Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: The Most Se.... never mind.
Exalt: Abyssal
Fighting Style: Dodge Charms

Re: Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies: Memories of Blue

17 Jan 2010, 13:48

;~;

I keep finding pictures that would work beautifully, except for huge glaring flaws - clothes all wrong, wearing a skirt, wrong hair color (though I absolutely love that jacket and those gloves)...

EDIT: Fuck it. If someone wants to draw Olly, send an IM my way. Otherwise, you all can live with a description; I don't have the skill to draw her myself, and I don't have the patience to find a picture that works.
Last edited by lumber_of_the_beast on 17 Jan 2010, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

The Purples
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Goddamn Purples
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: The Purple.
Artifact: 800080

17 Jan 2010, 14:15

This image courtesy of Kailan works rather well for Red if you keep in mind she is probably younger and would have to be stuffing her shirt and what kind of crazy bugger wants to sail a boat on water?

Long story short, it is very hard to find waifish dickensian redheads.

'So you say your name is Ulysses,
that you're wandering around the world.
Tell me sir, have you ever been arrested before?'

This is the worst thing. -bassist159

Here there be dragons.

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6

17 Jan 2010, 14:30

Veiled Devourer of Faces wrote:
This image courtesy of Kailan works rather well for Red if you keep in mind she is probably younger and would have to be stuffing her shirt and what kind of crazy bugger wants to sail a boat on water?

Looks fantastic, but the issue here is that I'm trying to find one that doesn't have any sort of shirt-stuffing at all, at least until such time as Olly's willing to stop being Olly.

Veiled Devourer of Faces wrote:
Long story short, it is very hard to find waifish dickensian redheads.

Tell me about it. X_X

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

17 Jan 2010, 14:45

Psst, Lumby, I think he's talking about his character, not yours.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6

17 Jan 2010, 14:47

BrilliantRain wrote:
Psst, Lumby, I think he's talking about his character, not yours.

...don't mind me, I'm just going to go quietly commit seppuku

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

17 Jan 2010, 16:05

Hmmmm.... I have a question. Is there any particular benefit to taking Fencing on it's own instead of another forte, like Colronan Musketeer, which includes Fencing in it's penumbra?

Mod Text is in Green

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

17 Jan 2010, 16:25

BrilliantRain wrote:
Hmmmm.... I have a question. Is there any particular benefit to taking Fencing on it's own instead of another forte, like Colronan Musketeer, which includes Fencing in it's penumbra?

You can add the fencing modifier to your pre-existing forte. It's more a matter of personal taste, since you can't really game the PDQ system in terms of numbers.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

The Purples
Essence 5
Essence 5

17 Jan 2010, 16:30

The difference has everything to do with character and very little to do with mechanical differences. Admittedly, a fencer has a number of penumbra skills of their own but the major difference is defining your character as Inigo vs. Wesley, one who is a man immersed in the world of fencing and the other being just an incredibly good swordsman by dint of his experiences.

TL;DR - Take fencing if you are an arteest, take Colronan Musketeer if you love fancy boots.

Here there be dragons.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

17 Jan 2010, 21:09

Mal. Quick and dirty doodle trying to figure out costume stuff. No, that's not the color scheme I'll probably go with (other than hair + eyes, anyway).
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

FlenceburgExile
Benevolent Clockwork Overlord
Topic Author
Title: Overworked Celestial Bureaucrat
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: PRUSSIAN DEATH ROBOTS

18 Jan 2010, 08:31

Avast, me hearties! 'Tis the Pirate King speakin', so ye'd best be listenin' up!

The bonny ship Morning Glory be sailing soon, and she's found herself with a powerful need for a crew. (Seems that the last bunch of rotten, stinkin' freebooters she took on found themselves at the wrong end of a Sky Kraken - after passin' through the mouth end, har!)

