Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Twilight of the Second Age, Ch4 Sc3 - Moon Against The Star

30 Jun 2006, 10:44

Table of Contents

-----

The man stepped off the boat, looking around the stone pillars of the island. He was tall and regal-looking, clad in a flowing silk robe, with his hair in a long, black ponytail that hung down to his waist, and pale skin, with a slight bluish tint to it. As he surveyed the area, he murmured to himself in a soft, almost soothing voice.

One thin black eyebrow raised. “Interesting. Stones arranged in the Constellation of the Mask. Someone has been doing their homework…” Strolling forwards, he knelt by the shards of crystal scattered across the ground. “Red Yasal. Yes, this makes sense. And now Seven Winds Dancing is free, excellent…”

“It really was an awful lot of co-incidences.” The man surged to his feet, spinning around. Behind him, standing on the shore of the island, was Sirrim. He was leaning against a single, stunted tree, and smiling ferally.

“Sirrim.” The man shifted towards a defensive position, but his hand did not – quite – rise to the large sword strapped to his belt.

“Thetram Nash.” Sirrim smiled, taking steps forwards, pacing around the other. “I thought, it was odd, wasn’t it? Me seeing Nia again, I mean. And with a Solar, no less. One who could help with this… problem. Looking for the problem, specifically.” He paused, his back to the other. “And then learning that, what a surprise, it was the same Solar who knew Mokrelus of old. How very… fortunate.” He paused. “And when co-incidences start to pile up like that, the only question becomes who is responsible.”

“Cunning as always, Lunar.” Nash sighed, shaking his head. “If you’re quite finished?”

“I’m not. What is your angle in this? You’re no friend of the Sun, Sidereal.”

Nash paused. His jaw clenched. “You’re right. I’m not. No more than you are. But, like you, I find that I must use the tools that present themselves to me. That Splinter has a powerful secret, Sirrim, and there is the problem of Skulking Bear. The Solar can take the brunt of the anger from the Water Court, and the Wyld Hunt that I have sent after him can free Skulking Bear and win the favour of the Air Court. And I can take the Splinter with none of them the wiser, and possibly save Creation from another threat.” He smiled congenially. “You see? Everyone wins.”

“And all it cost you was untold damage to the natural order?” Sirrim’s voice was flat. “Why did you bind Skulking Bear?”

“What??” Nash’s pleasantness fell away, and he drew his sword, a great daiklave that glittered with the light of the stars. “How dare you even suggest such a thing!”

“Summonings, Nash. The Court of Water needs an Exalt to summon elementals for them. If not you, then who?”

“I intend to learn that, wolf. After I have resolved everything else.”
“You will not harm the boy.” Sirrim growled back, and his hair warped and twisted in the wind. Moments later, a massive wolfman stood in front of the Sidereal, who laughed.

“Please, Sirrim. You’re just going to make a fool of yourself.” With that, Nash leapt forwards, his daiklave tearing sparks from the stone as he struck. Sirrim raised his clawed hands, catching the blade in a brilliant flash as starmetal and moonsilver met. A moment later, he lashed out with one leg, slicing towards the Sidereal’s midsection. The blade spun and fell, easily deflecting the blow.

“Why won't you give up, Lunar?” As Sirrim fell back, Nash followed, his sword twisting arcane patterns in the air. “Anything that you throw at me, I can stop. Can you say the same?” His sword stabbed forwards twice more. Sirrim threw himself backwards, rolling under the first blow, but the second caught his side, drawing a thin line of blood. Nash laughed. “Give up now!”

Sirrim drove both claws forwards, only to have the sword block them easily. “Swear that the boy will be safe, Sidereal! Or face the consequences!”

“Oh, yes, you may force me to spend more Essence.” Nash shook his head. “Can’t you see that you are outmatched?” He arced around, bringing his sword in a vicious horizontal chop, which Sirrim only narrowly avoided. The Lunar fell backwards, shoving off the ground with his hands and kicking out towards the Sidereal with both feet. Sighing, Nash let Essence flow through his sword, sliding it easily to parry the attack. And then Sirrim moved.

He catapulted off the sword, impossibly fast, soaring through the air towards the tree he had first leaned against. As he did, he grinned. “Outmatched? The moon’s shine may be hidden…” Passing the tree, he let his hands touch the leaves, which twined into him, and suddenly, the air was full of leaves, silver light surrounding them, spinning and spiralling with impossible speed as they flowed around the stones towards Nash. Razor-sharp, slicing and flowing, they surrounded him and struck. Nash’s sword moved in impossible arcs, but even it could not stop the hurricane of greenery flowing towards him, and ribbons of blood exploded from him as the Lunar’s trap was sprung. “But you should not take it to mean that it is gone.” Landing easily, Sirrim strode forwards, to where Nash lay bleeding on the ground, and kicked his sword away.

