Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 3

13 Feb 2007, 12:13

And back to the politics. And to the folk who haven't appeared very much in my serials to date - Sidereals! Let's see what the would-be masters of Creation are up to, shall we?

-----

"Tepet Fokuf.” Chejop Kejak considered the report in front of him for a moment, letting silence settle around him like a mantle, before looking up at the two members of the Convention of Earth that stood before him. The three were sitting in his office in Yu-Shan, in the Manse of Forbidding Ivy, after he had called his two subordinates earlier in the day. “Your reasons?”

Harakken Cyrus, Chosen of Serenity and one of Kejak’s old friends, gestured to the report. His impeccable blue robes hung around him in a scintillating aura, a thousand shades of cerulean and azure that sparkled as though all the stars hung about his shoulders, and his tight black hair pulled up in a topknot above his head. “He’s a logical choice. First, he’s mortal, which means that we don’t have to worry about having an elder keep him in rein. Secondly, he has no major enemies, and few minor ones. Smoothing his passage onto the throne will be simple; we may not even need to affect fate to do it, as his presence will be marginal. It buys us time to find a true successor – or to locate the Empress.” Kejak let the half-inquiring sally pass without comment, and Cyrus continued with an almost-imperceptible sigh. “Finally, he’s malleable. We can focus our efforts on the House leaders, who would be scheming against a more aggressive Regent, without having to watch our backs.”

“But you disagree.” It was not a question, but not Cathak Damian nodded regardless. He always felt incredibly nervous around the leader of the Convention, given the massive age gap between Kejak and himself. As Cyrus was fond of reminding him, Davian had yet to see eight centuries of life, and his ability to enter the presence of his elders was based almost entirely on his familial connections to the throne, and he felt badly underdressed – wearing only the red tunic and black breeches that he had been clad in when he had been called, having had to use the best of his Charms just to reach the meeting on time, and already off-balance. Something he suspected that Cyrus had arranged deliberately to support his own position, although the elder Sidereal was far too smooth to suggest such a thing himself. Davian knew how outclassed he was in direct social confrontation with his superiors, and rarely argued with the elder Bronze Sidereals, but this time he felt the need.

“Yes, sir. Fokuf is not merely malleable. Every indication is that he is dangerously prone to depressive behaviour, and lacking in many of the basic defenses that he would need as Regent. If anyone chose to remove him, they would not have a problem, and we would be even worse off than before.”

“And you don’t want to be responsible for the loss of a Regent.” Kejak’s tone was understanding, but Damian felt himself shrivel at the unspoken reminder – and rebuke – that was implicit therein. “Your concern is noted, and understood, Davian, but I tend to agree with Cyrus. Fokuf is the best of a very small pool of options, as a regent who will not try to take power for himself.” He leaned forwards in his desk, fixing the other two with his gaze. “We need time. The plans of the Empress and the returning Solars are throwing everything into chaos, and Mnemon does not intend to give us a chance to keep control of the Realm. As soon as she confirms that the Empress is gone, she will move. She’s already started. And we cannot have her take the throne.” He sighed, sitting back. “Damian, I know how busy you are managing House Cathak, but I’m going to have to ask you to keep an eye on the Regent as well. I agree with your concerns – we can’t afford to lose him if we don’t have a replacement groomed.” Damian nodded uncertainly, and Kejak turned his attention to Cyrus. “Cyrus, the Inner Circle is meeting tonight to discuss the issue of the resurging Gold Faction. I hope to see you there.”

“Of course, my friend.” Cyrus inclined his head, and then stood to go. “Come, Damian. We have some work to do making sure that all of Fokuf’s protections are in order.”

Damian stood, bowing to Kejak, and turned to leave his spartan office. Inwardly, he fumed. Another mission to occupy time that was already stretched thin, because Kejak did not consider his time important enough to waste on a mortal. He knew that his purpose was to protect others, but he was stretched thin as it was. Watching the affairs of an entire Great House, repairing pattern damage across a swath of the Blessed Isle, and keeping an eye out for signs of Solar or Lunar meddling was taking up most of his time, and he couldn’t remember the last time that he’d simply sat back and enjoyed a good party. He hadn’t even visited Yu-Shan, except on business, in the last three months.

On the other hand, this could be an advantage. Damian was worried about the soon-to-be Regent. During his research, he had taken a liking to the man, even if Fokuf was unlikely to have even realized that he was being watched. The man was affable and easygoing, and throwing him to the Dynastic sharks left a sour taste in Damian’s mouth. He resolved to place as powerful an astrology as he could manage on the Regent – and if anyone complained, he would just tell them that Kejak himself had requested it. It was technically true, and the leader of the Sidereals was unlikely to argue that Damian was doing his job too well.

Cyrus nodded to Damian as their paths branched, heading towards the more bustling areas of the department. Damian hardly noticed, already drawing up the astrology that he wanted in his mind. Protections like this would not be easy…
Last edited by Friv on 19 Feb 2007, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

13 Feb 2007, 13:04

This makes me happy, Friv.

I always appreciate when people have the courage to write signature characters and the skill to write them well.

Two thumbs up.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Delamerik
Essence 5
Essence 5
Exalt: Sidereal

13 Feb 2007, 13:53

Heck, add my thumbs in there. Awesome.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

13 Feb 2007, 17:04

You may have my thumbs as well. I love seeing sidereals shoot themselves in the feet.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

13 Feb 2007, 17:23

(Turns into a koala and gives four thumbs up)

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

13 Feb 2007, 17:37

BrilliantRain wrote:
You may have my thumbs as well. I love seeing sidereals shoot themselves in the feet.

Then I can almost guarantee that you'll be happy with The Dynasty's Shadowed Light as it continues.

:twisted:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".