Now, I see a whole lot of you landlubbers lollygaggin' around her on yon pier, hopin' to make yer names. So listen ye close and pass 'round the old knockout drops for the lilly-livered little schoolboys who'd rather run to their mams than join yon crew. 'Tis time for ...

Okay, I can't keep this up. Besides, we need to talk: the response to this thread has completely shattered my expectations, and I'm sitting here facing the prospect of GMing a game for 9-10 people.

First of all, let me say that this was a hard post to make. (In fact, I've put it off all weekend. ) It's been amazing to watch this thread develop: everyone's been cooperative and kept in-genre, and I've loved watching your character concepts develop. Honestly, there's not a bad one in the bunch.

You guys have really exemplified the best in our community. This right here is the Good Stuff, and we need more of it.

All this sugarcoating aside, we still face a cold fact: I can't start the game with the full cast. I'll work everyone in, and I don't want anyone to feel like they're getting 'cut' or should write this game off entirely, but - in the interests of gameplay and my own mental health - I don't want to run sessions with more than about 6 people at a time. Note that this is also in your interest: since PDQ# only rewards Training Points (xp) and players can cooperate on rolls by stacking applicable Fortes, larger casts slow individual character advancement. Fewer players per session also means that I'll be able to give each one more 'face time' for their particular story hooks.

Anyway, I've tried to make my selections for the starting cast as fair as possible. In the interest of avoiding drama, I'll explain my rubric below as a put together the initial roster.

Again, don't feel left out if you're not on the list. Your character is still in the game, and I'll bring them in as quickly as possible. The game is going to have a large, rotating ensemble cast by necessity.

First off, I'm grabbing three players I've had in previous games. I know that they'll keep the story moving and will keep to Good Form. This is me erring on the side of caution and establishing a secure backbone for the cast through the first story arc.

• Kailan
  • Heaven's Gardner
  • Veiled Devourer of Faces

Next, I'm grabbing the person who's already gone above and beyond in providing new materials for the game. That sort of commitment should be rewarded and encouraged. So...

• lumber_of_the_beast

For the fifth officer aboard the Morning Glory, I had to go for the Mandy Patinkin angle. Padre, former skysailor, and the board's other PDQ fanboy (who will help me get everyone up to speed on the quirks of the system, one hopes)

• Nerrin

There's one slot remaining, but - after reading back through the thread - it appears that we're missing sheets still. Consider this last call: interested parties, get your sheet into me by Wednesday (by posting on this thread, natch) so we can finalize the crew selection and set sail hopefully later this week.

Damn yer eyes and may Vaoz take ye all!
Did you think you would be saved by the gods and idols you have made?

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7

18 Jan 2010, 10:51

Woo~ Looking forward to playing, and also seeing what people come up with. :D
Text in red is modvoice.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

18 Jan 2010, 12:05

What day were you planning on running this, because I don't mind just watching occasionally or something. I ST myself and the idea of doing 9 people kinda freaks me out too. Plus, I dunno how available my schedule is going to be either.

All that said, I do have a character sheet and I, too, am using the format everyone else is using.

