Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author
Title: That Thing
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: SAN-blasting
Artifact: Dividing By 0

Involuntary Pursuit (Exalted-Horror Short Story, part 19)

04 Oct 2007, 16:45

Standing out as a brilliant ball of gold and red light amidst the darkness of the storm, Unfettered Sky soared through the air with her aura rippling behind her. On all sides, lashing shapes of darkness swept hungrily around her. Any of the shadows that drew too close pulled back smoking from the touch of brilliant light around Sky.

Rain fell heavily, and splattered off Sky and her sword as she leapt. The great bloodshot eye at the center of the darkness followed her motions toward it. With an overhead swing, Sky brought her blade down in a wide semi-circle in front of her. Showing a speed it had not previously betrayed, the eye suddenly slid backwards away from the attack as though it were air.

“Oh no you don’t,” Sky growled. She landed below the void-like being, which retained its appearance of absolute dark despite the light erupting from her. The moment she touched ground, Sky kicked off and shot toward the eye with her sword outstretched. As she approached, the eye withdrew and uncountable tendrils swarmed in front of Sky.

Swinging as fast as she could, Sky sliced through the tendrils as she landed. Though her blade passed through them without purchase, the light of her aura burned them as it passed through. Almost as though in pain, they retracted away from her.

Sky landed again. Outside the blazing gold light of her aura there was only shifting darkness. The creature had her surrounded but could not bring itself to touch her. She lashed out with her feet, with a fist and with her sword at any part of the darkness that twitched close enough. “Come on monster... show yourself...”

Above, the dark split wide with silver fangs and revealed its eye again. Sky glared up at it from the center of the only light on the field. She flicked her arm up, and hurled her sword straight into the glaring eye. A thin trail of light followed the weapon as it spun and sank into the ephemeral substance of the eye like it was solid.

The same terribly scream, that almost made Sky’s ears, eyes and bones bleed, poured from the space the dark occupied. The entire mass fell back and shook violently. The tendrils lashed randomly on the plains, crushing briar and bushes. Even amidst the light, Sky was struck by several smoking tendrils. She rolled low and watched the beast thrash.

After several moments of chaos, the creature moved away from Sky. The rain began to fall on her once again. The monster turned away and flicked the tips of several tendrils across the air. Like scalpels the tendrils sliced the air itself apart. A ragged gate, an opening in space, formed and the creature began sliding toward it.

“Oh no you don’t!” Sky roared and burst into motion, diving onto the central mass. She grasped the handle of her sword, and pulled back. The blade tore through the dark around the eye, and hissing steam-like smoke poured from where Sky stood. Many tendrils reached for Sky, but could not touch her without recoiling reflexively.

In one motion, Sky still crouched on top with her sword buried in the mass, the monster hurled itself into the portal. Over her shoulder, holding tightly onto the beast, Sky watched as the rip in space sealed itself shut.
"There was a young lady named bright,
Who could travel much faster than light,
She went out one day,
In a relative way,
And came back the previous night."

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.
Jaito: "Necromancy is like Linux, but even less sociable"
<Logos> The sugar is Asian people.
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, watch it! I'm huge."
Hamster Style / Kitten Style / Hit 'Em With a Rock Style / Newest Icon Full Pic

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

Re: Involuntary Pursuit (Exalted-Horror Short Story, part 19)

09 Oct 2007, 08:58

Part 20 will be coming soon, I promise...
:^_^;:
She went out one day,
In a relative way,

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

10 Oct 2007, 00:26

It's so much fun trying to fit that thing into Exalted's cosmology.

Also, Sky is badass.

Also also, stories like this just make me laugh whenever I think about a Solar meeting vampires.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

10 Oct 2007, 08:38

Epiphany wrote:
It's so much fun trying to fit that thing into Exalted's cosmology.

That will shortly be explained.
:^.^:

Epiphany wrote:
Also, Sky is badass.

Also also, stories like this just make me laugh whenever I think about a Solar meeting vampires.

heh!
:lol: :lolrus:
She went out one day,
In a relative way,