Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Boarding School Drama Magnet
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Vicious rumors and one night stands
Artifact: Safara of the Five Truths daiklave

Re: The Freshman 15 - Second Day of School

25 Jan 2012, 08:35

Is she serious? Amneir wonders as she looks at the offerings. I honestly don't know which would be worse, if she was serious or joking.

Still she reaches out and graciously accepts the apple and bone.

Oh Dragons where did they get this bone? What if it came from the trash? Ewewewewewewewewew!!!

"I accept." Her voice is soft and steady, belying her internal freak out.

This had better be an initiation prank, like when I had to streak in primary. She better start laughing and talking about how she didn't think I'd do it, but now that I have it's time to go to the REAL party where there will be drinks and gossip and boys!

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Lookshyan brat
Fighting Style: Awkward flailing and some hair pulling
Artifact: Magitech and heirlooms

25 Jan 2012, 08:57

Kaetris spins around, but whatever had caught her eye is gone. She takes a slow, deep breath and creeps down the hall in the direction of the movement.

It is the rabbit, it has to be the rabbit. Somehow the unfortunate animal has slipped out of Amneir's room; maybe the Ledaal dingbat had lost track of it, or maybe Kaetris had let it out by accident during her conversation with the automaton. Either way, the animal belonged back in its cage.

"Here, bunny," Kaetris calls out softly, in Riverspeak. "Here, bunny bunny. Cute little bunny."

She takes a chunk of apple from the half-eaten pastry and holds it out in front of her as bait, but her free hand shifts to the dagger on her belt.
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Overworked Celestial Desk Jockey
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Beat It Until It Stops Moving Style
Artifact: Bringer of Peace [Starmetal Grimscythe]

25 Jan 2012, 12:47

((Rolled in chat, but mIRC32 won't let me see the damn logs. I hates my laptop sometimes...Mong, Ingenue, and Overqueen can confirm my rolls; 10d10, Intelligence 5 + Presence 3 (spend 1 Willpower to switch War for that) + Stunt Dice 2. Rolled 1, 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10. Six successes.))

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author
Title: Dead-Eyed Angel
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Righteous Devil Style - aka Shoot It Till It Dies
Artifact: Twin Orichalchum Plasma Tongue Repeaters

28 Jan 2012, 17:55

Amneir: The bone feels smooth and clean in your hand, like it was polished rather vigorously. The apple is still crisp and dripping with juice onto your hand, having been freshly taken from the dining hall at dinner. The Cynis smiles even wider, an event already seeming impossible, as you accepted the items.

"Very good. Now, please hold tightly onto our relics. They'll be very important for our ritual tonight." She turns to address the group, having given you a 'you may take your seat' look.

"Sisters. Tonight is the night we've been waiting for. For weeks we have studied and prepared, sending missives between ourselves before our travel to school. We brought in the required components, and have found the last member needed. Tonight we may perform the ritual, and solidify ourselves as the advanced students of our class!" Her hands are held out wide, her body moving to face each member of the circle as she spoke.

Kaetris: There's the sound of scuffling in the shadows, and that's when you notice it. Shadows. Normally these hallways are supposed to be lit with glowstones, but this hallway has been noticeably darkened. Where the glowstones once sat attached to the wall are now empty sockets. Such sockets were made to be incredibly difficult to open, in order to keep the normally unstable glowstone from being dislodged or stolen. And yet, they now sat empty. And in the darkness there were more sounds of scuffling, and another flash of white.

Morgan: Croix stares at the board. He waits much longer than he ever did for a move against Kaetris. His eyes flicker back and forth over the board, the reflection in his pupil almost displaying the hundreds of moves he's contemplating and playing out in his head. He is a strategist and knows the game backwards and forwards, but even this he had difficulty. Morgan gave the presence of having a perfect plan, of knowing exactly what he was doing, and yet none of it made any sense. A few of his hairs almost went noticeably out of place as he reached forward for a piece, and then pulled back. He then reached out and began moving pieces about, pushing back Morgan's offensive and striking into the openings in his defense. His moves were quick and precise.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

28 Jan 2012, 21:08

Kaetris finds this to all be very disturbing, but when confronted with a problem or a troubling situation her first instinct is to tackle it head-on. Retreat is a very secondary option.

