Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author
Title: Small God of Little Fictions
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: Sublime Fleeing Style

Re: Don't Rest Your Head - D is for Dreaming

10 Apr 2010, 03:46

Well, with the given times and everyone largely feeling free to do whenever, I'm personally leaning towards Sunday evenings. The need to break once a month for Kaji's pre-existing game is, at least to me, something of an advantage. I'm hoping it'll help obviate potential game fatigue and that unfortunate tendency for "ahahaha, my life/brain chewed me up and spit me out and I don't have anything ready tonight."

(Speaking of... Kaji, when's the next time your game happens?)

As far as time goes, I'm thinking something like 8 or 9pm, unless midnight does work for more people. I don't want to exclude Phoenix_Kensai out of hand, but it's also important to keep things reasonable overall.

If day and/or time is troublesome or unworkable for anyone, please say so. I don't want to jump anyone through hoops to make the game happen, especially if it just means things are going to crash later.

As far as this Sunday in particular goes, I figure anyone who wants can spend some time talking, brainstorming, and figuring stuff out. Channel is going to be #dryh_dreaming and I may be hanging around in there a lot. I don't always pay a lot of attention to IRC, though, so PMing me may be more effective than just trying to reach me in the channel.
"You ask me what makes man great? That he re-created nature? That he has harnessed cosmic forces? That in a brief time he conquered the planet and opened a window on the universe? No! That, despite all this, he has survived and intends to survive in the future."
Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

QuicksilverFox85
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Borgstromancer
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: All-Consuming God-Monster Stance
Artifact: Flame of the Untamed Wyld [Razor Claws]

10 Apr 2010, 09:29

*finally gets her character up on the wiki* >.>

I'm good with Sundays, although I'd prefer something closer to 8-9 as I need to be somewhat coherent for work on Monday.
Catch you on the flip side...

^_^ QuicksilverFox85
Your friendly neighborhood Latin nerd

"Breakthrough in Borgstromancy - Nobilis Now More Than 10% Understood!
'I Think It's About Flowers,' Local Expert Says" - Axiomatic, rpg.net forums

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: Not a Sidereal
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Stupid Useless Compassion

10 Apr 2010, 13:44

8-9 is a bit inconvenient for me, as I usually can't stay more than an hour or two past that time. That doesn't mean I'm necessarily out, just that the game would have to be put on hold for a little while until I get back... which I guess would be inconvenient for everyone else.

It's okay if I have to be left out to make things reasonable for everyone else, though.

EDIT: ...Though there is one thing I forgot. I have a game on Sunday evenings, and I don't think I could handle two at once, so any time before near midnight is pretty much out for me on that day.

kaji
Essence 1
Essence 1
Title: Jabberwocky
Fighting Style: Furmonious Vorpal Style
Artifact: Claws that Catch and Jaws that Bite

12 Apr 2010, 22:46

@Nerrin : I am actually not entirely sure! I will go find that out and let you know.
"And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!"
-Lewis Caroll, Through the Looking Glass

"Peaceful days are over. Let's Survive." --Naoya, Devil Survivor

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2

14 Apr 2010, 00:00

If anyone is waiting for me to finish my character for any reason, just let me know. I was just putting it off since I'm busy, and wasn't sure if I'll be able to participate or not...

kaji
Essence 1
Essence 1
Title: Jabberwocky
Fighting Style: Furmonious Vorpal Style
Artifact: Claws that Catch and Jaws that Bite

18 Apr 2010, 04:30

Okay, so the next time my tabletop game runs is the ninth. on the eighth, I'm up in the city all day, so I'm pretty much dead that weekend.
"And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!"
-Lewis Caroll, Through the Looking Glass

"Peaceful days are over. Let's Survive." --Naoya, Devil Survivor

Nerrin
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

19 Apr 2010, 01:56

First night of play went decently, though I'm happier with people getting together -- we spent a lot of time at the beginning focusing on each person's introduction, and my apologies to everyone who had to hang for extended periods while getting around to you.

Still, there was drama! Action! ...Self-aggrandizement! :^_^:

Anyway, if there's any interest, I've put up a log of tonight's doings on the previously-posted wiki, and shall continue doing so until there are objections or requests otherwise. Links shall be right under the list of Nightmares on the main game page (and I swear I'll finish writing that lot up before too long, honest!).
"You ask me what makes man great? That he re-created nature? That he has harnessed cosmic forces? That in a brief time he conquered the planet and opened a window on the universe? No! That, despite all this, he has survived and intends to survive in the future."

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2

19 Apr 2010, 16:42

Is the time settled at 8-9, then?

Nerrin
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

20 Apr 2010, 18:28

Phoenix_Kensai wrote:
Is the time settled at 8-9, then?

At least unless or until we find a better time that accommodates everyone. Sunday was mostly getting the ball rolling anyway -- I was getting uncomfortable with how long it'd taken to get things running -- but the plot should also be fairly open to people leaving, joining, or just not being able to make it sometimes. So... I don't know. I guess we'll just have to see.

