Essence 3
Topic Author
Title: Geekling
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: RPG-Fu
Artifact: PS2 Controller of Smiting

Illustrated Exalted (Discussion)

23 Aug 2009, 21:16

So yes; illustrated, play-by-picture Exalted game. I want to make one, if there's some people interested in joining in. This thread is both to see if there's any interest, as well as hashing out details for RP Fluff and RP Structure.

RP Fluff
For overall plot, I would love to run something influenced by Suikoden, where the characters are exiled from their homeland (The Blessed Isle is a strong contender for that, but I'm open to other suggestions) and have to travel around Creation making alliances, facing betrayal, building an army, getting a shiny castle as headquarters (all against overwhelming odds, naturally!) and eventually marching back to their homeland to liberate it from the corrupting influence of a True Rune-

...Er, Cosmic Horror of a Big Bad that has taken up residence there. Insert your Exalted world equivalents of the Howling Voice Guild, the Harmonian Frontier Defense Force, the Dawn and Twilight Runes, etc, etc, at your own leisure and preference.

I'm open to setting suggestions as well, whether it's where to start, or where to go. My own preferences are The Blessed Isle, the East (Scavenger Lands specifically. Much like everyone else. XP) the An-Teng region, and the North.

As far as character splats go, Solars and Lunars are fine. To a degree, so are Sidereals, Abyssals, and I would even consider Dragon Blooded; but with the condition that these characters are designed to play well with others. (ie, they won't have the rest of the Circle reaching for their daiklaves 90% of the time.)

---

RP Structure
This is the overall structure I want to use. (Mostly copy pasted from the RP Concepts thread, with a few edits here and there.)

So rather then play-by-post, this is a play by picture RP. The goal here is to have fun with role-playing, while also practicing art skillz.

Players get the choice of three different types of canvases (The splash page; one big, standard comic sized page if LOTS OF STUFF is going to happen in their tag. The simple square, which is exactly what it sounds like, and the panel, which is one long, rectangular panel.) to draw their RP tags on, and the game takes off from there. Illustrated fic posts are also allowed, and character bios are a front and back view (so other people know how to draw the feature character) with a quick space for a written character bio on the side of the canvas.

In order to keep things from going nuts with image hosting, having people save one backup file offline would be ideal. So would creating a separate, specific photobucket (or similar) folder solely for RP related art. As far as RP hosting goes, my first thought would be LJ, as that can be used for multiple RP threads, tagging, etc.

As far as media used, just about ANYTHING goes, as long as it fits with the game/artist's set style. Full color pictures, grayscale, black and white, mix and match, etc. It's all good. Same with what it's drawn on. Photoshop or similar would probably be the standard, but if that sketchbook drawing or experiment with watercolors turned out awesome and involves the characters and current RP story, that's fine too!

Masterpieces are not required when it comes to posting; just as long as it isn't stick figures and scribbles. And as far as posting requirements go, managing two or three tags a week would be wonderful, but just one tag per week is a more realistic minimum. (Another idea would be that if people get together for a massive picture tagging party, then we could use a time limit to finish a picture tag for that game session.) As long as the tag follows basic RP rules (don't godmod without permission, try to play nice, etc, etc) and has a bit of art effort behind it, then it is good to go!

Chances are, we would also be using a simplified rule system to cut down on crunch time or mechanics grinding, and focus on drawing the tags or talking about plot. Wuxalted sounds like a promising adaptation, or the PDQ Exalted Port. (Thank you for providing a link to that, Flence!)

Actual 'get together and create a swarm of artwork to overload photobucket with' would probably only occur on the weekends, or one day out of the week. Possibly even every other week. Otherwise, people would just be expected to tag in whenever they can, or have the time. (Thus the 'one new tag a week' request.) Given how decentralized the ST role would be, that hopefully would make the game pretty fluid and easy to pick up whenever.

Which leads to the last, and probably biggest point; this would be a game with no central ST. Instead, we'd all be pitching in ideas on where to go next, what to do with the plot, and the like; RP by committee, essentially. That's the sort of game I've been playing in for the last few years, and it actually works really well and can be very fun.

---

Summary

To sum it all up quickly, I want to make a game full of shiny artwork, rolled up in a Suikoden-flavored Exalted package, and with A LOT of wiggle room as far as plot goes for the players to pitch in on.

So, thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

Re: Illustrated Exalted (Discussion)

23 Aug 2009, 23:09

You sold me on it when you mentioned the Howling Voice Guild.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

23 Aug 2009, 23:51

Scary-yet-awesome shadow organization under the Scarlet Empire's beck and call, whose agents are everywhere, doing everything from gathering information to protecting targets, to assassinating, and toting strange artifact guns from the First Age. Which likely have spirits or similar sealed inside them and don't just fire bullets. (As suicidal as it is to attach Runes to weapons in II, I liked putting a lightning element on Sturm. It was just so appropriate.)

C'mon, that would be cool beyond words. And also very good origin fodder for a lot of different Exalt types, plus loads and loads of plot hooks.

