Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

2. In Which Faiths Collide

01 Feb 2007, 15:34

In R.Y. 70, the Realm came to the East. They came at the head of an army, determined to pacify the region and bring it under the sway of their own goals and dreams.

One legion patrol, led by three Immaculate monks, found itself traveling into a valley called “Hazelburn”. When the priests inquired as to Hazelburn’s status in the war, they were told it was neutral. When they inquired about religion, they were politely told that Hazelburn already had a god, and he was quite effective, thank you.

The Immaculate priest, Pavan Lightning-On-Water, was annoyed, but they had seen evidence of this before. In general, it was both better and safer to confront such gods directly, rather than trying to sway the populace. When he asked where the god’s temple was, however, he was told that there was none. The god simply resided in his home, on the hill. He was told that one could only reach it by traveling clockwise up the gray-stone path, and he shook his head at the arrogance of these gods. Taking his two fellows with him, he traveled up the road to confront this selfish deity.

From atop the hill, the being watched him come. In the seventy years that he had been living in Creation, he had taken a name – Alakazar, The God Who Walks. He rather thought that it suited him. Considering the strange priests approaching, he prepared his throne room to meet them, pushing its ceiling up to join with the sky and filling it with a hundred pleasant breezes and scents that he had discovered over the last few decades. Scents were his current amusement, and he decided to test a few new ones for his guests. Normally, he did not bother with this room, but he felt it would be more suitable to encounter these priests in a grand environment than in a simple study, and this pocket of Home-That-Was-Not was still very amenable to his desires. He had forged his freehold here, and he shifted it to better meet those that he did not yet know were friends or enemies.

Indeed, the three Shaped were most impressed when they entered, looking around through the translucent walls, each showing a different angle of his nation, to Alakazar on his throne. He imagined himself through their eyes, and smiled. Standing over six feet tall, his features perfectly formed as though carved from marble, with his long blue hair pulled back over his ears to cascade from its careful knot down his back, across his slate-gray cloak and blue-gray armour, he was the very image of the king of storms, surveying his domain from on high. He considered the three in return – it was as though they wanted to seem interchangeable, each carefully shaved and wearing identical white robes, although he caught the glint of jade beneath them, and saw the half-hidden razor claws and chakrams hidden by the two in the rear. He let a smile cross his features, like the sun breaking through the clouds – he had found that this usually put mortals at ease. “How may I help you, Exalts?”

“We have heard that you are demanding worship of these people. This is not the proper path of Heaven.” The priest’s words were blunt and to the point, and Alakazar felt his brow wrinkle. It was a sensation he was quite used to, by now, having lived among these mortals for so long.”

“Is it?” He considered that for a moment, and then shrugged. “Well, that is no concern of mine. I like these people, and intend to remain here. Thank you for your time.”

There was a short, surprised pause, and then the lead priest spoke again, more carefully. “I don’t think that you understand, Skylord. Mortals should strive to emulate the Immaculate Dragons. You will cease this false worship. In return, proper worship will be integrated into the rites of this region, and we will ensure that they are distributed in a fair manner.”

Alakazar considered that for a moment. “No, I think I will continue as I have been. If your Dragons find this unappealing, they are free to discuss it with me.”

This time, the pause passed through surprise and into horror. The lead priest took a good five seconds to find his voice, and Alakazar was amused to note the disbelief and rage that flickered across his features. His soul burned strong, and only flared higher with his next words. “You seem to think that this is an option you are being given. It is not.” He straightened, shifting into a combative posture. “We have fought rogue gods before, Lord Alakazar.”

“I think that you have never fought one quite like I.” Alakazar, still amused, reached out and defined the Story. He saw in his mind’s eye these Dragonlings humbled, admitting their mistakes and prostrating themselves before him, as the chamber and land moved to show his absolute dominance. The Dragon-Blooded felt the change, and fought it subconsciously, as the walls began to shake and thunder flashed down from the heavens. “Let me be clear. There is no place for the Dragons in my domain.”

