Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Twilight of the Second Age, Ch3 Sc8 - The Truth

16 Jun 2006, 14:34

Table of Contents

Slightly shorter chapter this time; hopefully, you'll forgive me my horrible cliffhangers.
-----
Sirrim flicked blue and black blood from his claws as he let his beastman form melt away, and smiled. Standing next to him, Nia smiled back, cautiously, still wreathed in paper, her anima swirling with coloured lights. After a moment, she spoke.

“I think we won.”

Sirrim nodded, looking towards the lake. “I think you’re right. See that tornado? No air elementals work with the Water Courts willingly.” He gestured, glancing over towards the village. The tsunami that Nia had conjured had pulled water out of the lake, and the the elementals, true to form, had mobilized before she could continue and empty the lake. They couldn’t know that she had already cast another spell, and that her essence was depleted. And when they came, Sirrim and Nia had been waiting.

He paused, looking down at the ground. “Just like old times.”

The silence lengthened, before Nia spoke. “I was wrong, then. Sirrim, I know that I left you all behind. I had my mission, and it was… it was so important.” She shook her head, fighting back tears. “Nothing else mattered.”

“And now?” Sirrim’s voice was soft, but with an edge of steel. “I lost two friends that day, all those years ago, because you weren’t where you were supposed to be. Because your quest was more important than stopping the Dead.”

“My quest was – is – to stop them. I have the secret.” Nia smiled sadly. “But I have to take it back to be used.” Paper fluttered around her as her spell gave way, her clothes taking form through the falling shreds of white, fluttering to the ground. “I was wrong. I should have waited. But it wasn’t for nothing.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” Nia looked away, and Sirrim nodded. “She knows. She had to, or at least she will soon. And then what will happen to those that you travel with?”

“I can’t fight her alone.” The words were little more than a whisper. “And I can’t tell him the truth.”

“Why?” Sirrim frowned, waving a hand. “You’re willing to put him in danger, and you’re willing to put yourself in danger to help him – which is at least halfway different from what I had expected out of you.” Nia stared intently at the ground as Sirrim continued. “If he knows the truth, I’d imagine that would be safer for you. None of this ridiculous skulking around and…”

“He knows me.” Sirrim’s words cut off mid-sentence, and he stared at Nia, who finally looked up to meet his eyes. “Not him, him. And not me, me either. But I can recognize him. And he’ll recognize me, and…”

“Ahdamos.” Nia nodded, and Sirrim sighed. “Neither of you were even there when that happened.”

“But I remember from my father. And he’ll remember from his Shard, and if that repeats…” She trailed off helplessly, and Sirrim sighed slowly.

“Alright, fine.” That story had been one of the few that Nia had shared with him, once, and he knew how it went. “Nia, you already have my word that I won’t tell him. But this can’t last. You’re going to have to tell him at some p- hold on, what’s that?”

Nia turned to follow Sirrim’s gaze, and she blinked. Something was flying across the water towards them. Something big. And it was moving fast. She gulped. “Should I… should I start casting?”

“I hope not. I don’t think water elementals would move that fast that high, and…” Sirrim stopped dead. “Blessed Luna, that’s a huraka! But it’s larger than any I’ve ever seen. And flying alongside it… Nia, hide!”

“What?” Nia frowned in confusion, but it was already too late.

Sitting on one shoulder of the fast-flying huraka, Kieran started to wave cheerfully as he saw Sirrim. As he did so, however, his gaze shifted to Nia, who was standing as if transfixed next to the Lunar. Khory blinked, and turned to Kieran.

“Is somethin’ wrong with my eyes, or is that our Nia over there glowin’ up a storm?” Kieran didn’t answer, and Khory frowned. “Hey, kid. You listenin’?”

He wasn’t. Because it was true; Nia was surrounded by thousands of specks of light, spiralling around her, faint but clearly visible. Red, green, and blue lights twinkled around her as they gradually fell towards the ground, only to curve up again in an endless spiral of light. She stared at Kieran in horror, and he stared back.

Seven Winds Dancing landed, gently depositing Kieran and Khory, and Elena touched down next to them. She was the first to speak. “Nia! Are you alright? What happened to you?”

Nia opened her mouth, but no sound came out. Khory and Elena looked from her to Kieran, whose face was taking on a thunderous appearance. They glanced at each other in confusion, as Sirrim winced.

For Kieran, it was like being at the centre of a storm. Memories from another life were boiling within him, and all that he could see was a prismatic array of colours. The world narrowed, until only he and Nia were visible.

“no…” By all rights, Nia’s voice shouldn’t have been audible, but it seemed like the entire coast had fallen silent, and the next word that Kieran spoke, a word that was almost torn unwillingly from his throat, echoed across the water, with a force that made Nia blanch.

“Mokrelus.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

16 Jun 2006, 18:13

Dude. You're killing me.

Of course, I'm guilty of the same thing sometimes.

Fantastic. Gripping. One of the strongest parts of this story is that you're able to thread a comprehensible conversation when the reader has no idea what either participant is talking about. :)

Also...what is up with that anima? Seriously. :)

I can't wait for the next part. Finally, some answers? Or maybe not... ;)

Nia is probably my favorite character out of this story, next to our heroic Solar.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

16 Jun 2006, 19:41

Technically, I just gave you the answer, it's just amazingly obscure. ;)

Next story will be spelling it out for those many poor folks what don't have the book that I snagged Mokrelus from.

Devi-Chan
Essence 4
Essence 4
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

16 Jun 2006, 20:56

Yay!
" Im Agaisnt whatever your Opinion is."

Elric
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Meglomanical Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery
Artifact: The Geneforge

16 Jun 2006, 21:52

Friv wrote:

Next story will be spelling it out for those many poor folks what don't have the book that I snagged Mokrelus from.

Aha! Now I understand! Heh.
I still wonder how Mokrelus learned Sorcery considering where he's been for all these years.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

17 Jun 2006, 00:28

Elric wrote:
Friv wrote:

Aha! Now I understand! Heh.
I still wonder how Mokrelus learned Sorcery considering where he's been for all these years.

I imagine Mokrelus's knowledge of sorcery sort of predates the Exalted having it. Or, for that matter, the Exalted existing.

Elric
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Meglomanical Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery
Artifact: The Geneforge

17 Jun 2006, 01:33

Yes, but how he learned how to summon and bind demons is another matter. I highly doubt that that would have permited anything to have that sort of power over them before the Primordial War, and he hasn't been in a state conductive to learning for very long.