“Foolish, foolish, Nash. You should have known. Still, I can’t kill you. Too much trouble from your bloody brothers. And you’ll heal those wounds too quickly for them to slow you down much. Which means I’ll have to slow you down myself.” One claw came up, rimmed in silver, and slammed dowards towards Nash’s muscles. The Sidereal’s world went red with pain, and then merciful unconsciousness took him.

Sirrim considered the Sidereal for a moment, and then struck again and again, twisting muscles and warping bones. It would not last forever, but if Nash thought to pursue at any time in the near future, he would find it difficult at best. And if he tried to fight again, Sirrim would just have to kill him.

Humming, Sirrim hefted the starmetal daiklave and tied it down. A Wyld Hunt was in the works, was it? He had a lot of work to do.

-----

And for the curious, this is the rough mechanics of the fight:

Prep:
Sirrim triggers Nature's Ammunition and Deadly Beastman.
Nash triggers Blade of the Battle Maiden for +8 dice.

Join Battle!: Sirrim wins, delays two ticks to see what Nash will do.

Tick 2: Nash attacks. Sirrim blocks.
Tick 3: Sirrim attacks. Nash Impedes The Flow.
Tick 7: Nash attacks twice. Sirrim dodges, succeeding once with a reroll and missing the other. He takes one lethal more, leaving him in his -1s.
Tick 8: Sirrim attacks. Nash Impedes The Flow.
Tick 12: Nash attacks. Sirrim blocks with Essence.
Tick 13: Sirrim uses Quick Attack and attacks. Nash Impedes The Flows.
Tick 15: Sirrim triggers his Deadly Windstorm Strike combo: Lighting Stroke + automatic damage conversion, and attacks three times. He also has a customized Charm that prevents targets from being killed by his attack for 1m. With no Charm selection except Impede the Flow, which can't block the unblockable, Nash gets hit. A lot. He also has no soak, because VBoS. So he's Incapacitated. Combat ends. Because it's been over 10 ticks since it started, Nash can't Avoidance Kata now and escape.

Then Sirrim uses Maiming Blow to drop all of Nash's Physicals to 1. Sucker.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

30 Jun 2006, 13:17

A Lunar t-shirt: "Sidereal Bitches with Impeding the Flow don't know about inapplicability"

<^_^>

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

30 Jun 2006, 13:53

Good writing and it's always amusing to see the NPCs off-screen, so to speak.

I admit to being a little puzzled in a few places. Why were the stones arranged that way? Or did I miss something?

Also, I'm a little confused why a Sidereal would do a plan that involved pissing off a number of people (ie. the Gods) who can go and bug him at his workplace in Heaven about it. :D

Last, and this is the only real question I have...what was up with the sudden hostilities? They went from politely talking to Sirrim saying "You will not harm the boy" and the Sidereal calling him on it. I don't think the Sidereal had even implied harm to the Solar, beyond his intention to use him as a tool.

Of course, maybe the harm is drawing the anger of the Water Court and having a Wyld Hunt to kill him and, apparently, take all the credit for fixing the problem. So maybe I'm just being dense, it just seemed a bit unclear.

By the way, badass combo. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone think of that trick before.

Much awesomeness.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

30 Jun 2006, 14:26

Sorry, that wasn't entirely clear.

First, the stones thing is a throwaway line, which will become clear in time.

Now, Nash's plan was as follows: Kieran fights Water Court, Kieran beats Water Court, Wyld Hunt kills Kieran, Wyld Hunt frees Skulking Bear, and finally Nash grabs Nia.

Sirrim told Nash that he didn't like the plan, and that Sirrim wouldn't let him get Kieran killed - Kieran dying is an important part of Nash's plan, otherwise the Air Court will be beholden to the returning Solars instead of the Immaculate Order.

And technically, Nash's plan is avoid being bugged by the gods. He wants Skulking Bear freed without the Water Court realizing that he was behind it. Sirrim accused him of being the one who was helping the Water Court to start, but Nash has denied it. ;)

Hope that helps.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

30 Jun 2006, 14:54

Got it! Actually, I mostly had it before, it just took me a bit to work it out. If you're into editing, my only suggestion would be to perhaps make it a tiny bit more obvious that Nash needs Kieran dead to pull the plan off his way.

Although it may just be me. :)

Otherwise, that Sidereal is one cunning guy. Too bad the Lunar utterly dominated him. I wonder what he's going to do when he gets better... Like any good Sidereal, his plan will run on without him but if he can't troubleshoot the little fixes that crop up, it could all fall apart...

Hmmm...yes. Good stuff, Friv.

And just because Nash wants Skulking Bear freed, doesn't mean he isn't the one who did it. If you want someone else to get the credit anyway, why not be the bad guy? ;)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories