Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 7: Opposition

22 Feb 2007, 14:31

“That annoying little bitch.”

“Troubles with the Roseblack?” Mnemon ground her teeth and looked over from where she was pacing to the simple gateway board set up on one side of her tastefully palatial room. Sitting at it, Perfected Tears Upon Alabastar Sorrow calmly moved a piece, then began studying the opposite side of the board as though he had never spoken. She sighed internally. Her allies were distasteful to her, and her enemies were legion, but she had to bring herself back under control. She had only half realized that she had even spoken, and such loss of self-control could be deadly.

“It’s the Sidereals. It must be.” Somehow, everywhere that Mnemon turned, there were forces thwarting her plans to bring the Dynasty under her control. She knew that the slug, Nagazzer, opposed her, as did her treacherous sister V’Neef. But the scope of her misfortune had Sidereals written all over it. It was not amusing. She could have had the Realm wrapped up by now, and she was running out of time.

“She is becoming more dangerous than I had envisioned. Who would honestly support some… soldier, not even a child of the Empress, to the throne?” While Mnemon had been focusing on what she considered her true rivals, Cathak Cainan and V’Neef, the Roseblack’s support had quietly swelled, until Mnemon could not ignore it. “What am I going to do with her…”

“Feed her to the Mask.” With his offhand comment, Sorrow slid a piece towards himself, then returned to considering his own pieces.

“Oh, he would love that. Hand him a great part of our remaining military mind, swelling his armies with jade and the dead. And in return, I get the notoriety of having sent a political rival to die.” Scorn dripped from her voice, and Sorrow shrugged, sliding another piece across the board.

“If you dislike my advice, why do you have me remain nearby?”

“Oh, I value your input.” Mnemon stopped pacing to look at the deathknight. “It gives me so much insight into what my more-or-less ally thinks.”

“And in return, you speak more frankly than I imagine is your typical wont.” Sorrow looked up from the board to meet Mnemon’s eyes. “Frankly, I wonder if you really want the throne at all.” Nonchalantly, he slid a white piece to the left.

“What does that mean?” Mnemon stepped forwards, raising an eyebrow.

“You wanted a confidant. You have chosen me. A deathknight of the Mask of Winters, someone of whom you make no secret of your distrust, while still partaking in an alliance. One might be forgiven for thinking that a part of you wants to fail.” With an expert motion, a black piece swung aside to knock the white from the board.

“Ridiculous.” Waving a hand, Mnemon turned away. “I have better things to do than to listen to your pale attempts at psychoanalysis.”

“Everything I do is pale.” Another move, and Sorrow looked down at the board. “Oh, dear. I seem to have captured my own dragon.”

Mnemon frowned, turning away from the Deathknight and his game against himself. Though he was an aggravating man, Sorrow had a gift for creating new insecurities within her. She wondered what sort of gift it had been for the Mask to have left this ambassador with her, and suspected in her heart that, as with anything from a Deathlord, it had barbs meant to destroy her. But neither the Mask nor Sorrow could know the deadly time limit that she labored under, and she did not have the time for these concerns. She had an empire to win, and was rapidly running out of time to win it.

Across the Imperial City, in the Palace Sublime, a very different meeting was taking place. A simple scribe slipped through the halls, ultimately finding his way to a room not written of on any of the maps of the Palace. Within, an old man sat cross-legged, his eyes closed. His simple monk’s robes hung limply around a gaunt frame, deep bluish-black skin paling only around his weathered features, and his hair was thin and wispy. Still, there was power in his posture, and the scribe took a deep breath before proceeding.

“Master Thelos?” The scribe spoke in a whisper, but the man’s eyes snapped open – as gray as a stormy sea.

“Snow On Briars.” Thelos inclined his head faintly. “What news?”

“The alliances hold firm, but neither is making much progress.” The scribe sat opposite Thelos, laying down his scrolls. “The Slug’s minions have begun searching out those few Iselsi that he is aware of, soliciting alliance.”

“Pah. We have no need of his false charity.” Thelos made a dismissive motion, and Briars nodded. “Remember this, Briars. The Dynasty is a place of politics and betrayal, in which your friends can become your enemies in a moment. It is a lesson that our House learned all too well, and we will not be misled again. There will be no alliance.”

“Of course, Master Thelos. But you know that our control is… less than absolute. Some of our younger members may be swayed.”

“Then we will have to unsway them.” Thelos looked outwards, as though staring through the stone walls around him to an unknowable future. “If anyone strays too far from the path, inform me, and the matter will be attended to.”

Briars bowed his head in assent, and Thelos continued. “Not long now, Briars. No, not long now. We need only keep our foes at each others’ throats until Calibration is upon us.”

“Why, master?” Briars kept his head bowed for the question, knowing he was taking a risk. But his curiousity had the better of him. “What comes at Calibration?”

The reply whispered across the room. “Our rebirth.”
Last edited by Friv on 27 May 2007, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

22 Feb 2007, 19:59

Hmmmm....

All I can say is, if what I think is happening is actually happening, this is not good.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

22 Feb 2007, 22:42

Although why Mnemon wants to be on the throne when her mother gets back, I have no idea. One would assume that would be like being Starscream when Galvatron got back. Mnemon doesn't strike me as the kind of person who wants to have her coronation and funeral the same week.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

22 Feb 2007, 23:28

BrilliantRain wrote:
Although why Mnemon wants to be on the throne when her mother gets back, I have no idea. One would assume that would be like being Starscream when Galvatron got back. Mnemon doesn't strike me as the kind of person who wants to have her coronation and funeral the same week.

THAT'S BECAUSE YOUR BODY HAS NOT BEEN COMANDEERED BY THE SPARK OF THE DECEPTICON GENERAL STARSCREAM!

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

26 Feb 2007, 12:26

BrilliantRain wrote:

Mnemon wants to be on the throne BEFORE her mother gets back, because the alternative is that her mother gets the throne back.

With all the problems that entails.

Mnemon needs time to get ready for that. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

26 Feb 2007, 12:56

Friv wrote:

Mnemon wants to be on the throne BEFORE her mother gets back, because the alternative is that her mother gets the throne back.

With all the problems that entails.

Mnemon needs time to get ready for that. ;)

Well, that temper-tantrum won't throw itself, you know. <^_^>