Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 12: Curveballs

06 Mar 2007, 12:07

Cathak Damian looked down at the missive, and rubbed his forehead. The accusing paper sat mute on his desk. After a few moments, he looked up at Twice-Breathing Millia, who shrugged helplessly. “This was on your desk?”

“Shoved into a pile of reports.” Millian shook her head. “It’s dated the 11th of Resplendent Earth, but I don’t think it’s been there a whole week, yet. Maybe three days.” She sighed. “I almost passed it straight to the Bureau of Battles, but then I remembered that Cathak Citrios was one of your projects…”

“Yeah, he’s supposed to take over the house in a decade or two.” Damian read over the battle report again. “I’m in trouble.”

“You are?” Millia raised an eyebrow, and leaned over. “Because his concubine Exalted?”

“His concubine that I provided.” Millia turned to stare at Damian, and he sighed, rubbing his forehead. “She was one of those mortals that has an instinctively connection to the Loom. Saw hints of the future, and I figured that dream manipulation could help him both in seeing real threats, and in us pointing him in the right direction. Only now…”

“Now he’s vanished.”

“Yeah.” Damian read the missive a third time. It stubbornly refused to change. Cathak Citrios had taken part in a Wyld Hunt against his former mentor, and in the middle of the fighting, his slave had Exalted as a Solar, beaten back the hunt, and fled with the mentor. As soon as he had healed, Citrios had gone after them. Alone. “What the hell is he thinking?”

Millia patted him on the shoulder. “He’ll be alright.”

“No, he won’t.” Damian closed his eyes. “Either he’s going to fight them, or join them. If it’s the former, he’s dead. If it’s the latter, he’s gone. Cyrus is going to murder me.”

“Well…” Millia sighed, and flopped into a seat opposite Damian. “You have backup successors, don’t you?”

“Oh, yes. One dead, one’s a monk.” Damian’s jaw clenched. If Cyrus decided to look into his other projects based on the disaster that was this one, he might find Fokuf. And then it would all fall apart…

“Mm.” Millia sat thoughtfully. “That is bad. Sounds like you need a new house leader, and fast.”

Damian opened his eyes cautiously. “You sound like you have an idea.”

“Maybe a little one.” Millia grinned suddenly. “Although it’ll take some fancy footwork, and I swear I wasn’t planning this.”

“Why do you feel that you have to swear that?”

Millia tapped the table nervously. “I sort of… already know a member of House Cathak. In Greyfalls. He’s pretty capable. Give him a few years, he could start organizing the house really well, and…”

“Name.”

“Cathak Tyr.” Millian smiled innocently as Damian frowned thoughtfully. Then his expression turned from thoughtful to disbelieving.

“Tyr? The man’s practically a heretic! Didn’t he almost get disbarred for letting an Anathema slip through his lines? If they’d been able to prove…” Damian trailed off, suddenly remembering an earlier conversation, and his eyes narrowed again. “Why Tyr?”

“He’s a good man, earlier things or not. He just made a little mistake.” Millia glanced down. “And, uh, he sort of already knows about Sidereals, so he might co-operate.” She looked up to meet Damian’s level stare. After a moment, the older Sidereal sighed.

“Why do I get the feeling that I’ve walked into a long story?” He waved a hand. “Never mind, I don’t want to hear it. I doubt it has any bearing on what’s going on right now.” He sighed. “Alright, Millia, you can arrange for Tyr to get assigned back to the Imperial City, and I’ll start trying to twitch things his way.”

“Great!” Millia grinned widely, and stood to leave. Damian raised a hand.

“Before I forget – how’s the Iselsi thing doing?”

“Ohh.” Millia stopped. “Um… Master Cyrus told me he could handle it.”

“Did he.” Damian’s jaw clenched, and then he sighed. “Yeah, he would. Millia, Cyrus always says that he can handle things. He can’t admit that he’s got too much work. Track them down anyway, just don’t mention it to him.” He paused. “Actually, no. This Tyr thing is more important. When you’ve got that settled, start tracking the Iselsi. It can wait a few months.” He sighed, rubbing his forehead. “Too much work, Millia.”

“I know, sir.” She smiled again. “We’d just get bored, otherwise.”

“Oh, probably.” Damian sat back in his chair as Millia left. Frequently, he found himself thinking that boredom probably wouldn’t be nearly that bad.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

06 Mar 2007, 16:46

The Sidereals should know by now that the Iselsi always bear watching.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

06 Mar 2007, 23:19

Pssh. What could they possibly do that would cause problems?

Anyway, everything is under control. :P
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

07 Mar 2007, 00:45

I suppose you have a point. After all, it's not like the Iselsi run the All-Seeing Eye, control a number of high ranking Immaculates, and have had 500 years to become really good at being sneaky bastards or anything.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?