Essence 8
Topic Author
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Weapons of the Gods?

01 Jul 2011, 23:11

I've heard about this game before and how it's similar to Exalted. What's it like? Is it good? Does Exalted run better or worse using WotG than the base system?

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

Re: Weapons of the Gods?

02 Jul 2011, 16:56

WotG is a... special system. It's a Borgstromian piece just like original Exalted was. The skills work along similar lines to the Attribute + Ability scheme, however the dice are rolled quite differently (you look for multiple instances of a die... the number of repetitions is the 10s and the die is the 1s of the result). It starts with giving all the characters persistant defenses and setting a very nice scale of difficulty that even puts "Beyond the Impossible". You can enhance your pools by keeping a "river" of dice you didn't need on a trivial roll to add when you really need to make a stellar roll.

Beyond that, each of your attributes gives you a pool of Chi equal to the level of the attribute. This Chi replenishes slowly between rounds, and you use it to power your awesome Kung Fu, Earth Shattering Sorcery or masterful Courtier techniques. Kung Fu has three levels of potence and each Kung Fu uses a different type of chi based on its style (say you want a brutal punching style you use your Strength derived chi, but you also combine it with a serpentine evvasive style powered by your Dexterity derived chi). Each style has tehniques that you gain as you learn each subsequent level.
Sorcery is kind of like Sidereal Astrology, just less clunky and allows for larger scope of effects. It's powered by chi and sorcery lores.
Courtier tehniques are essentialy methods of leading armies and making people love the ground you walk on. They're mostly derived from lores but some are powered by Chi.

Er. Lores. Lores are awesome. Almost half the book are Lores - an optional system that introduces in character elements of development, thought, philosophy, sex, life, death, history, family, sorcery, legacy,weapons of legend (or the Gods :)), genetics... Each of these is presented quite lovely in character and gives you certain bonuses or powers to use at will. I love lores.

The setting is essentialy a over the top Romance of the Three Kingdoms based on the Chinese "manga" series "Weapons of the Gods". It's rather fun and the style is colorful and engaging, even though all the men would make Kenshiro feel inadequate physically :P. The factions, kung fu styles, and even some of the NPC's seem rather engaging. I would say that the game is very much like "Kung Fu Cult Master" taking interspread lines of Exalted and Mysterious Old China.

I've still not switched to WotG yet, even though i've been threatening my players with it for a while now. On the other hand Eos Press has been announcing a new edition as a generic over the top Wu Xia game since they lost the license to WoTG on its own. That might be even easier to mix with Exalted.
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Weapons of the Gods?

02 Jul 2011, 18:05

I'll keep my eye out for it then.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?