Evaluate (Int): Basic
Gamble (Int): Basic
Logic (Int): Basic
Scrutiny (Per): Basic
Search (Per): Basic
Silent Move (Ag): Basic
Swim (S): Basic

Talents:
Basic Weapon Training (Universal) (Bolt, Las, Launcher, Melta, Plasma, SP)
Pistol Weapon Training (Universal) (Bolt, Las, Launcher, Melta, Plasma, SP)
Melee Weapon Training (Universal) (Chain, Shock, Power)
Thrown Weapon Training (Universal) (Primitive, Chain, Shock, Power)
Sound Constitution (+1 wound)
Peer (Nobility) (+10 Fel vs group)
Peer (Underworld) (+10 Fel vs group)
Decadence (Double failed tests to pass out, +10 to resist addiction)
Enemy (Von Manstein) (-10 Fel vs group)
Die Hard (May roll twice to avoid death)
Weapon Master (Blades) (+2 to damage, +10 to attack, +2 Init with blades)

Gear:
Angevin-era Best-Quality Powersword (Melee, 1d10+6+SB, 5, Powerfield, Balanced, +10 to attack)
Good-Quality Hellgun (Range: 110m, S/3/-, 1d10+4 E, 7, 30, 2 full, Reliable)
Good-Quality Mono-edged Sword (Melee, 1d10, 2, Balanced, Mono-edge upgrade, +5 to attack)
Micro-bead
Voidsuit
Enforcer Light Carapace Armor (5 Armor, All locations)
Bolt-shell Keepsake
medikit
Manacles
Arms coffer
Krieg Gas-mask

Backstory:
House Ferox was unlucky; sort of drifted from a good Military
house to one with a solid grounding in the criminal element, primarily concerning
itself with protection rackets, extortion, gambling, gunrunning, and smuggling
his father sent him to the schola where he met Alexei, and the two of them had
a grand old time of it there; one time they even retrieved a matched pair of
Angevin era blades. But eventually all good things had to end, and he was returned
to his home, where he was expected to take up the mantle of his family's arms-master
and champion he rebelled against this, his days at the schola having unfortunately
(to his family's eyes) instilled him with a sense of honor that an Ultramarine would
be hard-pressed to match, though he quickly fell into a decadent lifestyle while
he tried to ignore his family's dealings Eventually though, he gave up and massacred
his family, their servants, and every single renegade and cutthroat they dealt with.
During the purge, he wiped out several highly-placed members of the von Manstein family,
and they declared a vendetta against him. and sent a poorly trained assassin after him.
Feeling insulted that he warranted such a poor quality opponent, he killed his assailant,
and left, searching out his old friend Alexei for an escape route. Through his influence,
that they managed to hold together the remainder of House Zhukov's military forces, turning
them into the Legion of Redemption and he earned his place as Alexei's First Officer.

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Sidereal

Re: [Rogue Trader] Angelus Vindictae - Interest

30 Oct 2011, 02:35

kyriotsu wrote:
Looks good, Mei! Foreshadowing's a solid power, it'll come in handy quite a bit. You might also want to snag Gaze Into The Abyss at some point, it'll come in handy for some advent-uh...I mean it'll come in handy! That's what I said, you all saw it! :ssh:
gaze is on the list ;)
Other than that; it's The Lidless Stare, not the Lidless Eye (Grammar Nazi HEIL! Sorry. >_<),
no worries - corrected :)
and don't worry about the Aquila lander, we've got more shuttles and gun-cutters than we know what to do with already. ^_^ But for an Initial Acquisition....hmm...Light Power Armor would be a beast to maintain and keep energized, how about a Warp Antenna or a Warp Sextant for the ship? Or a Best-craftsmanship Almanac Astrae Divinicus! Make your job of Navigation a bit easier. ;)

ship components... a) not sure i could afford them (especially since both are archeotech!) b) do we have room? energy?
an almanac astrae divinatus would be pretty awesome though
or navis primae (treasure maps anyone?)

just noticed a conversion field - looks pretty nice too mind you

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

30 Oct 2011, 02:38

Gaelic Ninja wrote:
Angevin-era Best-Quality Powersword (Melee, 1d10+6+SB, 5, Powerfield, Balanced, +10 to attack)

from 'pride' right? isn't that only a chainsword?

