Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

My Clever Maya (C:tL)

16 Aug 2008, 00:38

There are not words for how asleep I should be right now. But there you have it.

Not the next part of Blood and Bone, I'm afraid. For a variety of reasons that will be elaborated on eventually, this pieces was rattling around my skull. It is more or less related to the last C:tL piece that I did, in that it is the backstory of Clever Maya poeticked up. Tell me what you think!
-----

Once there was a girl, and her life was good. She danced, and played, and did her homework, and complained about chores, and all of the things that children do. And her parents loved her, and were proud, and every night as she drifted off to sleep, her dreams echoed with her mother’s words. “My sweet Maya, my clever Maya.”

And once there was a man, and his life was not good. And he was broken, somewhere deep inside, and he was twisted around himself like a knot, until he didn’t know hope from fear or pleasure from pain. And all that he wanted was love, but he didn’t know how to get it, so he tried to take it by force. And he took the girl away with him, and hid her in the darkness, and she was his wife and his daughter and his love and his hate. And he hurt her, and then he wept, and held her tightly and promised to love her forever. And every night, as she fell into sleep, his words chased her like hounds through the night. “My sweet Maya.”

And every morning she awoke into nightmares, and the days passed. And she prayed for him to go, to leave her in peace, and she prayed to escape into dreams and never have to wake to his voice. And one night, an angel came to her in her dreams, and his face was light and hope and purity, chasing away the darkness and the fear. And he held out his hand, and asked her to come with him to Heaven, where she would be safe and happy forever and a day, and no one could hurt her again. And as she smiled, and took his hand, they left the darkness behind to the echoes of his approval. “My clever Maya.”

And the angel took her to heaven, and the stars were in his eyes. And every day, as she woke to another dream, he showered her with riches and taught her to be strong. And she grew sleek and powerful, and she learned to protect herself, and she learned to fight and to hunt. And although every day was a dream, slowly she felt herself wanting to wake. And she thought of her mother’s songs, and her father’s beaming smile, and she grew lonely for them, and finally, after days untold and joys unnumbered, she sadly approached her angel and asked him to send her home, to see her family once again.

And he became enraged. And he hurt her. And afterwards, he told her to count her blessings, and sang her to sleep with the echoes of her mother’s words. “My sweet Maya, my clever Maya.”

And her love for him turned to hate, and her heart turned to ice, as her dreams turned to nightmares. And she saw that she was a slave once again, but not as before, for now she was strong. And she waited, and one day her chance came, and she woke from her nightmares and fled to her old home, with the anguished rage of her angel howling in her ears, calling for her. “My clever Maya!”

And as she stepped into her world, she knew her path, and she followed it into the darkness. And as the broken man opened his door, as he began to open his mouth to speak, she struck him. And she struck him and she struck him, the blood choking his cries, endless days echoing in her ears from years gone by. “My sweet Maya...”

And as his body fell to the floor, and the blood ran from her fingers, she saw the girl, a little thing crouched against the wall. And it was her, battered, terrified, but too beaten down to do anything but cower from the new monster, the thing that had destroyed her tormenter. And in that moment, the ice shattered, and she wept, and the girl wept. And she gathered up the child of clay, the doll that her angel had left behind so that the broken man would not be alone, and she carried her home. And she watched as her mother and father took the doll in their arms, and cried to it. “My sweet Maya, my clever Maya.”

And now she walks the darkened paths, and she watches the people hurrying on their ways. And she sees the doll, and her family, and watches as their pain slowly turns to joy, as their sorrow becomes cleansed, and she remembers her dreams and her nightmares. And she swears that she will fight forever, that she will never forget the lessons that he taught her, both deliberately and by mistake. And the wind echoes with the voice of her angel, and sometimes it is furious, and sometimes it is proud. “My sweet Maya. My Clever Maya.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

Re: My Clever Maya (C:tL)

16 Aug 2008, 19:16

Wow, Friv, I'd forgotten how much I really liked this character. The backstory is suitably creepy yet strangely inspiring.

And again I can't emphasize enough how much I like the fact that your Changeling actually likes her Fetch.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

16 Aug 2008, 23:20

Awesome narration Friv. :worship:
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

16 Aug 2008, 23:50

Many thanks. :D

Maya's backstory is one of the creepiest that I've done, and I remain a major fan of it. :)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

17 Aug 2008, 18:32

Epiphany wrote:
Wow, Friv, I'd forgotten how much I really liked this character. The backstory is suitably creepy yet strangely inspiring.

And again I can't emphasize enough how much I like the fact that your Changeling actually likes her Fetch.

Changeling is good for "I can see myself standing up to someone. No, really, look right there..." Among other things.
I write stories. No, really.