Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Twilight of the Second Age, Ch4Sc5 - Diversion

11 Jul 2006, 18:55

Table of Contents

Alright, let's get this party started. ;)

-----

Kieran stopped the wagon on the hill, gazing down at Harketon. His breath caught in his throat. Beside him, Nia covered her mouth with one hand, and even Khory and Elena looked sick. Standing next to the wagon that he had carried over the raging river, Seven Winds Dancing simply shook his head sadly.

Below them were the remains of what had once been a city. Now, nothing remained but the waves. Even from here, Kieran could smell the scent of death, and he simply stared, stunned.

“The future of the North.” Seven Winds Dancing spoke softly, but grimly.

“What happened?” Nia’s voice was barely above a whisper. “What would do this?”

“The dam broke.” Khory pointed shakily, raising one hand towards the mountains north of the village. Bits of stone littered the banks of the river that was rapidly widening into a lake. “This time of year, even, that lake should have been mostly frozen. It all melted, and something broke up there…” He trailed off, and shook his head. “All the water hit the city at once. They never had a chance.” He swallowed faintly, and then clenched his jaw. “A lot of ‘em probably didn’t even have time to realize what was happening.”

“That… that must be thousands of people.” Kieran frowned, looking towards shore. “The spirits must have started setting up the graveyard over there.” Hundreds of small stone monuments were laid out along one shore, a veritable forest of masoleums. “Trying to stop the shadowland from spreading any further.” His voice was hard, and his eyes were like two stones. Slowly, he turned to the others. “This stops here. All of those people… I will stop it, if it takes my life to do it.”

“Easier said than done.” Seven Winds Dancing pointed out towards the lake, where a tangle of rocks jutted out. “They’ll have the master imprisoned under stone and water, to keep him from breaching the crystals they used. But there’s going to be an army between us and them. One Exalt, a god, a god-blood, a splinter, and a mortal? No. Not nearly enough.”

“It gets worse.” Kieran’s heart leapt into his throat, and he turned quickly as Sirrim melted out of the undergrowth, his expression solemn. “There’s another Wyld Hunt enroute. And these ones are much better-equipped. You only beat them past the river by a few minutes. That stopped them, but they’ll be here within half an hour. And they’re out for your blood.”

“Lovely.” Kieran considered grumpily, and then brightened. “Actually… that might be lovely. If we can hide…” He looked around at his friends. “Is there any objection to having the Hunt fight a real threat? Just for a change of pace?”

“Are you thinking of tricking them into combat with the elementals?” Khory slowly started to smile, and the others joined in one by one as Kieran nodded.

“I think I have a plan, but it’s going to be tricky. The Hunt will hate this. They’ll want it stopped as much as we do, and they might just charge in. At which point, we can slip through and get at least a decent portion of the way through before we get stopped. What do you think, Sirrim?”

“Could work.” The Lunar stroked his chin, and then sighed. “But we’ll have to be very quiet. If the elementals see us, it’s done. And if the Hunt doesn’t, they might not investigate enough.”

“Alright, then. Here’s the plan…”

-----

“What do you think, Seregard?”

“Bad.” The Dynast closed his eyes for a moment, refocusing, and then looked. “There is a shadowland forming on the east bank, the town is in ruins. I’d be surprised if anyone was left.” He turned to Lodaris. “Is this the sort of water-witchery that confronted you at Gemmel’s Reach?”

“Yes…” Lodaris was shaken, but found his resolve. “But applied much more devastatingly. We have to ride further in.”

“We don’t even know where to look.” Sarrah looked around the town, ashen-faced. “This is a disaster. There’s no sign of anything recognizable except ruins.”

“There’s the lake.” Juani spoke absently, looking around intently. One hand was on her sword, though, and her knuckles were white. “And… there!” She pointed, her voice filled with venom, and the others nodded slowly as they saw what she had seen. A small cart, parked by the lake. “That is his. Hurry, he must be nearby.” Leaping from her horse, she started down the hill, quickly joined by the others.

As they approached the shore, Lodaris nodded slowly, his weapons drawn and his Charms prepared. This was the same cart, there was no doubt about it. He mused aloud. “This new terrain favours rogue spirits. We must act with caution.” He tuned his senses to the spirit world, looking for danger… and gasped. “Dragons above, they’re everywhere!”

Spotted, the elementals began to reveal themselves. Dozens of them. Scores. Hundreds. Water elementals of every shape and size, filling the lake, watching the Dynasts and the suddenly-nervous soldiers with hate-filled eyes. Finally, one of them spoke. “Immaculates.”

“You are in violation of the Celestial Order.” Lodaris’s voice echoed across the lake. “Leave your master now, and return to your duties!”

“No! Our Queen will reign forever over water and wind!” The elementals screamed in fury, and started to move forwards. The sky rumbled, and the Dynasts set themselves to fight. Lodaris had only a moment to wonder… queen? Not king?

Then, as the elementals began to press around him, and his sword sang a song of fire, he saw, out of the corner of his eye, the people dropping from the sky, landing quietly on the island in the middle of the lake. And then it was too late to do anything but let battle be joined.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

11 Jul 2006, 20:40

Woot!

Yeah, that's a lot of fun.

I like how 'big' you make/keep the story. It's perfectly epic enough for a low-end Solar and I admire that you aren't afraid to disturb things (as this latest story shows).

One of your best parts, I think. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories