Essence 6
Title: Barbabe arbiter of unbound gravitas
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: March of the Thrice-linked Digital Webwork
Artifact: 4Chans Might

Re: Few questuions bout game

14 Jun 2012, 02:45

ah ok

ironically enough - googling how to smoke heroin (so I can describe it to my players when they see the adicts that the guild leaves in its wake) informs me that smoking heroin is often called "chasing the dragon"

how thematically appropriate
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.
- may contain people being called "bob"

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

14 Jun 2012, 08:25

A word on hardness

I always thought that hardness worked as magic initial super-soak - scaling down damage before normal soak is applied

as in

you have soak 5 and H5 - a 12 dmg attack come in - you only take 2 dmg

but rereading the section on soak in the core book... it sounds like the above would mean that you'd take 7 dmg, as hardness would only totally nulify dmg equal to or under its rating, while not affecting anything above it

which is correct?
I have a webcomic: http://psitech.comicgen.com - Its kinda like exalted, except more furry, more fanservice, more fun, more sci-fi.

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Sidereal

14 Jun 2012, 09:50

webkilla wrote:
but rereading the section on soak in the core book... it sounds like the above would mean that you'd take 7 dmg, as hardness would only totally nulify dmg equal to or under its rating, while not affecting anything above it

which is correct?

as i understand this version

hardness (unless very high) mostly protects against mooks and extras

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

14 Jun 2012, 11:41

Mei Yu Lian wrote:
webkilla wrote:

which is correct?

Not if you're using Stone Rhino's Skin. I don't think that it would get charged 8m per use if it were just to be used against small fry.
I write stories. No, really.

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Dawn Caste
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Solar Melee
Artifact: The Tabar Perihelion

14 Jun 2012, 11:52

Hardness does not add to Soak. This is explicitly stated on p.145 in the Order of Attack sidebar: "If Hardness is equal to or greater, the defense absorbs the attack without effect. Otherwise, the damage ignores the defender's Hardness."

Hardness is a kind of stop condition to damage at the beginning of Step 8. Its meant to prevent the rules hole that would allow a Str 1 mortal with no Melee to punch down a stone wall in ~240 strikes and similar foolishness, I think. But since it is a kind of sub-par Perfect soak, it also tends to come in small values and at fairly high expense.

Mei Yu Lian
Essence 6
Essence 6

14 Jun 2012, 15:36

Dinosaur wrote:
Mei Yu Lian wrote:
webkilla wrote:

which is correct?

Not if you're using Stone Rhino's Skin. I don't think that it would get charged 8m per use if it were just to be used against small fry.

dino: which part are you saying no to?

that thats how hardness works?
or that hardness from most sources is mostly against mooks?

ofcourse there are sources - charms mostly - that work really well against just about anything
but most hardness ive seen has been the passive stuff from armour - and thats mostly for mooks

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

14 Jun 2012, 16:10

so... hardness doesn't work like soak, just as a "you must do this much damage to proceed" for attacks?

Well... that certainly nerfs armor compared to how I've previously played with it (I've always thought of it as that kind of unpiercable magic extra soak)

but ok

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

14 Jun 2012, 17:30

Mei Yu Lian wrote:
dino: which part are you saying no to?

that thats how hardness works?
or that hardness from most sources is mostly against mooks?

ofcourse there are sources - charms mostly - that work really well against just about anything
but most hardness ive seen has been the passive stuff from armour - and thats mostly for mooks

The intention to use it mostly against mooks. Intention matters little, ultimately; Stone Rhino's Skin really requires an awful lot more to justify the expenditure, such as a Charm to allow Lunars to soak lethal with their full Stamina (doesn't exist presently) or become utterly huge. Being utterly huge tends to change the dimension to "use siege and Artifact weapons" rather quickly for both Alchemicals and Lunars, but colossus Alchemicals with Exoskeletal Armor Plating don't have to pay for their Hardness beyond it using up 6+ Charm slots.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

14 Jun 2012, 18:15

using +6 charm slots on exoskeletal armor?

I'd prefer using artifact armor or find some other workaround to wasting that many charm slots

but fair nuff, hardness doesn't reduce damage - it only nulifies weak dmg

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

14 Jun 2012, 18:21

webkilla wrote:
using +6 charm slots on exoskeletal armor?

I'd prefer using artifact armor or find some other workaround to wasting that many charm slots

You can have both. Exoskeletal Armor Plating adds its soak to the armor you're wearing. It's even easier now that superheavy plate is only three dots. In the end, you can get upwards of +39L/+45B soak (on top of Stamina) with a Hardness of 18L/24B, at the low end.

Of course, the recent errata only applied to the Essence 1-5 environment. Anything Essence 6 or higher tends to make it a bit weird.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

15 Jun 2012, 02:52

true true

but there wasn't any errata aimed at the alchemicals?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

15 Jun 2012, 17:17

webkilla wrote:
true true

but there wasn't any errata aimed at the alchemicals?

It didn't catch a few important points, like what happens to Light-Etched Interceptor Barrier now that shields aren't cover, and mistakenly attributed its Essence-draining submodule to a different Charm while making it yield Overdrive motes. Note that it did not add any Overdrive Charms, so Alchemicals still don't have any way to use those motes...

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5

16 Jun 2012, 00:03

I'm willing to wait for better free content. At least they aren't charging us a couple bucks for it like they've done with the left-overs from a few of the more recent books. Though me grumbling about that is kind of funny, since I'd be more than willing to voluntarily fork over for an errata'd core book in hard copy.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

16 Jun 2012, 00:29

Daerim wrote:
I'm willing to wait for better free content. At least they aren't charging us a couple bucks for it like they've done with the left-overs from a few of the more recent books. Though me grumbling about that is kind of funny, since I'd be more than willing to voluntarily fork over for an errata'd core book in hard copy.

