Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

17. In Which A Maiden Meets Her Mother

17 Apr 2007, 19:02

The young man strolled through the marketplace, humming a jaunty tune under his breath. He slipped easily around the crowded stalls, his mind clearly elsewhere, pausing now and then to nod a greeting to someone whose path he crossed, or to offer a smile and a flirtatious comment to an attractive young woman. He glanced up at the sky, for a moment, then brushed hair from his eye and shifted direction.

His attention was drawn by an old woman, hunched over in front of a flowercart, and he chuckled softly. Shifting direction, he nodded to her as he approached. “Venerable madam, how much for a bouquet of those fine blue roses?” He pointed to where two samples of the stock shared space with a dozen other flowers.

The woman glanced over at him, and considered for a moment, tugging on her shawl thoughtfully. “Two bits each. If you want them, I’ve only two left.”

The man checked his purse, one eye still on the flowers. “I’m afraid I only have silver. Is that a problem?”

“Silver or jade, it makes no difference to me.” The woman waved a hand, breaking into a gap-toothed smile. “Come into the shop, and choose which one you would like.”

The two strolled into the shop, and the elderly woman turned and slid the lock of the door. As she turned, she straightened her back, and her shawl fell backwards, and she suddenly didn’t seem nearly so old, or weathered. Instead, she was a radiant young woman with long black hair, smoothing out her dress and shaking her head. “I don’t know, Mom. You always seem to find me first.”

“Well, I have the advantage.” Hair grew out and colour shifted as the young man stepped forwards. His face shortened, and his body shrunk inwards, as his chest grew out. Within moments, it was a very different young woman who caught the other into a hug. “Hello, Millia. How are you doing?”

Twice-Breathing Millia sighed dramatically, walking over to the small room’s stove and picking up the kettle. “About the same. The last few years have run me off my feet. You’re lucky to be your own master, Mom.”

Serafin laughed, taking a seat, as Millia returned with the tea. “Some own master. I’m running myself off my feet, too. Ever since the Empress vanished, it’s been nothing but work. Alakazar sends his regards, by the way. And Eiluned wants to know if you’ve heard anything from Scathach?”

“She still hasn’t come back?” Millia shook her head. “I can’t track the fae, Mom. You know that.”

“I do, dear, but Eiluned’s a little vague.” Taking a teacup in hand, Serafin took a deep sip. “We’ve all been very busy, though, that’s the important thing. Split five or ten ways trying to put out little brushfires. That’s why I’m here alone, by the way. How’s the Silver Faction treating you?”

Millia made a rude noise. “Thick as ever.” She sat across from her mother, setting her teacup down quickly. “They’re a lot like Eiluned – a little vague. They haven’t quite grasped that you can’t control Celestial Exalts, just work with them. But they’re nice enough sorts, for all that.” She chuckled. “All four of them. And the Bronze thinks I’m Bronze, and the Gold thinks I’m independent, so they mostly leave me alone.” She paused. “And send me after any fae that they suspect is causing trouble, hence why I’m here alone.”

“Mm. That was always the risk.” Serfain sipped thoughtfully.

“I know, I know. But I’m close to six hundred years old.” Millia sighed, sitting back. “There might be three hundred humans in the world older than me, and I still get treated like a child. Because compared to our elders, I am.”

“That’s also a risk.” Serfain chuckled. “My own elders are better about that, but I still get my fair share of ‘little one’ and ‘youngling’ tossed around.” She shrugged. “Worth it, though.”

“True.” There was a short paused. “And your dreams?”

“Still happening.” Serafin stared off into space. “They keep getting more frequent, too. They’re up to once a week now. An elemental dragon, the ‘Storm is coming’ line. I know that they want something, I just don’t know what. And what sort of storm takes seven hundred years to gather, anyway?” She frowned.

“A big one.” Millia was quiet for a moment, and then sighed. “Well, I still can’t find anything. I take it you’re here about that Elidath Bloodbane fae that’s been spotted around Greyfalls?”

“That’s the one. He’s up to something big; moving troops around like water. What do the Sidereals know about it?”

“Just that there have been some odd blips in fate around here for the last week or so.” Millia shook her head. “I’m going to start investigating tonight.”

“I’ll join you.” Serafin grinned. “It’ll give us a chance to catch up. Hey, you remember Thetram Nash?”

“How could I forget him?”

“He got his ass handed to him by a Lunar that’s not even a century old. Sirrim, you may remember my mentioning him?”

“The one in the North? The guy who tried to attack the Lover’s citadel a few decades back?”

“That’s the one.” Serafin and Millia fell to reminiscing. Later, there would be investigations and a hunt. For now, there was just a family reunion.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

17 Apr 2007, 21:44

Was Sesus Oramakos a bad person or has Serafin been a Lunar too long to care who occupied a body before she wanted it? It worries me when Lunars just walk around eating random people.

That said, the story is excellent as always.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

18 Apr 2007, 00:14

BrilliantRain wrote:
Was Sesus Oramakos a bad person or has Serafin been a Lunar too long to care who occupied a body before she wanted it? It worries me when Lunars just walk around eating random people.

That said, the story is excellent as always.

Oramakos is not the form that Serafin was just wearing; possibly should have included a few descriptors to make that more clear. Serafin was using a custom variant of Changing Plumage Mastery to alter her own appearance, rather than using a specific person's.

As to what's up with the Oramakos-eating, well... that will become clear within the next part or two. :twisted:

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

18 Apr 2007, 09:36

Ah! Well, that's ok then. I had been kinda wondering about the greenish-silver tattoos on the other one. But, yeah, I think you do need to make it a little more clear that we are transitioning from one Lunar to another here.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

20 Apr 2007, 07:01

I think I may need to wait until you're done, Friv, before I can fully track all the threads you're pulling together through all the different story lines.

This is a good thing, though. It makes me work at it and respecting the reader to make connections is a nice thing. So long as the writing supports it, which yours does.

That said: I wonder what either society would say of how their respective Sidereal/Lunar got along. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

02 May 2007, 15:00

fallstavia wrote:
I think I may need to wait until you're done, Friv, before I can fully track all the threads you're pulling together through all the different story lines.

This is a good thing, though. It makes me work at it and respecting the reader to make connections is a nice thing. So long as the writing supports it, which yours does.

That said: I wonder what either society would say of how their respective Sidereal/Lunar got along. :)

*grins* I had to write up the timeline of the thing just to get it straight in my head, so no worries. ;)

And the Silver Faction would be all "Yay, you have a Lunar ally! You're like the best Silver Faction Sidereal ever!"

And the Silver Pact would be "Geez, girl. Fair Folk AND a Sidereal? What the hell is wrong with you?"