Third Edition

Moderator: BrilliantRain

Morton's Fork
Essence 1
Essence 1
Topic Author

Which sail charms are 'necessary'?

20 Feb 2012, 17:17

If any? I'm playing an Eclipse-caste Solar in a game set in the West, and I may have accidentally built myself into a dread pirate. I know that there are dodge charms and similar that everyone says you should look towards... but are there any particularly good sail charms? Certainly the ones in the core Exalted book looks helpful, but I'm curious as to whether there's any in any of the splats that are especially useful.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Which sail charms are 'necessary'?

20 Feb 2012, 17:58

If you're worried about starting somewhere, Ship-Claiming Stance is a nice first step. The Charms that let you absorb damage that the ship would have taken could also come in handy, but aren't really necessary as such.
I write stories. No, really.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

20 Feb 2012, 18:11

there's the perfect soak for ship combat

makes it fun to make ramming attacks :p

but it really depends on what kind of sail checks you'll need. You should talk to your ST about this.

I'd say ship claiming, a second sail excellency and the perfect soak - as a basic package
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

20 Feb 2012, 18:15

webkilla wrote:
there's the perfect soak for ship combat

makes it fun to make ramming attacks :p

but it really depends on what kind of sail checks you'll need. You should talk to your ST about this.

I'd say ship claiming, a second sail excellency and the perfect soak - as a basic package

One of the damage prevention Charms is useful for ramming. The other is the shipborne equivalent of Unstoppable Juggernaut Incarnation or Alloyed Reinforcement of Flesh.

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Lookshyan brat
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Awkward flailing and some hair pulling
Artifact: Magitech and heirlooms

23 Feb 2012, 14:41

Immortal Captain's Advantages, a Solar Sail Charm from Ink Monkeys, is just great. It give you motes to power your Sail Charms and it makes so using Sail Charms no longer counts as a Charm activation.

Sea-Scanning Glare, an Abyssal Charm, is a useful way to give your character awareness of the environment, and it has a Solar mirror.

Though this may be out of your reach, Sidereal Sail is just full of excellent charms, letting you take your ship and your passengers anywhere. There's not much to do with sailing boats in the Sidereal Sail, but there's a lot to do with getting from one place to other, obstacles be damned.

As for the Solar Sail charms in the book, the ambush charm is fantastic. Being able to hide anywhere is a huge advantage.
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

23 Feb 2012, 14:43

true

just imagine that western wyld hunt shitting bricks when "Oh hey, where did that heavily armed pirate ship that's about to ram us come from?"
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

23 Feb 2012, 16:01

There was also a speed enhancer hidden in Thousand Correct Actions, come to think of it. Rather handy to go twice as quickly as usual.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

24 Feb 2012, 02:19

Dinosaur wrote:
There was also a speed enhancer hidden in Thousand Correct Actions, come to think of it. Rather handy to go twice as quickly as usual.

yup

makes you go twice as fast - but requires that your ship has a means of propulsion...