Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 23: Heart-To-Heart

04 Apr 2007, 15:40

Citrios sat on the crest of the hill, looking down over Juriss harbour. Leaning forwards, he cupped his head in his hands and sighed softly.

“Hey, man. Don’t know what that thing with Alina was, but you have really put her on the warpath.” The voice came from behind him, and Citrios half-turned to look as Steel strolled up the hill holding a pair of mugs and a bottle. A vivid red mark was visible on his forehead, and Citrios raised an eyebrow.

“You must be Captain Steel.” Steel nodded, flopping down next to Citrios. “Are you alright?”

“Hm? Oh, fine. Alina just bounced a teapot off my forehead.” Steel offered a mug to Citrios, who accepted it, and set his own mug down next to him. “I’ve never seen her so assertive.”

“Hm.” Citrios sighed again, letting Steel pour cider into the mug, and then taking a deep swig of it. “Neither have I.”

“Yeah, I gathered.” Steel glanced over sympathetically. “Sorry your creepy fetishistic relationship didn’t work out.”

Citrios coughed on his cider. “Huh?”

“Oh, I’m not judging.” Steel took a swig of cider, holding his free hand up. “I mean, I’m literally dating a walking corpse. Would be a bit pot to kettle, wouldn’t it? Just offering my condolences.”

“I’m not in a creepy fetishistic relationship!”

“Well, no, not anymore. That’s the crux of the problem, isn’t it?”

Citrios sputtered. “I mean… I… I didn’t…” He paused, and gathered himself. “Just what are you implying?”

“I don’t imply things.” Steel took a sip of his cider, glancing sidelong at Citrios. “I just say them flat-out, generally in a highly tactless manner.”

Citrios’s eyes narrowed. “I was never in a ‘creepy relationship’.”

“Oh, no, of course not.” Steel laughed, but there wasn’t much humour in his voice. “I mean, there are plenty of perfectly healthy relationships that are founded on one member literally owning the other.” Before Citrios could reply, he pressed on. “I mean, it’s not as though she was taken from her family, her entire world, really, and given away to a man twice her age, sight unseen, from whom the best she could imagine hoping was that he wouldn’t abuse her very often. And to discover that he was willing to feed her scraps of dignity and respect from his table, well. It’s like a fairy tale about the scullery-maid and the prince. If the prince was in the habit of purchasing scullery maids. And if, instead of making them princesses later, he kept them as scullery maids forever.”

“Um.” Citrios raised a finger to protest, but found himself at a loss for words. Taking advantage, Steel pressed on.

“You’re right, though, not creepy at all. It’s not as though her entire existence was forcibly restructured to have you at the centre of it, without any consideration for whether she cared. Or – wait. Yes, it is. I always get those confused.” Steel took another swig of cider. “Under the circumstances, are you surprised that she developed a bit of forcible worship of the man who defined her life? I mean, it’s either love or hate them. Or both. And you were nice to the little slave girl, so love it is. And then you return it – ish. Oh, the stars in her eyes when she talks about you, friend.”

Citrios tried to gather himself. “I didn’t try to –”

“Oh, I know. That’s the tragic irony. You just pampered your little pet seer, and consoled yourself by thinking, Hey, I treat her well. A golden cage is totally different from an iron one, right? And she falls for you hard. So hard that when she Exalts, when she’s completely surrounded by people who would – and could – kill her in a heartbeat if they knew about her, does she run? No. You’re everything to her. Her world is completely meaningless without you, because there’s nothing else for her. So she stays. She risks her life every day just to be near you. The only thing that can finally drive her away is the need to act to save someone you care about more than your own life, and she can only do that because she’s losing you either way.” Steel stood up abruptly, looking down at Citrios, all traces of joviality gone. “And you go and start moping because she’s slipped out from under your thumb. Because even though she lived every moment of her life for you, she didn’t let you decide how.” Very deliberately, he set the bottle of cider on the ground.

Citrios stared at the mug numbly, looking up at Steel. “That wasn’t … I love her…”

“Do you? Do you even know who she is? Did you ever see her, or did you just see the starstruck little girl who would do anything for you?” Steel snorted, turning and stepping back down the path. “That’s something you need to decide. Did you ever love Alina, or did you just love having someone under your power, and feeling all warm and fuzzy that you didn’t abuse it? Maybe before you yell at her again, you should take a long, hard look at yourself.” Striding off, he called over his shoulder. “Feel free to finish the cider. It’s a good year.”

Citrios didn’t move from his seat for a long time. Finally, he reached for the bottle, disdaining the mug, and took a deep drink.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

04 Apr 2007, 15:58

Holy crap.

I don't think I'm capable of that level of critique.

That Steel is...disturbs me.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

04 Apr 2007, 16:02

"Welcome to Creation, what would you like?"

"A revelation, followed by a helping of scathing criticism about my position in society."

"Will that be all for now?"

"I'm not sure..."

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

04 Apr 2007, 16:14

Ouch. >.<
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 23: Heart-To-Heart

05 Apr 2007, 16:20

Friv wrote:
“I don’t imply things.” Steel took a sip of his cider, glancing sidelong at Citrios. “I just say them flat-out, generally in a highly tactless manner.”

Steel is one of my favorite characters, especially now that he put some points into intelligence.

And, really, if an ex-servant of the Lover tells you that you have a creepy relationship, then damn.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 23: Heart-To-Heart

06 Apr 2007, 10:44

BrilliantRain wrote:
Friv wrote:

Steel is one of my favorite characters, especially now that he put some points into intelligence.

And, really, if an ex-servant of the Lover tells you that you have a creepy relationship, then damn.

Ah, Steel has always had intelligence. He just also has a Manipulation + Socialize diepool of 1.

*grins*

But yeah, his little nasty rant there partially reflects my opinions of that entire genre of fiction - the "I Dream Of Jeanie" school. Seriously, if you stop to consider that show, it's profoundly creepy.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

06 Apr 2007, 10:58

You have a good point there sir.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?