Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Twilight of the Second Age, Ch4, Sc8 - Loose Ends

03 Aug 2006, 10:24

Table of Contents

-----

“You are a strange group, but effective.” Blue Stalking Bear grinned an almost sinister-looking smile, looking around at Kieran’s companions. The elementals had been defeated, and fled, and the party was now taking stock of their situation – the Wind Master had transformed himself into a gusty almost-human, with only his fangs and eyes to remind them of his ursine nature, and the wind rippling around him. “And I owe you a great deal – no, the entire North owes you a great deal for what you have done here today. I must depart soon, to begin repairing the damage that those fools wrought when they imprisoned me, but if there is anything that I can do before that, simply name it.”

“I have a question of you, mighty wind god.” Cathak Lodaris grimaced before speaking, looking over at Kieran and Sirrim. He had been very quiet since the end of the battle, simply watching the others, and Kieran had been growing increasingly nervous at his dour expression. Now, it seemed, his thoughts had agreed on a course of action.

Stalking Bear looked down at Lodaris, and sighed. “You may wish to be careful with your questions. Knowledge can be dangerous for one’s peace of mind.”

Lodaris chuckled harshly. “It is too late for that.” He paused again, and then spoke, each word pulled almost unwillingly from his lips. “Is the Immaculate Philosophy a lie?”

There was a pause, as all eyes turned towards the great god. He mulled his words carefully before speaking. “That is a difficult question, and it depends greatly on which… part of it you refer to. Is there a proper order to the universe? Yes. Does it work more smoothly if the mortals obey the Exalted, and the Exalted protect and guide the mortals? As a rule, yes. Do worthy souls reicarnate into the bloodlines of Dragons? I do not know; the workings of fate are not my providence. But are the Terrestrials the most enlightened beings in the world?” He sighed. “No, master monk. The Celestial Exalted were always supposed to rule above you.”

“Then why?” Lodaris waved a hand. “Why the Great Uprising? Why all of this? Why have I spent my life training to kill beings…” He stopped, and took a deep breath. “People. People who should have been giving me the orders.”

“Because people fall. Look to the Realm, Lodaris, and see its faults, the faults of those who have come to expect their power rather than earning it, and imagine those expectations and powers magnified a hundredfold. And perhaps you will understand that not all the tales of the Anathema were invented.” He turned his attention towards Kieran. “I do not know what you remember of the First Age, but it is true. I hope that, in this incarnation, you will learn better.”

“I intend to.” Kieran’s voice was soft. “There’s a lot of work ahead of us, though.”

Lodaris turned suddenly, walking towards the waterfall. “And I wish you luck with it. I will depart, and tell the Hunt that you died in here, with the rogue gods.” He paused, looking back. “I see honour in you, boy. Don’t give me cause to regret my decision.”

“I won’t.” Kieran sighed, and bowed. “Good luck to you, Cathak Lodaris, and best wishes. You are a good man.”

“Hm.” Lodaris began to climb, without looking back. Finally, as he stood on the overlook, he spoke once more. “You are a good man, as well, but you spread change in your wake. I wonder if we can survive hundreds more like you.” He shook his head. “It is not my concern any longer. Farewell, Master Kieran. I do not think that we will meet again.”

Slowly, he walked down the tunnel, and the others watched him go. After a moment, Khory spoke. “Poor man. He deserved better from the world than this.”

“Could be worse. Maybe he can change things.” Elena’s words were soft, and she shrugged.

“Perhaps.” The Wind Master sounded doubtful, and he turned his attention back to the others. “And you all. Is there anything that you require?”

“The West.” Kieran smiled, now, looking towards Nia, who blinked for a moment before suddenly grinning in understanding. “We need to get to an island in the Far West. As a Wind Master, I imagine you can get us there quickly.”

“That I can.” The Wind Master chuckled, sending ripples of air around the room. “Let us wait for the Hunt to depart, and then I will send for a craft to take you to wherever you wish to go, with my blessings.”

The cavern fell silent, as the gathered people began tending to their wounds, and marvelling at their luck in surviving that battle. Elena fell into quiet conversation with the Wind Master, and Kieran smiled. A moment later, he saw Nia sitting by herself, and walked over to her. “Nervous?”

“A little.” She laughed a bit shrilly. “I don’t know what my Master will think of me, as I have become.”

“You’ve grown. He’ll respect that.” Kieran’s voice held conviction, and he smiled.

“I hope so.” Nia sounded much more dubious. “But he –”

“RIGHT!” The words came from the overlook, and everyone looked up in surprise. There was a small patrol standing above them, staring woodenly down. At their back, a woman veiled was standing at the ready, dark Essence coiled around her hands.

Twice-Forged Steel stepped out of the mix of zombies, raising a sai towards Nia. “Alright, look! We have chased you across half the North. I have had to deal with bar ruffians, snow tigers, shadow creatures, and bandits. We have had to avoid Immaculate patrols twice, I’ve had to camp outside in the wet and rain, I hate the outdoors, and I am amazingly upset right now. I just want to make that clear.” His gaze swept the cavern, and his words were biting. “We are here for that girl. You will give her to us, and we will leave. No one gets hurt. Or, you can try to fight us, and we will murder every last one of you. Clear? Good.”

Nia’s eyes had widened with fright, and the others were staring in surprise. Except for Blue Stalking Bear, who growled deep in his throat, and began to grow. Wind formed a tornado around him as he towered over the Abyssals, and he let out a monstrous roar, strong enough that one of the zombies – less composed than the others – broke in half at the waist from the sheer force.

Twice-Forged Steel considered that. “You know what, if you’re busy, we can come back later.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Twilight of the Second Age, Ch4, Sc8 - Loose Ends

20 Aug 2006, 23:42

Friv wrote:

Twice-Forged Steel stepped out of the mix of zombies, raising a sai towards Nia. “Alright, look! We have chased you across half the North. I have had to deal with bar ruffians, snow tigers, shadow creatures, and bandits. We have had to avoid Immaculate patrols twice, I’ve had to camp outside in the wet and rain, I hate the outdoors, and I am amazingly upset right now. I just want to make that clear.” His gaze swept the cavern, and his words were biting. “We are here for that girl. You will give her to us, and we will leave. No one gets hurt. Or, you can try to fight us, and we will murder every last one of you. Clear? Good.”

Nia’s eyes had widened with fright, and the others were staring in surprise. Except for Blue Stalking Bear, who growled deep in his throat, and began to grow. Wind formed a tornado around him as he towered over the Abyssals, and he let out a monstrous roar, strong enough that one of the zombies – less composed than the others – broke in half at the waist from the sheer force.

Twice-Forged Steel considered that. “You know what, if you’re busy, we can come back later.”

ROTFLMAO!

Steel is the most entertaining Deathkinght ever.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

21 Aug 2006, 08:15

*grins* I really liked that scene.

And yeah, I enjoy Steel, too. He'll be making appearances in other fiction later on, since his role in this was smaller. :)

(On a side note, it's quite amusing to see all these older chapters popping up to the top while I'm finishing the story. :) )
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".