests: DO YOU WANT A DRABBLE?

08 Aug 2008, 00:42

Dallen Andair wrote:
[in character]

*Blink*

The hell?

[/in character]

Now...The hell?

Well, I did write it in 9 minutes. So...ummm...damn, I was hoping it made a little more sense than that. Good to know!
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Dallen Andair
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Ranger
Fighting Style: Sniper rifle and landmines. At night.
Artifact: Scoped Long Las

08 Aug 2008, 03:05

Oh, it made sense. It's just..the hell? :XD:

I could just imagine Dallen sitting there at a table and seeing he fling a bottle of liquor airborne before nailing it with a fuel bolt launcher concealed in a saxian, spraying fire hither and yon. He'd be mid sentence with Rhiainne or something and just suddenly "-what the hell?"
[img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4964/russia2.png[/img]

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

27 Aug 2008, 00:09

Epiphany kicked her desk in the depths of the Hallowed Reward. Beneath the Violet Bier of Sorrows lay the funerary site of the Sidereals, a place where their bodies would be safe from arcane links while establishing Fetter points for those ghostly Agents of Fate who chose to linger. Up until today, Epiphany's office had been the sole point of supervision for the dead Sidereals who lingered in Yu-Shan thanks to the access of the concealed Black Gate to Sijan. Working in the Hallowed Reward wasn't a reward, though. Or at least it wasn't meant to be.

"Fuck, I guess this means I need to move."

"Bitch, you need to get a life," Epiphany said.

"Bitch, you need to get some eyes," Shining Testament Forged in Umber said. He gestured emphatically at the sharp black clothes he wore and the body that lay beneath. "I'm dead."

Epiphany put her hands on her hips, then crossed her arms under her small breasts. Shining Testament glared back, adopting the exact same posture minus the breasts. They both wore black, they both glared and of course they would because they were the same person. Sort of.

"Fucking Mela, chained and spanked. Will you get over yourself? Go stick your head in Lethe already. 5,000 years wasn't enough for you?"

"You'd think so," Testament said. "But then Saturn had to go Exalt some whiny little Chiaroscuro dyke. Of course I had to stick around and make sure she didn't fuck up. You know how bad it'd look on my career if my next life was a fuck up?"

"Testament, what part of your first go around wasn't the result of a fuck up? You bitchslapped Nuche Keru in a Convention meeting!"

"Fuck me if I ever hear another 'Serenity is' quote. Anyone who quotes themselves deserves a bitchslapping."

Epiphany laughed and said, "I'm with you there. But you can move on. Seriously. I mean, you're fucking blind at this point if you think I'm a dyke. I like men."

"I used to just give you shit but then you had to go and get knocked up by a girl." Shining Testament shook his head, causing his wavy white locks to bounce about much like hers did. "I learned to shut my mouth, even if it took 5,000 years. And then you have to go and make it so fucking easy to take cheap shots at you. You'd think you were-"

"You?"

"Point," Testament said, nodding. "So, where we moving to?"

"Magenta Corridor."

His eyebrows shot up. "You've really gone Gold? Holy shit, this Seras must really be something. I hope it's worth it, doll."

Epiphany looked at him, brushed her black locks out of the way and sighed, glancing down. "She is."

The Sidereal and the ghost of her last life stood in mutely awkward silence for a minute. Then Testament said, "You still have to move your shit, so let's get packing. And do a good job this time, I'm the one who has to fucking organize the piece of shit file system you call an office. Oh, and let me give you a bit of advice."

"What?"

"Lick from the bottom to the top and make little circlely movements with your tongue. Clockwise. Lesbians love that, you fucking dy-" But Testament didn't get to finish his advice because Epiphany's Lower Soul punched him in the face. After all, even jokes like that have an Ending.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

31 Aug 2008, 02:06

ROTFL! :lol:

And I have nothing more to add.
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

Navia & Dawn Part 2

11 Nov 2008, 00:05

"Hello Dawn."

The little girl looked up from the building blocks in front of her. They were fun and had neat writing on them that she couldn't read yet but she would! Someday, she'd be as smart as Mommy and Daddy! The woman in black looked smart too.

"Hello."

"How's your Mr. Bear?"

Dawn stared up the woman. Her hair was very pretty, just like the rest of her. She had clear smooth marble-like skin and shiny green eyes like her Father. The hair, though, looked like a waterfall of flame. It was still morning and the sunlight that came in through the window lit her up like something on fire.

If only she didn't wear all that black! And so much of it. It looked like a dress, sort of, but it was big and just...big. It even had this see-through thingie that looked like it went over the woman's face. Right now, it was up.

"Do you remember me?" the woman asked. She looked like she'd been sad a lot lately but she wasn't sad right now. Or was she? She looked funny, like she was and she wasn't.

Dawn shook her head. "No."

"My name's Navia, Dawn. I brought you a stuffed bear. Do you remember? Do you still have your bear?"

"Uh huh." Dawn pointed at Mr. Bear over in the corner. She was older now but he was still a very good Mr. Bear, a fine Mr. Bear, the finest Mr. Bear there was. "He's my best friend."

"I'm very glad to hear that, Dawn," Navia said. She crouched in that huge black dress. "What are you building?"

"Stuff." Dawn looked down at her block wall, then lifted her chin proudly. "I'm building a castle!"

"I see. Here, may I help?"

Dawn nodded vigorously. The two of them spent the next era of a castle's life building it, putting people on the walls and waging their own little mock war. It was fun and Navia was fun to play with! She made sound effects and didn't ruin the game by just stomping everything and she played nice and she laughed and she was fun. Eventually, Dawn won the war, planted a flag in the middle of Navia's building brick castle and declared herself King of Everything.

The happy-looking woman laughed. When she stopped she looked sad again. So Dawn hugged her around the waist. After a moment, she was hugged back. Navia felt warm, safe, like Mommy did. Like Daddy did too. She felt like both of them. It was weird.

"I brought...I brought you another friend, Dawn. To keep you and Mr. Bear company."

She sounded even more sad now. It was like Mommy's 'sad for no reason' look, that Mommy usually got right before Mommy got mad for no reason. But Mommy was funny that way. This Navia lady wasn't funny, just sad.

Then she reached behind her back and brought around a golden monkey.

"A monkey!" Dawn yelled, jumping up and down. The monkey jumped up and down too, once Navia let it go, and it sprang to hug the child. Laughing, the two tumbled across the floor. The little monkey licked her cheek. That's when Dawn, giggling, noticed the monkey had a gem on her forehead. She tapped it. "What's that?"

"Something wonderful." Navia brushed the monkey's head and they looked at each other. The woman in black looked sadder than ever. "Here, his name's Seville. I'm leaving him here with you, okay? Will you take good care of him?"

Seville chirped at her. Dawn scratched him on the chin. "Yes!" she said when he hugged her around the neck. "You sure? You look like you'll miss him."

"I already do," Navia said. Her eyes were wet when she rose and walked to the door. "Take good care of him."

"Don't be sad, I'll give him back," Dawn said, half-climbing to her feet.

"Please do not. I want him to stay here with you." Navia looked back, dabbed at her face and said, "It's important to me."

"Why?"

"Because he's a Chillikin. They were made a long time ago for Golden Children, only his Golden Child was broken. He's had to endure so many nightmares from her, Dawn. Can you give him good dreams? Can you show him how a good little girl can be happy?"

"I'll be good, I promise," Dawn said solemnly.

"Thank you," Navia said. "Goodbye, Seville. May you be happier with her than you ever could be with me. I'll think of you always."

The Golden Child watched the woman walk away, then squeezed her new monkey tightly. It was a wonderful monkey and he'd make a good playmate. She looked around the playroom and scratched her head. His name was Seville. But who'd named him?

Seras Winterblood
King Winterblood
King Winterblood
Title: The Oversexed Tyrant
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Glorious Solar Saber bitches
Artifact: ModBlade and Aegis of Administration

11 Nov 2008, 00:09

I have the best kid ever <3

Also that was sad :<
Gaming Articles idea: go and post your thoughts
YOZI CHARM PROJECT: Sacheverell Isidoros
Angry Admin Text in Red.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

29 Nov 2008, 12:45

Ijeyua, the God of Enlightened Examination, rolled up his last review, then sighed heavily. The Jade Pleasure dome around him was so magnificent, so excellently the finest building in Creation, that simply gazing upon it should have been a distraction exceeded only by the Games of Divinity they contained. Even such flawless, transcendent superlativeness couldn't take his mind off the next review, however.

He sighed again, then tapped his finger against the desk and produced another sheet of Heaven-Wrought Parchment. "Most Highly Illumed Ones-"

"I don't know the name of the next reviewee," Jupitar said suddenly. "And it's not a Secret. Which can only mean it's one of the three nameless Sidereals in the Bureau. Which is it?"

"Epiphany," Saturn answered for Her. All five Maidens sat in casual luxury, clad in the finest fabrics ever made. Two of Them were distracted by the smooth, suave handsomeness of Luna who presently rested His head in Saturn's lap and his feet across Mercury's lap.

"It's a wonder You noticed," Venus muttered, who didn't approve.

"Why doesn't Epiphany have a name?" Luna asked suddenly. "The Hunter lost his to a Faerie and then there's that fellow whose name is still somewhere out to sea...or is it a woman, I can never remember." He stretched, then hummed contentedly as Saturn fed Him grapes.

"Epiphany was never named," Jupiter said, Her eyes fixed on the measuring rod She twisted endlessly in Her hands. "She was born, then abandoned. The orphanage that took her in had too many and none thought to name her because none noticed her apart from the other children. What a fascinating life," She mumbled, a smile on Her face. "The only one for whom Arcane Fate manifested so strongly, so early that no one remembered her..."

Ijeyua coughed into his hand politely. Thankfully, the Maiden of Secrets' sentence trailed off and the collective attention of the Incarna turned to him. "Very good, Ma'am. This is Epiphany's 19th annual review. Shall we begin with the Measure of Journeys?"

