Benevolent Clockwork Overlord
Topic Author
Title: Overworked Celestial Bureaucrat
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: PRUSSIAN DEATH ROBOTS

Hellas: Princes of the Universe

07 May 2010, 08:24

Some of you may remember me talking this game up in the past. For those unfamiliar, however, it's Jerry Grayson and Mike Fiegel's epic, generational space opera game blending sci-fi with Greek myth. The metaplot literally opens with the destruction of the Hellene planet Sparta by an unknown fleet of black ships bearing weapons not seen since the height of Atlantis. It's 300 in space, with a little Stargate and Star Wars thrown in for good measure.

Now, I'm not going to rehash my review here. I'm just posting to let you guys know that the hoopy froods at Khepera Publishing have kicked off a preorder fundraiser campaign to finance the print run for Princes of the Universe, the Hellas player's guide.

You can check out a sample here. Personally, I want the book just for the alternate racial lifepaths, the writeup of the (Ama)Zoran Titanoi, and the mass combat system. The fact that it includes more planetary data, a new race (the Pandorans) and pregen'd NPCs is just gravy.

Anyway, think about throwing some cash at these guys if you can at all afford it. Even $10 gets you a PDF copy of the book when it's closer to release. Besides, it keeps Jerry from having to resort to table dancing to pay for the books. :ohdear:

P.S. The next book after this one should cover more details on Slipspace and starship combat. So if you want to make a trench run against the Space Kraken while your hot, blue Amazoran bodyguard fights off the harpies trying to rip into your bireme's plasma sails with her trusty blaster rifle and singing steel daggers, be sure to keep these guys well funded. :neckbeard:
Did you think you would be saved by the gods and idols you have made?

FlenceburgExile
Topic Author

Re: Hellas: Princes of the Universe

02 Jul 2010, 23:53

I just got my hands on a beta PDF for this bad boy. Wowza. I'll spoil more after it heads to print, but suffice it to say you guys won't be disappointed.

• One of the two new races (the Pandorans) are essentially the setting's version of the Quarians. They're nomadic castoffs from the Atlantean empire, and they're careful about exposing themselves to injury - their blood spreads random plagues.
  • The Zorans are the other new playable race, along with full writeups on the non-human homeworlds, cultures, and race-specific lifepaths.
  • Also, writeups for the 12 Titanoi worshipped by the Amazorans and Zorans. This includes their divination method using a deck of cards not completely unlike the tarot.
  • New professions for several of the races - including jobs for Amazoran males and a Nymphas Defender who kills people using insects; like the foot-long bees native to their homeworld.
  • Oh, and a full mass combat system, inspired by the mechanics from Tal5.
  • Then there are the Zoran Blade Dancers...
    A secret sect of warriors trained by the Immortal swordsman, Cambyses, who lives in a fire temple that orbits a secret star in the Traoas System. The teachings are not all martial, and a good portion of the vocation is philosophical, encouraging the Dancers to learn about other traditions and beliefs, and even to challenge their own. Blade Dancers are taught many virtues, and the second highest virtue (the highest is loyalty to the emperor) is to help the helpless. Of course, this runs counter to Zoran teachings and traditions, and so Blade Dancers are also instructed on methods to help those who are helpless without making it obvious. For example, a poor man would not be given money, but he might be pushed to seek out money on his own through insults, abuse, or covert manipulation of events in his life. In this way, Blade Dancers are akin to Hellene Delphic Legionnaires in many respects, and the two groups have been known to treat each other with respect. Each Blade Dancer is given a prized blade once their teaching is complete, are many travel the stars much like the Hellene Legionnaires

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

03 Jul 2010, 05:29

Ooooh! I'll go check my mail!
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

02 Feb 2011, 07:12

Look what i got!

They arrived almost three weeks ago, but i just didn't have the time to tell you lot about it :).
Who else got these pretties?

My current reading backlog is pretty nasty, but i'm planning to take a good look at Princes ASAP.
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Jerry D. Grayson
Essence 1
Essence 1

11 Jun 2011, 02:57

Now that you’ve had a few months to digest it what’s your opinion?

Any thoughts or comments/questions?
Jerry D. Grayson
Khepera Publishing
HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone http://www.hellasrpg.com, SCIFI in the world of Greek Legend, PREVIEW, QUICKSTART RULES
Visit us at http://www.godsendagenda.com * GODSEND Agenda Forums

FlenceburgExile
Topic Author

14 Jun 2011, 10:12

Jerry D. Grayson wrote:
Now that you’ve had a few months to digest it what’s your opinion?

