Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 14: What To Do

08 Mar 2007, 20:28

And the last part of Chapter 2. Next, back to In Which for a chapter, then Red Sky, then back here...

-----
Mnemon wasn’t thinking about politics at the moment that she entered her palatial bedroom. Instead, she was simply thinking about going to sleep before anything else happened this night.

It was thus something of a surprise for her to remove her tiara, turn to place it on the bed, and find Perfected Tears Upon Alabaster Sorrows less than three inches from her face.

Mnemon backpedalled in surprise. The deathknight, whom she had always seen calm and collected, was anything but. There was a fervour in his eyes that frightened her, and she subtly motioned for a pair of demons to slide themselves between her and him, ready to materialize if he made any sudden motions. “What are you doing here?”

“It was too much to wait.” Sorrows started to laugh, and then cut himself off abruptly, spinning and pacing to the bed. “Much too much. So much…” He stopped. “I don’t know what to do, I always know…” Abruptly, he turned back to Mnemon. “Tell me, if you could kill the Roseblack and her armies – right now, this very instant – would you?”

“We’ve been over this.” Annoyance tinged Mnemon’s voice. The last thing she needed amongst all her other problems was an Anathema in the midst of a nervous breakdown. “The Roseblack is nothing but a symbol being propped up by my true opponents. Anyone who believes that I could not kill her if I wished dreadfully undervalues my capabilities.” She shook her head brusquely. “Besides, she will be extremely useful when I become Empress. Now, if that is all…”

“Not all. Not by far.” Sorrow’s gaze held her for a moment – the depths of uncertainty there transfixed her, his soul laid bare without any of his usual covers or platitudes. “The Mask. Your hated ally. If you could destroy him tonight, would you?”

“What?” Mnemon’s eyebrows rose. “That’s ridiculous. As you said, he is my ally. In fact, as long as the Sidereals oppose me, he will be all but critical to my proper rise.” She frowned suddenly. “What is this about?”

“You hate him.” It was not a question, and Mnemon did not deign to answer it. “So do I.” This was a surprise, and Mnemon’s expression clearly showed her puzzlement. Sorrows managed a bitter smile. “Oh, he knows. It amuses him. Placing his least loyal deathknight in proximity with an ally he cannot trust. He hopes I will try to betray him, and thus doom myself and you. But he’s already failed. I can hide my thoughts from him, and he never realized it. I’ve done it before – sabotaged plans that would have helped him greatly, and cast the blame on others. But not like this. Nothing like this.” His voice dropped. “I can’t do it alone. I don’t even know if I want to. If I tell him… the rewards will be vast. But if I don’t…”

“Don’t WHAT?” Mnemon’s frustration exploded outwards. “Get control of yourself!”

Sorrow refocused on her, and he nodded once. A fraction of his normal composure returned. “I can’t decide, so I choose not to. I leave the choice to you. With you, success is all but guaranteed. Without… well, as I say it will be your choice.” In answer to her barely-concealed exasperation, he grinned suddenly. “Bear with me. This is worth your time.”

Pacing back to the bed, he sat down heavily on it. Mnemon watched him cautiously. “You see, I’ve just been from Fokuf’s little war council. They are beginning preparations for war. As Calibration dawns this year, the Roseblack is going to lead her armies against the Mask of Winters.”

“That’s madness!” Mnemon’s outburst surprised her, and she fought to control her emotions. “They’ll murder their own protégé!”

“No. They’ll win.” Sorrow laughed again. “They’ve discovered the secret, you see. They have the power to destroy the Mask of Winters forever, and if he marches to battle unaware of it, they will win. He will be destroyed.” He paused. “And I will be free of his dominance, his punishments, his endless idiocy.” His gaze caught Mnemon’s. “And your rival will have all the credit she needs to take the throne.”

Mnemon’s breath caught in her throat as she contemplated it. “Dragons above…”

“But if he is warned, the Mask will be prepared when he marches. The Roseblack’s armies will be slaughtered. The armies of the dead will swell. Your rival will be destroyed… and the pride of the Realm’s legions with her.” Sorrows smiled bitterly at Mnemon. “The Mask will be extremely grateful to the ones who save his unlife. Us.” As Mnemon put out a hand against the table to steady herself, Sorrow looked down at his hands. “I don’t have the will to choose. I can’t. So you choose.” He looked up again, and his eyes were lit with a hint of madness. “What will it be, mistress? Will you destroy your rival, and the Realm with her, or will you step aside and give the Realm you desire to her?”

Mnemon stood stock-still, contemplating the two futures spreading out before her.

Until she spoke, even she did not know what she would say.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

08 Mar 2007, 20:40

What a mind fuck that is. I can sympathize with her (for once) that is an excrutiatingly tough choice.

Way to go Friv!
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

08 Mar 2007, 23:50

So, I've finally gotten started with Babylon 5 recently, and I'm about halfway through the second season. This reminds me of the sneaky guy and his offer to Molari.

One hopes that Mnemon would make the right choice (save the Realm), but given her history of creating messes and getting lots of people killed just so she can have what she wants (she got the Versino destroyed just to gank the Emerald Thurible), I'm expecting her to damn herself and side with MoW.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

08 Mar 2007, 23:54

BrilliantRain wrote:
I'm expecting her to damn herself and side with MoW.

I'm in agreeance. I believe she'll make the selfish choice regardless and to hell with the consequences.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

09 Mar 2007, 00:05

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:
I'm expecting her to damn herself and side with MoW.

I'm in agreeance. I believe she'll make the selfish choice regardless and to hell with the consequences.

Actually, I expect her to rationalize it almost as well as Chejop instead of going "I want this so I'm gonna do it and to hell with the consequences!"

That second part would actually be honest, you see.
Last edited by BrilliantRain on 09 Mar 2007, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mod Text is in Green

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

09 Mar 2007, 00:11

You know, I once devised a prophesy about the Scarlet Throne. I remain fairly confidant that Mnemon would not make a good Empress, because too many people hate her and she doesn't have the defense grid. While the Roseblack is a great general, I don't know if she has the political savvy to successfully hold and govern the Empire. And we certainly don't want the Old Empress back. So I feel safe in generalizing this to "The Empire will fall should a Red-Haired Woman ascend the throne."

Mod Text is in Green

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

09 Mar 2007, 00:14

BrilliantRain wrote:
"The Empire will fall should a Red-Haired Woman ascend the throne."

Seeing as both Mnemon and the Roseblack both sport red hair.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

09 Mar 2007, 07:23

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:
"The Empire will fall should a Red-Haired Woman ascend the throne."

Seeing as both Mnemon and the Roseblack both sport red hair.

"You can't be on the throne; your hair is pink."

"It is not pink! It is a very light red!"

"Yeah... pink."

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

09 Mar 2007, 11:44

BrilliantRain wrote:
So, I've finally gotten started with Babylon 5 recently, and I'm about halfway through the second season. This reminds me of the sneaky guy and his offer to Molari.

One hopes that Mnemon would make the right choice (save the Realm), but given her history of creating messes and getting lots of people killed just so she can have what she wants (she got the Versino destroyed just to gank the Emerald Thurible), I'm expecting her to damn herself and side with MoW.

Man, now I'm replacing Molari with Mnemon in my head and changing all the great quotes to match.

(MINOR B5 SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE TECHNOMAGE YET)

"I see a great hand reaching from the Imperial Mountain. I see millions of people calling out your name."
"My followers?"
"No, Lady Mnemon. Your victims."
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".