"Here bunny bunny," Kaetris murmurs. She's shifting nervously on the balls of her feet, the hair on the back of her neck tingling.

Slowly, she pushes up the sleeve of her dress to reveal the Recorder of Everlasting Glories. Sparing it a quick glance, she dials up an image of the garden outside of her manse on a bright summer's day, projecting the hologram into the hallway in front of her. Hopefully that should light her way.

(I'm not sure if that is an appropriate use of the Recorder. If it isn't, Kaetris also has the candles on hand, which I imagine she can light using Shaping Hand Style to create matches or a flint and steel.)
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

29 Jan 2012, 11:46

Amneir keeps quiet about how dubious she feels about the authenticity of the "relics" as she returns to her seat.

At her words, she suddenly doubts that this group has anything to do with Kira's murder. Oh well, maybe she can still use this to her advantage...somehow...

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

30 Jan 2012, 10:12

The quick reversal of fortunes didn't break Morgan's calm any - despite a distinct lack of true skill at the game of Gateway, the situation itself had been planned for well in advance. Plus, he had already accomplished one of the operation's primary objectives. Now secondaries would come into play.

The openings in Morgan's defense fell in swift order under Croix's precise offense, units shifting around into a truly dizzying (and confusing) array of formations. Dealing with them piecemeal likely wouldn't be difficult, by any means; but the scattering made it immensely time consuming. Morgan moved his pieces not with an aim of victory now, but to stymie Croix himself - turning the Peleps' counter-offensive into an exercise in frustration.

If anything, that damn smile grew even more maddening.

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author

01 Feb 2012, 23:22

Kaetris: The recorder brings up the holographic image of your garden, the sunlight resting upon the green blades of grass and the waves of flowers. An occasional chirp of a bird echoed down the hallway, the image lighting the hallway but not to the extent of the glowstones. The light filters out into the darkness, but there are still plenty of shadows on the edges. The normally calming sound of a nearby running stream gives little helpAhead of you there's a heavy clunking sound, and a single apple rolls out into the light from the shadows. It stops and rests on the floor in front of you.

Amneir: The circle members each open their small black books to the third page, pausing until the Cynis gave them their start. In unison they began to read aloud. It was in Old Realm.

"Whimsical Adorjan, Mischievous Ebon Dragon. Flying serpents of the inverted God. We call on you to hear our plea. We request a minion to do our bidding, we demand a lesser part of you!"

They all speak in a practiced tone, while you still hold the bone and the apple.

Morgan: Croix lets out a sigh, moving his pieces about to attack your separated pieces...and then stops. Instead he gives you a look, and begins to move his pieces back to his side of the board. He created a powerful defensive formation, most of the pieces you still have likely not breaking through it. He leaned back and gave you a tired look. "You done?"

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

02 Feb 2012, 08:09

Running her fingers across the Recorder, Kaetris reduces the resolution of the image to make it easier to see through. Then, with a curious squint, she taps the apple with her sandal and picks it up, giving it a quick look-over. What was all of this about?

"Hello?" she calls out as she cautiously treads down the hallway. "Hello?"

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

02 Feb 2012, 21:07

Amneir swallows back her scream as she listens to the prayer. Her nails dig in a little into the apple while she keeps the pleasant smile on her lips.

This is NOT good!

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author

07 Feb 2012, 09:34

Kaetris: Another apple rolls out of the shadows, and then an orange. They bump against each other as they rolled, bouncing past you as you move down the hallway. Though as you get closer, you begin to see flashes of reflected light from the halls. The light is faint and muffled...but any citizen of Lookshy will recognize the flash of a blade when they see it.

The walls are lined with fruit pierced to the wall with knives. Dozens of knives, ranging from blunt butterknives to sharp cleavers. The juice of apples, oranges, berries, and melons drip down in long streams, several of them starting to pool on the floor.

Amneir: The girls continue their ritual, their words becoming louder and filling the small room.

