Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 27: Visitation

12 Apr 2007, 15:24

Ladies and gentlemen, the final section of Part 3. Next, we return to In Which for Serafin's Chapter 3. ;)

-----

Alina dreamed.

It was a dark, moonless night, and she stood on the deck of the Realm warship, alone. In the distance, the crackling pulse of the Essence cannon was moving forwards, with dreamy slowness. She thought that perhaps she wanted to run, but she knew that she could not. The light from the approaching destruction cast the deck in a golden sheen, and she found it infinitely fascinating, a tide of destruction that would sweep over her and end her fears forever.

An arm clasped her shoulder, and Citrios stepped up to her side. He turned, keeping an arm draped across her shoulder, and used the other to lean on the railing of the ship. “You shouldn’t be here.”

“I know.” Alina watched the Essence blast approaching, feeling oddly detached. “But I can’t leave.”

“Hm.” Citrios nodded after a moment. “Four months is a long time to mourn people you never knew.”

“I don’t know if I’m mourning them. Just empathizing.” Alina sighed. The last four months, the frantic preparations, worrying every day that a Realm fleet would appear on the horizon and ruin everything. But the Realm fleets were occupied – the Roseblack was marching to war, and every ship was needed. Instead of a string of fights, the people of Juriss had found themselves with unending quiet, an ominous peace that couldn’t last. Now, it was Calibration. The sun had set on the year 768, and for five days, it would be dark. The first had passed peacefully, but Alina could feel the danger lurking.

Citrios nodded again, thoughtfully. “I know the feeling. Everything’s moving far too quickly for my liking.” He glanced sidelong at her. “I’m sorry.”

Alina laughed. “Sorry? This is my dream.” She stopped, and frowned. “A prophecy dream. This is no prophecy.”

“No.” Citrios chuckled sadly.

Alina stepped backwards quickly, sliding easily under his arm. He made no move to stop her. “Who are you?”

The intruder raised both arms. “A friend – one constrained by your dreams. This just happens to be the most comforting thing you can imagine.” He chuckled again. “It’s very sweet, and just a little sappy.”

Alina didn’t smile. “Who are you?”

The other sighed, and let form slip away. Now, there was only a shapeless presence on the deck with her. “I can’t shape myself. You have no experience with me.” It turned towards her. “Look. I can only appear to you because you’re naturally sensitive. It’s a loophole, one which Sol was exploiting for a while to improve your prophecies. But he can’t anymore. He’s not good enough at treading the boundary of what’s allowed. I am.” There was another chuckle.

Alina blinked. “Sol? The Unconquered Sun was sending me prophecy-dreams?” She frowned. “He wanted us in Juriss.”

“Such a bright girl.” The shape nodded once. “If there are more like you, I have high hopes for the Fourth Age.”

“What about the Third?” Alina glanced at the essence blast, still crawling across the waves.

“That one’s pretty much a write-off, I’m afraid.” The stranger leaned against the rail. “I don’t have much more time. There are three things that you have to know, and I can’t risk the usual cryptic crap. It works most of the time, and it’s a lot less dangerous, but this is too important.” Turning towards Alina, it shook its head. “First, don’t worry about the Realm forces. They’re not important. Secondly, you absolutely must trust Nganto, and believe what she tells you today – and follow her plan. Otherwise, you’ll all die.”

“And third?” Alina couldn’t keep a hint of skepticism from her face.

“Don’t face Dukantha. Just keep the blood apes away from Lodaris and Citrios, and let them do it.”

“What?!” Alina stepped forwards. “Why?”

“I can’t tell you that. The Geas constrains me.” The figure smiled again, which was impressive, as it had no face. “I hope that we might meet sometimes, Alina. It’s almost a shame that Sol got to you before I did.”

And Alina woke to find Citrios gently shaking her. “Alina?”

“Luna.” Alina swung out of bed. “Nganto’s coming.”

“She’s already here.” The words came from the doorway, as Nganto pushed into the room. “What about Luna?”

“I think… I think I just saw her.” Alina shook her head. “Never mind. I take it it’s urgent.”

“Fairly.” Nganto shook her head. “I went to seek audience with Leviathan. He was gone from Luthe, for the first time in over a thousand years. Next, I sought Eight Divine Eyes, the only other Lunar survivor of the First Age, and found that he had taken five elder Lunars and traveled into the depths of the Wyld. I tried to gather allies to fight the Lintha, only to learn that the Emperor Crowned With The Blood Of The Martyrs is sailing against Wavecrest. It’s like the whole West is going to Hell.”

“The whole world.” Alina spoke softly, and shook her head. “So we’re alone?”

“Not entirely. I’ve convinced four Lunars to attack the edges of the Lintha fleet, and draw off ships and soldiers. But we’re out of time.” Nganto’s voice was ominous. “Dukantha has set sail from Bluehaven. He’ll be here in two days. And the Lintha sail with him.”

“How many?” Citrios’s expression was intent, but it couldn’t match the bleak despair that filtered into Nganto’s in response.

“All of them.” As Citrios and Alina gaped, she shook her head. “Over a thousand ships loaded with sailors are heading towards Juriss even as we speak.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

12 Apr 2007, 23:20

Bah. Wasn't it you who told me I don't write anything small? Look who's talking!

Kickass, though. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing how all these threads weave together.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

12 Apr 2007, 23:53

fallstavia wrote:
Bah. Wasn't it you who told me I don't write anything small? Look who's talking!

Kickass, though. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing how all these threads weave together.

Clearly, we are in a race to see who gets to blow up Creation first.

;)

Only five chapters to go... :twisted:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

13 Apr 2007, 00:06

You know, most people just stick to blowing up Gem.

Although I admit that the first Exalted game I ran probably would have involved Creation and the Underworld combining into a giant Shadowland at some point as part of MoW and the Green Lady's plan to destroy the Neverborn and the Great Curse, so I guess I can't really point fingers.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

13 Apr 2007, 07:50

I wouldn't sweat it.

This is Exalted. If all of Creation is at stake, you're probably doing something right.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories