Essence 1
Topic Author
Title: Chosen of Battles
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Slitting Bitches Up Methodology
Artifact: Reaper Daiklave

Newbie ST Seeks Help

05 Jul 2009, 00:35

Hey there all. New guy here. It has recently become apparent to me that nobody else in my group is ever going to DM/GM/ST anything at all. So far I've run D&D 3.5 and Shadowrun, but having recently picked up the 2e core book I'd like to run a brief Exalted game.

So I've got a few questions:
-What kind of Exalts are most newbie-friendly?
-Are there any good tutorial-type story arcs floating around for the above Exalt variety?
-How in Sol's name do I keep a bunch of crazy teenagers who've been handed the power of the gods in something resembling a line?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.
-good advice for Shadowrunners and Exalts

:eclipse:

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

Re: Newbie ST Seeks Help

05 Jul 2009, 00:45

I'd honestly say that Solars or Dragon-Blooded are going to be your best bet for people completely new to the game. Their Charms and effects therein are the easiest to pick up. Lunars and Sidereals take a little getting used to and I strongly advise against playing villain splats unless you know your players are cool with that sort of thing (also, do yourself a favor and don't run mixed-type games if you're still new to the system).

Tutorials... well, the demo session (Return to the Tomb of Five Corners) is readily available at the White Wolf site. It gives a decent overview both of the setting and of the way the Solars' powers and such operate - and you don't have to use the pre-generated characters if you don't want to; you can plug in the characters your players made.

Have some basic rules in place. If there's something you really don't want in the game, you need to say so. If they want to pick up an artifact or a hearthstone or a custom something-or-other that would make the game less fun for everyone else, don't be afraid to say "I'd rather not, but maybe we can discuss you picking it up in a later session". Some boundaries are a good thing. Be firm on the things you feel are absolute no-nos, but at the same time, don't try to force your players onto a plot. Sometimes it's more fun to just have the barest outline of a story, a couple of NPCs, and if the players go an unexpected direction? Roll with it.

That's about all the advice I have. ^^;
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

06 Jul 2009, 01:32

Some of the essays here are useful: http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/inde ... ory:Essays

Beyond that, I have to second Kailan. In any RPG, the players are going to go in some direction you didn't anticipate. In Exalted, the starting characters have enough power to blow their way out of any plotline. If you don't know how to improvise already, my advice to you is to learn.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

06 Jul 2009, 02:20

I suggest starting out with DB's or Solars, just like Kailan mentioned. They are the most straightforward in what they can do and easiest to adapt to. If you feel intimidated by the power of Solars, just make it about the Dragon Bloods.

Both books have Storytelling chapters mentioning "Exalted Styles". These can be a good starting point, though i have to say i've never ran a game in a style listed there :lol: . I don't know what books you may have but even the corebook is enough to get some ideas (the 1st ed one did wonders for me, though how South looks now after 8 years is very different from what's eventually been detailed). Look for a place that inspires you, or heck, even a geographical feature that inspires you. Start from there and then either rush them into a plot (you might even start in medias res, to simplify issues like how, why and when they met up, starting in the middle of a chase, and later building up the details) or give them a hub city/town/lost manse filled with strange creatures to communicate with, generate plots and generally get them into trouble :)

Don't fear going off the presented setting or printed material. Do whatever makes you happy and especially what you feel will be cool. After all, the key to Exalted is that the players are caught up in over the top situations reacting in even more over the top way. Mind you, you don't have to start with Deathlords and Third Circle demons - chases on the rooftops against the wyld hunt (or as the wyld hunt), battles for lost artifacts, exploring strange locales and meet wacky, bizarre, unique and possibly even dangerous creatures and entities.

What really makes Exalted great is how it allows you to use any idea and roll with it. So think about what sort of a plot/creature/format you'd like to portray. Make sure you have fun and give room to your players to have fun. If you do that, a good game is guaranteed.
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

NateDojo
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Quiet Pool
Fighting Style: Optimistic Primate Technique
Artifact: The Omniwheel of Speedy Travels

06 Jul 2009, 21:43

I can't tell you how many times our Storyteller has made something fantastic up on the spot, only to tell us later that it was off the cuff. Your players probably won't call your bluff, so be confident and just go with what feels "right."

Howitzer
Essence 1
Essence 1
Topic Author
Title: Chosen of Battles
Fighting Style: Slitting Bitches Up Methodology
Artifact: Reaper Daiklave

07 Jul 2009, 10:43

Thanks for the advice, guys. :worship: I'm probably going to go with DBs for the first campaign. Wish me luck!
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.
-good advice for Shadowrunners and Exalts

:eclipse:

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6

07 Jul 2009, 12:00

May i suggest tossing them away from the Blessed Isle, where you'll have less of an "We're GODS among men Ph33r Us!" effect. It allows you to focus more on the adventure and less on the status and intrigue so inherent among the DB's.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

07 Jul 2009, 12:09

Well, unless they want the intrigue aspect. :lol: Some people dig it.

I'm partial to outcastes myself. Lookshy FTFW.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6

07 Jul 2009, 12:11

Lookshy FTW. You could run a game about the Feudal Japanese/Spartan mercenary magitech Dragonblooded commandoes :). And what's really awesome is that you can use them all over the world :)