Blindeye
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author
Title: Monster Hunter
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Giant Axe-Wielding
Artifact: Orichalcum Grimcleaver

How do you handle Healing/Training times?

20 Feb 2012, 17:27

I love Exalted, but I have a hard time convincing my players to enjoy it as much.

One of the main things that crop up every time is Healing Times and Training Times. Both get a big sigh, and I have a hard time convincing them (and myself) that it doesn't interrupt the flow of gameplay.

I mostly am the ST, but I'm recently able to be a PC. I find that I still don't mind still, but do recognize them as a hiccup in game flow.

I'd like two responses for this.

1)How do you handle Healing/Training times in your game WITHOUT Houserules.

2) What Houserules has your group come up with to lessen/ignore/rebalance Healing/Training times.

Help in this matter will greatly breathe more life into my current game, as well as all future games.
~ <o> ~
Seiko doesn't wear a watch. SHE decides what time it is. - From the list of Seiko facts

Arrogance is not confidence. - Me

"Life is too short for bad gaming" - Fear the Boot

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

Re: How do you handle Healing/Training times?

20 Feb 2012, 18:17

I play them straight

ST: "You want to spend a week learning new charms?"

Players: "Yes"

ST: "Ok, do you have a safe haven to do so in, where there wont be any wyld hunt or other nasty?"

Players: "Yes"

ST: "Ok then... you meet a week later, where the story continues..."

as for healing times: If you players do not have a character with medicine charms, its their fault. No seriously. Its like a D&D party with no healer.

for healing I look at the DB charm that allows you to turn lethal wounds into bashing - and I've houseruled that as being a 'defeault' ability for solars. This assumes already closed wounds and such.

they roll against the wound penalty, and heal that many successes of wounds into bashing - so a single -4 lethal wound level needs 1 success as diff. 4

-2, -1 and for -0's as -1s

after that they can sleep it off

Of course, if you have a twilight or something with the 'heal wound levels after just an hour of treatment" then thats even less of an issue

Also, if your players want less training time: Training charms, like harmonic academic method or tiger warrior training - raise an ability one dot, over a week, requiring only a minimum of 5 hours training during the whole week. An hours of sparing or yodeling-lessons are easy to fit into a week of in-game time. This methods leads to no down time for ability training

for charms - well - ya. Also a thing to consider: training charms means training in their use! Obvious charms = obvious training.
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

20 Feb 2012, 22:23

As a guideline for what happens between scenes, I'd imagine. It's been a while since I ran a game, and when I did, I had the misfortune of, for reasons that still elude me, paying attention to the adventure outlines in a certain first edition hardback.
I write stories. No, really.

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Sidereal

21 Feb 2012, 03:27

training times are fairly short in exalted - maybe combine them with travel times?

weve had them off screen of as training montages - works fine

healing? my st showed us body mending meditation - no-ones ever complained after that

Winaran
Essence 3
Essence 3
Title: The Chosen of the Demon City
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Melee and Infernal Hero Style
Artifact: The Most Awesome Muscles Ever

21 Feb 2012, 09:23

Body Mending Meditation is even suggested charm (along with Ox Body Technique) in core book. It really makes a difference I tell you. :)
"With a few specific necromantic exceptions, it's pretty difficult to win a battle if you're dead."

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

21 Feb 2012, 13:13

what flavour of exalts do you have in the group?

solars with body mending meditation - a friend of mine just today claimed they heal faster than d&d parties with only a single cleric (don't play d&d myself so dont know about that)
lunars - can effectively regenerate as i recall
sidereals - might have trouble, but should never get hit anyway
abyssals? not sure about these dont they have a bmm mirror?
infernals? no clue?
dragonblooded - turn all their wounds into bashing then laugh all the way to the bathhouse/hot springs
alchemicals - long time since i used them last but dont they regenerate almost as fast as lunars?

also ealted has the shortest training times i could find except for earthdawn - assuming training time wasnt just ignored obviously

Blindeye
Essence 5
Essence 5
Topic Author
Title: Monster Hunter
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Giant Axe-Wielding
Artifact: Orichalcum Grimcleaver

21 Feb 2012, 13:38

Our issues are mainly due to the Lunar concept one of us is player. She wants to be our healer, but we can't find any means to let her be a Lunar and still have that job.

If I took Body-Mending Meditation (me being the Dawn Caste that keeps getting hurt) I'd be depriving her of her concept.

Even custom Lunar Charms would help.