The God of Enlightened Examination looked at Mercury, who finally stopped giggling at the way Luna wiggled His toes at her. Though focused, She smiled the most sincerely and tucked strands of Her short blonde hair behind an ear in a manner any human would have found endlessly endearing.

"Epiphany meets expectations for the first time this year. Though she has traveled far in her years, she has always dug her heels in, resisted change and fought every assignment. Now, she moves with an army and her work with King Winterblood's Golden Empire has remarkably improved communication, travel and stabilized trade. She survived well against Ravenous Lion last year but her feet will take her on broader paths yet. For a Chosen of Endings, she has done, fine, fine work to further the Measure of Journeys."

"Very good, Ma'am. To You, Ma'am," he said to Venus, "The Measure of Serenity?"

"Epiphany's...reaction to Serenity is...unique," the Maiden of Serenity said, over the snickers of Luna. "Personally, she is more at peace than at any point in her life. Her newborn daughter Descending Dawn has brought joy to her life and her actions show a proper regard for Serenity's interests there. Broadly, Epiphany is a stabilizing influence on Seras Winterblood and, by extension, all she rules. As with the Measure of Journeys, Epiphany's behind-the-scenes administrative work not only improved trade and communication, but that stability has directly translated to statistically significant increases in meeting My Happiness Quotas for the North. Her demenor remains abrasive but far more lives are improved than harmed by contact with her. In this, she exceeds expectations. But please issue a notice to her that personal satisfaction can never interfere in the performance of her duties or she will risk an audit."

"Certainly, Ma'am," Ijeyua said.

"Epiphany exceeds expectations this year on the Measure of Battles," the Scarlet Maiden said, swirling a glass of Celestial Wine before sipping from it. "Her actions in the War for Springhome are noteworthy and her tactical involvement minimized the damage to the Tapestry such high-Essence military exchanges are prone to create. Her role as the King's advisor now continues that excellent pattern. The Battle between Exalts of sky and earth is inevitable now that the Jade Prison is broken and Epiphany's role will continue to minimize the dangers such necessary conflicts create. Please include her usual reminder that, while discretion is the better part of Valor, her use of Avoidance Kata is 220% of norm and far in excess of even the next highest user."

The God of Enlightened Examination penned the Maiden's comments down, his writing flowing across the Heaven-Wrought Parchment without thought. Next, he glanced at the Maiden of Secrets, only to find Jupiter smiling.

That rarely boded well.

"Epiphany...ah, Epiphany." The Maiden tapped Her lips with Her measuring rod. "When was the last time she met expectations on the Measure of Secrets?"

"That would be her 2nd annual review, Ma'am," Ijeyua said.

"Ah, of course. The Fulcrum Hammer Prophecy. As an employee of the Bureau of Fate, Epiphany has often found it challenging to integrate herself with the office culture. Her love of Secrets, while noteworthy, is always outdone by her refusal to keep those Secrets that are meant to be kept. Her knowledge of Underworld Astrology is valuable but she has made no effort to add to that value since her employment in the Bureau."

"Shall I mark her as needs improvement again, Ma'am?"

Jupiter held up a finger. "I would like her marked as outstanding."

The Incarna collectively looked at Maiden of Secrets, including Luna. "I think that's the first time I've ever heard you give someone an outstanding."

"Several factors contribute," the Lady of Emerald said, smiling serenely as she wound a long curl of red hair around her measuring rod. "All ultimately revolve around Seras Winterblood. That they have a relationship at all creates a myriad of fascinating intricacies within her higher and lower souls. She makes her love for Seras a Secret to others...but does so obviously. That she is in love with a woman is also a Secret by her behavior, but one exposed before it is concealed. This makes her the most challenging and thoroughly enjoyable Sidereal for Me to watch currently in Our employ."

"By Your criterion, that is an insufficient justification for an Outstanding," Ijeyua said, frowning. "Though I do recognize Your criterion itself, by definition, is at least partially undocumented."

"The greater part is this: Epiphany's relationship with Seras Winterblood is a greater Secret than she permits herself to recognize. Since infancy, her Fate has always been tied to the Underworld and the form it took by her Exaltation is an adversarial one against the Deathlords, the First and Forsaken Lion specifically. For a Sidereal less than a century old, Epiphany now works to fulfill everything she has meant to do. Her lover is her instrument, Seras' armies her weapon. The King will draw enough resource in Creation in the future to be the most likely force since the First Age to field enough strength to destroy the Lion's ambitions. And in doing so, Epiphany will accomplish everything she ever wanted, precisely as a Sidereal employee should."

"Your depiction does not agree with the color and quality of Serenity in her thread," Venus said, frowning at Her sister.

"Ah, but there's the capstone and crown," the Maiden of Serenity said, Her smile greater than ever. "Epiphany's Secret is so great even she doesn't realize it. Except, occasionally, she will wake from a nightmare with her lover beside her. She will hug herself for comfort, too frightened and ashamed to seek it from the sleeping woman she loves. And in that hour of the night, she understands more than she wants to and fears because of it. For all her hate of Necessity, she fears she is no different than any other Sidereal. She mistrusts her motives, worries all her work to support her lover is simply a machination too subtle to be seen. But she continues and will continue until the Lion falls at the feet of King Winterblood. And in that day, Epiphany will know that she has become both instrument and wielder, agent and executor of Fate...and that she will never be free of what she was born to be: A Necessary Ending."

