Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

15. In Which Duty Is Discussed

28 Mar 2007, 16:11

This, incidentally, is the last segment in Chapter 2 of In Which.

Next, we finally return to Red Sky At Night and see what they're up to. ;)

-----

“So you see why it’s important for you to come with us.” Nash, having wrapped up his ‘Defenders of Creation and Guardians of Fate’ speech, made careful eye contact with Millia. “In fact,” he added with a sidelong glance, “we usually prefer to make our case alone with the new Sidereal.” Alakazar, leaning against the wall, studiously ignored the comment, while Serafin simply smiled blandly.

“Well, you’re making the case alone with the new Sidereal and her foster parents.” Millia’s features were a study in perfect innocence, and Nash’s slight frown failed to make so much as a mark on her enthusiasm. She turned away from him for a moment, and her face fell as she looked at the two beings who she had come to call parents. It was only for a moment, but Serafin saw the uncertainty and worry there before Millia’s usual cheerful disposition forced itself back onto her face.

“Well, it looks like I’m going to have to get used to a third home.” There wasn’t much passion behind the quip, and Serafin quickly stepped forwards and gathered her foster daughter into a hug. After a moment, Serafin whispered quietly.

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

“I don’t.” Millia smiled again, tears welling in her eyes. “I’d like to just stay here forever. But I remember enough of my last incarnation to know that’s not an option. I have a duty.” She kissed her mother on the cheek, and stepped backwards. “You understand.”

“A sacred calling.” Alakazar stepped forwards, with a nod, and kissed Millia on the forehead. “You have always been such a brave child. How could you be otherwise, now?” He sighed heavily. “I fear it is my fate to have those I love leave me.”

Serafin punched him in the arm, and he staggered slightly. “I was gone for three months.”

“You leave so often, though.” Alakazar’s clearly faked mournful expression drew laughter from both women, and he turned to Nash. “Surely, however, our young ward can leave tomorrow instead of today. We must have time to give her a proper sending off.”

Nash nodded, after a moment. “That shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Good, because it wasn’t a request.” Alakazar smiled brightly. “You will join us, of course.” Nash blinked, and then nodded again, looking slightly confused, which drew a wider smile from the raksha. “If you will excuse me, I must inform the staff.” With that comment, he inclined his head and withdrew from the room.

“Millia, why don’t you go tell the others you’re going to be leaving.” Serafin smiled brightly, giving her daughter another hug. “I’m just going to chat with Nash for a moment, alright?”

Millia nodded, and turned to leave. She paused, turned back, bowed to Nash, turned back, and hurried from the room. Nash bowed in return, straightening as he turned towards Serafin. “What did you want to speak ab-oof!”

With a single, fluid motion, Serafin lifted the Sidereal by his collar and slammed him into the wall of the room. Dust settled from the wall, and Nash’s vision blurred for a moment from the surprising strength of the blow. The little woman stood there for a moment, looking up at the Sidereal. “You murdered her parents.”

“I have… no idea what… you are talking…”

Serafin cut off the labored reply. “Don’t treat me like a fool. Sidereal shards enter the soul at birth, not at Exaltation. You people track them ALWAYS. There is no. Possible. Way. That she could have been attacked by the fae without you discovering it immediately. And yet, somehow, she stayed with Lord Mallin for over a week before we rescued her, after they butchered her entire village.” Her voice lowered to a hiss. “You knew we were coming. You let her village die because you wanted to have a Sidereal become close to our Court, so that you could decide whether or not we were a threat.”

“If you could… lower me…” Serafin let go of Nash with a single motion, and he dropped to the floor. Smoothing his shirt, he tried to keep his expression calm. “You’re half right, as it happens. But you’ve gotten it backwards. I didn’t send Mallin towards Millia. I sent you.” He met her grim-faced gaze with a stony look of his own. “Millia’s village was the smallest in the area that Mallin roamed. I did try to divert his attention there, but only because it was the least amount of destruction that I could manage. And then I arranged matters for you to get the information you needed to reach Mallin, so that you could save Millia. I hoped that you would take care of her from there, but it was not the goal.”

“You could have stopped him yourself.” Serafin glared at Nash, who took a half-step away, keeping his expression as neutral as possible.

“You overestimate me. I’m the only Sidereal assigned to this region, and believe me when I tell you that you have a good eighty years of experience over me – and many of my abilities work poorly against those outside the Loom of Fate. I would have been killed, and Millia’s town would still have died.” He sniffed. “You live in a world of stories, Madame Serafin. But Creation does not follow narrative laws. Indomitable spirit is not, in fact, a match for experience and power. I did what I had to, and I’m not about to apologize for it. I did not enjoy it, but it was a necessary sacrifice.”

“Fine.” Serafin drew closer, her eyes narrowed to slits. “But you should know – if any of you decide that Millia is a ‘necessary sacrifice’, I will know. I’m not going to forget her, and I’m not going to forget you. And I will make sure that whomever is responsible will bleed for it.”

“Noted.” Nash smiled shakily. “Is that all?”

“For now.” In a moment, Serafin’s expression melted into a friendly, welcoming one, and she patted the Sidereal on the arm. “If you’re going to stay the night, you’ll need a room. Come on. I’ll take you to the guest suites.”

As they left the room, Nash chuckled nervously. “You can be a very frightening woman.”

Serafin smiled brightly. “I know.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

28 Mar 2007, 16:16

"Want to see my Raksi impression?"

"Ah, not really."

"Spoil sport."

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

28 Mar 2007, 21:28

Good story as always Friv. One does not mess with the overprotective Lunar. It isn't wise.

There is a part of me that wants to insist that Raksi should have a squirrel totem, but I know that even saying that out loud will just cause me to get...

*user has mysteriously disconnected*

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?