Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

5. In Which Our Hero Has A Revelation

06 Feb 2007, 13:41

Dinner was a surprisingly pleasant affair. When Serafin had entered the main dining room, she had found it to contain a great table over fifty feet across, and had, for a moment, imagined that she would be eating as in a comedy play, with the actors seated on far ends of the stage, calling out conversation to one another. She was thus pleasantly surprised when the zephyrs steered her to a side seat, sitting just to the right of the table’s head, and pulled out a chair. The strange little creatures, not quite visible but clearly present, bustled about for a few moments before Lord Alakazar arrived, then absented themselves, appearing only to bring in a dish and depart again.

Alakazar himself was pleasant and refined, but there was an odd undertone to their conversations. Serafin thought that it was as though he was courting her, rather than acting with the familiarity she would have associated with a husband – or even a fiancée. She supposed it made sense, given that this was only their second meeting, but it was still odd. Flicker gamboled around the stone floor, pausing occasionally to look up at her knowingly, and she sighed and dropped him scraps of meat, which he pounced on readily. The little cat seemed normal enough, aside from a strange habit of appearing from nowhere and vanishing again – but then, he was a cat.

As they lingered over dessert – an exquisite iced fruit that seemed like a cross between a pineapple and a pomegranate, discussing the affairs of town that had been passed along, she remembered what her main concern had been, before coming to dinner, and tensed slightly. She thought that she had hidden it well, but Alakazar noticed instantly. “Is something wrong, my dear?”

“No, of course not. Everything is magnificent.” Serafin paused, again. “I just… I was wondering something.” Alakazar was watching her curiously, now, and she suddenly realized that she wasn’t sure how to proceed. She had brought the matter up with Maya, hoping the eldest wife might be able to help her, but Maya had simply shrugged and suggested that gods would be gods, and there was no sense worrying about it.

After it became clear that she was struggling for words, Alakazar frowned slightly. “Anything you wish to ask, Serafin, you may.”

“Well… it’s just… it’s about…” Serafin stumbled for a word to choose. “Wifely duties.”

There was a short pause. “Wifely duties.” Alakazar’s echoing statement was carefully neutral.

“Yes. If we are going to – if you want to – um…” She trailed off, blushing fiercely.

When Alakazar spoke, he sounded faintly confused. “Well, the servants handle the cleaning, and I hardly need anyone to fight on my behalf. The honor of your presence in my castle is gift enough…”

“No!” She looked up, certain that he was making a jest at her expense, only to see him watching her blankly, for the first time bemused entirely out of a polite demeanor. “I mean… making children… with… uh…” She was sure that her hair would burst into flame, she was blushing so strongly. It wasn’t supposed to be that hard to discuss with your husband, was it? But then, he was practically a stranger. And a god.

“Children?” He considered this a moment. “Do you think that would help?”

This time it was her turn to stare blankly. “My lord?”

“My wives have been a bit distracted, of late. Is this why? Do they want children?”

“Well, I don’t know, I just…” There was a suspicion gnawing at her, but she was so far past comfortable with the questions she’d asked that it took her a moment to voice it. “How do you make children, my Lord?”

Alakazar raised an eyebrow. “Well, were I to have the ability, I would spin them from the infinite possibilities, drawing together Essence into a perfect Heart. I don’t have that skill, though, as of yet. I am still limited to such small children as the zephyrs, who hardly count.”

“Mm.” She paused again. It was a chance to retreat, and she almost took it, but something compelled her to continue. Perhaps it was his expression, still not certain, or just a perverse need to understand him better. “And you know how humans do it?”

“Of course!” He grew angry, for a moment, before continuing, but he didn’t sound entirely sure when he spoke. “Human women grow them. Like fruit.” He paused, before speaking again. “Do they need my permission?”

For a moment, she was speechless. “Uh… they would need your participation.”

