Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Twilight of the Second Age, Ch3 Sc7 - Windwalker

08 Jun 2006, 10:20

Table of Contents

This is #2 on my list of "5 Scenes for TotSA that I wanted to write".

-----

“Elena!” Momentarily ignoring the great bear towering above him, Kieran ran to his fallen friend, kneeling down next to her. “Why did you do that? I could have taken it…”

“Maybe… maybe not…” Elena smiled faintly, then coughed, blood stained her lips. “Never watch your defense. Work on that, huh?” She looked down, with some effort. “Can’t feel my legs, kid. Think this is it.”

Khory, running up, also knelt, looking over Elena as best he could without moving her. “The spear hit her spine. I don’t know if I can even stop the bleeding. Gods above…”

Kieran turned to the bear spirit, who was watching the proceedings sorrowfully. “There must be something you can do!”

“Boy, I am Seven Winds Dancing, the chief lieutenant of Blue Stalking Bear. I am a warrior, not a healer, and I have no magics for such salvation.” The great bear frowned. “Unless… well, she certainly earned it… there is something I might do. I cannot heal you, woman of clay, but you might heal yourself.”

“You sound… nervous.” Elena winced, looking up at the bear. “What’s the catch?”

“I can give you some of the Essence of the wind itself, set you on the path of mastery. But it will change you, in small ways. You will never again be wholly of the earth.” The bear looked away. “It is a great honour, given but rarely, but not all want to alter their lives so easily.”

“But I’ll live.” Elena looked up, with a wry smile. “And I’ll be stronger.”

“The strength of the storm shall be yours, child of earth.” Even the water elemental had stopped struggling, watching the proceedings wide-eyed. “The winds and the clouds shall call you sister.”

Elena looked up at Kieran, and smiled through her pain. “I’ll do it.”

“Foolish human! The air court is nothing but urrk!” Seven Winds Laughing casually smashed the water elemental across its head as it began to yell, and let it drop to the ground.

“I’ll deal with you in a few moments, treacherous cur.” He turned his attention towards Elena, bending down and lifting her, impossibly gently, in his great hands. “Now, madam, rise.”

Elena chuckled weakly. “Rise? I can’t even stand.”

“Do not stand. Fly.” The bear breathed outwards, and the winds came at his call. The sky clouded over, and thunder rumbled. Wind dropped from heaven, caressing Elena as it lifted her up, and Kieran stared in wonder as his mentor rose into the sky. As she flew upwards, sliding into the clouds, he turned to the great bear.

“Is… will she be alright?”

“Alright?” Winds’ laughter was answered by the rumble of thunder in the air. “I can already see that she will be marvelous. It is a gift I can give only once every decade, but she was the right one to give it to.” He turned his attention to Kieran, with a great smile. “And you, Lawgiver. You have saved me from my wretched imprisonment. I owe you a great debt.”

“You saved Elena’s life.” Kieran smiled back, arching his neck to meet the bear’s eyes. “For that, I owe you a debt.”

The bear chuckled again. “Such becoming loyalty. Do not lose it, child of the sun. Now… ah, here she comes.”

Kieran raised an eyebrow, looking upwards. A moment later, there was a gust of wind, and Elena came dropping from the sky like a stone. As Kieran and Khory gaped, she abruptly slowed, spinning in a cartwheel through the air, and then landed gently, her feet touching lightly on the ground. Although her armour and pants were cacked with blood, there was no sign of injury on what skin was exposed, and her face was free of any pain. “Kieran, it’s amazing!” Elena’s face was split into a broad grin, and she waved an arm for emphasis. “I can hear the wind singing to me. It’s like… it’s completely undescribable.”

“What does it say?” Khory smiled, his face filled with relief.

“I don’t know, I don’t speak wind.” The joke wasn’t very funny, but Kieran, Elena, and Khory all burst out laughing, nerves and relief mingling with their joy as Elena ran forwards, catching Kieran up and hugging him tightly. “Sorry to scare you, kid.” She turned to Seven Winds Dancing, bowing low. “And thank you. I understand what a tremendous honour you have given me.”

“You are as one of us now, child of earth and air. You are a Windwalker of the North. I know that you will be worthy of the honour.” The bear smiled back.

Kieran coughed lightly. “Elena, your hair.”

“What about it?” Elena caught a lock, and held it in front of her eyes, and she blinked. The hair she held was pure white, with just a hint of blue. She looked over to the huraka, who nodded solemnly.

“The mark of the windwalker. Wear it with pride.” Glancing towards the shore, Seven Winds Dancing smiled again. “Now, there is much to speak of. Shall we retire to someplace more hospitable?”

“Let’s.” Kieran smiled, giving Elena one last hug before letting go. “After all, Sirrim and Nia should learn what’s going on, too.”

“Then let us go, and meet with them.” Seven Winds Dancing knelt, scooping up Kieran and Khory in each arm before they could react, and leapt into the air, flying towards the shore. Elena, after a moment’s hesitation, followed suit, wind coiling around her as she flew over the waves. “There is much that must be discussed, for a great tragedy has befallen the North…”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

11 Jun 2006, 11:15

Hah. Well, there's always the wonder about whether or not Exaltation will happen or not. It's neat to see it go God-Blooded for once.

Interesting point, too. Where heroes can die all the time in Creation and the Incarna don't notice (because there are only so many shards after all), a God on scene can do more than the greatest of Gods can, sometimes.

Also, kinda cool to see a God-Blooded Exaltation without a family theme, for once.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories