Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Lookshyan brat
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Awkward flailing and some hair pulling
Artifact: Magitech and heirlooms

Re: The Freshman 15 - Fourth Day Of School

12 May 2012, 22:46

Kaetris barely pays attention to the last class of the day. Once it's over she trudges back to her room, still rattled by the sight of the soulsteel.

"Oh, hello," she says to Morgan and Althena, meeting them in the hallway as she unlocks her door. She twists her mouth into a smile. "What can I be doing for you?"
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Overworked Celestial Desk Jockey
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Beat It Until It Stops Moving Style
Artifact: Bringer of Peace [Starmetal Grimscythe]

13 May 2012, 01:03

Morgan shrugs, leaning on the wall. Lot of ground to cover - though where the hell was Amneir?

"Something we didn't get to earlier. Organization for the investigation. We've got a lot of leads, but we haven't been pursuing them, sharing data, or making links. Which means we need a proper sit-down session to hash all this out. The sooner we find our murderer, the sooner this sword's not hanging over our collective necks."

He was already collecting a list of the leads they'd come up with in his head - the trick was which ones to prioritize. He looked between Althena and Kaetris - between the three of them, Kaetris was the most capable - but she and Amneir would probably try to beat each other into a tiny greasy spot. Althena was friendly with her, but they weren't going to be walking around alone if they could help it. But then, Amneir was no slouch herself...he came to a decision - if she didn't show up within the next half-hour, he'd go collect her himself. She came up with the lapis lazuli lead, and that was one of the high-priority ones.

"I brought tea."

ashlayne
Essence 3
Essence 3

13 May 2012, 10:30

"Ooh, what kind?" Althena's face lights up when Morgan mentions having brought tea. The unstrung green jade bow gets leaned against a corner of the room, and Althena sits on the corner of Kaetris's bed again.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those you want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

13 May 2012, 11:54

After doing a quick security sweep, Kaetris slowly drags one of the chairs over to the window and sits down. She sighs and soaks in the sunlight for a minute, collecting her thoughts. Eventually she turns back to the others, reaching into her pocket and pulling out her notebook as she does so. She still hasn't gotten over the sight of the soulsteel and the memory of it touching her, but she's trying to do her duty.

"We are having many things to be looking at," she says, twirling a pencil around in her fingers. She flips past a page filled with the haikus she doodled during library class, onto a fresh sheet.

"We must find who was killing Kira. We are having some information on this.

"On the one, Kira was not killed with violence, so it is good chance she was knowing this person. Who was she?

"On the two, Kira was killed in a place with lapee lazoolee, and maybe on an altar of it. Where is it being?

"On the three, the person killing Kira was knowing much about the Anathema. There were many signs carved on her, including secret ones, and she was being killed with orichalcum. What are these signs meaning?"

Thinking about the state of Kira's body makes Kaetris visibly upset, and it takes her a moment to regain her composure.

"On the four, the killer destroyed honored Profesor Mapel's lab. Why?

"On the five, the killer was also poisoning students. Is this being connected to Professor Mapel's lab?

"On the six, demon servants. Where are they coming from? Who can summon such a thing?"

"On the seven, we are having Kira's diary. What is being written in it?

"On the eight, the bunny." Kaetris does not trust the bunny.

She finishes making her list, checking off the items with her pencil. She looks up at the others.

"Other ideas?"
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

13 May 2012, 13:44

"Chiaroscuro breakfast tea. We'll put a kettle on in a bit."

Morgan flopped into another handy seat, assuming the Ragara Morgan Slouch Of Villainy Number One (as in his character picture), and listened to Kaetris's breakdown - with only the occasional nod. At her query about the journal, he reached into his coat and flipped it out, spinning it on his finger by the spine.

"Note on the journal - made some headway on the translation, but not much; there's an encrypted name that might have some bearing, but I won't know more until I've gone another few months back on the entries."

He cracked his neck to the side, and flipped the journal back into his coat. The teen lapsed into silence for a moment, cogitating, then spoke again.

