Essence 4
Topic Author
Title: Princess
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Calling for help.
Artifact: NICOLE

Ideas wanted: Running a game in Great Forks

16 Sep 2013, 20:20

Long time no see, TFS. Some new faces, some old. Not as many old faces as I'd like but I suppose that's life.

Anyways, running a vanilla Solar game in Great Forks for a fairly new group. I've played a fair bit of Exalted, as has one of the players but the rest are pretty new to roleplaying in general.

They saw the Penny Arcade videos of D&D 4.0 and like the feel of a beer and pretzels game, not so heavy on the sirius-bizzniss or social commentary, they want to do cool shit to wicked dudes in awesome places.

Thought I'd see if I can leverage any ideas from the TFS crew.

So, far it's looking like this:

Circle of newly exalted Solars were called to an inn 'The Saucy Wink', group in-joke) in their dreams (possibly by the God Dreamweaver...possibly not...), there the party meets up, gets their awesome on and starts doing their thing. Themes of the game will include:

Conflict between three drug-cartels in the city.
Dealing with the issue of slavery
Being awesome (in general)
Turning Great Forks into a haven for anathema
Coping with external threats despite having little to no military force (I'm thinking a little bit 'Daughter of the Empire' and a little bit Avengers: "I have an army...well, we have a circle of Solars")
Dealing with the various powers in the region: Lookshy, Thorns, Nexus, as well as the inevitable Realm intervention once multiple Solars are confirmed in one place at the same time (Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure).

My current big draw cards are:

Dreams: There will be a pair of Sidereals in the town, who will each be wearing the Destinies of several notable NPCs the party will meet. One Bronze faction, the other Gold. In typical Siddy fashion, they will be doing most of their work indirectly, trying to avoid tipping themselves off to the party.

The Gold faction Siddy will be trained in Quicksilver Dream style kungfu and will be doing some of their work via dreams. She'll either be a Chosen of Serenity or Journeys who is trying to weaponise the imagination of children. Basically, she sculpts their dreams to become half-bait and half-gateway for the Fairfolk to pour forth. The Fay, looking to consume the sweetest, most innocent imaginations/virtues, will be unable to resist these planted dream-beacons, resulting in these kids becoming walking Wyld-bombs, from which horrible imagination-monsters explode and start wrecking shit. Her idea is to use the circle to attract as much of the Wyld hunt as possible and then let off a few of these kids, trying to ruin the Realm's anti-anathema policies in the Threshold.

This will result in the party having to fight Wyld-monsters several times. My draw here is that, in typical Fay fashion, you kill them with imagination and 'story narrative', so instead of conventional hitpoints, these monsters will have 'stunt-dice hitpoints', so the party can only pull one down by doing enough 'cool shit' to drain their Stunt-dice hitpoints.

Also looking to have the ultimate confrontation be Great Forks surrounded by the largest muster of the Imperial Legions/Wyld Hunt in years. With a realm fleet sailing up the river, a squadron of flying-battleships on a flank, as well as an uncountable army on another flank. The idea being that the party/Great Forks will stand against impossible odds with the only mitigating factors being: The wyld-bombs (will they sanction deployment of child-weapons?), the results of their political wheelings and dealings with Lookshy and Thorns (maybe, earlier in the game, they have to choose which faction to court as allies), as well as their own outright awesomeness (I can see things like one solar hopping from airship to airship, trying to catch the Admiral's craft, which is sitting at the top of the formation, as well as a squadron of Realm Warstriders facing off against one that the party might acquire at some point, possibly with a 'Hail Mary' move, with the War Strider throwing the Dawn caste into the enemy army).

So, aside from these set-pieces, can anyone think of outright 'cool shit' I can put into this game to show the group that Exalted is all about being awesome? Anything you wanted to introduce into a game but never got the chance to...
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I am dead is lucky!

Master Chris
Essence 4
Essence 4
Topic Author
Title: Princess
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Calling for help.
Artifact: NICOLE

Re: Ideas wanted: Running a game in Great Forks

23 Sep 2013, 20:28

A little quiet around here, huh?

Well session one went well.

Players started out with an Usurpation dream, in which we played out a tutorial combat, with the First Age versio of their characters facing down a phalanx of Dragonbloods and a Sidereal before a city got dropped ontop of them. Characters then faded in from this dream while being told off for having started a bar brawl by 'Turmoil Averted', a Spirit-Bull-Police Officer. Jade Ox (an NPC developed by one of the players as their primary antagonist) is a slave-murderer on the loose. So that's a plothook I'll followup.

The ursurpation dream had a few hooks in it: There were two sidereals, the Citrine Contagion martial artist who opposed them (Endings caste, currently a Bronze factioner) and a Serenity Quicksilver Dreams student, will be Gold faction in this age. The Zenith's wifu, a Twilight-caste NPC, was horribly murdered on the scene as a lure to the party. She'll come back as an ambassador for the deathlord, Walker. Her first-age incarnation built the Noble Warstrider that sat dormant during the tutorial as a gift for the Zenith. The party can squabble with her over who owns it later in the game.

Any other suggestions?
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I am dead is lucky!

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

Re: Ideas wanted: Running a game in Great Forks

04 Jun 2014, 03:02

Sounds like you have a good plan

I recently wrapped up a long side-quest for my mostly-solar circle in great forks

THe basic gist of it was that Mother Raiton, the canonical mob boss of Great Forks, was blackmailing the Three into not disrubting her operations by having a mole in the Great Fork's government slavery operation - who could somehow add a berserker poison to the slave's diet at a moment's notice... which would be bad

cue the players being discreetely contacted by the three when they're in town one day - and the players having to figure out what is going, convince frightened alchemists and spice importers to reveal how MR is exploiting them, help local gods who's godblooded children have been kidnaped to ensure their cooperation, and then some

oh and MR of course have reasonably loyal godblooded goons and elementals on her payroll as well - perhaps even a DB or two - and she has eyes and ears everywhere...

and dont forget that Fountain of Virtue, the chief of police (and minister of worship IIRC) is a lazy old bastard who's main method of solving disputes between gods is to ignore it and let them sort things out themselves... which rarely goes down quietly
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"