I'd like to give anyone and everyone who wants into any of my games ever (both IRL and online) the chance to play, but sometimes it's not really feasible. Which royally sucks, from my position too. :D:: If I didn't already know that running two ongoing campaigns at the same time is my reasonable limit, I'd be jumping to start up a second DRYH game that fits your schedule much better.

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2

21 Apr 2010, 02:14

It's okay. There isn't much of a chance I can make it at that time, what with my other game and general schedule, but I'm having trouble keeping up with everything at the moment anyway. Maybe it's for the best...

Winter Wombat
Essence 2
Essence 2

25 Apr 2010, 15:30

Just a heads up, I probably won't be able to make it tonight. My apologies.

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2

07 May 2010, 15:11

Somewhat off-topic, but I hope you'll forgive me for asking here...

One of my friends is running a horror game (offline, unfortunately, so I'm not part of it), and came to me to discuss ideas, but... I've never done anything like it in the past, barring a session or two in a Ravenloft game. So... I thought I'd ask here for advice, as you all have a bit of experience with Don't Rest Your Head at the least.

The system is 4th edition D&D, and will be focused in the beginning on Slender Man (and the atmosphere of paranoia and growing insanity that brings with it). The DM in question doesn't think his players will be familiar with the stories, so using an already established character as the main antagonist shouldn't be a problem.

But so far all I've been able to do is direct him to some articles and books for ideas and advice... as I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how to run a horror game. He seems to have a better grasp of the idea than me, so I'm hardly worried, but I was hoping that a bit of experience with games of this sort would mean you'd all know more about this than either of us.

Nerrin
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author

09 May 2010, 16:01

I think I'm going to call the game for tonight (short notice, I know, sorry). Plushiemancer has an early day tomorrow, Fox has a good chance of being missing, and this is also Kaji's reported monthly game night elsewhere... which I already talked about skipping for anyway. Given that only leaves a couple people in the middle of stuff, with some of these missing people... Sounds like a good night for a break. ;-)

Phoenix_Kensai wrote:
One of my friends is running a horror game (offline, unfortunately, so I'm not part of it), and came to me to discuss ideas, but... I've never done anything like it in the past, barring a session or two in a Ravenloft game. So... I thought I'd ask here for advice, as you all have a bit of experience with Don't Rest Your Head at the least.

The system is 4th edition D&D, and will be focused in the beginning on Slender Man (and the atmosphere of paranoia and growing insanity that brings with it). The DM in question doesn't think his players will be familiar with the stories, so using an already established character as the main antagonist shouldn't be a problem.

But so far all I've been able to do is direct him to some articles and books for ideas and advice... as I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how to run a horror game. He seems to have a better grasp of the idea than me, so I'm hardly worried, but I was hoping that a bit of experience with games of this sort would mean you'd all know more about this than either of us.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not very experienced with the horror genre. I've got a bit more affinity with the weird tale -- think Lovecraft (particularly "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath"), Gaiman, that sort of thing -- where things seem horrible and unpleasant at first, but become part of the surreal landscape as you get more used to them. There will be greater horrors that spike up every once in a while, but anything can become routine if you face it enough.

I don't know if what I'm doing at the moment can be sustained for an ongoing horror game, but the things I'm doing include:

*keep the antagonists at least somewhat mysterious and weird, letting out only small details that make them seem more dangerous rather than less -- secret weaknesses should remain secret for as long as possible without ruining the fun (fun fact: thus far, it seems the PCs have been conflating two different antagonist groups together into one, which only confuses the details on what they are and can do; this was only half-intentional on my part),

*hit them when they think things have settled down (though this gets predictable, which leads to...),

*figure out when they think you're going to hit them, then start pulling your punches; but always be ready for the opportune moment (being the infamous "crashing sound that turns out to be a cat" scene, for example, or as a saying goes about level design in Half-Life: "A headcrab in every vent is boring, a headcrab in one-fifth of the vents is terrifying"). And then take it another step up if they start catching on to this pattern...

It also helps if, once the details are revealed, the idea remains genuinely scary, even if you have to take a moment to let the horrible implications set in. One of my favorite short-lived shows, Threshold, spilled the big details pretty fast, but the idea of an alien "plague" with so many different vectors of transmission, all of which bioform Earth life into their own, remained horribly unpleasant. And then the show started following that potential in excruciating detail, making every step more and more horrible as it went, hammering home just how boned humanity really was.

Phoenix_Kensai
Essence 2
Essence 2

10 May 2010, 15:04

To be perfectly honest, I'm not very experienced with the horror genre. I've got a bit more affinity with the weird tale -- think Lovecraft (particularly "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath"), Gaiman, that sort of thing -- where things seem horrible and unpleasant at first, but become part of the surreal landscape as you get more used to them. There will be greater horrors that spike up every once in a while, but anything can become routine if you face it enough.

Ah, that's fine. My friend said he was going to move the game towards more Lovecraftian themes after the first adventure, after all.

But, thanks for the advice. I've been thinking of running a horror-themed game myself, so I appreciate it too.