Silence filled the meeting room, disturbed only by the Gods passing along the hall leading to the Games of Divinity. Without the Incarna actively playing right now, the intermission meant more foot traffic. No one was distracted by the movement outside, however.

At last, Luna shuddered. "And I thought I was being clever with how We worked out the Pivot Child Prophecy."

"On the Measure of Endings, Ma'am?" Ijeyua said, trying to move the review along.

Saturn at last put down the cluster of grapes She'd been feeding Luna and folded her hands across His forehead, using His head like She would a table. His chuckle suggested He enjoyed it. "Epiphany has always been a challenging employee, as You implied," Saturn said, nodding to Jupiter. "She is drawn to Endings yet refuses to embrace them. The Underworld fascinates her but, unlike the fine example of Mr. Kash, she has no interest in learning Necromancy. She may be the only practitioner of the Unleashed Starmetal of the Soul Style to actually understand less about herself than she did before she began her studies. But her personal qualities aside, I consider her actions. She directly contributed to the Ending of the inevitable conflict between the Bull of the North and King Winterblood. Her relationship with her daughter reflects a proper Ending of her maidenhood. More broadly, Epiphany's bureaucratic work has become as fine as any Chosen of Endings. Such vast improvement exceeded My expectations. Mark her as meets expectations, however, for she still has much to improve on and remains significantly behind in department culture development relative to her coworkers."

"So noted, Ma'am. Now, concerning her overall rating for Agent-level work?"

Saturn smirked. "She has been a member of every Directional Convention in the past twenty years. Three times, she attempted to return to her Ronin life, twice requiring Noelani Vailea to retrieve her back to Heaven. In the last year, however, her actions have led to the direct decrease of pattern errors in the North, down to 29% of past occurrences. Self-serving as it is, her indefinite assignment to King Winterblood has translated into direct savings for the Bureau of Fate. However, Agent Lingering Whisper filed a complaint for her use of coersion to remove the Astrologies he had on Seras Winterblood and, in like fashion, Iselsi Navia's report on Epiphany's willingness to directly oppose the Bureau over her Solar lover are unacceptable. You will mark her as needs improvement, and include a formal reprimand for putting the interests of a woman over the interests of Fate."

"..." Ijeyua's mouth had opened without thought but he couldn't speak under the direct gaze of the Incarna. Not when he'd almost objected. Inexcusable behavior for a God outside of the scope of one's purview.

"You have something you wish to say?" the Maiden of Endings asked, smirking.

"...does this mean I have to deliver it personally?"

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

29 Nov 2008, 20:03

Epiphany wrote:

"...does this mean I have to deliver it personally?"

:lol: Best line ever uttered by a god! :lol:
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

29 Nov 2008, 22:00

I like how Jupiter basically gave her outstanding marks because she thinks Epiphany is funny. XD
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

QuicksilverFox85
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Borgstromancer
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: All-Consuming God-Monster Stance
Artifact: Flame of the Untamed Wyld [Razor Claws]

30 Nov 2008, 00:33

Kailan wrote:
I like how Jupiter basically gave her outstanding marks because she thinks Epiphany is funny. XD

Ditto. I really like the way you write the Maidens, by the by. Also, I feel so bad for that god.
Catch you on the flip side...

^_^ QuicksilverFox85
Your friendly neighborhood Latin nerd

"Breakthrough in Borgstromancy - Nobilis Now More Than 10% Understood!
'I Think It's About Flowers,' Local Expert Says" - Axiomatic, rpg.net forums

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

02 Dec 2008, 19:57

Anteros: Really, if you were a dignified God of Heaven, would you want to talk to Epiphany?

Kailan: Hey now. Yes, she thinks Epiphany is funny. And, really, if I was Jupiter, I probably would too. But she's also crediting Epiphany with basically one of the biggest Just As Planneds in my entire setting, and is giving props to Epiphany all the more so because Epiphany's even keeping it secret from herself.

...which is actually rather creepy, now that I think about it.

Quicksilverfox: Thank you! Silly at it is, anytime I try to write the Incarna, I try to give them serious thought. Certainly more so than I do with most writing.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

02 Dec 2008, 21:30

......If a Sid ever gets outstanding marks from Jupiter, they either need to throw a party or commit suicide.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

02 Dec 2008, 21:43

Talking with your previous incarnation has got to be weird. That Exaltation must really like foul mouthed people.

....Actually, can an Exaltation Shard have Tourette's Syndrome?

Navia is one of the most weirdly selfless people ever. Still, even though she has to be rather jealous of Dawn, she makes sure that Dawn won't come to harm. I like that.

And yet, she would still only hesitate momentarily if she had to kill her for the "greater good."