He stared at her again. Mustering what she knew about sexual interaction from the talks some of the other girls had given her, she tried to explain the act to him. It took her a few tries, and he made her stop and go back more than once to explain a subsection that he found particularly interesting, with no connection to how relevant it was that she could tell. Finally, though, she had the concept explained to his satisfaction, and he sat back thoughtfully.

“So… they’ve been confused because I haven’t been doing any of that.”

“Or showing interest in it. To be honest, I don’t know that they’re upset, exactly. It’s just… odd.”

“Mm.” He considered his plate for a few moments, in silence. “I’m not even certain that it’s possible. Intimacy for reproduction, what an odd concept.”

“How do gods do it?” She spoke without thinking, but he didn’t frown. He just spoke distantly.

“As a war.”

She stared at him in confusion, as he continued to speak. She wasn’t sure that he was even aware of her presence. “We experience intimacy in a million ways, in a million times and places and manners, which such heights of ecstasy as this world could not imagine. And yet we have never mastered such a simple thing as to join for honest joy, for true hope for the future. It is such a human conceit.”

Impulsively, she reached out and took his hand. He looked down at hers like a foreign thing, before shifting his grip to hold her hand in return. “I think I prefer you being here.”

“So do I.” The response was almost wondering, as though he had not known what he would say until he said it. But he smiled, and nodded, and looked around the room. “Yes, so do I.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Sleep-fu
Artifact: Fluffy Bed of Sleep +10

06 Feb 2007, 13:51

*blinks*

*blinks*

*laughs*

That certainly is amusing.
Help mother earth by joining VHEMT.
It's the humane answer to what we've done to the world.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

06 Feb 2007, 16:41

Explaining Sex to a Fair One. Oy.

On the other hand, he doesn't appear to be dining on them. He is a unique one. I wonder if he will be trying it out soon?

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

06 Feb 2007, 17:21

BrilliantRain wrote:
Explaining Sex to a Fair One. Oy.

On the other hand, he doesn't appear to be dining on them. He is a unique one. I wonder if he will be trying it out soon?

Oh, he uses Banquet of Crumbs fairly constantly. But yeah, he hasn't really used Ravishing The Created Form in any real way. There will be discussion on that later. :twisted:

Suzume
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Disturbed
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: What[comma] now[question mark]
Artifact: Yo[apostrophe] mama[excl point]

07 Feb 2007, 00:16

Friv wrote:
Oh, he uses Banquet of Crumbs fairly constantly. But yeah, he hasn't really used Ravishing The Created Form in any real way.

One needn't, after all. "There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,/And every single one of them is right!" :)

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

08 Feb 2007, 13:03

Friv, you are the man.

You know this, of course, but it bears repeating.

Your Faerie is fascinating. I've always wanted to write a Faerie but couldn't think of how to do it without (A) sucking at it and (B) staying true to the Fair Folk book. This Faerie seems pretty believable, manages to be interesting, even nice. And yet he's still Faerie.

Excellent.

The human counterpoints are a good move, I think. It helps that Serafin is an easy character to relate to. Oddness is best illustrated in its reaction to/from normality. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

08 Feb 2007, 14:35

fallstavia wrote:
Friv, you are the man.

You know this, of course, but it bears repeating.

Your Faerie is fascinating. I've always wanted to write a Faerie but couldn't think of how to do it without (A) sucking at it and (B) staying true to the Fair Folk book. This Faerie seems pretty believable, manages to be interesting, even nice. And yet he's still Faerie.

Excellent.

The human counterpoints are a good move, I think. It helps that Serafin is an easy character to relate to. Oddness is best illustrated in its reaction to/from normality. :)

The irony is that Serafin was the character I first designed. The Fair Folk was almost an afterthought, he just took control of my brain and forced me to write the first two parts about just him.

Silly Fair Folk, Shaping their own authors.

Sadly, though, I've only got (I think) two more parts to this before I shift over back to Dynasty's Shadowed Light. I have a suspicion that no one's going to guess where this particular storyline is heading. :twisted: