Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

14. In Which Mercury Takes A Hand

23 Mar 2007, 14:58

As usual, the presence of new people at Alakazar’s court led to a shifting of alliances and relationships, but it soon settled back into a pattern that Serafin was long since familiar with. Fiona, delighted at having another noble around to spend attention on, spent most of her time encouraging both Gwydion and Ailil’s affections, resulting in a number of arguments and duels between the two. Eiluned, meanwhile, stayed mostly silent and aloof, but Serafin noticed that she ‘happened’ to appear near Gwydion with suspicious regularity, and knew that a new thread was entering that story. Varich, for his part, continued his tradition of moping quietly around the edges of the holding, wearing his grief like a badge of honour.

The only real difference was Millia. Serafin had grown used to spending most of her time living with the fae; as Alakazar’s first wives had aged and died, he had used his growing court to take up their duties, and although he often visited the town below, he did not take wives as he once had. He had remarked wryly that Serafin was more than enough for any one man when one of the servants asked about it. The Crimson Knights were human, but were as touched by the Wyld as Serafin herself, if not more so, and instinctively understood the patterns of story that shaped the freehold. Millia did not, and her innocent questions helped Serafin ground herself back in the world, while remaining a part of the stories she had found. As the child blossomed into a beautiful young lady, turning heads in town, Serafin found herself settling into the role of mother to her, keeping charge of her and helping her where she could.

One morning, three years after Millia had first come to the freehold, she failed to come down for dinner. Walking upstairs to her rooms, Serafin knocked lightly.

“Come in.” It sounded distracted, and the Lunar raised an eyebrow, pushing the door open.

The room was glowing yellow.

That was her first thought. A moment later, however, she identified the source. “Millia?”

“Gwydion’s going to leave.” The words were half-spoken, half-murmured. “Not forever, though. He should have left a year ago, but he’s waiting for something to push him out. It won’t be good, because Fiona’s going to go with him, and Ailil will be very upset. He’ll need to find someone to balance it out.” She was sitting at the table in the corner of the room, her quill dancing across the paper. “I couldn’t figure it out; it just felt like everything was waiting for a trigger – and I was sitting, and looking, and I just couldn’t get it. Where’s Varich?”

“Um. I don’t know. He went out.”

“That’s it, then. Gwydion will quest for him.” Millia turned, blinking, and Serafin saw the stars in her eyes. “Oh! Serafin, I didn’t realize it was you. I was just thinking out loud…”

Serafin forced a smile onto her face, and nodded. “Thinking very interestingly, I might add.”

“About?” Alakazar swept into the room, and raised one eyebrow.

“Well, I…” Now coming out of her thoughts, Millia looked down and yelped. A moment later, she was staring around the room. “What… I…” She paused. “This made sense a moment ago. Everything made sense…”

“It’s alright, I’ve seen this before.” Alakazar nodded thoughtfully. “Is it something about me, do you wonder?” He shook his head. “I forget myself. Millia, Serafin, there is a man here to see you. Thetram Nash. I don’t believe he is comfortable here.”

“How convenient.” Serafin’s eyes narrowed. “Millia, do you know what’s happening?”

“It’s starting to make sense. Memories are lining up, anyway.” Millia looked around, as the yellow glow died. “I’m like you, aren’t I? An Exalt?”

“Mostly like me.” Serafin tried to keep a smile affixed, and reached forwards to ruffle the girl’s hair. “Looks like you’re a Sidereal, kid. Chosen of Fate.”

“And that’s bad.”

“What? No.” The laugh seemed forced. “Just… different, that’s all.” Serafin paused. “Very different. And I bet Nash knew it was coming. According to my teachers, the Sidereals are ready to sweep down almost before the Exaltation happens. Let’s have a chat with him, shall we?”

“Okay…” Millia frowned thoughtfully. “Are you going to beat him up?”

“No, of course not.” There was a pause. “Well, probably not.” Alakazar and Millia both looked at her levelly. “What?”

“You have that look. The Mother Bear look.” Millia smiled. “You know, like when Kameron Thatcher almost got violent last year.” She stared at her adoptive mother. “Did they do something wrong?”

“I don’t know.” Serafin shook her head. “It’s probably nothing. Come on. We’d better see if I’m right about who he is.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

23 Mar 2007, 15:21

Now's the part where Serafin and Alakazar ominously polish and comment on weaponry before eating dinner with the Sidereal. <^_^>

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

26 Mar 2007, 14:21

I love these two. And the new characters take the story in a rather different direction. Although a Silver Court idea is pretty novel anyway.

I keep thinking you'd be a fun ST, Friv. Let me know if you ever run something. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

29 Mar 2007, 19:26

fallstavia wrote:
I love these two. And the new characters take the story in a rather different direction. Although a Silver Court idea is pretty novel anyway.

I keep thinking you'd be a fun ST, Friv. Let me know if you ever run something. :)

Well, I'm running Dragons of Earth and Sky on Thursday nights. If the other players are okay with it, and you're around, you could always join up (having another player would hopefully help our stability, frankly. ;) )
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".