• My Name? They call me… Giovanna 'Gia' Quattrochi.
  • Foibles? Well some would say that my Love of Adventure is a problem, but then some would call a boring life ideal, no?
  • My goals and desires? What gets me out of bed in the morning? Well, what Motivates me is my goal: (Good [+2]) to found my own perfect Fencing Style
  • I’m proud to say that my Nationality is that of a Good [+2] Venuccian Citizen
  • As for my Past , my parents were professors at the Grand Academy, so, naturally I was expected to become a Good [+2] Academy Student regardless of my desires. However, I wasn't fully able to escape without learning number of rather dry boring things about history, natural philosophy, mathematics, a few bits of rudimentary alchemical theory, and other dreadfully boring things.
  • For I wanted to study the Sword. All the fencing masters said that my true Swashbuckling Forte was that I am a Good [+2] Fencing Prodigy.
  • Fortes? Why yes—I’ve several!...
    • My mother, one of the few Koldun at the Grand Academy, kept insisting that I had the Gift of the Merhorse, but I've never seen anything that wasn't obviously there in front of me.
    • My Good [+2] Reflexes have been compared favorably to those of a striking snake.
    • And I always seem to know just where I am and how I fit into the general area. (Good [+2] Spatial Sense)
  • And Techniques? Certes, monsieur!
    • Naturally, I'm experienced with my native school of Sagacia, which has the following techniques:
    • Idiom: Precise (Chained to Fencing);
    • Maneuver: Parry (Chained to Fencing);
    • Maneuver: Reading Body Language (Chained to Fencing);
    • Vs Foe: Mianan (Chained to Fencing);
    • I've also started leaning Nangatrad and, thus, I know Idiom: Acrobatic as well. (Chained to Fencing)
  • Style Dice & Training Points: 1/0
  • Not enough of me yet? Ah yes, I know the feeling… Perhaps this assortment of Miscellany will tide you over, hmm?
    • I prefer to dress comfortably, in a shirt, leather vest, leather pants, low heeled boots and gloves. I've been told that my athletic figure is not unattractive, but my abilities with the sword are usually enough to keep unwanted suitors away. I tend to keep my dark hair cut short, though it still seems to find it's way over my eye.
    • As for my past, there is little to tell. My parents wanted me to go into the family tradition of teaching and learning, but my younger brother always preferred that, while I wanted excitement and adventure. Mother kept trying to interest me in the mystic arts, but it never seemed to work for me. Fortunately, I was able to talk them into including fencing in my education, so I wasn't always completely board. Once I grew up, I managed to talk them into letting me go on a voyage as an educational experience and I haven't been back since.
    • My sword? It is serviceable. While I would like to have a better weapon, I always keep in mind something my old swordmaster taught me: "It is not the weapon that makes the warrior dangerous, it is the warrior who makes the weapon dangerous." A true master of the blade could defeat a wix sword with a stick. .....Still, they are very, very pretty weapons, aren't they?
    • Ok, the previous set of fortes isn't quite accurate. She doesn't have the Gift of the Merhorse, just as she has always maintained. What she has is Good [+2] Senses and thus can see little things that give her an edge in combat. That, combined with the style she uses, has made some people attribute her successes to mystic capabilities, especially since Koldun can tell that she does have a gift, just not which one. She thinks they're crazy.
    • However, they aren't totally. Her Good [+2] Spatial Sense is actually one of the obscenely rare ones, the Gift of the Qilin. Again, since she doesn't realize it and everyone who might figure it out is hampered by the fact that they don't think such a gift exists, she thinks she's just got good balance and a sense of how her body fits into the surrounding area. If someone should ever figure this out, she might well be interested in getting some training with this Gift. She also does have an occasional tendency to lose small objects, but not to the point that other Koldun with this gift do.

Does this work?

Mod Text is in Green

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6

18 Jan 2010, 13:28

FlenceburgExile wrote:
Next, I'm grabbing the person who's already gone above and beyond in providing new materials for the game. That sort of commitment should be rewarded and encouraged. So...

Which reminds me, I'm still working on it. (Right now, in fact.) It's just been a kinda busy weekend, what with trying to actually finish my character and hanging out with an IRL friend who doesn't come by to visit all that often.

EDIT: In case it isn't abundantly clear, I really like Wuse's character. Fun Things will happen!

The Purples
Essence 5
Essence 5

19 Jan 2010, 23:55

kogitsuneyoukai wrote:
Including but most certainly not limited to: piracy, unlawful seizure of goods, theft, arson, destruction of private property, unethical use of foresight [among other regional laws], kidnapping, abduction, and ransoming of hostages, indecent exposure, racketeering, unlawful use of gargantuan psittacines, and corruption of the innocent.

This list of crimes made me laugh very loud in a public place.