Mod Text is in Green

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

30 Dec 2008, 01:25

Sometime on the road to Thorns

The early rays of the Sun broke over the sky's horizon, like fractures. Not breaks in a stained glass window but more of a flawless black night turning to stained glass with the rising dawn. The air was cool in the early spring. Mist collected on the tall savannah grass, clinging to the Caravans of the Guild camped here. The dew clung to the small, slender Dawn Caste as well, at least to the morning cloak she wore.

She knelt in the grass, eyes fixed on the sunrise. In perfect silence and stillness, she waited. Then a hand touched her shoulder.

Chen Sesus turned, smiling reflexively in expectation that Kestrel had decided to surprise her with a visit. That smile slipped into sober confusion as she saw the athletic blonde Waning Moon that had come with her wife. "Do you mind if I join you?" Iselsi Jue asked.

"Of course." The Lunar lifted an eyebrow and Chen flushed with embarrassment. "I meant, of course not. Pardo-"

"Think nothing of it." Together, Solar and Lunar waited to greet the rise of the Unconquered Sun. "Chen...may I ask you a question?" Surprised again, the Dawn nodded. "What do you see in Kestrel?"

"I don't understand."

"I've been by Kestrel's side for several months. I've had ample opportunity to assess her, to determine what manner of woman she is. To a degree, I can see what her attraction to you is. You are a remarkably beautiful woman, Chen. 18 years ago, I imagine there were possibly 30 women in all of Creation whose looks were as flawless as yours are. Statues lasting thousands of years have been carved for those with less perfection than your features bear."

"Do you claim Kestrel cares only for my appearance?" Chen asked, anger rising in her stomach and throat.

"Not at all. It does form the basis of her attraction. But your beauty could only draw her. The rest of who you are is what has kept her near you. In the time I have known her, you have always been on her mind. She has thought of little else but finding her way back to your side, even at the expense of her education. I am pleased to see you two reunited if for no other reason than that her concentration has improved remarkably. But I digress. I understand what Kestrel sees in you. She is drawn to your virtue, to your faith, to your steadfastness. She knows she has in you a heart that will never waver, never dim, never be distracted by the whims that afflict so many hearts."

"Then what are you asking?"

"I am curious what you see in her. To put it bluntly, Kestrel is not who I would have expected you to court. She is a bit whimsical, far more outgoing than you are and I wonder what you two have in common. You are both Exalts, both warriors, but I would be surprised if you two share a sense of humor to say nothing of passions, of hobbies, of interest."

"She loves me."

"There is far more to married life than love, Chen." Jue sighed, resting her palms on her knees. "Or so I've been told. What do you see in my apprentice?"

Chen exhaled softly, watching the air frost with the breath from her lungs. "To borrow from you: the attraction may be the same. Kestrel...is beautiful to me. Her smile makes me feel my pulse in my neck. The shape of her face, the curve of her hip, the...other aspects to her fascinate me as no other man or woman ever have. I feel moved, physically, and as much as it has shamed me, I cannot deny its hold or how right it feels when she holds me in her arms."

"That is the attraction. Why do you remain? Why did you ask her to marry you?"

"You call her whimsical," Chen said. "And perhaps that is true. But from the time she showed interest in me, that interest has never wavered. If her heart has not always been as unclouded as mine, I know her feelings for me wax ascendant. I...I do not understand her, often. But I believe in her. She proved herself worthy of my faith, Jue. She fought Icewalkers with me against her better judgment, protected a village that needed our help, helped me defeat a Devil who would have killed a small boy and she nearly died in my defense against the Grieving Lord."

"You value her valor?"

"Of course," Chen said, nodding. "But I value the other parts of her heart. You said she is more outgoing. That is true. She has always been more comfortable around people than I. More than that, she is drawn to other people in a way I am not. I cannot imagine loving another but she can. It offended me at first. But then she said something to me. She said she couldn't control how she felt but she could decide what she acted on. She chose me, Jue. And when she left for the Realm, I placed my faith in her that she would return. Then she did, with you. Promise made, promise kept."

The sun broke the horizon and both women ceased their conversation to close their eyes to their God's glory, whispering ancient rites that had endured thousands of years. Chen had never shared her worship with another woman, beyond her Holiness King Seras Winterblood. It added a touch of strangeness to her relationship with a woman she didn't quite know what to make of.

When their prayers were complete, Jue slowly rose, then placed her hand on Chen's shoulder. "Kestrel is more complicated than you think, Chen. Not more saintly, nor more wicked, but more of both than I think you perceive. You have a quality of innocence rare in this world. I fear she will hurt you without intending to."

"Then I will forgive her."

"Such faith," Jue said, gently chiding. "From one who has not known pain from that source."

"I confess my inexperience," Chen said, bowing her head. "My mother died giving birth to me and I knew of the proper relations between men and women only from my Otousan. I was a Rider of the Demon until little more than a year ago and we existed without thought of attraction or romance. But I will learn, Jue." Chen's magenta eyes firmed in the early morning light of the day. "Once I had never wielded a sword but now I use it with what grace is mine by the Unconquered Sun's hand. Once I would have had no idea whatsoever of how to love a woman. But Kestrel seems pleased enough with my efforts. I am inexperienced, Jue, and I do have much to learn. But I promised her to be her wife. And I will be a good wife to Kestrel. If I am not now, if at times I fall short of her standard, I have faith that I will learn and become a good wife to her."

