Third Edition

Moderator: Forum Gods

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: North Star Streaming Fist

This Town Sucks (Slime Quest Game and Worldbuilding)

31 Jan 2009, 02:07

Veiled Devourer Of Faces linked me to a copy of the Slime Quest Playtest Version, which has prompted my desire to run things. For those of you who don't feel like reading the linked PDF, Slime Quest is essentially a deconstruction of the MMORPG and modern setting JRPG. It's about a world not entirely different from ours, where about a decade ago, monsters began spawning from some other plane of existence out of portals on a regular basis. As a sort of extreme sport and a way of coming up with cash, some teenagers hunt monsters. The game was done by the same guy who did Thrash, Hikikomori, and the US translation of Maid, so you know it's quality. TFS needs more indie RPG appreciate.

This thread will be a staging ground, to organize both the players and myself, as well as write ourselves a neat little setting. I'll be updating with both custom equipment and weapons, descriptions of NPCs, stat blocks of PCs, and so forth. Please note that as this is a playtest version, we will be updating to alpha, beta, and final release builds. I went through all the revisions of Thrash written by the author, too. I'm used to this.

For those of you interested, I will be running this game on Saturdays. It will not run every Saturday. Plot will be minimal, as most of it is done through the s-link styled Interludes, which are really just the players dicking around. I will be running with whoever shows up, and scaling encounters to that. If you are interested, feel free to poke into this thread, and I'll let you know when (or if) the next game is planned.

Please note that, while I plan on running the first several sessions, I do not intend to run forever. Eventually, when the setting gets more fleshed out, I will be glad to hand the reins over to other people to try a session or two. If this interests you (it shouldn't yet, give me some time to write stuff up), feel free to contact me. Likewise, if you have an idea for equipment, or write something up, post it. If I like it, I'll toss it in the appropriate list.
You know soft spoken changes nothing.

Muda da. Shikaiyaku Shinken wa muteki da.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

Re: This Town Sucks (Slime Quest Game and Worldbuilding)

31 Jan 2009, 02:08

Reserved: Players descriptions, NPC descriptions, and the town and "dungeons".

Restless Monsters
It's common knowledge that the nastier creatures tend to be fairly sedentary. However, something recently has set some of these more docile monsters to violent activity. Currently, experts have theorized to be an upswing of portal activity. Regardless, these wandering beasts tend to show a higher level of cunning than the typical monster, and will slowly and methodically stalk hunting parties. Hunters are advised to be on guard for these wandering foes.

In dungeons, there wil be a 1d20 roll made at every intermission, enemy defeated, or other event of note. If this roll is a 2 or higher, the wandering boss does not arrive, and a cumulative -1 is applied to further rolls. This happens until the roll comes up as 1 or less, at which time the monster attacks - and the roll restarts sans modifiers.
Last edited by bassist159 on 01 Feb 2009, 03:55, edited 2 times in total.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

31 Jan 2009, 02:09

The Monster Mart Shopping List
The Monster Mart in town sells a variety of equipment. It's owner, the enthusiastic Steven, does all the stock orders. He also not only is more than happy to do custom orders for his customers, but will even make gear himself when the inspiration strikes him. Below is a sample listing of the gear sold there, but it is by no means exhaustive.

Small Class Weapons
Field Knife 99
Cost: 1R
Effect: +1 to Prowess rolls.
A combat-styled knife, produced by Glock. The Field Knife 03 is was a modernization of the Glock brand Field Knife 78, produced with the rise of the portals. The 03 was originally designed as a bid for the new US military combat knife contract. Although it did not see use as it was intended, the 03 has become popular for it's light weight and economical cost. The 03 is a phosphate-treated, drop-forged blade, with a polymer sheathe and handle. It is available in olive, tan, and black finishes.

Nike Screamer
Cost: 3R
Effect: +1 to Prowess rolls, counts as a flashlight.
Most locations that monsters spawn in tend to be low-light areas, requiring usage of flashlights, portable lamps, and even torches. Not one to let this new sports field get away from them, the developers at Nike introduced this newest tool to the field. The Nike Screamer is a pair of impact-resistant polymer sticks, the same length typically used in Eskrima. Not only durable, these weapons have a 360 weave of LED lights through their length. The bulbs brightness and color settings can be changed between twenty-four solid colours, two speeds of shifting, and a random “pulse”.

Standard Class Weapons
Dwarf Axe (8R)
Cost: 8R
Effect: +3 Hits
While Dwarves don't technically exist, this weapon was designed by a retired hunter and well-known dragon slayer, based off of what fictional Dwarves have been known to carry. The weapon is a heavy, single-handed axe, with a large, triangular blade. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is made of 440 carbon steel, and it menaces with spikes of steel. The handle is encircle with rings of bronze. On the item are images of hunters fighting dragons.

Herr Doktor
Cost: 5R
Effect: +3 Hits, -1 Prowess
With the rise of an industry based on the hunting of monsters, many weapons that were less than practical were none-the-less requested for sheer destructive power or coolness. The Echo Modified Medical Saw, affectionately known as "Herr Doktor", is one of these. Herr Doktor is a modified sternal saw. The weapon effortlessly chews through meat and bone (and slime and carapace...), but given it's lack of mountings and constant vibration make it difficult to use. Every ten battles, the power pack must be replaced on Herr Doktor. Additional battery packs cost 2R, but can be charged.

New Model 4
Cost: 3R
Effect: +2 Hits
Manufactured by Cold Steel, the New Model 4 has become nearly synonymous with the monster hunting profession. The weapon is not particularly impressive to look at, but it is reliable. Constructed from 440 steel and drop forged, the blade is 30 inches and double-sided. The grip is rubberised, and the hand guard is a minimal, modern affair. The blade comes in a variety of finishes; blued, stainless, or parkerized matte-black. There are common variants, such as the 4S (a single-edged variant), and 4C (a curved blade, close to a Katana or Calvary Sabre). Even outside of the hunters, there is an artistic movement in customizing the New Model 4, and they have even made a few appearances on fashion run ways. If a hunter is represented in popular culture, it's usually with one of these as their prop.

Large Class Weapons
Replica Blade
Cost: 6R
Effect: +2 Hits, -2 Athletics -1 Defense
This hulking greatsword is a replica of one of the original dragonslayers, when the hunting trade first began. The blade is a whopping sixty-six inches long, and a good eight inches across, narrowing up to a a katana-styled tip. It has a wrapped handle made of rough cloth meant to simulate leather, and a stage jewelry inset in the handle. The original was a custom piece of work done by actual masters; despite it's massive size, it was razor sharp and relatively light. On the other hand, these replicas are junk steel, and built to look impressive, not for their combat abilities. This mass-production weapon only typically sees field use by newbies. Among more experienced hunters, it is typically given either as a joke gift, or as an insult.

Items
Pure Tea
Cost: 1R for a 12 Pack
Effect: -1 Upset per Bottle
A less popular, though still useful item sold at the Monster Marts. A beverage made from Ceylon tea leaves and the cores of Evil Eyes, the Pure Tea is a blue-green liquid that smells putrid but tastes surprisingly like wheat grass and sugar. As unpleasant as it looks and smells, Pure Tea justifies it's prohibitively expensive cost by helping to soothe and relax. A bottle of this stuff removes 1 rank of Upset. Like it's soft drink counterpart, it takes either one interlude or two combat rounds to drink. It's more mature appeal, combined with it's soothing effects, has made the drink popular even to some non-hunters. Even retired hunters tend to keep it around for very bad days. After all, they got used to drinking it already. The FDA has not found any long-lasting side-effects from Pure Tea.

mike1
Essence 1
Essence 1

12 Jan 2010, 22:44

Combat knife is belong to small class weapon? Why you say so?

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

12 Jan 2010, 22:52

...Cute, spambot, very cute.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Atriole the Political Pylon
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Eclipse
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Thrown

13 Jan 2010, 00:36

High school Drama = Overdone, and frankly not that good in the first place.
MMORPG = Repetitive.

Seriously, how is this going to end well?

Granted, that momentous task is placed upon whichever Game Master is brave enough to play test it. I suspect that so much more fluff would have to be added, and probably a villainous villain of epic proportions who actually poses a threat to the world at large.

And then you've just got Tales of Vesperia.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

13 Jan 2010, 00:43

Isn't that, I don't know, kind of the point? Deconstruction implies a pisstake or some other take on the genre that means you wouldn't be playing it straight. High school drama's overdone, but it still has widespread appeal for various reasons. See also the previous two Persona games.

