Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 17: Gateway

22 Jan 2007, 13:04

Looking up at the great iron doors that barred the way to the Shogunate’s arsenal, Lodaris nodded slowly. “Interesting.” To his spiritual eye, the door was a maelstrom of colors, old bindings still holding strong despite the centuries. “No spirit or demon could gain access to this base, unless they were of phenomenal power.”

“Fortunately, that doesn’t include us.” With a smile, Steel reached outwards, grabbing one massive rusted ring, and began to pull. There was a straining sound, and he paused and frowned at the door. “Does it?”

“No.” Lodaris stepped forwards, taking the other ring, and began to pull, his muscles straining as the great door began to ponderously open. Steel stepped forwards to pull on the same handle, and the two gradually got the door opened enough to slip through. As soon as it had reached that length, Lodaris released the ring. “Better to have them come through one by one, if a battle is to result.”

Steel considered that a moment, and then nodded with a shrug. “Shall we?” Without waiting for a result, he turned to slide through the gap, into the base. Alina was just behind him, with Lodaris a few steps back. Jasmine hesitated at the threshold, and then cautiously stepped forwards; when the wards failed to stop her, she resumed motion, and the zombies filed in behind her.

Inside, it was dark, the interior shadowed and smelling of mold. With a thought, Alina let her castemark shine, illuminating the base, and she looked around with a frown. “This seems familiar, somehow…” The thought slipped out, and Lodaris gave her an odd look.

“That seems unlikely.” Steel was walking forwards, looking at a massive rockfall cutting off a side corridor curiously. “Shogunate base, remember? Unless you were a Dragon-Blood in a past life.” He looked back at her. “Were you?”

“Don’t be absurd.” Jasmine’s voice was curt, as she scanned the area. The vast chamber that had been the main Shogunate armoury was torn and tattered, the victim of tremendous damage. She stepped forwards and knelt by an old skeleton. “There was a battle here, it seems.”

“Yeah, no kidding.” Steel had wandered over to a rack, and poked at a row of thick pikes. “Force pikes. Totally ruined, though. Real shame.”

“Hm.” Lodaris stepped over to one wall, and studied what appeared to have been Essence cannons. Picking one up, he hefted it experimentally, only to sigh as he realized that it, too, was ruined. “A battle indeed. And a great one. Look at the acid scoring, everywhere.” He frowned, realizing that the light from Alina’s castemark was moving away. “Alina?”

Without answering, Alina drifted further down the great hall, past a row of silent figures. Following her, Steel paused to look at them. “Holy void, brass legionnaires. They look functional, too. Anyone see the command codes around? Sunny, maybe your fancy second sight could give us a clue… Alina?” He frowned. “Hey! Creation to Alina, you are wanted!”

“It was sealed…” Her voice was faint. “We fought to the heart, desperate to live. Maxas pressed it beyond time.”

“Huh?” Steel stepped up, touching her shoulder. She jumped, and spun around. For a moment, her eyes were unfocused, but then she blinked. “You okay?”

“Yes.” Alina knelt, touching the floor. “This room predates the armoury. I remember it, from the Usurpation. This is where I died.”

“Well, that makes one of us. I don’t remember squat.” Steel looked around. “Everything here looks Shogunate. What was so… hang on.” He pointed in the direction that Alina had been walking. “Is that a door?”

The archway was dark, and towered eight feet tall. To the eye, it seemed to go only a few inches into the wall, but the ground in front of it was scorched and torn, a gouge carved inches into the unyielding stone. Around the edge of the archway were blasphemous sigils, each evoking a feeling of horror just to look at, looking as though they had bled from the rock of the wall. Even Steel found himself speaking lower, as though afraid to wake it. “What does it say?”

“I open with a touch, and close with a word. The glory of the endless sea is yours for the taking.” Alina’s voice was soft, and Lodaris nodded.

“It is Old Realm, but the lettering is done… wrong. Oddly.” He frowned. “What is this place?”

“It is wrong. It is abomination.” Alina looked to the others. “I don’t remember what is there, but I know that we were willing to die rather than have it be opened. This is what the Lintha want.”

“Great. But what IS it?” Steel stepped forwards. “Don’t suppose you remember the word to close it. We could take a peek…”

“NO!” Alina almost screamed the answer, before recovering her composure. “It’s too dangerous, Steel. We can’t.”

“I am not concerned with us.” Jasmine pointed towards the entrance. “They are coming.” Her zombies began to take up a formation near the door, ready to fight. “We must prepare for battle.” Stretching her arms, she began to chant, and darkness gathered around her. Alina, Lodaris, and Steel each took up combat stances, and Lodaris let flames start to flicker around him.

“Dibs on the first beastman through the door.” Steel grinned, looking at the doors, his sais out and ready to attack. “One by one, we’ve got things covered.”

Abruptly, the lefthand door buckled inwards. With the sound of groaning metal, two pairs of shining silver claws burst through, tightening around the reinforced metal. The sound as the door gave way was like a demon screaming in agony, and the group watched in shock as the ten-foot door was torn from its hinges and flung into the room. Zombies, caught by the force of it, were scattered like pine needles, and the gap was left wide for the beastman crew to step through.

At their head was a monstrosity the likes of which Alina had never seen. Seven feet tall, and barely recognizable as female, she was a scaled cross between a barracuda and a fish, her green skin fading to black hair, and her snout filled with rows of razor-sharp teeth. Her tattoos pulsed in the darkness, casting light and shadows across her body, and her sharkskin armour stretched and strained as she moved.. She cracked her claws and bared her teeth, and when she spoke her voice echoed through the hall.

“I have come for this place. Step aside, or die where you stand.”

Alina raised her chakram before her. Steel stepped forwards and gave his sais a twirl. Lodaris crossed his swords in a combat position, and Jasmine disgorged her first dark shadow. It was Alina who spoke. “You will not open this gate while we draw breath.”

“That will be remedied, then.” With a gesture, the Lunar leapt forwards, and her crew charged with a roar.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 17: Gateway

22 Jan 2007, 17:21

Friv wrote:
cross between a barracuda and a fish...

Did you mean barracuda and shark, on account of her totem and teeth?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

22 Jan 2007, 18:54

Dinosaur wrote:
Friv wrote:
cross between a barracuda and a fish...

Did you mean barracuda and shark, on account of her totem and teeth?

I am tired, but no. Her teeth are the barracuda-style ones. I have to sit back and try to figure out what I meant, and then edit it in.

Sort of a fish-fish-person cross.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

22 Jan 2007, 20:06

Friv wrote:

I am tired, but no. Her teeth are the barracuda-style ones. I have to sit back and try to figure out what I meant, and then edit it in.

Sort of a fish-fish-person cross.

Well, perfect defense against canon applies (her teeth are noted as being shark-like, if you're still going by canon).

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

22 Jan 2007, 21:26

So, based on the inscription on the gate, it looks like the Lintha are either going to release Kimberry or Yog-Sothoth into Creation.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

22 Jan 2007, 21:40

BrilliantRain wrote:
So, based on the inscription on the gate, it looks like the Lintha are either going to release Kimberry or Yog-Sothoth into Creation.

My vote's on Yog-Sothoth.

Friv...man, you continue to surprise and delight me.

Great story.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

The Hoverpope
Essence 1
Essence 1
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

22 Jan 2007, 23:07

Hmm. Yog-Sothoth does know the gate, and Yog-Sothoth is the gate; logically, therefore, it must be Yoggi.
Third Circle Soul of the great lord of Apathy.
My wiki page - almost free of bears (But not quite)