Gaelic Ninja
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Writer of Words Wrought on Creation
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: Melee
Artifact: Storyteller Pen

30 Oct 2011, 06:37

Mei Yu Lian wrote:
Gaelic Ninja wrote:

from 'pride' right? isn't that only a chainsword?

I was asked if I wanted a power sword instead. Not being a total crazy, I said yes.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author
Title: Overworked Celestial Desk Jockey
Fighting Style: Beat It Until It Stops Moving Style
Artifact: Bringer of Peace [Starmetal Grimscythe]

30 Oct 2011, 11:22

Really, don't worry about the Initial Acquisition roll rule. Provided the item you want isn't unreasonable or just silly, and can be explained by your backstory (a member of an ancient and wealthy Navigator noble house acquiring a useful tool to aid in this massive expedition to rebuild one of their former premiere clients, perhaps? With the expectation of adequate renumeration upon returning to Imperium space?), then I pretty much say go right ahead and take it.

Oh, and please add to your inventory list your choice of either a House Zhukov Uniform or House Vor-cle Uniform, and one Kriegan Gas Mask (standard issue on the AoV).

Namagomi
Essence 1
Essence 1
Fighting Style: Blocking. Lots and lots of blocking.

30 Oct 2011, 22:58

Alt Kiriel - Rank 1 Void Master
Wounds:8
Soak: 7 all (AR 4, TB 3)
Fate Points:5
EXP:5000 (Expenditures: Dodge trained(100), Basic Agility(100) , Bounty Hunter(250), 50 remaining)
Role: Master Helmsman (+10 bonus to Evasive Manoeuveres action)

Statistics
Weapon Skill:(2)0
Ballistic Skill:(5)0
Strength:(3)0
Toughness:(3)0
*Agility:(5)0
Intelligence:(4)0
Perception:(3)5
Willpower:(4)0
Fellowship:(4)4

Insanity Points:5
Corruption Points:4

Origin: Forgeworld -> Stubjack -> Hunter(Bounty Hunter) -> Hand of War(VOID PIRATES) -> Fortune

Skills:

Common Lore(Imperial Navy) (Int)
[B]Common Lore(Machine Cult)
[B]Common Lore(Tech)
Common Lore(War) (Int)
Forbidden Lore(Xenos) (Int)
Intimidate (Str)
Navigation(Steallar) (Int)
Pilot(Spacecraft) (Ag)
Pilot(Flyers) (Ag)
Scholastic Lore(Astromancy) (Int)
Speak Language(Low Gothic) (Int)

Talents:
Basic Weapon Training(Universal)
Bloodtracker
Hatred (Void Pirates)
Pistol Weapon Training(Universal)
Melee Weapon Training(Universal)
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Technical Knock

Special:Stranger to the Cult (-10 penalty on tests involving knowledge of the Imperial Creed, -5 on Fellowship tests to interact with members of the Ecclesiarchy)

Origin Mods:
Face of the Enemy (Never willingly have dealings with void pirates except in absolute necessity, and if so, -10 to Fel in those. WP test in case of provocation or react violently toward them)

Special Ability: Mastery of Space (Reroll all failed Manoeuvre Action tests aboard a ship)

Gear:
Common Mordian-Pattern Power Sword ("Skeleton Key")
1d10+5 E, Power Field, Balanced, Pen 5

Good-quality Mezoa-Pattern Grenade Launcher
80m, Clip 1, Rld Half

Grenades
-Frag Grenade x2
2d10 X, 9m or Launcher, Blast(4)
-Krak Grenade
2d10+4 X, Pen 6, 9m or Launcher
-Stun Grenade x2
Special(all in blast must test Toughness or be stunned for 1d5 rounds), Blast(3), 9m or Launcher
-Flash Grenade
Special, 9m or Launcher

Common Ceres-pattern Bolt Pistol
1d10+5 X, S/2/-, 30m, Tearing, Pen 4, Clip 8, Rld Full

Guard Flak (AR 4 all)
Micro-Bead
Void Suit
Blessed Ship Token
Rebreather
Kriegan Gas Mask
House Zhukov Uniform
Beggar's Cloak
Amasec (two bottles)

Backstory:

Alt was born on a remote forgeworld by the name of Chama--one known for heavy factionalization between the different Magos who run it, the Skiitari being used as personal armies, rampant lawlessness, and proliferation of personal flyers due to the topography of the planet. Like many others, he was slated for a lifetime of work, but was most notably not interested in this; needless to say, with money running out on his end, he was stuck between resigning to being forced to work, or being put to use as a servitor. As such, he went to take a desperate third option; trying his hand at bounty hunting.

Needless to say, he was lucky to an extent with his first target. A mix of decent leads, well-placed bribery, and catching the target with their pants down aided to this--and when he actually got the reward, this let him decide his path. Somewhat--there were the weapon and ammunition expenses, as well as the bar tabs at times, which forced him to get to get to work rather quickly going after another target.

It wasn't long before Alt was forced to go offworld to catch a bounty, taking jobs aboard offgoing ships for passage and jumping off at the end of the flight, sometimes putting his piloting skills learned from his home planet to use, even. Eventually he grabbed enough money for a guncutter, and he figured that he might as well try to make it big, trying to take on the bounty of the infamous void pirate known primarily as the Crimson Prince.

That job, however, turned out to be a complete fiasco that lasted for months, complete with various brushes with death and almost constant fighting, complete with a small-scale conflict breaking out between the Crimson Prince and a rival void pirate gang. Despite his best attempts to tail and otherwise deal with the Crimson Prince, however, his guncutter was shot down, and while he did luckily escape, he had to abandon the job. (Rumors now have it that the Crimson Prince died from an incident involving some sort of exploding frog. The credibility of this is dubious)

To his surprise, within a month he was approached by one Alexei Zhukov, who apparently caught wind of his exploits and offered him a job. Whether or not this would turn out to be lucky has yet to be seen.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

30 Oct 2011, 23:59

Okay, so for a final headcount, here is the Command Crew of the Angel of Vengeance:

Kyriotsu: Lord-Captain Alexei Zhukov - Rogue Trader
Gaelic Ninja: First Officer Leonidas Ferox - Arch-Militant
Obsidian Overlord: Master-At-Arms Garyn Saar - Arch-Militant
sparda219: Enginseer Prime Ourus Mestillan - Explorator
Mei Yu Lian: Warp Guide Lady Dominique Aestra Vor-cle - Navigatrix
Namagomi: Master Helmsman Alt Kiriel - Void-Master

To refresh, I'll be GMing, Svadisatma will be Co-GMing (by which I mean he'll be watching over my shoulder and I'll be bouncing ideas off of him). And...that's pretty much all. Right now we're just waiting for Mei to finish her Navigatrix's fluff, and then we can push forward onto the voyage! Over the next little bit I'll drop some fun fluff onto the thread for you guys to read and enjoy. Keep The Faith! :)

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

01 Nov 2011, 23:24

Some handy fluff!

Armsmen Brigade (Legion of Redemption): 5,000 – Commander Malakai Bane
Motto: “Let others pray for redemption, we shall earn it with our blood” Permissum alius voveo redemptio, nos vadum mereo is per nostrum cruor.

1st Regiment (Daemonwatch): 2,000 – Colonel Jacoby Irons
-1st Guard Battalion – 1500
-2nd Elite Battalion “Void Rats” – 500 – Lt. Colonel Tarquin Haig (to be acquired)

2nd Regiment (Deathwalkers): 3,000 – Colonel Dominik Jaeger
-1st Infantry Battalion – 1200 - 50 Centaur APCs
-2nd Reserve Battalion – 1000 -50 Centaur APCs

-3rd Armored Battalion – 260
*1st Mechanized Infantry Company – 70 - 10 Scout Bikes (10 troops) (to be acquired) -30 Sentinel Walkers (30 troops) (to be acquired) -10 Hellhounds (30 troops) (to be acquired)
*2nd Armor Company - 140 - 10 Leman Russ Battle Tanks (70 troops) (to be acquired) -10 Leman Russ Exterminators (70 troops) (to be acquired)
*3rd Heavy Armor Company - 50 - 5 Baneblades (50 troops) (to be acquired)

