Artifact: Resplendent Accountancy Glasses

New Abyssal Charms [with Larceny, Bureaucracy]

20 Jun 2012, 21:29

Expired Good Host Puppetry
Cost: 4m, Minimums: Larceny 4, Essence 2, Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Compulsion, Illusion
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Reality-Subverting Gesture
{Insert emo fluff text about life being so close to death, death can come and noone notices the difference.} Upon laying a killing blow from surprise, may roll Wits+Larceny, adding Essence successes if absolutely noone succeeded on noticing the attack, to disguise the victim; anyone with lower MDV is subject to an unnatural Illusion believing the target to be alive, and a Compulsion not to interact in a way that might disprove the illusion. They will carouse with a corpse, any questions they ask will immediately be moved on from, and so on. The illusion is maintained until someone successfully pierces the Compulsion, which costs 2wp to act against; the moment someone points out the host is, in fact, a corpse, panic most likely ensues. The illusion fades after one scene.
At Essence 3, this charm improves; rather than fading completely after one scene, the MDV required to ignore the illusion and compulsion drops by 2 per day as decay sets in and the corpse remains suspiciously immobile. A skilled Abyssal can slay a man and laugh as manservants tend to the body for a week before realizing their master is dead.

Requested in a chat, inspiration is probably guessable.
Last edited by Kitsunemimi-Maiden on 21 Jun 2012, 07:48, edited 2 times in total.
On Infernal logic:
(4:22:38 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: So I did the only logical thing.
(4:22:49 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: I fell in love with the bad guy and twisted his spine into a pretzel

QuicksilverFox85
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Borgstromancer
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: All-Consuming God-Monster Stance
Artifact: Flame of the Untamed Wyld [Razor Claws]

Re: Expired Good Host Puppetry [new charm, Abyssal Larceny]

20 Jun 2012, 21:42

*applauds* I can see some very fun uses for this charm... :3
Catch you on the flip side...

^_^ QuicksilverFox85
Your friendly neighborhood Latin nerd

"Breakthrough in Borgstromancy - Nobilis Now More Than 10% Understood!
'I Think It's About Flowers,' Local Expert Says" - Axiomatic, rpg.net forums

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Dawn Caste
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Solar Melee
Artifact: The Tabar Perihelion

21 Jun 2012, 00:29

Weekend at FLaFL's?

Maybe an upgrade or high Essence enhancement that will make people carry the corpse around with them? Also, how would it interact with ambulatory corpses, such as zombies?

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

21 Jun 2012, 06:06

ya this needs a zombie extention in case the corpse is reanimated

some kind of essence 4 charm for it
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"

Kitsunemimi-Maiden
Essence 3
Essence 3
Topic Author
Title: Official SidereaLunaRaksha
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Foxmaths
Artifact: Resplendent Accountancy Glasses

21 Jun 2012, 06:45

I might do the "Ess 3 upgrade, people with intimacies towards the corpse are compelled to make the corpse act appropriately, carry it along, etc, and the illusion covers this so onlookers think the person is alive".

I'm very much shying away from "reanimate a dead guy as a zombie, use this charm, noone ever knows he's dead", though; this is primarily spiritually intended as a tool to create shocking murders where someone is realized to be dead long after they actually are slain, rather than a social tool to puppet a society through a corpse ruler; that should be its' own Socialize charm, to me, given my feelings on Abyssal themes and tendencies.

Basically, Larceny here is fitting for disguising your murder, which is what you do as an Abyssal. Putting a dead puppet in a position of social power is Bureaucracy or Socialize.

[Edit] BONUS ROUND!
Deathgrip on Authority
Cost: 8m1wp, Mins: Bureaucracy 4, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Illusion
Prerequisites: Any Bureaucracy Excellency
The hierarchies of humanity were intended to carry on in the face of death, but in the perfect design, death was an unmistakable thing; in a broken world where those who die linger on, who can say that their authority should be diminished? This charm is a dramatic action targetting either the ghost or reanimated corpse of a figure who, in life, held some position of authority, such as a prince, a wealthy Guild Factor, or the like. The Abyssal chooses an organization the target was associated with; the ghost or zombie [as guided by its' reanimator] gains any authority they held that was lost with death, imposing an Illusion on all members of the associated organization to this effect; the ghost in question, or necromancer in control of the corpse, may execute Leadership Actions as if they had legitimate authority. Other leaders of the organization may attempt to oppose this with a Shift Policy/Structure action, but suffer an external penalty on this roll equal to the Abyssal's Essence, and must succeed on this action [Abyssal's Bureaucracy] times. Upon successfully re-revoking the authority of a dead leader, their authority is lost and may not be restored by this charm.
If this charm is used on both the ghost and the corpse of the dead figure, both suffer a -2 internal penalty due to conflicting reports of the dead one's identity until either: the zombie, controlling necromancer, or ghost are slain; the two work together and seek to pursue the same goals; or one of the two is ousted by the above method (remembering that each may attempt this on the other, as well).
On Infernal logic:
(4:22:38 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: So I did the only logical thing.
(4:22:49 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: I fell in love with the bad guy and twisted his spine into a pretzel

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

Re: New Abyssal Charms [with Larceny, Bureaucracy]

21 Jun 2012, 08:40

now there's an undead puppet charm...

looks good - although having to perform Abyssal's Bureaucracy number of actions to counter the charm... that seems like a lot

maybe say that the change policy actions have to accumulate a total of Abyssal's Bureaucracy number x 2 successes

that'd still give an abyssal time to counter such efforts
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Dawn Caste
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Solar Melee
Artifact: The Tabar Perihelion

21 Jun 2012, 11:06

Kitsunemimi-Maiden wrote:
I might do the "Ess 3 upgrade, people with intimacies towards the corpse are compelled to make the corpse act appropriately, carry it along, etc, and the illusion covers this so onlookers think the person is alive".

I like that. Burnie is so much more terrifying if Larry and Richard don't realize he's actually dead.

I'm very much shying away from "reanimate a dead guy as a zombie, use this charm, noone ever knows he's dead", though; this is primarily spiritually intended as a tool to create shocking murders where someone is realized to be dead long after they actually are slain, rather than a social tool to puppet a society through a corpse ruler; that should be its' own Socialize charm, to me, given my feelings on Abyssal themes and tendencies.

That's a good point.

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

Re: New Abyssal Charms [with Larceny, Bureaucracy]

24 Jun 2012, 23:16

Expired Good Host Puppetry
Cost: 4m, Minimums: Larceny 4, Essence 2, Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Compulsion, Illusion
Prerequisite Charms: Reality-Subverting Gesture
{Insert emo fluff text about life being so close to death, death can come and noone notices the difference.} Upon laying a killing blow from surprise, may roll Wits+Larceny, adding Essence successes if absolutely noone succeeded on noticing the attack, to disguise the victim; anyone with lower MDV is subject to an unnatural Illusion believing the target to be alive, and a Compulsion not to interact in a way that might disprove the illusion. They will carouse with a corpse, any questions they ask will immediately be moved on from, and so on. The illusion is maintained until someone successfully pierces the Compulsion, which costs 2wp to act against; the moment someone points out the host is, in fact, a corpse, panic most likely ensues. The illusion fades after one scene.
At Essence 3, this charm improves; rather than fading completely after one scene, the MDV required to ignore the illusion and compulsion drops by 2 per day as decay sets in and the corpse remains suspiciously immobile. A skilled Abyssal can slay a man and laugh as manservants tend to the body for a week before realizing their master is dead.

Requested in a chat, inspiration is probably guessable.

YES!

This pleases DPM.

:mow:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears