Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Purplesid
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: The Thousand Mazy Paths
Artifact: Tricks

A Brief History of the World, Part I (Alternate Setting)

25 Feb 2007, 13:25

This is the background for an alternate setting for Exalted that's been kicking around in my head for a better part of a year. It draws on vanilla Exalted, but also on a half-dozen other settings I've delved into over the years (especially the setting of David Gemell's novel, "Echoes of the Great Song"). It's done in the style of an in-setting historical text.
[01:57] Zeal: "You know, you're right." Kash lowers his sword, drops out of the martial stance. "I don't know what the hell you are." He takes a step closer.
[01:58] Xilanada: Makarios smiles, seemingly pleased.
[01:58] Zeal: "I don't think something that's not human can technically be a gentleman, but let's talk. I'm sure we can come to a conclusion we'll both--"
[01:58] Zeal: (Rolling join battle)

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

25 Feb 2007, 13:25

From Akomenes' History of the World, in the Library of the Setting Sun at the city of Throne.

"It is said that in the beginning, when our world first rose from the void, there were gods. Not only the gods below, with which even the rudest peasant is accquainted, but gods above as well. Gods which shaped the the newborn world as a sculptor works his clay. It is said that these gods created man and beast and fish and fowl, and all else within the world. These things are said, but in these days none know the truth of it.

What is known is that there came a day when the shaping of the world ceased. The gods above, whatever they were, left our realm for a new one. However, before they truly abandoned their workings, they presented a gift to the race of men. Amongst the people of the far West, across the sea, were chosen a thousand strong souls (five hundred men and five hundred women), and to these thousand were given powers beyond the ken of mortals. The thousand, who would be called the Chosen, were capable of the highest feats of artifice, the greatest deeds in battle, and the keenest insight into the workings of the universe. They could feel the flows of the world's Essence and could siphon it into their very souls, purifying it there for use in fueling their miracles. Perhaps greatest of all, the Chosen aged not one day after the moment of their transformation. Across the sea in the furthest west, where the Chosen first rose, they united humanity against the beasts and monstrous kingdoms of the world. They carved an empire from the wilderness with might and and cunning and the power of the gods, and they called it the Realm.

In lands far to their south, however, a force had grown in counter to the Chosen. Born of men, these folk filtered their power through the lenses of rock and tree and water rather than distill it into raw cosmic force as did the souls of the Chosen. These avatars of nature became known as the Aspects for the five aspects of nature they emulated--earth, fire, air, water and wood. The Aspects lived in harmony with the small gods, and led the peoples of their far-off lands in veneration of those spirits and of nature itself. They built an empire as well, for though their powers and lifespans were less than those of the Chosen, they passed their natures on through their blood to be reborn with the next generation. With their numbers and their spirit patrons the domain of the Aspects grew as broad as the Realm, if not as glorious.

For the empire of the Chosen reached heights undreamed-of by its southern neighbors, spreading across the land, raising towers of glass and steel to scrape the belly of the sky itself. They built ships which sailed without sails, or which flew through the skies like birds; blades which cut through solid rock as knives through cream; armor which gave the wearer the strength of ten men and made him proof against the mightiest of blows; and they created more wonders still for the mortals in their care, who lived lives of ease and prosperity which we, in our benighted age, cannot but dream of. Though some hundred of the Chosen fell over the course of their age, the remainder carried on fearlessly. They sent expeditions into the south and the lands of the Aspects, and across the sea to where our ancestors dwelled--and where we now dwell today. Colonies were established, wars fought with our barbarous forefathers and the fierce warriors of the aspects. It seemed as though all the world would bow before the Chosen--until one day, when the Void ripped holes in the skies. Without warning, without preamble, the greatest peril ever to beset our world vomited itself from the clear air. The Invasion, of which all men dread to speak, descended upon all."
[01:57] Zeal: "You know, you're right." Kash lowers his sword, drops out of the martial stance. "I don't know what the hell you are." He takes a step closer.
[01:58] Zeal: "I don't think something that's not human can technically be a gentleman, but let's talk. I'm sure we can come to a conclusion we'll both--"

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

26 Feb 2007, 12:27

Ooh, neat.

I always like a good alternate setting. When does part II pop up?
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

26 Feb 2007, 12:54

This afternoon.

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

26 Feb 2007, 22:56

Except instead of the afternoon it will be sometime later this week, because of midterms/procrastination.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

26 Feb 2007, 23:26

Interesting. Any particular reason for choosing the West and South as your cradles of life?

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Zeal
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

27 Feb 2007, 08:39

No particular symbolic reason, really. I made the continents of this world in FractalMapper, a program for making RPG maps, and those directions ended up holding the continents for the Chosen and the Aspects. I should note, though, there are people on continents to the east of those two which will be much expanded upon in the next part. The Western lands just happened to get Exalts is all.