-4th Drop Battalion “Suicide Kings” – 300 – Lt. Colonel Aubray King (TBA) -30 Drop Pods (300 troops) (to be acquired)

-5th Airborne Battalion – 240
*1st Dropship Company – 140 -25 Guncutters (125 troops) (for Infantry use) -7 Arvus Landers (15 troops) (for Armored use)
*2nd Fighter Company - 100 -20 Fury Interceptors (80 troops) -10 Arvus Bombers (20 troops)

Standard Tactics (Ground):
-Tactical insertion by 4th Drop, secure landing zone.
-Insertion of 1st Infantry and elements of 3rd Armored by 5th Airborne, each Gun-cutter carrying 2 10-man squads /w both squad’s Centaur APCs, insertion of 6th Command, remainder of 3rd Armored and elements of 2nd Reserve as needed.

Standard Tactics (Space)
-1st Infantry fortifies civilian, cargo bays, and critical systems, 1st Guard to offensive positions to repel boarders, 3rd Armored fortifies armories and weapon holds, 2nd Reserve fortifies if 1st Infantry unavailable (i.e planetside), otherwise held in reserve.
-Engage enemy at long-range, should boarding actions occur 1st Guard to repel boarders while 2nd Elite engage in surgical strikes against opposing vessel, destroying mission-critical systems, 5th Airborne engages enemy boarding craft, extreme emergency begin evacuation.
-Evacuation procedures require all Legion personnel to gun-cutters, Command crew via command gun-cutter, etc.

Equipment (current)
1st Guard Battalion – normal 5 man squad
3 Troopers with Lasguns, Laspistols, 3 Frag Grenades (each), Guard Flak Armor
1 Trooper with Lasgun, Laspistol, 3 Frag Grenades, 1 Heavy Stubber, Guard Flak Armor, Vox-Caster
1 Trooper with Flamer, Laspistol, 3 Frag Grenades, Guard Flak Armor

2nd Elite Battalion – normal 5 man squad
3 Troopers with Hellguns, Hellpistols, Officer’s Cutlasses, 3 Frag Grenades (each), Enforcer Light Carapace
1 Trooper with Hellgun, Hellpistol, Officer’s Cutlass, 3 Frag Grenades, Man-Portable Lascannon, Enforcer Light Carapace, Vox-Caster
1 Trooper with Meltagun, Hellpistol, Officer’s Cutlass, 3 Frag Grenades, Enforcer Light Carapace

1st Infantry Battalion & 2nd Reserve Battalion – normal 10 man squad
6 Troopers with Lasgun, Laspistol, 3 Frag Grenades (each), Guard Flak Armor
2 Troopers with Lascarbine, Long-las OR Grenade Launcher, Laspistol, 3 Frag Grenades or 5 Krak & 5 Frag Grenades, Guard Flak Armor
2 Troopers with Lasgun, Laspistol, 3 Frag Grenades, 1 Man-Portable Lascannon OR Heavy Stubber (1 trooper loader, 2nd trooper gunner), depending on circumstance, Vox-Caster

1st Infantry Battalion & 2nd Reserve Battalion – 2-man Centaur team
-1 Trooper with Lascarbine, Laspistol, Guard Flak Armor (Driver)
-1 Trooper with Grenade Launcher, Laspistol, 5 Frag & 5 Krak Grenades, Guard Flak Armor (Gunner)

3rd Armored Battalion – Sentinel driver/Scout Bike driver
-1 Trooper with Autogun, Autopistol, Guard Flak Armor

3rd Armored Battalion – 3 man Hellhound crew
-3 Troopers with Autogun, Autopistol, Guard Flak Armor (driver & gunners)

5rd Airborne Battalion – 5-man Gun-cutter team
-2 Troopers /w Lascarbine, Laspistol, Guard Flak Armor (Pilot & Co-Pilot)
-2 Troopers /w Lascarbine, Long-Las, Laspistol, Guard Flak Armor (Gunners)
-1 Trooper /w Meltagun OR Flamer, Laspistol, Guard Flak Armor (Tech-Priest Enginseer)

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

01 Nov 2011, 23:41

And the thread is officially up. Gentlemen, raise your fists and cock your bolters! :vuvu:

Mei, we're ready and starting, all we need for you to come in is your char fluff. ;) Once that's up, you can come in anytime; sorry we didn't wait for you, but I didn't want the game to sit and languish. Keep The Faith!

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

02 Nov 2011, 05:33

no worries and sorry about the delay - RL was acting up :headdesk:

"I was raised in the Ixaniad sector on and near a hiveworld named 'Murran's Ambition' or more commonly 'Ambition'.
House Vor-cle has an enclave there, living among the nobility - the movers and shakers - and yet forever apart from them.

Despite it's name, ambition is a fairly safe world - oh the nobles scheme and plot like anywhere else and riots in the underhives haven't been news in millenia, but the Warp leaves it largely alone and the ruinous powers are weak there, which is why House Vor-cle has chosen to raise children there.

Once it was seen that my ... abnormalities ... appeared limited to my eyes, I was raised among the nobles and yet apart from them.
I learned to mimic them, speak as they did, to move as they, think as they did. And yet to remain apart and see what lay beyond.

As I grew older, the dfferences between me and the nobles I had seen became more pronounced, and my education was re-focused more towards our true calling. To understand the Empyrean is perhaps impossible, but to know it and be able to find our way in it is necessary.
Without the Navigator houses, the Imperium of Mankind would surely fall, and such betrayal of the God-Emperor is unthinkable.
And so I took to my lessons with great enthusiasm. Indeed I sought out officers of the navy and their scions simply to learn of their ways that I might be a welcome sight on their ships should this be future my family had in store for me.

It was not.
I was apprenticed for a few years to my great-grand-aunt. A formiddable woman but one who never left the navigator's dome - smply because the never left the tank she was floating in. There was simply no way she would've been able to support her own weight. And so all contact with the Lord-Captain Beilobog and his officeres went through me. They clearly appriciated not having to deal directly with my great-grand-aunt, which disturbed me.
Clearly the 2-eyed ones thought themselves superior simply because of their missing abilities. I had known the nobles thought of themselves that way, but had thought that was simply their way - for they thought themselves superior to everyone, but from navy officers? As always I hd my surprise though, and learned.

Near the end of this apprenticeship, my great-grand-aunt made sure we visited a certain planet. One that, while not forbidden, was generally termed dead and not worth settling. I don't think even the Lord-Captain knew where we were, for I was told to tell him the Warp had spat us out there, despite how I knew my great-grand-aunt had guided us there with an expert hand. I was sent down to visit it and unusually my great-grand-aunt would come too.
Her tank took up the entirety of a PMV designed for maybe 12 men - I myself had to walk beside.

There were just us on the surface, and of what I saw there, I will not speak. That would be blasphemy.
I will say only this: It was not the warp - indeed the Empyrean was curiously had to spy from there.
It was not the alien - foul as they might be this was not their doing.
Man against man was this, and that is all I will speak of it.

Upon my return to Ambition, and my recovery from my ordeals, I threw myself back into my studies, but only briefly, for I was told I had my first contract - one that might last me a lifetime, for it was with the Rogue Trader House of Zhukov.
And so I was hurried to Port Wander with all haste."

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

02 Nov 2011, 15:35

Solid stuff, Mei! I can work with a lot of that (though I'll need you to fire off a PM with the specifics of what she saw on that planet if you want it to be featured later; if not, then is cool). Would you rather we meet Lady Dominique actually on Port Wander, as part of the reason they're stopping there, or that she is on the ship to begin with?

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

02 Nov 2011, 17:12

kyriotsu wrote:
Solid stuff, Mei! I can work with a lot of that

pm sent :)

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

07 Nov 2011, 22:31

A Crew Breakdown for y'all! Including the ranking NPCs and PC officers, and representatives to the monthly Council Vengeance meetings; these are the bigwigs of the ship; the folks you'll be dealing with as the Command Crew. Note, as officers of your respective divisions, side-quests and duties will crop up here and there for you to deal with, involving the sizeable numbers of crewmen under your authority. Aside from that, you'll be expected to come up with the odd duty or job to keep your chars busy in between work; stuff you reckon your char would have to do in their unique position on-board ship. And yes, I did pinch the numbers (mostly) from Into The Maw, Or How I Became Incredibly Wealthy. Though I did do some tweaking.

