Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Wyld Coyotes Bastard Daughter
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: Blessed Sacrilegious Gonzo Method
Artifact: Cushioned Gossamer Tetsubo

Re: Post Your Recipes Here

10 Mar 2011, 23:39

Just bit of odd snack/treat i came up with.. nice and simple, and small, good for a kids party, or whatever!

Easy way i found is take a hostess cupcake (as many as you need) and freeze them solid, i freeze all mine because i like the firmer texture, so simple enough, otherwise it might take a day or two.

Once you get the cupcake frozen take a knife and carefully cut as big of a hole in the top as possible, if you line it up right and are careful you can pull out the top part and possibly even the Mallow fluff in one pull (or you can leave the fluff in if you like).

Take your favorite type of ice cream and place a moderate sized scoop into the hole in the cupcake and top as like, hot fudge, carmel, chopped nuts, ect.

Im seeing if you can wrap it carefully with a little plastic wrap and put it back in the freezer to save for later, say at a kids party as a desert or something.

Also works with normal cupcakes, though might take a little more work, unless you have a spoon with an edge ground onto the tip, like i do. Its awesome.. .. Just watch your lips when you eat soup..
Sure it is.. It makes me want to literally pick you up and throw you in a Vat of Acid!
Then fill it with Acid resistant Piranhas!
But The piranhas have salt shakers for eyes So as they eat you alive they are shaking salt into your wounds!
Also the piranhas are on fire.

Kaimera
Essence 4
Essence 4

18 Mar 2011, 19:45

Seeing as St. Patties was yesterday, and i ment to submit this then.. so just... like pretend this was posted yesterday.

12-20oz of mountain dew or citrus soda of choice.
1/4 lemon sliced into wedges and frozen solid
1/4 lime sliced into wedges and frozen solid
1 shot of Grand Marnier or Bicardi limon, (or both if you like)

Place lemon and lime wedges in frosted glass of choice (I prefer steins, simply because they make everything taste awesome) and pour either GM or BL into the glass and stir around coating the wedges. Carefully pour soda into the glass. Enjoy!

Has a nice strong citrus flavor, and stays cold for along time. THe lemon and lime wedges when frozen solid act as excellent ice cubes, and even when they do defrost they dont water down the flavor of the drink. As for spirits if neither listed are your choice any citrus flavored one works fairly well, and you can use more or less to flavor.
Sure it is.. It makes me want to literally pick you up and throw you in a Vat of Acid!
But The piranhas have salt shakers for eyes So as they eat you alive they are shaking salt into your wounds!

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: North Star Streaming Fist

21 Mar 2011, 17:01

I'm not ripping on your drink, but as a bartender, the idea of dumping Grand Marnier into Mountain Dew made me visibly cringe in the middle of class. :ohdear:
You know soft spoken changes nothing.

Muda da. Shikaiyaku Shinken wa muteki da.

Kaimera
Essence 4
Essence 4

21 Mar 2011, 17:34

*nods* Yeah, i get that on occasion, and its completely and absolutely understandable. But couple friends who are bartenders (who do cringe when i do it) say they really enjoy the drink.

But i tend to use it more for "cooking", such as mixing, to say.. Pancake batter, waffles, french toast.. ECT. Blaspheme i know, but the taste changes so much, and awesomely so.

I dont even really use that much when i mix said drink.. Its more for flavor then for anything else. Grand marnier gives a nice heavier taste, while bicardi limon makes it alot sweeter. I usually go one or the other, but on rare occasion i'll mix a shot worth of both if i've had a REALLY good day, or a really bad one and just want something with good strong flavor.

SO i do apologize to Connoisseurs, but hey, if you find you have a couple splashes left in a bottle, give it a try. Doesn't necessarily have to be mountain dew (thats just my favorite) Any citrus soda works well.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: North Star Streaming Fist

21 Mar 2011, 19:23

Hey, no offense taken. I can see where it'd be a fun little drink, but it sounds way too saccharine for my tastes. I have a homemade bottle of limoncello I'm tempted to try something similar with. I might recommend that next time you try a Curacao instead of Grand Marnier, though. Lighter, and I think the tartness would help contrast the sweetness.
You know soft spoken changes nothing.

Muda da. Shikaiyaku Shinken wa muteki da.

FlenceburgExile
Benevolent Clockwork Overlord
Benevolent Clockwork Overlord
Title: Overworked Celestial Bureaucrat
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: PRUSSIAN DEATH ROBOTS

16 May 2011, 19:31

Since I've been promising it for ages, here's my chili recipe. And before you decide to give me flack for it having beans in, I'd like to point out that, as a Texas native, that's my prerogative.

Evil Bastard Chili

Well, it's... hm, I'm not quite sure if it's chili so much as its evil bastard cousin, but I liked it. It's dark and smoky, with a meaty richness up-front... then the heat hits you.