Here there be dragons.

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

20 Jan 2010, 17:28

Heh, that's pretty much why i wanted to ask about how many players you're planning on. I wouldn't want anyone to endure too many players. I'll toss mine in for good measure, and you feel free to use him is background material or a guest star. Sorry if he's coming in late.

• My Name? They call me… Gustav Osterhausen
  • I must confess, I’m known to have a Foible or two… i'm well known for overindulging in fine cuisine, obsessing in the minutiae of my cooking and have this unerring tendency to avoid wielding swords
  • My strongest desire, my greatest hope, my Motivation[+2] is… to become the greatest cook the Skies have ever known, taking the name of Osterhausen back from its reputation of blood and villiany
  • I’m proud to say my Nationality is Thurgauan [+2]
  • And my Past [+2], which has helped make me what I am today, is that of a master swordsman and instructor at the greatest (and only) fencing academy in Thurgau
  • You might say that my Swashbuckling Forte [+4]is cooking. The art of mixing, matching, dressing and baking creates the most wondrous art that makes people happy and prone to talk things over. I am willing to try anything once, which sadly makes me rather wary of mixing certain components with my food ever again.
  • Fortes? Why yes—I’ve several!
    Well Travelled [+2] is what a cook must be if he is to learn the true secrets of the cuisine of the Skies
    I'm a True Gentleman [+2] as my dress, manners and diction will always be perfect
  • And Techniques? Certes, monsieur!
    o I'm already renowned for my cooking skills (Chained to Swashbuckling Forte)
    o My skill with fighting off ill mannered ruffians with assorted cutlery and cooking implements knows no bounds (Chained to Swashbuckling Forte)
    o I'm a talented herbalist that grows his own spices and collects odd plants in his cabin (Unchained to any Forte)
  • Style Dice & Training Points: 1 Style Die, 0 Training Points.
  • Not enough of me yet? Ah yes, I know the feeling… Perhaps this assortment of Miscellany (appearance, clothing, habits) will tide you over, hmm?
    o I am a tall blond man, with a finely cropped beard and a mustache. While my years of training still show, my years of cooking, tasting and experimenting show even more in the slight paunch and slight rounding of the face i may have picked up
    o I come from a distinguished family that has kept the finest fencing school in all of Thurgau. Alas, after my father's death my younger brother and i came to a... rather loud and unnecessary agreement about the future of the Academy. Alas when i was put into the situation to end it i could choose between the life of my brother or the good name of our family business. I chose the former and disavowed the sword, leaving my homeland and looking for my own place in the world.
    o It deeply troubles me what my brother has been doing with the academy, what was once a fine and honourable institution is now little more then a pretence hiding an academy for rogues, cads and assassins. Without the inclination to confront my brother, my only way to save the legacy of our father is to raise our name from the gutters and into the cookbooks of the Skies and menus of the lords
    o Alas, my brother does not seem to share my inclination for the lack of conflict, as the assassins i have to fight off seem to prove every now and then

The islands of Thurgau (hope this doesn't step on anyone's feet or messes with the setting too much, i'll likely detail it more later)

The high mountains of Thurgau jut out of the mists, their tips covered in snow. Below the peaks jutting from the land of thargau are green valleys, blue mires and and the rough alpine tundra. A cool climate and relatively small amounts of usable space gives the inhabitants of Thargau a professional and conservative demeanour. The Thargaun people are well known for their craftsmanship, especially of wood and fine metalwork.

Now, as for an image of how he'd look...
... sorry, had to. :lol:

Anyway, the image i currently have in my head is Oliver Queen who let himself go a bit :P. I'll try and see if i can find something like that.
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

FlenceburgExile
Topic Author

22 Jan 2010, 08:19

Dammit, you guys aren't making it easy on me. So much awesome in this thread. ;_;

Anyhow, let me just get past the site move and we'll get this ship moving. While we wait, does anyone need a primer on Style Dice or duels/ship combat?

