Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

19. In Which Things Get Even More Complicated

26 Apr 2007, 10:58

Writer's block sucks. Just trying to push through it for now...

-----

“Well, I spoke with my superiors.” Twice-Breathing Millia glanced around the empty room, one of the side areas of the palace that they had chosen to hold their meeting in, close enough to Oramakos’s quarters that she could appoint a spirit to watch them and still be able to respond quickly. She and Serafin had briefly split up to try and draw support – fighting a Lunar akuma of unknown capabilities wasn’t high on her list of things she wanted to do. Her elders might consider her impulsive, but she did want to live to see another century.

“And?” Serafin leaned back in her seat, petting Flicker gently. The cat purred softly, curling into a tight ball in her lap.

“They’re very worried, and will send a Silver Faction representative over in about three days.” Millia rolled her eyes. “How about you?”

“Not much better. Grandfather Frost says to hell with the Realm, and am I really sure it’s a Lunar anyway. I don’t know very many other Lunars, and I couldn’t get in touch with them on this short notice. I’ve sent a message back to Alakazar, but he doesn’t have the kind of mobility he’d need to be here right away.” She sighed softly. “It appears that we’re on our own.”

“Alright, okay.” Millia nodded after a moment. “We can do that. Not like we’ve done it a dozen times before.” Serafin laughed, and the Sidereal continued. “We know that Oramakos is trying to get close to General Kitano, and that he can eat people and do it well. But the disguise can’t hold forever. So why the general?”

“The warstriders?” Millia looked up, surprised, and Serafin laughed again. “While you were consulting, I sent off my messages and did some snooping. Kitano’s gone and stolen four warstriders from the Realm.”

“That’s… not inconsiderable.” Millia considered. “But it seems too little. I mean, they’re really powerful, but how would he get them out of town? And sure, the General has access to the armory, but he can’t just deploy it…” She trailed off, and the two stared at each other in dawning worry.

“The armoury. The Fair Folk.” Serafin’s voice was faint.

“Would an akuma work with Fair Folk? Could he?”

“It’s possible.” Serafin stood abruptly. “He could use the confusion to kill Kitano and take his shape. That would open the armoury of Greyfalls to him.”

“And throw the city into chaos.” Millia nodded firmly. “Well, I’ve got the spy on him. As soon as he makes a move, we can jump him. Who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky and the Silver Faction will actually send that backup before –” She paused for a fraction of a second as Serafin’s eyes suddenly narrowed. The Lunar nodded, and Millia smoothly resumed talking as her mother slipped towards the door, soundlessly padding across the ground. She also slid through the stances of the Water Dragon Form, just to be safe. “–anything more dangerous happens. I mean, it’s not like they have anything better to do, right? They might as well…” Serafin pulled the door open as quickly as possible, and Millia stepped forwards towards the person crouching on the other side – and then stopped dead.

“Aha!” Cathak Tyr, momentarily ignoring Serafin, raised a finger at Millia triumphantly. “I know you, now! You were that scout! The one I couldn’t find!” His eyes narrowed. “Are you spending your time trying to ruin my life? And what the hell was –” Serafin grabbed him by the collar of his coat and pulled him into the room, shutting the door smoothly behind him. Tyr flailed for a moment before going still. “I don’t know who either of you are, but I left word about where I was going. If you…”

“We’re not going to hurt you.” Millia shook her head disgustedly. “Great. Masters of stealth, and we’ve been found out by the adjunct.” She sighed quietly. “I can’t help but feel partially responsible for this.”

“That’s because you’re wholly responsible for this.” Millia glared at Serafin, who turned her attention to Tyr, letting him go. “What exactly did you hear?”

“Enough.” Tyr stepped backwards, looking from one woman to the other. “You were discussing Oramakos wanting to kill the General. And you weren’t lying – I’m very good at telling. I could tell that something was wrong with Oramakos, I just couldn’t tell what.” He paused. “Who are you people?”

“You really don’t want to know that.” Millia rubbed her forehead.

“I think that I do.”

Serafin muttered something darkly under her breath. “We need to make sure that Oramakos and Kitano don’t meet. If you can help us, we can tell you the truth.”

“Uh…” Millia looked at Serafin worriedly. “Should we really…”

“We don’t have time to choose our allies more carefully. He’s here. He can help.”

Tyr raised an eyebrow. “I do have a vested interest in my superior not being eaten by demons.”

“Fine.” Millia sighed. “You’d better pull up a seat. It’s a long story.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dakura
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: That little sneak...
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Lightning-quick Melee
Artifact: Whatever he just stole from you.

26 Apr 2007, 16:26

Heh! Lunar and Sid, masters of stealth and discretion, getting found out by a Dragon-Blood hiding behind a door. I love irony like that.

I hope Tyr doesn't end up dying. For all that's been seen of him, I think he's a nice enough guy.
"I awoke in a bed I did not recognize. I awoke with my left arm draped around the shoulders of a naked woman I did not recognize. I even awoke in a body I didn't recognize.

"I decided it had to be a Monday."

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: 19. In Which Things Get Even More Complicated

26 Apr 2007, 17:08

Friv wrote:
Tyr raised an eyebrow. “I do have a vested interest in my superior not being eaten by demons.”

I love deadpan statements.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

26 Apr 2007, 22:26

Dakura wrote:
Heh! Lunar and Sid, masters of stealth and discretion, getting found out by a Dragon-Blood hiding behind a door. I love irony like that.

I hope Tyr doesn't end up dying. For all that's been seen of him, I think he's a nice enough guy.

*grins* I won't make suggestions for the long term, but Millia does recommend him for the new head of House Cathak three months later, in Dynasty's Shadowed Light 12. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".