Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 14: Organization

13 Jan 2007, 23:56

Really nothing fancy to say about this one.

-----

“Will the madam be having anything to eat?” The bartender, a tall, thin man, rubbed his short moustache as he looked Alina up and down. She smiled up at him.

“What are the choices?”

“We have cipolla to eat, or just fish.” The bartender paused. “To drink, there is jasmine tea, ale, wine, or watered wine.”

“Cipolla sounds lovely. And tea.” The bartender nodded, and Alina sat back at her table, looking around the inn. She’d spent the last few hours slipping around town, chatting with people, and generally poking her nose where she wasn’t sure if it belonged, and she couldn’t find any evidence that this place was anything more than it seemed. The thought should have reassured her, but somehow it didn’t.

‘Cipolla’, as it turned out, was a dish made primarily out of haddock, onions, and some sort of green that she wasn’t familiar with, all boiled together and served on a platter. She wrinkled her nose slightly at the smell, but took a taste. Then she coughed and reached for some water. The bartender grinned. “It’s very good, yes? A bit spicy for a non-native’s taste, perhaps? We use the best local peppers.” Alina managed a smile and nod, and took another cautious bite. She resolved to see if there were any better-tasting local delicacies around, and forced back a laugh. After years of being the concubine of a Dynast, she’d gotten used to fine meals, and her weeks on the road didn’t seem to have toned her tastes down.

She glanced over as Lodaris entered, and raised a hand. He smiled slightly, and strode towards her, sliding easily into the seat opposite. She smiled back, and nodded to him. “I see you got your meeting with the goddess.”

“How did you know?”

“Your hair’s damp.” Lodaris raised one hand to his head, and then grunted. Alina chuckled and took another reluctant bite of cipolla. “So, what did she have to say?”

“We can stay without interference. And…” He paused. “She also gave me much to think about.”

“Did she.” Lodaris’s eyes narrowed slightly, and Alina let the innuendo pass. “Well, that’s better than I managed. There’s absolutely nothing here that would be of particular interest to the Lintha. Certainly not enough for them to let five ships be destroyed. Everybody certainly likes Steel, and there haven’t been a rash of mysterious deaths.” She made a face. “Although, he’s apparantly turning the Lintha he kills into zombies and setting them on patrols outside of the towns in case of a raid. I’m not sure what I think about that.”

“Hm.” Lodaris considered faintly, watching the cipolla without really seeing it. The bartender started to approach, and he waved him off with a shrug and a curt “Tea.” Then he leaned in closer. “The goddess suggested that there was a Shogunate base within the heart of the mountain that the Lintha may know of. She seems quite convinced that it is their goal.”

Alina started to nod, and then frowned at Lodaris’s carefully blank expression. “But you aren’t.”

“Did I say that?” Lodaris’s voice was as studiously blank as his expression. He reached out, taking the teacup the bartender was about to place on the table, and sipped from it.

“You didn’t have to.” Alina frowned again, studying Lodaris across the table. He set down his teacup opposite hers, watching her in return. “Why do you keep testing me?”

“Testing you?” The voice remained polite, absent, but there was a hint of something in it. Pride?

“You’ve been testing me ever since we met. That first attack. Having me chart directions. Deliberately suggesting plans that required me to learn Seatongue as quickly as possible. That speech about me needing to lead. And now this. Why?” For a moment, Lodaris met her eyes, and then he looked down at the table.

“Because you must learn as much as possible, as quickly as possible.” When he looked up, his face was even grimmer than usual. “This business with the Lintha is not merely raiding. You know that from your dreams, and I have seen enough signs. Something dark is coming. So. Why does the goddess’s opinion ring false?”

Alina thought for a moment, and then it hit her. “Because the Lintha are raiders, and murderers. Five ships could have killed everyone here, looted the treasury, and left before the Realm had a chance to respond.”

“Exactly.” This time, there was no mistaking the pride in Lodaris’s voice. “But they did not. Which means one of two things. Either the armoury is not the primary objective, or they cannot take it immediately. Either way, they are trying to cut off support to the island.”

“Which suggests a future attack. A big one.” Alina sat back, shaking her head. “We should tell Steel about this.”

“I would assume that he already knows.”

He didn’t.

Steel’s home was modest, but far less cheerful than the cabin on this ship had been. Instead, it was decorated in much the same manner as the goddess’s temple had been, with few furnishings and little light shining into it. Steel had been lounging on the porch when the two approached, but now he was pacing back and forth. Off to one side, Jasmine simply shook her head in annoyance.

“That’s bad. That’s very bad.” Steel sat back in the chair he had been in when Alina and Lodaris had arrived, only to spring from it again and resume pacing. “I was just getting used to picking them off.” He paused. “And how come the goddess never told me about this arsenal?”

“She probably thought you’d loot it.” Lodaris’s voice was flat.

“Mm.” Steel sighed, looking around at his companions. “Well, we’d better go and take a look. In a few days.” He grinned. “No rush, though. You can take time to settle in, first.”

“Are you sure?” Alina looked around the town, and then raised an eyebrow. “We don’t know what their next move is going to be.”

“No problem. I’ve got a week and a half until I leave again. We’ll head upisland in about a week. It’s less than a day’s hike, so we can make it an overnight trip. No problem.” When the others looked unconvinced, Steel grinned again. “Seriously. What’s going to happen in a week?”

Alina didn’t know, but she had a prickling up her spine that suggested she was going to find out.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

15 Jan 2007, 02:37

Given how wrong he is about Dukantha, I wonder exactly what could happen in a week.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

19 Jan 2007, 12:04

I love your characters. I love how well you do interaction.

Friv, I'm enjoying myself and I apologize it's taken me this long to have the time to catch up.

It's GOOD.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Retired Fanatic
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Relentless assault
Artifact: Lunatic Fang - the Moonsilver Anyweapon

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 14: Organization

01 Feb 2007, 12:37

Friv wrote:
“Seriously. What’s going to happen in a week?”

He needs to stop SAYING things like that!
Do not confuse the inexcusable for the unforgivable. If a crime can be excused, then there was nothing to forgive in the first place. It is only when a crime is inexcusable that forgiveness is even an issue. And at that point, forgive. Forgive, if only because it sets you free. Bitterness never produced anything sweet.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 14: Organization

01 Feb 2007, 13:18

Tornado Wolf wrote:
Friv wrote:
“Seriously. What’s going to happen in a week?”

He needs to stop SAYING things like that!

What would be the fun of that?

I'm tempted to write him a 1-pt Flaw which is the exact opposite of Unbidden Oracle. "Inviting Trouble", or something. :wink:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Retired Fanatic
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Relentless assault
Artifact: Lunatic Fang - the Moonsilver Anyweapon

01 Feb 2007, 14:29

DO IT. :lol:
Do not confuse the inexcusable for the unforgivable. If a crime can be excused, then there was nothing to forgive in the first place. It is only when a crime is inexcusable that forgiveness is even an issue. And at that point, forgive. Forgive, if only because it sets you free. Bitterness never produced anything sweet.