NPC writeups will be coming along eventually, likely in time for the first Council meeting which will come too soon for comfort. ;) (I reccomend you invest in body armor before the meeting, I hear they can get a bit...err...rowdy.).

Crew Registry
Total shipboard population: 100,000

Crewmen: 22,327 Chief Bosun Roland Yorke
Vent-Marshalls: 601
Pipemen: 1,288
Recycling: 247
Sensorium Crew: 1,494
Engine Crew: 7,582
Generator Crew: 251
Dedicated Repair Crew: 3,789
Vessel Reclamation: 200
Conduit and Corridor Crew: 1,750

Gunnery: 42,730Master of Ordnance Gillian Holt
Port and Starboard Macrocannons (First shift): 11,441
Port and Starboard Macrocannons (Second shift): 11,441
Dorsal Lance Battery (First shift): 5,221
Dorsal Lance Battery (Second shift): 5,221
Prow Nova Cannon: 9,406

Armsmen (Legion of Redemption): 5,000Master-At-Arms Garyn Saar & Commandant Malakai Bane

Crew Support: 5,023 – “Baron” Lucius Finn
Cloth-makers, Tailors, Cobblers: 710
Custodial and Janitorial: 491
Chandlers, Lux-Officers, and Wax-collectors: 734
Butchers: 95
Cooks, Cooking Support Staff, Servers: 1,632
Armourers: 119
Armoury and Gun-Range Assistance: 56
Musicians, Banner-Bearers: 121
Miscellaneous: 1,095

Ecclesiarchy: 2,575Archbishop Cornelius Elmo
Lesser Clergy: 2,500
Full Priests: 71
Bishops: 3
Archbishops: 1

Arbites: 10,614Marshal of Arbites Richard Sawyer
Provosts: 6,465
Proctors: 4,118
Commissars: 30
Marshal: 1

Administratum: 2,594High Factotum Alaquin Cooke
Scribes: 1,502
Illuminators: 1,060
Copyists: 27
Archivists: 4
High Factotum: 1

Medicae and Hospitaliers: 318Chief Chiurgeon Agatha Victrix
Barber-Surgeons and Chiurgeons: 267
Full Medicae: 51

Cult Mechanicus: 8,223Enginseer Prime Ourus Mestillan (Sparda)
Servitors and Menials: 6,121
Lesser Tech-Priests: 2,010
Greater Tech-Priests: 92

Mechanicus Support: 2,768Omnissianic Congregator Dominique Cyndry
Machinists, Lathe-men, Stokers: 2004
Stevedores: 651
Locomotive Enginseers: 113

Aeronauticus: 1035Chief Helmsman Alt Kiriel (Namagomi)
Pilots: 255
Support Staff: 780

Bridge Staff: 537First Officer Leonidas Ferox (Gaelic Ninja)
Bridge Officers: 112
Bridge Support Staff: 425

Captain: 1Lord-Captain Alexei Zhukov (Kyri-Quinn)

Psykers: 6Warp Guide Lady Dominique Astra Vor-cle (Mei Yu Lian) & Choir-Master Telepathica Marcus Gervais
Navigators: 1
Astropaths: 4
Choir-Master Telepathica: 1

Miscellaneous Personnel, Crew, and Other Unassigned Person: 249Master of Whispers Niklaus Kristof
Last edited by kyriotsu on 16 Nov 2011, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

07 Nov 2011, 22:42

And now for a spot of color!

The Hangarites

With the Angel of Vengeance being essentially a flying city, besides a fortress and warship, and an old one at that, it falls to reason that some portions of the ship would fall into disrepair over the years. The fall of House Zhukov's prominence didn't help much, with many restoration projects planned by previous captains falling by the wayside. Hangars 12, 13, and 14 were three of those projects, old shuttle bays rusted and broken by time and warp travel. For years they had been abandoned, and once the restoration projects fell through, they were promptly abandoned again.

But not for long.

There had always been an "underworld" on the Vengeance, small-time crew bosses and ex-criminals forming small deck gangs, protection rackets, and the like. Most captains in the past either ignored or apathetically poked the Arbites at them, a favorite method being collecting "taxes" from the gangs for a brief period of time, then wiping them out after a year or so. After the restoration projects fell through, a whole corps of workers found themselves out of work, falling through the cracks of the Vengeance and either finding legit work as crewmen, or...other options.