“Then so be it.” The lead priest gestured, and his subordinates, still trying to resist the Story that had been defined, leapt into action. Weapons flashed, waters roared, and the winds howled in the face of their great charge. Were they in Creation, they might even have posed a threat to the God Who Walks.

However, they were in his domain, hobbled already by the world he had chosen. It was a very short battle.

Tossing a razor claw to skitter across the floor, Alakazam looked down at the three Exalts. Now, defeated, they lay sprawled across the ground. It was not quite the story he had chosen, but it would do. Leaning down, bringing his mouth close to the ear of the lead priest, he whispered. “Go now. Tell them that this valley has nothing of interest to the Children of the Dragon. Your fire burns bright, but let it burn… elsewhere.” He patted the Dragon-Blood on the head and gestured; the winds hoisted the three priests to their feet and hustled them unceremoniously from the hilltop. The God walked as they tumbled down, coming to a stop near the base of the hill. Gesturing, he sent a zephyr to ensure that nothing too serious had been broken; even the Dragon-Blooded could be distressingly frail, and he had no wish to slay such potent dreams as theirs.

Still, he knew that there might be more later, threats that he could not so easily destroy. And his Gossamer stores were weakened, and fading. Steps would have to be taken if his people were to be safe.

It took three tries to explain to the mayor of Hazelburn what he wished for; the concept of someone being owned-and-free was one that did not translate easily into the simple tongue of the local people. It certainly wasn’t a slave, after all, and he didn’t think that priest quite covered it either. Still, he thought that he’d gotten the point across eventually, and the mayor assured him that only willing Shaped would come.

He thought it might be interesting to have wives.
Last edited by Friv on 01 Feb 2007, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Sleep-fu
Artifact: Fluffy Bed of Sleep +10

01 Feb 2007, 15:39

*snerks*

oh dear... wives?
Help mother earth by joining VHEMT.
It's the humane answer to what we've done to the world.

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Retired Fanatic
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Relentless assault
Artifact: Lunatic Fang - the Moonsilver Anyweapon

Re: 1. In Which Faiths Collide

01 Feb 2007, 15:48

Friv wrote:
It took three tries to explain to the mayor of Hazelburn what he wished for; the concept of someone being owned-and-free was one that did not translate easily into the simple tongue of the local people. It certainly wasn’t a slave, after all, and he didn’t think that priest quite covered it either. Still, he thought that he’d gotten the point across eventually, and the mayor assured him that only willing Shaped would come.

He thought it might be interesting to have wives.

Owned-but-free, neither slave nor priest. Yeah, spouse seems about right.

But my Fairfolk-Fu is weak. What does he plan to do with mortal women? The traditional soul-feeding?
Do not confuse the inexcusable for the unforgivable. If a crime can be excused, then there was nothing to forgive in the first place. It is only when a crime is inexcusable that forgiveness is even an issue. And at that point, forgive. Forgive, if only because it sets you free. Bitterness never produced anything sweet.

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7

01 Feb 2007, 15:52

He intends to feed off their intense emotions and dreams and make lots of glossamer!

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6

01 Feb 2007, 16:09

Haku wrote:
He intends to feed off their intense emotions and dreams and make lots of glossamer!

Yeah, but are we talking about in a good or bad way?
Do not confuse the inexcusable for the unforgivable. If a crime can be excused, then there was nothing to forgive in the first place. It is only when a crime is inexcusable that forgiveness is even an issue. And at that point, forgive. Forgive, if only because it sets you free. Bitterness never produced anything sweet.

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7

01 Feb 2007, 16:26

It's always in a... good way... ^_-

Why the text doesn't even state that the humans would be FED on like the other way.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

01 Feb 2007, 16:57

It is also possible that he wishes to produce an army of Changlings. I really don't see why he needs wives if he needs to feed off humans. The entire village would probably be glad to give him the power that he needs, as long as it wasn't too frequent.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

QuicksilverFox85
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Borgstromancer
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: All-Consuming God-Monster Stance
Artifact: Flame of the Untamed Wyld [Razor Claws]

01 Feb 2007, 18:53

Loving it! ^.^
Catch you on the flip side...