And then you've just got Tales of Vesperia.

Hey, Vesperia was awesome. >:P
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

Essence 4
Essence 4

13 Jan 2010, 09:19

I'm not debating that one. I played Vesperia and it was a lot of fun.

And I know about the Persona games, too. They sound like great games, but for me, the whole high school concept isn't what makes them look good. It's more the whole simulation of real life running on while you also have dungeons to think about. That could be happening to a University Student, a full grown adult, or even a senior citizen, and could make for a slightly less overdone concept.

It's just that High school has been Romanticized so much, when it's not all that and a bag of chips.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

13 Jan 2010, 10:52

Which is cool and all, but don't you think it's a touch impolite to respond to three posts' worth of worldbuilding to say "Your concept is overdone and boring" rather than just not saying anything if it didn't interest you? ;)
Text in red is modvoice.

Essence 4
Essence 4

13 Jan 2010, 11:45

Oh please, I intended no rudeness. I wasn't commenting on the Worldbuilder's work so much as on the whole setting of Slime Quest. I just didn't think it was a very feasable game idea, and I wanted to express that.

Logos Invictus
Essence 3
Essence 3
Title: Excellent Pirate King
Fighting Style: Melee
Artifact: Seven Petal Saber

13 Jan 2010, 11:58

Atriole the Political Pylon wrote:
Oh please, I intended no rudeness. I wasn't commenting on the Worldbuilder's work so much as on the whole setting of Slime Quest. I just didn't think it was a very feasable game idea, and I wanted to express that.

Regardless, this thread doesn't seem to have been created as a forum for a general discussion of the relative merits of Slime Story. If you'd like to discuss that, start your own thread. In the meantime, it's probably best to resist the urge to comment on something you have nothing constructive to say about.
If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a tinkling symbol. And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.

"Most people think time is like a river, flowing swift and sure in one direction. But I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this. Sit down, and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard..."

This is my serious Mod voice.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

13 Jan 2010, 21:02

Holy shit this is some serious thread necromancy. Oh well, if someone felt like responding, then I might as well toss some stuff on here.

I'd been considering taking another swing at this with the second playtest fixing a lot of the issues (namely, there's now something more to do than just smack monsters and talk), but I'm still not particularly happy with it. It gives more room for character advancement, but still feels kind of weak in terms of what that advancement represents. There's also the fact that Ewen Cluney keeps promising more changes and with the drastic differences between first and second playtest, I kind of want to hold off to make sure things aren't unrecognizably different.

I could get into a giant weeaboo argument of "well it's meant to emulate Japanese culture like everything else he writes, which seems to put more focus on high school years as formulative adult years and thus romanticize it more than we do and hurf durf blurf", but I agree - it is completely of overdone. Those on IRC have seen my further setting notes, I think I began to further and further marginalize the actual high school aspect of it the more and more worldbuilding we did. The setting I'd written used a single school that was K-12 with an undergraduate-college equivalent, to allow a greater range of characters and remove some of the "if you're finished with puberty you can no longer save the world" aspects of the setting.

For what it's worth, I didn't get the feeling you were ripping on what I came up with as much as the initial PDF stuff, but... hey, that's Ewen, the guy never met an anime he didn't like, but he comes up some amusing RPG ideas sometimes. And as someone who plays a lot of JRPGs, the idea of deconstructing some of that "go to school, hang out with friends, save the world" formula into something else appealed to me.

What I came up with was a setting where things have gone weird with monsters popping up, and that teenagers and twenty-somethings who go off hunting them when that's really the job of people with training and guns are seen as they probably would be: kind of crazy weirdos who decided that extreme sports weren't extreme enough or just have anger issues. Sure, they had their own shops catering to them, but that's because some marketers will deal with anyone if they can make cash off of it. Also, they were living in a floating dome city with near-future technology because the world had been completely overrun by said monsters and their ability to spawn out of portals from nowhere, so, yeah. I recognize what I was going to run and what you were critiquing really had nothing in common, and in a lot of cases I agree.

So yeah. Less Persona, more old-school SMT, or I guess Wild ARMs 4 without the smack-you-in-the-face obvious "power of friendship and also everyone over twenty-five is Satan" message.