Any thoughts or comments/questions?

I love the game's theme and setting, but I've (sadly) never had a chance to play it. For some reason, ass-kicking Greeks in Space has proven a hard sell for my local group.

From a read-through, though, I'll say that PotU is a lot stronger mechanics-wise than the corebook. HELLAS' 11th hour conversion from d6 shows. The strong setting fluff and theme make up for a lot, and it's a great space opera nonetheless, but you might want to consider releasing a revised corebook at some point - even if it's just a pdf.

Now release Wine Dark Void, dammit! :awesome:

Jerry D. Grayson
Essence 1
Essence 1

14 Jun 2011, 19:04

I agree that the rules could have been presented in a tighter fashion and I may have a chance to release a second edition if all goes well.

I just got the edits back for WDV and I’ll be laying it out soon along with the sister book HELLAS: Swords and Sandals

While your waiting or that, have you had a chance to see the card?
I present the Action Deck

The Kickstart for the cards is now live
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1269000670/hellas-action-deck

Please take a look and tell a friend

The rules are at the link below
http://www.godsendagenda.com/art/ActionDeckRules.pdf

The Fate Deck helps Gamemasters and players mimic the ebb and flow of action in your cosmic Greek adventure story
Included within are
  • 72 full color cards for use with HELLAS
  • A Hero: That the player uses to augment his Hero’s abilities
  • Combat: Used to help add drama to combat
  • Plot Twist: Used to add unforeseen situations to a game
  • Random name, Personality, and Epithet generation for random encounters
  • Complete rules on how to use the deck in your HELLAS adventures
Jerry D. Grayson
Khepera Publishing
HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone http://www.hellasrpg.com, SCIFI in the world of Greek Legend, PREVIEW, QUICKSTART RULES

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

20 Jun 2011, 16:30

Huh. Interesting Idea.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Jerry D. Grayson
Essence 1
Essence 1

02 Sep 2011, 00:27

For those who may be interested...

The HELLAS: Wine Dark Void kickstarter is now live!

Please stop by and have a look and see what the book has to offer.

http://kck.st/mYlmRh

HELLAS is an epic space opera in the style of ancient Greek culture and legend. Every player character is a Hero in a story that you will help create, with the power to influence the settings and elements of the game. HELLAS spans multiple generations, allowing for the continuation of the epic story even after the death of a Hero, in the style of the epic poets of old.

The third major installment in the HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone line

The 128+ page book includes
Full color illustrations of 40+ detailed ships.
Ship modification and construction rules.
Slipspace phenomena. An in-depth look into the wine dark void known as the Panthalassa; the cosmic all sea
Slipspace encounters. A detailed look at the strange denizens that ply the slispspace trade routes preying on the weak
A detailed look at the planet Korinthos. A mega city sprawl that covers the entire planet.
New Metousia rules. A clear look at the players ability to change the world around them.
Planetary Consumer/Trade scores for all the known worlds.
A detailed look at the goddess Aionisia and her temple moon.
Vehicle space combat and chase rules.

What are you helping me with?
The book is done and waiting to go. The major cost is the printing of the book the way it is intended to be presented. With your help the book will be produced in full color and priced at a reasonable level so that anyone interested in the game can have access to it. If by some miracle I can double the amount I can double the content of the book giving everyone who helps almost two books for the price of one.

Any and all help is appreciated. If you can’t pledge please at least tell a friend and make them aware of the project.

Pledge-
Digital Level
Receive a PDF copy of Wine Dark Void a couple of weeks before the printed edition comes out.

Sailor Level
A PDF of the book
A Hardback color copy of the book with your name in the thank you credits

Rider of the Wine Dark Waves Level
A PDF of the book
PDF Bundle of the ships of HELLAS (includes 7 PDF of ships release as PDFs)

Kybernaut of the Void Level
A PDF of the book
A Vinyl GM Mat or map of the Known Worlds

Sovereign of the Panthalassa Level
A PDF of the book
Your chance to design your own space ship and have it included in the book.

Sailor on the Seas of Fate Level
A PDF of the book
A Vinyl GM Mat or map of the Known Worlds
Your chance to design your own space ship and have it included in the book.
A Non Player Character (NPC) Pirate group designed by you that will appear in the book

Release the Kraken!!! Level
All of the above and I will come to your home and cook you a turkey dinner (including a sweet potatoes pie!). This alone is worth the money but I will also run a game for you and your friends…except for your buddy Steve, that guys a jerk.

Jerry D. Grayson
Khepera Publishing