"Open the wound in the side of Malfeas, the elder god! Push through your servant so they may work for us! We will earn your favor, or die trying! Take this from us in return, tak-"

The ritual is interrupted as the door to the janitor's closet is thrown wide up, the bright light of glowstones in the hallway flooding the small dark room and blinding most of the girls. A shadowy figure stands in the doorway, large and obstructing as it glares in silence at the girls in the room.

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

07 Feb 2012, 09:45

For reasons that even she could not explain, Amneir holds on to the "relics" as she was instructed, even when the ritual is interrupted. She cowers back as the shadowy figure fills the room, just hopeing that it is not that horrible janitor and his "pet" snake. She would immensely prefer the Dominie himself since she would be able to explain that she thought she had a lead and was simply investigating it.

....was there still time to the Northern Rum balls?

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

07 Feb 2012, 13:02

Two things are now obvious to Kaetris. The first is that whoever made this wall-mounted fruit salad must be nearby, since the juice is still running. The second is that the bunny probably isn't involved.

Kaetris, for all of her intelligence, has an uncomplicated mind. There is a problem (the produce abattoir), possibly connected to another problem (the murder of Kira), and a likely solution to both (find the culprit). Therefore, she will find the solution.

First, she takes a look a the glucose-stains to see if there is any rhyme or reason to how the fruit is arranged on the wall. Failing that, she continues down the hall to look for who's responsible for this mess. Her fingers tingle with the build up of energy as she readies the essence for an Elemental Bolt.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

08 Feb 2012, 10:59

Morgan watched the board for a moment, then simply shrugged. He'd set out what he wanted to accomplish - tweaking the smug young man's nose, and driving him off-kilter, at least for a time. Really, anything more was simply icing on the cake.

"Done? Hmm...for the most part, yes, I suppose. Thoroughly entertaining, though; quite fun indeed."

That damnable smile appeared again, and he idly flicked out a finger, knocking over his Empress piece. A forfeit. The question is...did Croix really feel like he'd won?

"However, I suppose the fun has gone out of it. Truly, a shame, though we must do this again in the future. Do you wish to collect on your prize immediately, or postpone it?"

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author

08 Feb 2012, 22:56

Kaetris: More and more of the fruits are stuck to the walls by knives and forks. Their variety is astonishing, many are rare and valuable fruits that only grow in remote areas. And yet here they are, pierced to the wall like a common produce. Eventually you come upon smears of red on the wall. Berry juice. They're thick letters, obviously made by the touch of fingers, spelling out a message.

"Stop interfering."

The hall is full of silence. Nothing scurries, nothing moves in the shadows. Nothing white flashes. But the feeling of eyes is heavy upon you.

Amneir: The shadowy figure steps forward into the room, a familiar limp in his walk.

"WHAT BY THE DRAGONS ARE YA LOT DOIN' IN MY CLOSETS!?" It's the voice of the janitor from before, the one who had stopped Amneir as she attempted to take candles from the supply closet. The snake is wrapped loosely around his neck and shoulders, its eyes staring at you all as its master fumed. The Cynis leading the group seems stunned, the words to the ritual frozen on her lips.

"I...it was...we were told we could be in he-"

"NO! NO REASON TO BE IN HERE SO LATE AT NIGHT! OR EVER!" He shoved the door of the supply closet wide open.

"Out! Out of my closet! If I EVER find ANY of you in here again, I swear by the dragons I'll be shippin' the lot o' ya home!" His eyes rested on Amneir. "And I already told YOU to stay out of here! And ya jus' come walking back in? If I see you in here again, I'm takin' it straight to the dominie!" The girls are starting to scatter, collecting their small books and relics and rushing past the janitor.

Morgan: Croix stared at you, and then at the board. Then back at you.

"I would say now...though I'm afraid I cheated and took most of the rewards already." He leaned forward, resting his chin on his palm as he stared at Morgan's eye. His other hand raised up, his index finger sticking straight up.

"The first one. Satisfaction of curiosity. I was curious as to the extent of your wits. I'm satisfied to know that you know nothing of the game, but are willing to take risks to try and make another feel less than he is. A tactic I often enjoy using." His middle and ring finger stuck up as well, three fingers pointed in the air.

"The third one. A test of sanity. You're not sane. Or at the very least, not stable. Granted, most with facial prosthesis often lose their sanity eventually. You've just taken a liking to it." His pinkie finger stuck up, now with four fingers.

"And as for someone sharing Amneir's room...well, now I know that someone IS in her room. Wouldn't be a human or dragonblooded, as that's against the rules. Likely a pet. A pet of interest if you chose to bring it up. Good to know, and I can easily figure it out." He leaned forward even more, his other hand joining the first under his face.

"So, the only prize I haven't taken yet is the riddle. I believe I'll choose that one."

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

09 Feb 2012, 05:06

Amneir flees with the other girls, still holding onto the relics and keeping herself close to the Cynis.

Worst. Night. Ever. she thinks to herself as she runs.

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

09 Feb 2012, 08:56

"No," Kaetris mouths in response to the message on the wall.

Wait, did she just say that aloud? Never mind.

Spinning around, Kaetris checks the shadows behind her and further up the hall. All's quiet. She turns back to the fruit and takes a closer look, all the while keeping half an eye on the shadows.

There! A slight drip on the carpet, away from the walls and any of the fruit. A trail, perhaps? Following what she hopes is a clue, Kaetris plunges into the darkness after the culprit, muttering something about bunnies under her breath.

(Kaetris rolls Perception + Awareness (5 dice) plus a 1-die stunt

<Henry> !roll_ww 6 7 ex
<The_Lady> Henry invokes the Lady...
<The_Lady> 1, 4, 6, 7, 7, 10
<The_Lady> rolled 6d10. Got 4 Successes against a TN of 7, 10's are counted double

4 successes.)

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

09 Feb 2012, 10:49

Morgan's enigmatic smile...changed. Became more genuine. Albeit in Morgan's case, that was more than a little off-putting. Both eyes fixed on the young Peleps, and he bowed politely.

"I do not suffer from insanity, no. I relish every minute of it. The only refuge in a world of sanity is madness, after all."

Upon righting himself, he tilted his head and mulled over the other student's answers - funnily enough, he hadn't taken into account that his opponent's deductive skills might be superior to his own. A suitable punishment for his arrogance. Still, recovering from it wasn't particularly difficult - the test of sanity had been the gamble, and the others he still technically "won". A few moments of pondering, and the Ragaran scion shrugged. A riddle, then.

"...If you look you cannot see me. And if you see me you cannot see anything else. I can make anything you want happen, but later everything goes back to normal. What am I?"

A riddle his father had once asked him. The answer...was something he valued greatly.

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author

09 Feb 2012, 23:48

Amneir: The girls all run off, some breaking off down different hallways as their rooms came up. The Cynis, when finally satisfied that they were a good distance away from the janitor's closet, stops and catches her breath.

"That...that was un-unexpected. We were so close...so close to completing the ritual!" She looks over at you. "Hold onto those relics, youngest sister. We will still need them. Keep them safe and protected! We will call upon you again soon." She darts off, holding her books and holding up the hem of her dress as she ran.

Kaetris: The trail is faint. Whoever left it behind is very good at hiding their tracks, and there were spots where you lost the path, but you managed to pick it up again. It weaved through the hallways, leaving the dormitories and entering the teaching facilities. Up a flight of stairs, a few spatters of plum from a dropped fruit on the top of the staircase. The trail gets fainter and fainter...until it suddenly becomes much more noticeable. A pool of juices are leaking out from underneath a door. A door that you recognize. It was the classroom where you had attended class with your botany professor earlier, the one who had saved the poisoned students. Dark stains hang on the inside of the glass on the upper half of the door.

Morgan: Croix thought. His forefinger tapped against his chin, his eyes staring at Morgan. "...Imagination?"

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

10 Feb 2012, 07:50

Taking a slow, deep breath, Kaetris turns off the Recorder, returning the hallway to dim darkness. First things first. With a whisper, she sends out a message on the wind to Muhara, Morgan, and Amneir.