You could probably put them under another major power like the Guild, or maybe even Lookshy, but I like how the Scarlet Empire can double as a Harmonian/Cynas esque theocracy if you tweak a couple details. And it is also still one of the top dogs on Creation, even if it might not be for long.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

26 Aug 2009, 11:52

My first Solar character was based on a Howling Voice Guild OC for a Suikoden writers' RP I was in back in 2004. Though I put her in the Lookshy Rangers since they're the closest equivalent. :lol:
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

26 Aug 2009, 13:09

If you want to re-use that character, or create one based around the Guild, I have no objections at all; actually, I'd encourage it! It sounds like a good background to work around. (Although I'm tempted to say you're almost obligated to have a shiny artifact gun. X3)

By the way, I was wondering if it would be possible to meet up in chat sometime to further discuss things? Mostly setting and plot in the like; that's the real meat of campaigns (for me) anyway! At the moment, I'm trying to figure out when would be good. I just got a part time job that I need to get up early in the morning for, so I'm not able to stay online as late as I used to. This weekend looks pretty open for me, though.

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Night Sky Revelations
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Thousand Revenant Infinities Style
Artifact: Knives of the Endless Road

26 Aug 2009, 22:25

I know shit about Suikoden except that it involves retelling Chinese legend, but I want in, and I vote for An-Teng because I love An-Teng.

If there's no central ST, do we bring our own NPCs, or what?

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

26 Aug 2009, 22:48

I think that the extent of the Suikoden involvement will be those themes mentioned at the start, as well as tailoring a couple elements from it into Exalted to fit with the setting. (Such as the Howling Voice Guild; they're basically this group of espionage experts that operate from a disgustingly large and powerful nation. There's a lot of politics within the Guild, however, and all the characters that show up in the game are known for their trademark firearms. Which in Exalted would probably use flame dust, or shoot lightning or similar.)

On the NPCs, yes, actually. I'm also hoping that people are comfortable with bringing in their ideas for plots and conflicts, provided that they can also bring in elements that involve the other characters. An example combining both these things might be if a PC rival is going to show up; the other players are interested in that, and to help give them something to do, said NPC rival has brought along some mooks to keep the other PCs busy while the big fight between the two characters is happening.

And also, noted! Glad to have you aboard, and hopefully we'll be able to get this off the ground in fairly quick order, once we can hammer down a few more details.

Sabotura
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: Cheerful Sidekick
Exalt: Abyssal

13 Sep 2009, 15:14

Is this all sewn up or is there room for one more? :) It sounds fun but the last post in the discussion here was in August . . .
A "sabotura" is actually a breed of cat.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

13 Sep 2009, 15:54

I'm pretty sure nothing's actually started yet. ^^ This is just planning stuffs.
Text in red is modvoice.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

13 Sep 2009, 18:38

Hey now! Personally, I think that we've been making very good process on stepping up our planning cycle. We've upgraded from the speed of a glacier to the speed of thawing molasses. XP

Right now I'm pretty sure we've ironed down setting; likely in An-Teng, with the option of branching out to other locales later on, and likely with the Realm playing an antagonistic role.

At the moment I believe that we're still working on character concepts. And figuring out just what sort of chat/contact system between players works best; I know that this Tuesday, I'll work on being on the IRC channel if people want to discuss things.

Sabotura
Essence 2
Essence 2

14 Sep 2009, 01:11

XD I see! Well, I am definitely interested in playing by picture and I am just a little biased towards using a previous character--just because she's already made, she didn't get a lot of story mileage and her game sort of crumbled prematurely. Is that alright? Who else is all playing? What sort of art resources/bio do I need to get together (seeing as I am somewhat slow to work)? I am just so full of questions oh my.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

14 Sep 2009, 20:55

Questions are a good thing!

Bringing in a pre-created character is okay, provided they fit well with the setting/game theme. Like I said in the first post, we'll probably be doing lots of intrigue and alliances in addition to fighting wars, causing revolutions, and maybe doing a bit of 1st Age Ruin exploration or similar as well.

As far as art resources go, any media is fine. I'll likely be using a tablet and photoshop myself, mainly. And with the bios, a front and back illustration of the character will be necessary, so everyone else knows how to draw said character. (As far as generation goes, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a house-ruled PDQ system, which is generously linked over here.)

Right now we've got Obscaenus, who I believe is currently debating between two Eclipse caste concepts, or a rogue Midnight Abyssal. Kailan and I will be talking character concepts tomorrow, as well.

Sabotura
Essence 2
Essence 2

15 Sep 2009, 01:30

I'll probably end up with a combination of trad + photoshop, depending on my mood and whether I'm in class or not. :/ I'm unsure about whether or not she would fit in, but IIRC there were so many differently motivated characters in Suikoden. Not that I've ever had a lot of time or inclination to play any of more of the games.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

16 Sep 2009, 21:38

And an update on where we stand with character concepts!

After talking it over with Kailan, it looks like she'll be going with an ex-Wyld Hunt member who Exalted as a Lunar, either Changing or Waning Moon, depending on how we tackle the castes.