As for training times, I've realized their purpose in the big picture and have no problem with them anymore.
~ <o> ~
Seiko doesn't wear a watch. SHE decides what time it is. - From the list of Seiko facts

Arrogance is not confidence. - Me

"Life is too short for bad gaming" - Fear the Boot

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

21 Feb 2012, 15:48

Blindeye wrote:
Our issues are mainly due to the Lunar concept one of us is player. She wants to be our healer, but we can't find any means to let her be a Lunar and still have that job.

thats one of the things about exalted
not every exalt is (can be) good at every job!
and lunar healer just isn't that auspicious a combination

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

21 Feb 2012, 16:37

lunars can heal themselves - VERY WELL

wood DBs are handy with mundane diseases

solar doctors give you wedgies of life that heal EVERYTHING

so ya

EDIT:

a thematically correct lunar 'healing' charm - couldn't that be something of a "I take the damage levels that my target take" kind of deal?

It'd both have a combat application - as a kind of Defend Other supplemental charm, but also as a simpler healing charm. Combined with the self-healing stamina charms it seems quite reasonable
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

21 Feb 2012, 19:30

Something you might try is using the Creation Ruling Mandate Rules from the recent Master's of Jade supplement. It will give you some other options for things to do at that time scale along with healing, training, and crafting.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Henry
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Lookshyan brat
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Awkward flailing and some hair pulling
Artifact: Magitech and heirlooms

23 Feb 2012, 14:31

For Lunars there's an Intelligence charm in Glories of the Most High (the name escapes me), that allows you to mold flesh (yours and others') like clay. It can even be used to fix Crippling injuries. That charm and some logical custom charms expanding it allow some decent Lunar healing. You could also possibly build off the Lunar charms that let them 'share' their abilities, by letting a patient eat some of the Lunar's flesh and gain his superior regeneration. You can also do some nice medicine with Alchemy and by summoning demons and elementals, and lets not forget the Lunar ability to create anti-venoms, etc., with their Stamina charms.

As for how I handle Healing and Training times in my game, I use them more or less straight up. When time is important and every minute is being tracked I'm fairly strict. Being hurt is supposed to be a Bad Thing, and it makes Aggravated damage and various other effects really unappealing, which in turn can prompt players to surrender or run away rather than suffer them. I like this, and consider it more realistic than trying to fight to the death every time, which is an exhausting habit to deal with as a storyteller.

When the game is in full dramatic time, though, I tend to handwave away healing and training time. You need 11 days to fully heal and only have 10? That's fine, you're fully healed anyway. Might not have quite enough time train for that charm or combo? If it's essential for the upcoming fight, you get it.

It's a fine line to walk, because training and healing times should mean something, just as healing charms and training charms should confer some benefit. I err on the side of following the rules by the letter, because then everyone knows what to expect and doesn't just have to deal with ST fiat.
You can dare to do anything and succeed in anything, provided you never forget that two and two do not make four; in clumsy hands, they often make three or even less; but they can make five or six. - Louis-Herbert Lyautey

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

23 Feb 2012, 14:52

Henry's got a point

although I was mainly looking at the solar's and lunar's default healing and flesh-mending charms

also that lunar fleshcrafting charm has some really nasty potential uses... it certainly puts a new spin on the old "I got your nose!" line

e-Liz-A
Essence 3
Essence 3
Title: Would-be Ishvara
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: Violently Not Fighting
Artifact: The Grammar

28 Mar 2012, 02:19

Resumption of Internet-Access Gesture!

I've always had trouble finding ways for my players' characters to have enough time to train, as a lot of plots I've run have been fairly tight, time-wise. (The "very bad day" syndrome, if you will.) As a result, and since Creation-Ruling Mandate came out, I've been looking at maybe rigging a sort of bastardized version of that (or at least of an extended dramatic action) to have players roll to learn new things. If the game is going to be very short internally (even if it takes half a year to play out) then the intervals end up short. If the player wants to rush, they might get a shorter interval, but at the expense of a higher difficulty. If they don't do much toward actual training in an interval, they might have an internal penalty (their mind really wasn't in it). If they have a bunch of experience sitting around unused (a hazard due to the above-mentioned lack of opportunity to train), they can spend more than they strictly need to to improve the results of their rolls. If they fail, ultimately, to acquire enough successes, they can try again, but with a penalty, or can choose to give over and lose some of the experience (no more than half lost), but will likely make up part of the loss just for trying.

I still haven't worked it all out (still busy trying to swallow the firehose of 2.5 and start a new game), and one of my players is a bit... uncertain... of the idea, but if something like this might work for someone, I'd be glad of feedback/ideas.
-Liz :raksha:
Not a defective tomato!