^_^ QuicksilverFox85
Your friendly neighborhood Latin nerd

"Breakthrough in Borgstromancy - Nobilis Now More Than 10% Understood!
'I Think It's About Flowers,' Local Expert Says" - Axiomatic, rpg.net forums

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6

01 Feb 2007, 19:21

BrilliantRain wrote:
It is also possible that he wishes to produce an army of Changlings.

Unless he plans to bend time through Shaping, any copulation now will not produce Half-Fae old enough to fight Dragon-Blooded and their soldiers.

Also, having a lot of Half-Fae would only exasperbate his problem of low energy reserves, as it produces more competition for resources.

I really don't see why he needs wives if he needs to feed off humans.

Because he seems to give a damn about fitting in and living symbiotically with Creation, as if he were a natural creature of it. It is very natural and productive for beings to have mates. Thus, wives.

The entire village would probably be glad to give him the power that he needs, as long as it wasn't too frequent.

It is a puzzle, but I suppose it wants it to be more meaningful, and thus wants special somebodies to form energy-providing relationships with.

Or this is all a face hiding a monster underneath -- a monster who doesn't mind devouring the souls of a few unseen chosen ones. But while I keep this possibility clearly in mind, I'm getting vibes that contradict this theory.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

01 Feb 2007, 19:32

Well he presumably has the Cult BG to provide him with essence, so it's possible he doesn't want to mess with that dynamic by feeding off of them.

It still seems kind of odd though. I suppose it could just be my connection to Autochthon (ALL HAIL!) causing static in my attempts to understand these creatures of chaos

Mod Text is in Green

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6

01 Feb 2007, 20:14

BrilliantRain wrote:
I suppose it could just be my connection to Autochthon (ALL HAIL!) causing static in my attempts to understand these creatures of chaos

I'm personally inclined to destroy them all. Maybe when or if a character of mine acquired a way to convert them into normal mortals of Creation, I might prefer to use that method instead, but destruction seems like an immediately effective solution.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

01 Feb 2007, 21:37

Tornado Wolf wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:
I suppose it could just be my connection to Autochthon (ALL HAIL!) causing static in my attempts to understand these creatures of chaos

I'm personally inclined to destroy them all. Maybe when or if a character of mine acquired a way to convert them into normal mortals of Creation, I might prefer to use that method instead, but destruction seems like an immediately effective solution.

I can help with that. One of our Protocols allows us to turn Fae into Mountain Folk Eggs. If you want to join up with Autochthon, I can hook you up...

Mod Text is in Green

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

01 Feb 2007, 21:43

Something to remember is that, even after seventy years, this Fair Folk doesn't really understand how Creation works.

How much? Well, the next few sequences should make it clear...
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6

01 Feb 2007, 22:30

BrilliantRain wrote:
I can help with that. One of our Protocols allows us to turn Fae into Mountain Folk Eggs. If you want to join up with Autochthon, I can hook you up...

And give you the interaction time necessary to tempt me into Alchemization and the sweet, sweet powers that Moonsilver Casting would give my Lunar Exaltation, all so that I could serve your steel and glass god with overwhelming, protean, technomagical might as a veritable Mecha-Ghidora worshiped by the ignorant masses and feared by all other demigods!?

*pant, pant; wipes off drool*

Perish the thought.

...Well, maybe. If Autochthon actually got serious about his health and stopped with the cigarettes. I hate smoking, and he's got an entire Element Pole of lung cancer!

I hate alcohol too, but an Elemental Pole of Booze would be more tolerable. (And it would make Autochthonia a MUCH more interesting place.)

More seriously, flooding the Imperial Mountain's guts with Mountain Folk sounds like it might get out of hand. Unless the new ones aren't bound by the Geas. Which could lead to even uglier things.

Still, it sounds like one of the better ideas for handling the Fair Folk.