Myself, I'm thinking of going with a formerly well-bred, comes-from-a-high-standing-family No Moon Lunar, who came dangerously close to becoming a Chimera before getting found by the Silver Pact. (And partially due to that has racked up a lot of Blood Debt, and is really wanting to get out of Pact territory to have some breathing room.)

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5

17 Sep 2009, 06:14

I'm going with the Midnight, partly since unlike the other two I haven't actually played him in quite a while. He's a little hard to describe, but in very short terms, an actor from Gem who had possibly the world's most embarassing midlife crisis. (Which is not to say he's not a serious character, he just... has all the self-awareness of a beached whale.)

(Also voting 5-Caste, because particularly if other folks're bringing in Lunars, one of his major NPCs works best as Waxing. But that can be dealt with if necessary.)

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

18 Sep 2009, 20:37

Alright guys, sorry for the wait, but here's our character sheet (of sorts) for the game!

All that's left to do is write up the house rules for character generation in the PDQ plug in (after looking over it, that system seems like the best) and then making a quick and simple text sheet for that. While I don't expect that we'll be doing a lot of dice rolls, I think it'd still be good to have some stats on hand, just in case.

If you've got any questions, go ahead and ask!

Sabotura
Essence 2
Essence 2

18 Sep 2009, 23:30

Any time this weekend when anyone will be in IRC? Tuesday just didn't happen for me, I was really tired. ;_;

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

19 Sep 2009, 20:54

I think it's pretty chaotic just when people are online during the weekend, but it seems like Saturday evenings have a good chance of multiple people being on the channel. Although that might be due to the fact that people run games on IRC around then.

Kaysper
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

01 Oct 2009, 22:31

Alright everyone. Sorry for the long wait, but here's the mechanics half of the character sheet. And, just to try and keep the information in one thread, here's a link to the PDQ system.

Name: (Self explanatory. Your character's name!)
Player: (Also self explanatory. If you want, you can include some contact info, but it isn't mandatory.)
Exalt Type: (Solar? Lunar? Sidereal or Abyssal?)
Caste: (Get thee to a core book index if you don't know what this is.)
Anima: (The iconic Anima banner. Describe it however you'd like. Pictures also work well as a substitute.)

Caste Quality: (Some sort of Quality drawn from the character's Caste. An Eclipse Caste might have "Silver Tongued Diplomat," or a Dawn could have something like "Swordsman" for example.)
Favored Quality: (A quality that falls OUTSIDE the character's Caste.)
Favored Quality: (See above.)
Motivation: (Much like in d10 Exalted, this is something that drives the character. It can add bonuses when acting in tune with what the character is doing, but can also cause penalties if being acted against.)
Past: (A Quality relating to the character's background. It could be something like resources, contacts, and the like, but it could also represent some skill or profession they picked up before Exalting.)
Flaw: (A good character needs a good foible. It could be a physical or psychological weakness, something background inspired like a sense of duty, or similar. It DOES NOT have to be a Limit Break, although you will need to select that as well.)

(Note: all Qualities begin at the Good [which gives a +2 Modifier, or MOD] Rank, and can be increased up to Master [+6] rank. In addition to the 5 different qualities you get at the start, you also have 10 extra ranks that can be spent on either raising those qualities, or purchasing new ones.)

Extra Quality: (Description and rank)

Essence Rating: (Starts at 2, unless bonus points are spent.)
Personal Essence: (Essence x3 + Caste MOD + 5)
Peripheral Essence: (Essence x8 + Caste MOD x2 + Highest personality or willpower based MOD x2 + 5)

Charms: (You get 10 to start with, and can purchase more with bonus points. All charms should be linked in some fashion to a quality. The PDF provides an excellent reference for how some of the book charms progress.)

---

A few notes to help with character generation:

-Qualities in PDQ tend to be fairly broad and phrase based. It's easy to encompass both an Attribute and an Ability with the right description, which is fine. Backgrounds can also be translated into Qualities as well.

-At the start of character generation, you have 20 Bonus Points to spend. For a short cut, this how the costs work:
Permanent Essence: Current rating x8
Increase Quality by one Rank: 6 points (5 if in favored or Caste Qualities)
Purchase a new Quality at Good [+2] Rank: 8 (7 if the Qualities falls under the Exalt's Caste.)
Purchase a Technique: 2 (1) (NOTE: Techniques are treated as specialties or similar. They get linked to an existing Quality and when relevant add a bonus to the roll.)
Purchase a Charm: 10 (8 if Favored or Caste)

-And no, those aren't typos. You do get a Freebie Favored Quality, and a slight bump in Ranks to distribute, which is different from the PDF.

-If you would like, you can include more about your character's background, personality, etc in this section, if you ran out of room in the illustrated bio. If so, just place the new information right below all the mechanic bits. (On an average sheet, that would be right below Charms.)

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5

07 Oct 2009, 22:30

Fuck it, I'm playing Smoke as an Eclipse Caste. Problem solved.