"Make sure to destroy that paper once we're finished. Eight questions - let's narrow down to avenues. Questions one, seven, and eight could possibly be answered through the diary. We are already approaching that vector. As for question three, I explained prior when we saw the body - marks of the different Anathema castes. I can go into that again if you prefer, but moving on - avenue one. Add another question - we still do not know how she was killed; corollary one a. That I have a suspicion of - and there are two avenues I want to pursue there. The first is Professor Mapel; if Kira was poisoned, that seems the most likely link between the mass poisonings and Kira. Remember, she wasn't killed with orichalcum, she was pinned up there. Perhaps Mapel examined the body post-mortem before we did? Second avenue is more legwork - the library or perhaps Althrax; methods of sorcerous killing that don't leave marks. Terrestrial Circle has some methods, if memory serves, but I'll need to do some digging."

Ponder-ponder-ponder. Morgan's fertile mind was hard at work, worrying at the questions and organizing them; although his words weren't quite as organized. Stream of consciousness thinking; always fun.

"Okay, so three avenues right off the bat. The journal can give clues to one, three, seven, and eight. Professor Mapel can likely give us clues to questions one a), four, and five. Hitting the books will probably give us clues to questions one a), three, and six. Question two will likely be garnered by simple exploration, or inquiry with someone who knows the building well. The bunny is in our custody, so that's low priority at the moment. Given that it's held in the best secured room we have beyond my own - Amneir's no physical slouch, and she has an Essence Spider there as well. Where the devil is she, anyway?"

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Boarding School Drama Magnet
Fighting Style: Vicious rumors and one night stands
Artifact: Safara of the Five Truths daiklave

13 May 2012, 17:27

Amneir enters as she knocks, stopping as she sees them all gathered.

"Ah, you were still meeting, I was not sure. I came to get my things and Sir Flufflehops." She starts gathering up her cosmetics and clothes. She stops and hangs up the sketch of the dress she did last night for Kaetris.

"A splash of color." She looks at everyone. Her golden hair is still a little wet. "So, what are you talking about with the door unlocked and no one on watch?"

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

13 May 2012, 17:34

Morgan pointed to his own vividly red eye, the Essence Sight active and staring at the room at large.

"Very little can slip past this."

Though he did deliver a somewhat flat look at Kaetris - she was the one with the keys. "Do go lock the door behind Amneir, please. Althena, please bring Amneir up to speed. We're discussing how to progress with the murder investigation - organizing our leads and avenues of exploration; your comment on the lapis lazuli is one of the higher-priority ones, I thank you for that."

He inclined his head gratefully.

ashlayne
Essence 3
Essence 3

13 May 2012, 18:02

"Basically, jus' tryin' to figure out what avenues of approach we're all gonta take in this search. Kaet summed up what we know pretty well, an' Morgan mentioned talkin' t' Professor Mapel an' doin' some research either with Prof Althrax or in th' library on sorcery an' such. The last shouldn't be too far outta place given we are kinna in a school for magic and expected t' learn that, hey?"
There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those you want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

13 May 2012, 18:14

"I see. Well I don't see what use I will be. Professor Althrax and I do not gt along, and I have no desire to talk to Mapel. And anyway, I have a party to plan and decorate. Not to mention a six page essay AND a weekend long detention." She gives a dark look at Kaetris. "So I fail to see how I will be of any help. But I will tell Inigo to help with anything he can."

She gathers her things and picks up the rabbit's cage.

"I trust that is all?"

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

13 May 2012, 18:35

Morgan listened and shrugged, then one of the things she'd mentioned struck him. He gave her a curious look - "A party? I was unaware there was a school function shortly - that would be an excellent chance to take stock of what students we might come into conflict with...or at least ask questions under the auspices of sociability."

Stop. Brief moment - if the others didn't know better, they could have sworn Morgan was embarassed.

"...not my greatest skill." He coughed. "Well, if you could keep an eye open for anything involving lapis lazuli, perhaps ask Professor Drakkon? That would be sufficient for now. As for the essay, that should not be a problem. Do a rough outline or some such and I'll handle the rest before the boat leaves tomorrow - Althrax wasn't entirely unreasonable when he did that, but our purposes cannot brook interference at this juncture. And he was being a bit of a...jerk. If he complains or calls on it, there are three responses he cannot deny or argue with - chief among them that as Dragonblooded we are expected to assist and hold up one another." The teen shrugged, smiling. "The Thousand Correct Actions says so, after all."

"As for security...best we avoid seeing throats slit anytime soon. Given that we now have the murderer's attention and he's involving demonic assailants. Amneir, you'll be with the Professor for the weekend - your safety should be fairly assured. Althena, try and remain close to Kaetris if possible. During school hours, we'll try and stick in either Kaetris-Althena, Morgan-Amneir, or Kaetris-Morgan and Amneir-Althena pairs. Keep the combat-skilled ones with the less capable ones in case of ambush. Everyone in agreement?"

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

13 May 2012, 19:19

Kaetris looks at Amneir's picture and gives a small shrug and smaller smile. She thinks it is a bit vain to have a picture of herself (sort of) hanging up in her room, but she wants to make Amneir feel appreciated. And it is pretty.

"Yes, it is most important that we are never being alone," she says. "Amneir will be safe, with her spider and automaton to look over her in her room, and Professor Drakkon during the weekend." She winces guiltily at that. "But otherwise we should be sleeping together, so that we are more secure.

"On the clues, I will be talking to Professor Mapel, yes? I have done this before, so it will not be suspicious for me to do so again. Morgan, would you like to be talking to Professor Althrax? Or would it be better to be giving the task to someone else, so you can be finishing reading the diary?

"Amneir and Althena can be looking for lapis lazuli, although we can all be doing this around school. I am thinking this is all?"

PeleCindertind
Essence 6
Essence 6

13 May 2012, 20:36

"Sleeping together? Oh I think not! First of all I rather enjoy my privacy. Secondly, what better way to make ourselves look suspicious. Aside from the fact that we are all first years, there is next to nothing that would explain why we would be spending time together. As an additional, I have been making a network of several friends and I doubt you would get along with them." She pauses and looks at Althena. "You might. But Kaetris, you would not like them. And Morgan, while you might physically appreciate them, I highly doubt you would find them enjoyable companions. So thank you, but no. I will be declining offers to sleep together. But I will see what I can find out about the stone."

She looks at Morgan.

"The party is not a school sponsered event but something that is being put on privately. I do not want to reveal too many details yet, but I will do what I can to get you three on the guest list. As for the paper, I can write it myself. The time to offer to help was when he was humiliating me in front of the whole class!"

She picks up her bags and the rabbit cage.

"Now good night, all of you. Come on Sir Flufflehops."

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4

13 May 2012, 20:45

Morgan shrugs. "Your call. As for why we associate with one another, already planned that - we have the same classes, and we were the first on the murder scene. We're simply scared we'll be next. Strength in numbers. Beyond that, I doubt anyone will care."

The teen does a hand-wavy motion, and takes out a small box from his pocket; he places it on the side table. "Take care of yourself while we're gone, Amneir. And thank you. All of you. For, if nothing else, patience. We do not say that enough to each other, perhaps."

Ragara Morgan pushes himself out of his chair, faces Ledaal Amneir straight on, and executes a right formal bow. He does so to Althena and Kaetris as well, before resuming his seat with the same dignity.

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5

13 May 2012, 21:28

Kaetris shrugs. "It is my duty to be sure that you are safe, Amneir, and I will not fail. But you should be safe enough to be sleeping with your servants watching over you. Professor Drakkon should be keeping you close as well. Um, erm..." She blushes. "I am meaning he should be watchful, for he is a devoted instructor.

"And be careful of the bunny." Her eyes narrow.