The Purples
Essence 5
Essence 5

22 Jan 2010, 13:30

Alright everyone tone down the quality in here, you heard the captain!

I'd much appreciate a style dice primer especially as it relates to some of the more mystical aspects of the game.

Here there be dragons.

Winter Wombat
Essence 2
Essence 2
Exalt: Lunar

22 Jan 2010, 13:41

Aye, I wouldn't mind a bit of a primer. Whether or not I get a spot on the initial crew, I'll definitely be trying to get my gaming group interested in S7S. I've read through the book, but it's always good to get an explanation from someone well versed in the system.

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6

22 Jan 2010, 14:51

Does anyone have ideas for stuff to be happening right now in Miana? I'm a bit stuck for ideas at the moment...

Also, I'll see what I can do about a primer to style dice.

FlenceburgExile
Topic Author

22 Jan 2010, 15:02

lumber_of_the_beast wrote:
Also, I'll see what I can do about a primer to style dice.

I'll take care of the tutorials, so no worries there. :)

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6

22 Jan 2010, 15:16

Fair enough.

Winter Wombat
Essence 2
Essence 2
Exalt: Lunar

22 Jan 2010, 16:13

For current events in Miana, I could toss a few ideas off the top of my head. I'll shout a few more if I think of any.

-A new fraternity of Alchemists has been growing in power and influence as of late. Their stated goal is to find, within the science of alchemy, the secret to eternal life. To this end they combine their resources and insights. Membership is by invitation only, and several of Miana's most wealthy and influential alchemists have already joined their ranks. Though they are open about their goals, their specific actions and practices have been extremely well concealed. Speculation about their true intentions has become a popular topic of discussion and debate amongst young nobles and scholars, but so far no one has yet seen fit to take action.

-A small but vocal political club has taken to protesting the unification of Miana and Vennucci, claiming that Miana would be better off as a solitary entity. They advocate for either the re-separation of the two nations, or outright conquest of their neighbors. Most dismiss them as raving madmen, fond of enraged speeches but lacking the sense or conviction of a coherent political philosophy. Their members are young and brash, however, and some worry that they may do something drastic in the near future. It has even been suggested that some other agency has been pulling the clubs strings from behind the scenes, probably not with Miana's best interests in mind.

-Just a few months ago, Miana witnessed the opening of a new Academy catering exclusively to the Gifted. It offers Gifted individuals a place to practice, study and refine their inherent magics, in the presence of their peers. The current student population is small, and the teaching faculty smaller still, but the administrators expect that their school will flourish in short time. Many Mianans are scornful of what they see as the inherently elitist premise of the school, but few believe it to be actually harmful. There is, however, much speculation on the school's headmaster, an enigmatic, imposing figure of great wealth, who nevertheless was a practical unknown before the Academy's debut.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

22 Jan 2010, 18:10

Winter Wombat wrote:
For current events in Miana, I could toss a few ideas off the top of my head. I'll shout a few more if I think of any.

-Just a few months ago, Miana witnessed the opening of a new Academy catering exclusively to the Gifted. It offers Gifted individuals a place to practice, study and refine their inherent magics, in the presence of their peers. The current student population is small, and the teaching faculty smaller still, but the administrators expect that their school will flourish in short time. Many Mianans are scornful of what they see as the inherently elitist premise of the school, but few believe it to be actually harmful. There is, however, much speculation on the school's headmaster, an enigmatic, imposing figure of great wealth, who nevertheless was a practical unknown before the Academy's debut.

....He totally needs to be the Count of Monte Cristo.

Mod Text is in Green

FlenceburgExile
Topic Author

22 Jan 2010, 23:04

BrilliantRain wrote:

Marquis de Carabas :3

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

24 Jan 2010, 17:58

FlenceburgExile wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:

Marquis de Carabas :3

Heh. That works too.

Mod Text is in Green