One worker in particular decided to take another option, a cunning and charismatic foreman named Lucius Finn. Finn decided there was a possibility for a smart man to rise high, and, with the aid of his former workers, created what he referred to as a "free market" out of Hangar 12. He literally became an entrepreneur, buying and selling things at most ports, seeing some thrones flowing into the right hands, and setting himself as a sort of merchant baron. Eventually, the market gained prominence, and, luckily for Finn, since his rise coincided with Alexei's, the new captain saw a use for a crewman's market on board, and permitted him to run it so long as a portion of the thrones earned by the market found their way to the ship's treasury. For the most part, the markets functioned as a crew-based collective, but as the Angel travelled further and further afield, more and more independent traders began setting up shop in the hangars. Finn himself spread his influence wider across the ship, eventually finding a place as elected representative on the Council Vengeance, speaking for the various support organizations working throughout the vessel.

Hangars 12, 13, and 14 are now essentially run by what on-boarders call the “Hangarites”, a loose collection of traders, merchants, crime bosses, and other various insundri hangers-on who find themselves with no place to go on the Vengeance. Each hangar houses a myriad of different stalls and businesses, with some hangars even holding converted wrecked shuttles, turned into bars, bordellos, or worse. It’s a festering pit, but a great deal of money flows from it into the Angel’s coffers, and it’s a great place for crewmembers to trade and spend their wages, so Alexei tolerates it.

kyriotsu
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author

07 Nov 2011, 23:22

Being a Treatise On The Chain of Command aboard The Angel of Vengeance.

Okay, so Obsidian raised some good points on what you jokers do aboard the AoV, specifically where you're sitting in the chain of command. Being a schmott guy, I'm going to clear this up right-quick for you, so you haven't got any trouble settling into your roles. ;)

First Officer - Okay, Leonidas's role is fairly straightforward. He's in charge of the bridge officers and staff; they do their duties, report to the two Chief Bridge Officers (two shifts, day/night, according to the on-board clock) who handle day to night activities, and the two CBOs pass their daily reports to him to deal with as he pleases. His job is to hear grievances that go past the CBOs, liaise with other sections of the ship who have dealings with the bridge crew (a very elitist bunch, given their positions), attend the monthly meeting of the Council Vengeance and bring up the feelings of the bridge crew when issues and important shipboard matters are being discussed, and ensure the bridge and nerve centre of the ship runs like clockwork. Again, fairly simple, fairly straightforward.

Master-At-Arms - Okay, this one's a bit more complicated. Garyn Saar essentially occupies the position of Colonel-Commissar for the onboard regiments; it's his job to maintain military discipline, assist in the running of the Legion itself alongside Commander Malakai Bane (who is essentially a Lord-General on-board), and any security job involving Legion personnel (case in point, Alexei's meeting with the new Navigator, when he requests Legion guards instead of on-board Arbites). In the event of the Angel being boarded, Saar's job is to take command of the Legion to repel the aforementioned boarders, with the Commander acting in an advisory capacity. On the flipside, during a groundside campaign, Commander Bane is, to all intents and purposes, in charge of the Legion, with Saar acting as advisor and brigade commissar. Liasing with the Arbites Angelus (on-board police force) happens frequently to infrequently, depending on how often the Legion is required to support any defensive actions; if any Legion personnel are found in infractions of on-board law, however, the Arbites take them into custody, and hand them over to Legion authority for disciplinary action. In theory. And, as with Ferox, Saar is the duly chosen representative to the Council Vengeance to handle all matters pertaining to the Legion and it's subsidiaries.

Enginseer Prime - Again, a fairly straightforward role. Ourus is, for all intents and purposes, chief in charge of the on-board Cult Mechanicus. He does what a good tech-priest is supposed to do, keeps the ship running, praises the Omnissiah, and generally keeps things working. Note, that while the Mechanicus Support is a separate entity on the crew register, they are still essentially subservient to the main Mechanicus organization itself; basically Ourus outranks Cymbry in technical terms. Practically speaking, however, she does wield considerable personal power in her role (hence her posting as a Council member), so keeping her and her people appeased would likely keep the wheels moving smoothly. As before, Ourus is a duly elected representative to the Council alongside Cymbry, bringing the grievances and wishes of the Cult Mechanicus to the attention of the Powers What Is, yadda yadda yadda.