Well, the announcement regarding 2.5 was that it would be an ongoing process.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

17 Jun 2012, 07:13

but will it ever end?

Ok, new fun thing to talk about: Eclipse caste anima powers and alchemical charms and submodules

Example: If an eclipse caste solar (or moonshadow abyssal) buys the alchemical charm Optical Enhancement...

well - what would that character have to pay to get the subsequent sub-modules installed? The regular submodule price, or the full eclipse caste 'non-solar charm' cost?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

17 Jun 2012, 10:59

webkilla wrote:
but will it ever end?

Ok, new fun thing to talk about: Eclipse caste anima powers and alchemical charms and submodules

Example: If an eclipse caste solar (or moonshadow abyssal) buys the alchemical charm Optical Enhancement...

well - what would that character have to pay to get the subsequent sub-modules installed? The regular submodule price, or the full eclipse caste 'non-solar charm' cost?

It has to at some point due to finite resources with which to do free work.

As for the Mecha-Eclipse dilemma, I'd charge them double for submodules, but there's not anything I've found to outright state that it happens that way, other than the likely result of the anima power description.

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5

17 Jun 2012, 13:16

Personally, I'd suggest that the player might just want to play an Alchemical if he's that interested in their Charms.

Otherwise, I agree with Dino and say that the double cost should extrapolate to submodules and other upgrades to Charms of all types. Eclipse are still Solars and should primarily adhere to that theme (with a few exotic tricks), instead of grab-bagging willy nilly from others.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

26 Jun 2012, 09:57

Ok, here's a fun one

been looking around at errata'd charms with the martial-ready keyword, as well as those with other 'ready' setups

example:

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/inde ... eance_Draw

its Martial-ready: Martial Arts, Melee, Thrown

And for thrown this would be great!

Except you'd have to learn an archery excellency AND another archery charm (neither of which help with thrown) first

so... how does that make sense?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

26 Jun 2012, 10:37

Why are all those ambush/unexpected attack-improving Charms in Thrown and not Stealth? It's wacky all around because the foundation of 2e put some things into weird places, and we tend to get stuck with them until someone decides that errata on par with the Fair Folk is absolutely necessary. In the meantime, you can suggest in places where the staff listens that it is a good candidate for the Merged Keyword.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

26 Jun 2012, 16:11

I wouldn't know where to suggest that

I dunno, I was more thinking a special training rule for martial-ready charms

like, you can learn it directly if you meet the requirements of the other ability you want to use it in - skipping the need to learn the pre-req charms - but for an increased price (say x2) and only as a non-caste/favored charm (so it'll take longer)

I dunno

I mean, I can see the overall idea og martial-ready charms as "oh, and you can add this in too - without having to also spend a lot of time going down other charm trees"

Daerim
Essence 5
Essence 5

27 Jun 2012, 00:47

But one of the purposes of the Martial-Ready and Merged keywords is to encourage people to spread out in combat abilities, instead of just focusing on Melee or Thrown or Archery and never touching the rest.

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

27 Jun 2012, 06:13

hmm fair nuf - I guess

but it'd still be a pain for anyone who isn't a dawn or similar weapons-favored caste to learn all of it

webkilla
Essence 6
Essence 6

27 Jun 2012, 10:38

Ok, this is kinda tricky for me

I got a new player joining my game - and he's playing a Sid (secret sid)

how should I deal with arcane fate and the players?

I mean, they're supposed to remember each other...

I figure I'll just handwave it by having the sid do some little ritual on them that'll mark them spiritually so they'll remember sids - but do any of you lot have any other ideas or methods?

I know the official way to remember a single sid is to succeed in three wits-occult rolls IIRC - but I don't trust all of my players to succeed in that

Kitsunemimi-Maiden
Essence 3
Essence 3
Title: Official SidereaLunaRaksha
Fighting Style: Foxmaths
Artifact: Resplendent Accountancy Glasses

28 Jun 2012, 03:44

webkilla wrote:
hmm fair nuf - I guess

but it'd still be a pain for anyone who isn't a dawn or similar weapons-favored caste to learn all of it

Considering that Martial and Martial-Ready were introduced in the "Dawn Solution" ink monkeys update, that's kind of half the point; your average character masters one fighting style, maybe dabbles in another, because at their core they are a Talky / Crafty / Sneaky /Governy Guy, not a Fighty Guy.

The Dawn is the most Fighty Guy, favoring all the weapon skills, and thus posssesses incentive there to master more than one.

As far as the Sidereal goes, there's a few possibilities. If he's being Sekrit Sid, he probably isn't planning on anima flaring; make a Resplendent Destiny. Even using the shitty core rules, a channel or the like, and a bunch of footwork, a week of prep will let anyone make one with enough Duration for basic needs.

Failing that, if they don't feel comfortable with the limitation of "Don't peripheral expend or you take paradox", they can toss two charms and Ride 2 at Breaking the Wild Mortal, then just get an opportunity to bridle one Solar twice, netting the circle as Acquaintences.

Remember that anyone who succeeds at their Wits+Occult roll can prod other people into trying again. Eventually they'll all succeed and not need to care about Arcane Fate.
On Infernal logic:
(4:22:38 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: So I did the only logical thing.
(4:22:49 PM) Nekomimi Maiden: I fell in love with the bad guy and twisted his spine into a pretzel

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

29 Jun 2012, 00:08

Wits + Integrity in 2e. For some reason.