Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 22: Romance

03 Apr 2007, 16:12

The room was absolutely still. Citrios, Lodaris, and Alina knelt in front of the table, three cups of tea sitting untouched in front of them. The air was heavy with unspoken words, hopes and fears swirling together.

Finally, it was Citrios who broke the silence. “Why didn’t you tell me the truth, Sifu?”

“Which truth?” Lodaris’s voice was gruff. “About why I left?”

“About the Order.” Citrios looked halfway towards Alina, then quickly returned his gaze to his old master. “About the Exalted.”

There was a slight intake of breath from Lodaris. “I would not have had you follow me in this, Citrios. You deserved better.” He paused. “I know how I learned? Who told you?”

Citrios looked down. Taking a sip of tea, he sighed quietly. “After Alina rescued you, I began making inquiries. You already know how deeply I have studied the paths of the Anathe… of the Celestials. Deeply enough that I found inconsistencies, knew that there were secrets being covered. That our sorcery was first crafted by the Solars, not by Mela, that many of the great devices that we use were theirs as well, and not forged by the Dragons. I had assumed that these secrets were kept in order to keep the masses from worrying.” He looked up. “But my second search brought me to the attention of the one who helped you escape from the Isle, Sifu.”

Lodaris breathed out slowly. “The Watcher.” He frowned. “And just what did he tell you?”

“He told me about the lie that was the Anathema, and that you had learned of it in your time in the North. He told me not to search for you.” Citrios frowned slightly. “He said I wouldn’t remember him, but I do. Mostly. There’s some sort of magic about him that clouds specifics, though.”

“Hm, that’s the one.” Lodaris sat back thoughtfully, taking a sip of his own tea. “And, of course, having heard the story you hurried right here to discover for yourself if it was true.”

“Yes, I –” Citrios began to reply, but Lodaris cut him off.

“Did you stop to consider what light that casts you in, Citrios? You were already at risk after your teacher and slave absconded from your Wyld Hunt. Now you vanish after them?” He shook his head slowly. “I had hoped to guard you against my disgrace.”

“I don’t want to be protected, Sifu.” Citrios kept his face down.

“Clearly.” Lodaris stood suddenly, with a sigh. “Well, the damage has been done now. We are mere months away from what will likely be a cataclysmic battle, and your aid would be appreciated. You can see for yourself how truthful we are, I think. I should return to my students for the time being.” He bowed to Citrios, who bowed back from his seat.

“Of course, Sifu. I will endeavor not to interrupt you again.”

“I’m not your Sifu. You have clearly grown past that.” With that comment, Lodaris turned. The door whispered shut behind him.

This time, it was Alina who broke the silence, although her heart pounding in her chest felt louder than any drum. “I didn’t think that you’d come.”

“I guessed.” Citrios looked down. “How long ago did…”

“Two years.” Alina stared down at her hands, waiting for a comment. When none came, she dared a glance up, only to see Citrios looking downward just as resolutely. “I didn’t know how to say it.”

“You lied to me.” Citrios shook his head as Alina watched him. “What were you planning to do when we went after a Solar?”

Despair flared in Alina, but something else stirred under it. “I don’t know. I didn’t want to leave you.”

“I would have left with you, if you’d told me. Instead, you abused the trust that my teammates placed in me by spying on them.” Citrios looked up, meeting her eyes, his expression hard. “You betrayed us.”

Anger replaced despair, and Alina surged to her feet. “I protected you! There were a solid half-dozen times that people on that squad would have died if it weren’t for me!”

Citrios rose in response, leaning inwards. “You didn’t trust me! I thought that you believed in me!”

“Your entire life was dedicated to killing enemies of the Realm!” Alina waved a hand. “How could I know that you were as stupid as you were loyal?!”

“Fine!” Citrios spun around, stalking for the door. “I’m not here for you. I’m here for my Sifu. He, at least, never tricked me into living a lie!”

“Fine! I’ve been doing just fine without you!” Alina grabbed the teacup, throwing it at the closing door. It smashed against the frame, falling to the ground in a shower of ceramic shards. Turning, tears burning in the corner of her eyes, she kicked over the table in a surge of anger.

The door hissed open again, and she spun, ready to resume yelling. Twice-Forged Steel looked around the room, and down at the shattered glass, and raised an eyebrow. “Did I miss something important?”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

03 Apr 2007, 17:20

Ah, lover's quarrels. Steel, this is probably not a good time.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

03 Apr 2007, 18:34

First, I have to say MOAR Red Sky At Night! I love this story.

Second, your ability to interconnect stories and characters exceeds my own. Wow. How do you keep track of it all?

Great story!
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

03 Apr 2007, 19:09

fallstavia wrote:
Second, your ability to interconnect stories and characters exceeds my own. Wow. How do you keep track of it all?

Lots of free time at work. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".