Procedure the First: The chili powder

In lieu of using store-bought, I decided to make up a batch of my own chili powder. I started by tossing 2 tbsp of cumin seeds onto a hot griddle, followed by 3 guajillo, 4 ancho, and a few japones chilis (all stemmed, seeded, and chopped). Once the cumin was nice and toasty, I threw the hot spices into a food processor with 3tbsp of garlic powder, 1tbsp dried oregano, and 1tbsp-ish of smoked paprika.

Voila! We can has chili powder.

Procedure the Second: Let's make some red

(bear in mind that all these measurements are approximations. I was basically eyeballing everything as I went.)

Or more precisely: 1 lb of ground bison(looked like about 80/20 meat to fat ratio) and 1-ish lb of bison chuck, cubed. This all got hit with s&p, then tossed into my Dutch oven with a little bit of canola oil and allowed to brown.

Once the meat was finished, I removed it with a slotted spoon and used the fat to saute a chopped 1015 onion and 3 cloves of garlic.

The meat then got tossed back in the pot with 6 tbsp of the chili powder, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of black coffee, and an 8oz can of tomato paste. Oh, and also 4 chipotle peppers, chopped and 1 tbsp or so of the adobo sauce.

I let all this simmer, lid off, for about half an hour. After that, I added 2 cans of (drained, washed) black beans, 2 tbsp of tomato paste, a little more garlic powder, a dash of ground cumin, 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, lidded up the Dutch oven, and let it cook on low for about - oh - 4-5 hours or so.
Did you think you would be saved by the gods and idols you have made?

AstraKiseki
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Serenity Punster
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Throwing the Book at Them
Artifact: Codex of Oadenol

14 Sep 2011, 11:59

I'm a weeaboo when it comes to food, and recently, I got a copy of Personal Trainer: Cooking. I ended up getting addicted to one recipe, which I ended up improvising into something that's more my own. Most of this is approximations, since I don't measure the amount of veggies I use.

Astra's Okonomiyaki (serves one because I only make this for myself)
1/3 cup flour
A few leaves of cabbage (I tend to go a little bigger)
One green onion
Garlic powder, black pepper, dried onion flakes for flavoring. Cayenne or paprika would add heat, but I'm a pussy. Just add spices that you like
Whatever veggies you like, to about half the amount of the cabbage. I usually add in broccoli.
One or two slices of Bacon (or another meat, but not a lot, since you have to put it ON the pancake to be cooked)
Enough oil to lightly coat the pan you are using (I use a cast iron skillet that takes a tablespoon, the original recipe says a teaspoon)
Mayo
Crap you'll need from a Japanese Market
1 and 2/3 tablespoons of dashi stock (You might get stuck with this in bulk and dry, so be prepared)
1.5 oz of chinese yam
Aonori and bonito flakes to taste
Okonomiyaki sauce, or if you can't find the stuff, worcestershire sauce works just fine

First things first, chop up the onion, the cabbage, and the bacon, keep them separate and set them aside.

Next, peel and grate the Chinese yam. I recommend being ready to use it in something else, since you don't use a lot in this and I end up with a LOT of leftover yam.

Handing the dashi stock... if you're lucky and got some liquid stock, use that. If you didn't, measure out the water needed, then put about an eighth of a teaspoon of the dried stock into it.

Get the flour and the egg into a bowl, put in the dashi stock and grated yam. Mix it a little bit, then add in the spices and mix until it's completely blended. Then add in the vegetables (cabbage, green onion, whatever else you have) and mix it all together.

Heat your skillet at medium heat with the oil until it's hot/water pops when you sprinkle it on the skillet. Once it's ready, pour the batter mixture onto the hot skillet and put the bacon/meat on top while you wait for the bottom to set, and use a spatula to press the meat in. Once the edges have started to set/dry and there's bubbles forming in the batter, flip it over and press down on the pancake to make sure the batter and meat cook evenly. Flip it again and just generally check that it's all a nice golden brown before getting it on the plate, meat side up.

Now, get the sauce, okonomiyaki or worcestershire, and drizzle it on the pancake. The okonomiyaki sauce is thicker and easier to spread, worcestershire is less sweet and is liquidy, so you have to be careful not to put too much. Once that's on there, put the mayo on top, then the bonito flakes and the aonori to taste. I tend to put just enough bonito to cover the whole thing, about a handful.

Then nom.

/astra's crappy recipe writing
When sorrows wear on all our hearts
When time and tumult lovers part
We turn to our blue maiden's art
And strum the lute, to play our part!

Oath credited to the Demented One
:bluesid:

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

14 Sep 2011, 14:04

Okonomiyaki, eh? I've yet to try it. *snags recipe*
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Penance
Essence 1
Essence 1
Title: Damn Sidereal
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic Style

25 Oct 2011, 19:36

Mama Leone's Meat Sauce for spaghetti (my absolute favorite)

1/2 lbs applewood-smoked bacon (hickory is not a valid substitution, salt pork is)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter
3/4 lbs onions (comes to 1 onion usually) diced
1 lbs lean beef (shoulder works well) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 lbs lean pork shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 bay leaves (crumbled preferably)
5 garlic cloves, mashed
1 tbspn rosemary
1/2 tspn ground allspice
1 tspn black pepper, ground
5 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped (more realistically, get two of the large diced tomato cans)
1/4 lbs carrots, peeled, sliced
1/4 lbs celery, sliced
6-8 ounces tomato paste
1tbspn salt

Combine bacon (or salt pork if substituting) with olive oil and butter in large saucepan, melt the butter.
Add onions, sauté to medium brown.
Add beef, pork, and bay leaves. Stir.
Cook slowly, uncovered, 30 min.
Chop garlic and rosemary together, add with allspice and pepper.
Stir well, continue cooking on low for 20 minutes.
Inhale the aroma. (Yes, the recipe says that.)
Cover, cook for 5 min.
Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, and salt.
Simmer slowly for 1.5 hours, stir occasionally. Don't hurry if you want it to taste good.
HERE YOU ARE EITHER DONE, OR CAN CONTINUE TO:
Let cool 10 min.
Strain.
Add tomato paste, stir well, bring to boil.
Check for salt.

At the end, if you are a salt-junkie like me, you'll want to add more! I like angel hair pasta for this, but it's up to youuuu. :om:

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

19 Dec 2011, 16:28

The best cheesecake I ever had in my life. I first encountered it in New York City this past spring when I was performing at Carnegie Hall and had a few hours of downtime between performances and rehearsals. I later made it from scratch following an approximation of the recipe they use at Junior's in Brooklyn, and now it is my present to all of you. Happy holidays, TFS. :<3:
---

First of all, YOU WILL NEED AN ELECTRIC MIXER. Trust me on this. I tried doing this by hand for like two minutes before my wrists threatened a coup d'etat, and in the interest of preserving my hands and fingers for art-related endeavors, I gave in and found an old mixer. Ideally a stand mixer would be great, but Kailan is poor and just used an old 70's hand-held.

Second, you will probably want a springform pan. This is not difficult to find; most stores with household appliances and cookingwares carry them, and it's useful to own anyway if you bake like I do. The other item that might be useful here is a sifter, but it's not vital. I don't actually have one and I made this fine with no problems (just a little extra work).

Lastly, these are technically two separate recipes because there are two components to this cake. This cheesecake recipe uses a sponge cake layer rather than the hard cracker crust Southerners like me are accustomed to. It was a different experience from start to finish, but I think I prefer the results.

Sponge Cake Crust Ingredients:
• 1/3 cup sifted cake flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 extra-large eggs, separated
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 drops pure lemon extract
• 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
• 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese (use only full fat), at room temperature
• 1 2/3 cups sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 extra-large eggs
• 3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream

Sponge Cake Crust Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan (preferably a nonstick one). Wrap the outside with aluminum foil, covering the bottom and extending all the way up the sides.

2. In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

3. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes.

4. With the mixer running, slowly add 2 tbsp of the sugar and beat until thick light yellow ribbons form, about 5 minutes more. Beat in the extracts.

5. Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand, just until no more white flecks appear. Blend in the melted butter.

6. Wash the mixing bowl and beaters really well (if even a little fat is left, this can cause the egg whites not to whip).

7. Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl and beat with the mixer on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites will stand up and look glossy, not dry).

8. Fold about one-third of the whites into the batter, then the remaining whites. Don't worry if you still see a few white specks, they'll disappear during baking.

9. Gently spread out the batter over the bottom of the pan, and bake just until set and golden (not wet or sticky), about 10 minutes. Touch the cake gently in the center. If it springs back, it's done. Watch carefully and don't let the top brown.

10. Leave the crust in the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Leave the oven on while you prepare the cheesecake batter.

Cheesecake Filling Directions:

1. Place one package of the cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch in a large bowl and beat with an electic mixer on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl several times.

2. Blend in the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time, scraping down the bowl after each one.

3. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining 1 1/3 cups sugar, then the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one.

4. Beat in the cream just until completely blended. Be careful not to overmix! Gently spoon the batter over the crust.

5. Place the cake in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes about 1 inch up the sides of the springform. Bake until the edges are light golden brown and the top is slightly golden tan, about 1 1/4 hours.

6. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours (don't move it at all).

7. After two hours, leave the cake in the pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely cold, preferably overnight or for at least 4 hours.

8. To serve, release and remove the sides of the springform, leaving the cake on the bottom of the pan. Place on a cake plate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice the cold cake with a sharp straight-edge knife, not a serrated one. Cover any leftover cake and refrigerate or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.

A few tips, courtesy of Junior's:

• Bake the cheesecake crust in the same spring-form pan you're using for the cheesecake. Watch the crust very closely; since it's so thin, it needs only 10-12 minutes to bake.
Always bake the cheesecake in a water bath. It keeps the heat in the oven moist and helps the cake bake slowly, gently, and evenly. This helps ensure that your cheesecake comes out of the oven with a smooth top and no large cracks.

I swear this recipe isn't that complicated, it's just that you have to be careful about the sponge cake. It's a bit more effort than most of the baking I do, but totally worth the results. :3
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.