"And if she is the one who falls short of your standard?"

Chen gave the matter some thought. At last, she shrugged slightly. "I have faith she will not. Should it occur, though, then I will strive to extend to her the grace I hope she extends me. I have done much that I regret, Jue. She has chosen to overlook those things. I hope I am a good enough woman to overlook her failings as well. I love her and I believe, no matter how great the pain from that source, that will matter most."

"May it be as you say," Jue said. Then, she held out a hand to the Dawn Caste. Chen smiled gratefully and took it. Together, they returned to the camp of their fellow Exalts, to ready themselves for the long road to Thorns still ahead.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

30 Dec 2008, 02:47

....At this point, I hold out hope that having Liger in her head is messing with her mind and she will get better after he dies the true death.

Edit: Sadly, this is apparently not the case. Or, if it is, he is still doing it, despite no longer existing.

Mod Text is in Green

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

19 Feb 2009, 01:43

750 in the Year of our Empress

The tents of the Tundra Bear King were silent in the midst of the snowstorm. Inside his sanctum, the young Full Moon knelt on the thick hides of the elk his tribe had killed. Not his tribe, of course. He'd grown up in the East, a long ways from here, but a Wyld Hunt had made staying anywhere near where he'd been dangerous. Up here in the north, no one would look at the Tundra Bear King and see Two Smiles Sideways.

The Lunar looked up at the statuesque woman sitting in the modest chair across from him. She wasn't especially beautiful, as beauty went, but she had a kind of charisma to her. Unmistakable power, that's what it was. Her eyes were a brilliant silver color, just as unmistakable. If she wanted to, she could pass for a God even more easily than he did. Not that she was interested in such things. Tiern-She was a No Moon Lunar, more devoted to Sorcery and teaching new Lunars than she was ruling over a barbarian tribe. Just as well, really. The Tundra Bear people were his people.

"What can I do for you, Elder?" he asked, as politely as he could make his gruff voice.

"You've been causing quite a ruckus," Tiern-She said. "I've heard tales of your Glory as far north as the Whiteskins. I remember when I found you, five years ago, and tattooed you. You were a brave man and you've done much with your valor."

"This tribe is mine. And what's mine will grow."

"Good," the No Moon said. "But you must move cautiously. There are many powers in the world that can challenge you."

"Are you saying I should hide?" the Tundra Bear King asked incredulously.

"There are many ways to win a war, and many ways to hold territory. Knowing your enemy does you credit. Your tribe has slaughtered and looted all those you've come across. Sooner or later, you'll anger the wrong Exalt or God and they'll take you by surprise. Listen to me or not but the wise Lunar would put his ear to the ground before walking into an earthquake."

"Wise words, Elder," the Tundra Bear King said. "Have some wine. I'm going to take a piss."

She shrugged indifferently and took a swig from his wineflask. The Full Moon smirked and pulled open the snowcovers on his tent. She'd be in bed with him tonight before taking her leave in the morning. He expected to find very little sleep. Snow blew into his eyes as he stepped out into the snow storm. Essence warmed him, one more trick that made the barbarians here look to him with awe. Snow was nothing. All challenges were nothing. Soon, his tribe would be greater than any in the Nor-

The Tundra Bear King's thought process, and his reign, ended when a white-fletched arrow shaft shot out of the blizzard and took him squarely through the right eye.

From her stool, Tiern-She straightened and looked out through the snow covers. She heard the thud of the Tundra Bear King's body and raised an eyebrow. The power of her Deadly Beastman Transformation form lurked beneath her skin but she let the power build a moment. Most expected Lunars to be pure creatures of instinct, always rushing in for the kill. They forgot there were many kinds of instinct, and she'd mastered them all. The Full Moon's killer would learn that in moments when they came for her next.

Sure enough, the tent flaps parted. A white cloud of snow billowed in, shrouded a white-clad winter apparition. Blinking, Tiern-She realized she was really looking at a woman clad in white hunting leathers with pale blonde hair. No wonder she'd blended in. The leathers were stained scarlet in half a dozen places, though, and the woman dropped to one knee as the heat of the tent hit her.

"If you came to kill me, I'll let you warm up a bit first," the No Moon said kindly.

"I-I've no problem wi-with you," the woman said, her teeth chattering. A black bow was clenched in her left hand but it looked like her fingers were too frozen to release it. "I'm from F-Forst Sjork."

"I see. I thought one of the King's Icewalker patrols had wiped it out weeks ago."

"They did," the blonde said, shivering as she crept closer to the fire. Her blue eyes were soft, faded, like a cloud on a sunny day. "I got back from hunting too late to save them. But I got them all."

"You killed twenty five Icewalkers by yourself?" Tiern-She nodded solemnly. "I'm impressed. But why tell me this when you stand in the camp of the enemy?"