"I have found something of suspicion in Professor Mapel's classroom. I cannot wait to look. Please come quickly, but come carefully. There may be danger."

She reaches out to open the door, and if it doesn't give way immediately she is prepared to force it open, whether by crushing the lock, smashing the door with an Elemental Bolt, or giving it an old-fashioned kick.

"Professor Mapel?" she calls out hopefully. "Hello? Anyone there?"

Kaetris crouches down low, so if someone is waiting for her to come in his attack will go over her head.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

10 Feb 2012, 10:37

An quasi-smile, and Morgan opened his mouth to reply...

"I have found something of suspicion in Professor Mapel's classroom. I cannot wait to look. Please come quickly, but come carefully. There may be danger."

The young man's head whipped to the side, staring sightlessly into the air, and a tiny breeze kicked up around him. The quasi-smile changed to an extremely satisfied one, and he turned back to Croix.

"Timing is impeccable...yes, imagination. A precious commodity indeed; I do hope you'll permit me to test yours again, sometime in the future. If you'll excuse me."

He bowed politely, then spun on his heel and walked quite coolly out of the hall. Then, after a few moments of walking in the hall, he broke into a dead sprint.

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

10 Feb 2012, 12:50

Amneir stares at the apple, wondering how she is supposed to keep that fresh and ready for the next ritual. With a sigh, she returns to her rooms and hands them over to Inigo. Compact servants are programmed to know how to do all sorts of household tasks. He can figure it out.

"Therius, I'm starting to think that all these bookish types don't know what a party really is. Remind me to ask Grandmother for some...provisions. Don't they know that reading causes wrinkles?"

The spider speaks patiently, "Somehow, I don't think they care too much about that. But I am sorry to hear that socially you aren't doing as well as you hoped. The Lookshy girl was poking around in here. She ran off when she saw me."

"Ugh, what a bitch! I wouldn't violate her room like that. Ah well, just more proof she's a spy." She has just reached for the clasp on the back of her neck to take off the dress when she hears Kaetris' message. She glares at the air.

"Well if YOU can't handle it, what help do you think I'LL be?" With an exasperated sigh, she heads out again, grumblng to herself. "So ridiculous...cutting into my beauty sleep...haven't even been able to do a mud masque...if there is another body and I find it..." She stamps her foot and growls her frustration before making a more concentrated effort to get to Kaetris.

Raiden
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author

10 Feb 2012, 18:39

The inside of the classroom is dead quiet, save for the sound of crushed fruit squishing under kaetris's feet. It smelled sickeningly sweet, with the buzz of escaped insects also buzzing about in the air. The lights are all off save for a window on the wall. The silver moonlight seeped in and illuminated parts of the room, showing more squashed fruit. The trees and plants they had been taken from showed signs of damage with torn leaves and cut stems lining the floor.

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

10 Feb 2012, 20:38

Kaetris appraises the situation, seeking out likely hiding places and deciding on the best way to search the room. It looks empty, but she's not ready to believe that yet. Not only does it seem likely that that the culprit is still nearby, given the apparently recent nature of the damage, Kaetris has convinced herself that there is going to be a fight and she's reluctant to let go of the idea.

So it's a modest miracle when she doesn't spin around and blast Morgan with an Elemental Bolt when he sneaks up behind her. Well, not that he was trying to sneak - he's running, after all - but he's quiet enough, and Kaetris is wholly focused on the dark room, so she doesn't notice him until he's practically on top of her.

She emits a muffled grunt of surprise. "Oh, most good," she whispers, "you are coming quickly. I do not know what is happening in truth, but someone has made a joke of Kira's killing. See? He has pierced the fruit just as she was pierced. And I am thinking he is in there." She points into the classroom.

"Are the others near?" Kaetris cranes her neck past Morgan, looking hopefully down the hall.

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

10 Feb 2012, 20:59

There is a click and Amneir appears in the hallway in her dress, one hand resting on her hip.

"Do you know what I gave up to come here? I expect fitting recompence. Now, what is going on with the fruit salad on the wall? Don't tell me you needed help to figure out how to cut it." She rolls her eyes.