Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Hekara: It Always Begins In A Bar (Part 1)

17 Jul 2006, 12:57

And the story begins in earnest.

-----

“Sorry, sweetie, never seen him.”

Marcaeus Blake sighed, nodded, and turned away. The barmaid watched him for a moment as he crossed the room, before returning to her rounds. Morosely, he hopped up onto a chair and looked across the table at his companion, his wide-brimmed hat perched on his head as though about to fly off. Normally, he’d have given at least a try to a flippant remark, but he wasn’t feeling up to it.

His partner noticed, and reached over, patting his hand. “No luck, I take it?” Tysa frowned, looking around. “This is very strange. I haven’t found anything, either, and believe me, I’ve tried. The innkeeper might as well be a eunuch for all the attention he pays me.”

Blake looked up at that, with a ghost of a smile. “Is that annoyance that I hear, madame?”

“Damned right it is.” Tysa frowned, one perfectly trimmed and coloured fingernail tracing the lines of the table’s woodwork. “I work hard at this, you know. It’s not as though I just spring forth from the seaform every day.”

“Perish the thought.” Blake grinned, and the sank into a thoughtful look. Reaching out, he snagged a stein from a passing barmaid, and flashed her a broad smile when she opened her mouth to protest, tossing her a silver coin with his free hand. Rolling her eyes, she turned around to get another form the kitchen. Taking a sip, he sat back, placing the ale next to him, and leaning forwards, speaking softly. “Right. Let’s summarize, then.”

As he spoke, he ticked off items on his fingers. “One. It is Apprenticeship Day in Urias. This means that we’ve got people from across the region here trying to find trades. Guards, soldiers, blacksmiths, cooks, alchemists, soothsayers. There’s even a circus, for the Dragons’ sakes.” He considered his list, and nodded. “Two. Someone is taking advantage of the tumult to make people vanish. All signs point to slavers. With the confusion, most people haven’t noticed, except our delightful employers.” Tysa nodded, and he continued. “Three. The kidnappers have magic enough to disguise their tracks, but not enough to do so completely. They also have too much information about when people are alone, and where they’re from. Based on the traces they’ve left behind, they may have ghostly allies. Four…” He sighed. “Four, the only link is that everyone who vanished seems to have visited this tavern in the day before, but none of the staff seem to recognize them, and we are both very good at getting people to tell us things.” He smiled slowly, pieces connecting in his mind. “Which means…”

“The staff.” Tysa nodded. “Either bribed or intimidated. So, now what do we do.”

“Keep looking.” Blake leaned back, taking up his ale and taking a long draw. “I’m confidant that something is going to happen very… woah!” The chair overbalanced, and Blake found himself somersaulting backwards. He rolled to his feet, reaching out to catch the stein as he sailed through the air, but it still managed to splash, sending an arc of beer into the jerkin of the soldier standing behind him, facing the bar. Blake winced, as the man slowly turned around. “Terribly sorry, goodsir. They just don’t make chairs like they… oh.”

There was a pause, as the soldier’s eyes widened. Then he spoke. “YOU!” He reached out to grab Blake, who danced nimbly backwards.

“Terribly sorry, chap, don’t remember meeting you before. Must be going. Goodbye.” Blake started slipping through the crowd, only to find the man chasing him, shoving people out of the way in his haste.

“MARCAEUS!” The soldier roared, and people scattered. Blake took advantage of the panic to slip outside, dashing across the inn’s stableyard. Cover. Cover. He looked around, spotting only a wagon with a woman sitting on the stoop, sword buckled at her side, combing her hair. Dashing over, he tipped his hat to her. “Madame. Can I hide in your wagon? Matter of life and death, swear to you.” The woman, after a moment, nodded bemusedly, and Blake leapt into the wagon, just as the inn door slammed open.

“MARCAEUS, GET OUT HERE AND FIGHT!” Inside the wagon, Blake peeked out as the soldier stormed across the square… directly towards the wagon. Not good. Looking around, he saw a shuttered window that might do for an escape. Outside, the man had stopped in front of the wagon. “Lenia, there was a bloody little thief came by here.”

“That was yours, Captain?” Her voice was low, but amused. The man paused, and nodded, and she chuckled. “What did he do, sir? You aren’t often like this.”

“He stole my fiancee, and I will have vengeance.” The man’s voice was tight, and Blake sighed. Quickly, before it became an issue, he kicked open the shutters, using the momentum to flip onto the wagon’s roof.

“Now, my good man – Terrance, wasn’t it? You can’t steal a person. Well… a slave, maybe. But unless you are calling your beloved a slave…?”

“Terrek.” Blake raised an eyebrow, and the man almost growled. “My name is Terrek, not Terrance. And you seduced her away from me, you little monster!”

“I did no such thing. You must be aware that it was extremely mutual.” Blake paused, and rubbed the back of his head. “And, eh… she never actually told me that she was engaged. Must have slipped her mind.” He paused. “Can we discuss this like reasonable adults, or are you going to try and kill me.”

“Get off my wagon.” Terrek sighed. “And no, I won’t kill you.” He paused. “Or attack you without warning.”

“Good enough for me.” Blake hopped off the wagon, bowing to Lenia. “Introductions, I fear, are in order. The name’s Marcaeus Blake, travelling merchant and performer. I’m afraid that your commander and I had a bit of bad blood last time we met.” He returned his attention to Terrek, who was still glaring at him. “Captain, eh? You weren’t such high rank last time we met. The Legion’s been good to you.”

Lenia let out a harsh laugh, and Blake’s eyebrow raised. After a moment, Terrek spoke, looking away, his jaw clenched. “I’m not with the legion anymore. I’m a guard captain. Working for a… thaumaturge.”

“Ah.” There didn’t seem much else to say, so Blake took the oppurtunity to search his memory. “My apologies. I didn’t realize.” He paused, and then had to ask. “You? Quitting the legion? I’m sorry, Terrek, that just seems… well, pretty incredible, if you don’t mind me saying so. Picture dedicated child of the Realm, you.”

“There was a disagreement.” The words did not invite further inquiry, and Terrek turned away. “Forget it, Marcaeus. I don’t even know why I bothered chasing you.”

“Strong heart. Terrible thing, that.” Blake walked up, and looked up at Terrek. “Come on back inside the inn. I left my companion rather abruptly. You say you’re working with a thaumaturge? What does he do?”

“She.” Terrek smirked. “She’s a medium.”

“Really.” Blake’s smile grew. “What a fortuitous coincidence, running into you here, my old friend.”

“We are NOT friends.” Terrek did not smile. Blake’s smile faltered slightly, but he pressed on.

“Perhaps not. Business, then. My companion and I have need of a medium. It could save lives. Perhaps you would be interested to hear more?”

Terrek glared at him a moment more, and then sighed. “Fine. I’ll listen. But this had better be important.”

“Oh, it is.” Blake led the way back into the inn, with Terrek following reluctantly behind him. “It may well be to die for.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Devi-Chan
Essence 4
Essence 4
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

18 Jul 2006, 00:47

^.^ I loved that real opening there Friv mucho awesomeness
" Im Agaisnt whatever your Opinion is."

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

02 Aug 2006, 21:37

Very good. Will there be more forthcoming? Please?

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

02 Aug 2006, 21:43

Shhh...

Good as it is, he has at least one more Twilight story to deliver before I can stand for him to write something else. Must...have...closure...

Bide your time...
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

03 Aug 2006, 00:37

*grins* Time permitting, I will try to get both a Kieran chapter and a Hekara chapter up tommorow. Can't make promises, as my ability to write frequently depends on how quiet it is at work. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".