"Because I just got my justice," the woman said. "That was the Tundra Bear King I just killed, right?" The No Moon nodded. "And you're Tiern-She."

This time, the Lunar raised both eyebrows. "How do you know my name?"

"Luna told me," the woman said, tapipng her forehead. A flickering silver caste mark faintly lit, its unsteady essence patterns showing how recent her Exaltation had been. "She told me to find you."

"You've found me," Tiern-She said, smiling warmly now. "Just in time too. I'll see to the Icewalker band and then I'll see to your tattoos. Afterwards, you can go or you can come with me. You're from the Realm, aren't you?" The woman nodded. "There's much I could teach you...and much I would learn of this Scarlet Empress I occasionally hear about when I travel far enough south. What's your name, cubling?"

The blonde finally dropped the bow, brushed her blonde hair back and smiled as she held out a hand to shake. "Kestrel Sesus. Nice to meet you."

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

19 Feb 2009, 02:16

Stupid Lunars die. This is a lesson every Lunar learns. Hopefully, they learn it from watching someone else, instead of having to learn it for themselves, for you never get a second chance to learn this lesson.

Mod Text is in Green

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

03 Mar 2009, 20:21

6 minute drabble go!

Da'nashay Rhianne looked at the tall, tawny Lunar with the ankle-length blonde braid and sighed. Sesus Kestrel was a Dynast by her accent alone, if not her choice of dress. The woman wore white-washed leathers that had clearly seen hard battle beyond the normal wear and tear. Still, she managed to fill them out more than adequately with a very pleasing expanse of hip and bosom.

The Fire-Aspect sighed regretfully. Despite the situation here in the Last Refuge, a city now lost in the heart of the Thorns' Shadowland, Rhianne couldn't seem to quite concentrate on the situation around them. Kestrel was, in a sense, her sister-in-law. The Lunar's Solar Mate was the Blasphemer, the Zenith Caste Solar named Yezenjen. Kestrel's Mate was the sister Rhianne never knew she had. Born to the same mother, if not the same father, it was still a connection the Fire-Aspect couldn't deny, nore could she deny how lonely it made her to look at the beautiful, bold Lunar.

"Hesiesh, will there ever be someone for me?" she whispered, too quitely for anyone to hear.

Her eyes fell involuntarily on Dallen Andair. Her partner for the better part of a year, the Easthavenite Outrider was a master archer, a surprisingly capable leader and a Sidereal. It shouldn't be surprising that a Chosen of Battles would take to conflict so easily. What surprised her was the unrequited yearning in her heart for the man.

Pointless, though. In the year she'd known him, he'd talked about little but his sweet, precious Velessa. Now he and she were reunited here at the Last Refuge. Rhianne wouldn't deny him the happiness of reunion. She just wished that, someday, there would be someone who'd miss her.

"Serenity is loving the world, even when there's no love left for you," she quoted, one of her mother's favorite sayings. Shrugging, she affected a smile and went to meet the rest of the Exalts assembled to save these people from the Mask of Winters.

From Righteous Sword, a few chapters ago. Poor Rhianne. She doesn't get love or camera time, it seems.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

03 Mar 2009, 22:43

I wish her mother had bothered to tell them that Fate was lying to Yezzie and that neither of her parents was actually a monk at the time (Ok, technically Navia was a monk for awhile, but she wasn't when she conceived) and that she and Rhianne are actually full sisters.

Although, I suppose it is possible that neither would remember her telling them that.

Anyway, as far as the story goes, yeah, that is sad. I wish I could think of a good person to start shipping her with. One would think Navia might add a little blue to her daughter's thread.

Mod Text is in Green

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Topic Author

04 Mar 2009, 20:59

Epiphany wrote:
Kailan wrote:
You're making me want to do something like this with my Sids, damn it. :P

And now you must do Amethyst. The power of love compels you!

You waited too long.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next review came up and Ijeyua, the God of Enlightened Examination, frowned at the name on it. Then he shrugged and passed it forward to the Five Maidens reclining in Their brief respite from the Games of Divinity.

"Most Highly Illumed Ones, the next subject up seems to be...Amethyst Ferem."

Each Maiden straightened slightly and considered the documentation he'd sent Their way. Jupiter used Her measuring rod to track lines of text while Mercury and Saturn looked perplexed. Jupiter simply smirked and Mars...Mars simply sighed.

"Any opening remarks?" he asked. The Maidens shook Their heads. "Then on the Measure of Journeys, Ma'am, how do you find her?"

"Ms. Ferem needs improvement," the smiling blonde Maiden of Journeys said. "She's a sweet girl, but sheltered. Sidereals are not called to shelter but to step from beneath the roof and brave uncertain skies. I expect she'll meet expectations by time of next review, though, with a little coaching. Sweet thing, she's so eager to please." Mercury sighed slightly, leaning Her chin in Her palm. "That needs to change too. Maturity is a long road and one she's barely noticed, much less walked."

