Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 9: Detour

28 Feb 2007, 15:07

“You know, I could teach you a real martial arts style.” Cathak Damian and Tepet Fokuf were slipping from their training grounds back into Fokuf’s quarters, their daily training complete. The regent shook his head at Damian’s comment, with a slim smile.

“I’ll have you know that Panic Monkey Style is an ancient and respectable art, with a long and glorious tradition.”

“A long and glorious tradition of running around like an idiot.” Damian shrugged. It was an old argument. “You look like a fool whenever you use it.”

“If I had a problem with looking like a fool, I wouldn’t be the regent.” Fokuf grinned when Damian rolled his eyes. “Besides, it’s useful. If I do get into a fight, and I win it, no one is going to come out of it thinking, ‘That regent, he’s sure a master of combat’.”

“No, that’s certainly true.” Damian sighed. “Millennia of wisdom distilled into your Essence, and THAT is what you remember.”

“Useful.” With that comment, Fokuf winked and slipped through the door into his chambers, leaving Damian standing outside. As he strolled out of his bedroom towards his desk, he chuckled. Despite Damian’s dislike for the style, he truly did find it worth using. It never hurt to be unanticipated.

“Master Fokuf.”

And speaking of unanticipated… Fokuf didn’t have to feign surprise, for a change. It was rare enough for anyone to be waiting in his study; his guards usually discouraged them, even if they could be bothered to wait on him – instead of the other way around. And these two had been completely silent, and sat far enough back that Fokuf had missed them entirely. He let out a slight yelp, spinning towards the source of the sound, to find Senator Cynis Majara sitting quietly in a chair with her manservant standing behind her. The senator, one of Cynis’s grand-daughters and a recent addition to the Deliberative, was wearing her traditional green vestments, as though dressed to go riding, and she looked to be on the verge of tears. Fokuf had seen her many times before – had even gone to the same primary school as . Fokuf carefully gathered his Essence around himself, and nodded to her nervously. “Madame Majara. What an… unexpected… why are you here? Did I forget an appointment? Would you like some tea?”

“No, no appointment. No one knows that we’re here. Tea would be lovely.” The man stepped forwards as Majara spoke, taking a cup from Fokuf and handing it to his mistress. The regent sat down thoughtfully, taking a careful sip.

“What’s all this about, Majara? We haven’t spoken in years, not since…” Fokuf trailed off, and Majara winced.

“Since your cousin died. I know. I just… I don’t have anywhere else to turn, and Paar – that’s Paar, there – well, it’s sort of complicated…”

Fokuf kept a confused but pleasant expression on his face. “I’m not sure what I can do to help, Majara. Do you need a bill passed to free him?”

Majara’s expression turned stormy for a moment, and then she shook her head again, tears forming. “No! I need to get him off the Isle, and quickly! And without anyone knowing! Fokuf, you have to swear to secrecy.”

Increasingly mystified, Fokuf nodded. “Of course. But I can’t… Majara, I know that I’m the regent, but you must know what that means. I sign things. That’s about it. Why do you need Paar here to leave, and why can’t you do it yourself?”

“He… I was attacked. He saved my life. But… there are…” Majara trailed off again, uncertain. “I can’t protect him. Not from this.”

“Right.” Fokuf raised an eyebrow. “And I can help because…”

Paar finally spoke up. The young man’s voice was surprisingly forceful; Fokuf would have expected something more passive from one of Majara’s boys. “I was told that you could help me.”

“Really.” This was problematic. “By whom?”

“The Sun.”

Fokuf’s teacup clattered against the floor, spilling. He absently noted that it was quite sturdy. He also noted that while Majara looked horrified at the boy’s statement, she didn’t look surprised. After a moment, he found his voice. “The Sun?”

“The Sun.”

“Talk to it often, do you?”

Paar didn’t laugh. “Twice. He spoke to me. He told me you could take me to where I needed to be.”

“Hm.” Fokuf sat back, thoughtfully. “This is… unusual.”

“I know.” Majara’s voice was barely above a whisper. “I know that I cut you off after Vallen died. But I can’t let Paar die for protecting me. I don’t know what you can do, but…”

Fokuf stood, abruptly. “Alright. Paar, you’ll be out of the city by this time tomorrow night. I wouldn’t mind hearing what else the sun told you.” He looked over to Majara. “This won’t be easy. But I think I can do it. Paar had better stay here until he leaves. If you have any farewells to say, now’s the time; I don’t think I’ll be able to engineer another meeting before he leaves.”

Majara blinked. The sudden transformation caught her off-guard, but she nodded faintly. Fokuf stepped off to one side, politely pretending to read a scroll as the two spoke softly. When Majara nodded to him again, he walked back over.

“Thank you, Fokuf. Anything you want…”

“We’ll see.” Fokuf smiled. “If you really want to help me, a sudden conversion to Nagazzer wouldn’t hurt.” Majara blinked again, and Fokuf chuckled. “Never mind. Be well, Majara.” She nodded, started to say something else, and then turned and slipped out the door. He didn’t know how she had avoided the guards, but he imagined that Essence was involved.

With her gone, Fokuf turned back to Paar. “Alright. I have a suspicion, but this might go easier without her. Show me your caste.”

Paar hesitated, and then nodded. After a moment, a golden sunburst started to glitter on his forehead.

Fokuf frowned thoughtfully. “Hoo boy. This is going to be fun…”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

28 Feb 2007, 17:20

Did I mention how much I like your take on Fokuf?

Seriously.

Great dialogue. I enjoy this series the more I read it.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

28 Feb 2007, 19:53

It really is a fun take on Fokuf. I was just so used to thinking of him as an idiot that it kinda took me by surprise the first time. I, too, enjoy this the more I read it.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

28 Feb 2007, 20:11

Yurgen Kaneko conquers the world and comes to the Blessed Isle to take his throne...

Only to have Fokuf's ass in it, with a big shit-eating grin on his face.

Go the Eclipse!
My fiction: Please read it and leave feedback, or you'll make this poor Aspergers girl cry.

http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2798

War Games: DotFA series:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6885

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

28 Feb 2007, 20:13

Morninglight wrote:
Yurgen Kaneko conquers the world and comes to the Blessed Isle to take his throne...

Only to have Fokuf's ass in it, with a big shit-eating grin on his face.

Go the Eclipse!

"Just keep on walking, Yurgen."

Gaelic Ninja
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Writer of Words Wrought on Creation
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: Melee
Artifact: Storyteller Pen

01 Mar 2007, 15:42

I wanna see a write up on Panic Monkey Style now.

Fokuf is one of my favorite characters now, just for that.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

01 Mar 2007, 18:11

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Gaelic Ninja
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Writer of Words Wrought on Creation
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: Melee
Artifact: Storyteller Pen

02 Mar 2007, 00:10

BrilliantRain wrote:

Thanks, dude. Now I can build that Vash character I've always wanted >.>

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

03 Mar 2007, 00:29

Yeah, I've been looking for an excuse to add that style to a character for months, now.

Just wait until we reach actual 'badass' kung-fu scenes. Which, admittedly, will be a while yet.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".