Chief Helmsman - The title of this officer's post is a bit deceptive, actually. And a bit more ceremonial than reality would have it. For the longest time, the role of Chief Helmsman has also carried with it the ceremonial leadership of the on-board Aeronautics division, namely the few fighter pilots, bombers, shuttle operators, and other assorted pilot-y type individuals who fly for the House and for the Angel. Kiriel works on the Bridge, yes, but he's technically speaking an independent operator; the only person who can give him orders outside of the Lord-Captain is First Officer Ferox, and even then Alt can tell him "He'll take it under advisement.". Still, in his role his duties are fairly simple. Keep the pilots happy, keep their kit and kaboodle together, maintain discipline amongst the pilots, keep the Angel of Vengeance going where it's supposed to after recieving word from the Navigator, and attend Council Vengeance meetings as representative of the Aeronautics division. Fairly simple fare.

You'll note, none of these have so far covered what I've been referring to the party as, Lord-Captain Zhukov's "Command Crew". (Capitals are intentional.). To be blunt, the Command Crew, handpicked by Zhukov, are combination advisors and meat shields; they're the specialists he's picked out, not only for how well they carry out their duties, but their unique skills at dealing with certain situations and how well they can protect him during the adventures and dangers they'll no doubt face out in the Expanse. They have their regular duties, yes, but on top of that they are also expected to keep the Lord-Captain appraised of certain things, and they have just an itty-bit more authority due to their unique positioning in the crew. Still, best they wield that extra authority carefully; politics is a risky buisness. Aside from them, there is also the regular "command crew", consisting of the main officers on the Council of Vengeance; but they're mostly called up to the Lord-Captain on a case-by-case individual basis, or en masse for the monthly meeting.

And of course, there's the great game of politics played throughout the entire ship between factions trying to eke out a lil' bit more power over their groups; perhaps the Cult Mechanicus wants more control over the care and maintenance of the Aeronautics division's ships, perhaps the Arbites are getting tired of dealing with rowdy Legionnaires and want the ability to discipline them themselves without handing them over to military tribunals, maybe the Chief Bosun's been sleeping with the Omnissiac Congregator and the Master of Whispers has been hearing about it, and plans to use it to leverage the Bosun into voting for something...still, it all must eventually add up to the ship running smoothly, otherwise the Lord-Captain might hear about things going awry. And nobody wants the Lord-Captain to find out things are going awry; for he wields the ultimate authority on-board. Up to and including death sentences.

Yeah. You guys got your work cut out for you. ^_^

Kaimera
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Wyld Coyotes Bastard Daughter
Fighting Style: Blessed Sacrilegious Gonzo Method
Artifact: Cushioned Gossamer Tetsubo

29 Dec 2011, 22:46

http://www.malleus.dk/Ordo/NpcGenerator/Default.aspx

Woo? heh. Dark Heresy character generator. its a little weird, but easy to get used to. pick a random class on the bar, click it, then click the characters name and the different tabs to modify where you need.
Sure it is.. It makes me want to literally pick you up and throw you in a Vat of Acid!
Then fill it with Acid resistant Piranhas!
But The piranhas have salt shakers for eyes So as they eat you alive they are shaking salt into your wounds!
Also the piranhas are on fire.

Kaimera
Essence 4
Essence 4

29 Feb 2012, 19:01

So have things here completely just.. Crashed..? Cause im actually got time to get role playing again...
Sure it is.. It makes me want to literally pick you up and throw you in a Vat of Acid!
But The piranhas have salt shakers for eyes So as they eat you alive they are shaking salt into your wounds!

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

01 Mar 2012, 00:52

Kaimera wrote:
So have things here completely just.. Crashed..? Cause im actually got time to get role playing again...

looks like it sad to say

Kaimera
Essence 4
Essence 4

05 Mar 2012, 21:03

... piss...

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

06 Mar 2012, 13:33

Kaimera wrote:
... piss...

seconded