"Very good, Ma'am," Ijeyua said. He marked down the Maiden's rating with a gesture, filling out additional comment fields with a mere thought.

Jupiter coughed. The God of Enlightened Examination paused in mid-finger stroke and raised an eyebrow. She simply stared at him until he concluded his passage.

"Ma'am?" he asked, when he was ready.

"Exceeds expectations." Several other Maidens raised Their eyebrows at the Emerald Planet. Jupiter simply shrugged. "On the Measure of Secrets, Ms. Ferem is wiser than You know. She draws out others while protecting herself. She has warded her identity from corruption, consciously or otherwise. She inspires trust and confidence in others, inspiring them to divulge their hearts yet those Secrets leave her undamaged. She is innocent without ignorance, wise without weakness, and in her own way she is as suited to Secrets as my Navia is suited to Serenity." Jupiter smiled enigmatically. "Just as planned."

"Ma'am?" Ijeyua asked, puzzled. She shrugged, clearly done explaining Herself. So he did as well, marking up the rating before moving on to Saturn. "On the Measure of Endings?"

"Needs improvement." Saturn smirked. "This is up from her unsatisfactory rating of last year, at least. Ms. Ferem still has little sense of appropriate endings. She has a fine appreciation for certain kinds while a shocking lack of interest in others. When it comes to relationships, she exhibits surprising common sense, but it's only recently that she's come to grasp any sense of Necessity. Even now, she struggles with it." The Maiden of Endings sipped a small glass of Celestial Wine and smiled with even white teeth. "Let her know she's improved but will need to continue her work on perspective."

"Very good, Ma'am. Now, on the matter of Battles...ummm...Ma'am?" The God of Enlightened Examination leaned forward, perplexed. "...Ma'am?"

Mars, the Maiden of Battles, facepalmed.

"...Ma'am, how would You rate her?"

The Maiden did not remove Her palm from Her face.

"...Ma'am, I need a scoring..."

Her hand didn't move.

"...shall we say unsatisfactory?"

The head behind the hand might have nodded, it was hard to say. Ijeyua shrugged and marked it down. "Very good, Ma'am. Now, on the Measure of Serenity..."

"Exceeds expectations." Venus smiled beneficently. "Ms. Ferem is a balance among My Chosen. For every perversion, there's purity. For every thrill, there's satisfaction. I'm pleased by the rampant licentiousness among My Chosen but so am I pleased by Ms. Ferem's model conduct. She loves, freely and kindly. She brings smiles to the faces of all," She said, pausing as Saturn coughed loudly, "who are not her coworkers," She amended. "Ms. Ferem's actions routinely reflect a principle I embody but rarely demonstrate. What's more, she promotes it in all she encounters. The world is demonsratably a better place for her presence."

"Of course. Now, on her overall rating for her work in the Capital Convention, how would You rate her?"

"How many lives has she saved?"

"Directly, 942. Indirectly, barring the Imperial Manse Incident, 42,017."

"Acceptable. What about the Incident?"

"Well, Ma'am...given her tears allowed access to her Manager, an Abyssal and the man who almost killed Creation, I'd say it's a net wash."

"Hmmm...meets expectations." Venus smiled fondly. "And please let Ms. Ferem know that, while her cookies have no bearing on the review process, it's very kind of her to think of Me. Promoting My happiness is also Serenity, after all." The Cerulean Maiden glanced at Mars. "You can look up now, dear, it's over."

Kalga
Essence 5
Essence 5

04 Mar 2009, 21:27

Journeys!Font hurts my eyes. ;_;

But otherwise nice. For all I hate the Sids, I like the Maidens.
Jukashi- Everyone likes giant magic lasers. Or so is the impression I have received...

Writes more than he finishes.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

04 Mar 2009, 22:43

....Can Ammy actually fight her way out of a paper bag?

Epiphany wrote:
Each Maiden straightened slightly and considered the documentation he'd sent Their way. Jupiter used Her measuring rod to track lines of text while Mercury and Saturn looked perplexed. Jupiter simply smirked and Mars...Mars simply sighed.

Was Jupiter supposed to be mentioned twice there?

Mod Text is in Green

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

04 Mar 2009, 23:39

*just laughs*

BrilliantRain wrote:
....Can Ammy actually fight her way out of a paper bag?

Actually? Yes. Yes, she can. She takes limit like it's going out of style when she fights, but she can fight. She's Compassion 5 but she's neither a coward nor a true pacifist - violence is just a last resort if all else fails.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

AstraKiseki
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Serenity Punster
Fighting Style: Throwing the Book at Them
Artifact: Codex of Oadenol

05 Mar 2009, 15:46

I laughed.

There needs to be an review where Sol comments, for some reason.
When sorrows wear on all our hearts
When time and tumult lovers part
We turn to our blue maiden's art
And strum the lute, to play our part!

Oath credited to the Demented One
:bluesid:

Kalga
Essence 5
Essence 5

05 Mar 2009, 15:53

Took Limit and cried after, but she did it.

:| Right.
Jukashi- Everyone likes giant magic lasers. Or so is the impression I have received...

Writes more than he finishes.