Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

18. In Which Enemies Meet

20 Apr 2007, 13:44

As he sat at his desk, trying to keep his patience intact, Cathak Tyr thought back on his life, and wondered how he had offended the Dragons so thoroughly.

In truth, he didn’t have to think for long. From the early days, when he had Exalted as an Air aspect instead of a Fire, through his natural fondness for the mechanisms of the bureaucracy instead of the martial ambitions his parents attempted vainly to instill in him, he had been a disappointment. His lackluster performance during the 23rd Legion’s northern wars, culminating in the disaster when a Lunar Anathema successfully evaded the Wyld Hunt, slipped past his own soldiers, and escaped to freedom, had not made him a great deal of friends. Honestly, being the adjunct for a Cathak general in a Nellens holding over three thousand miles away from the Blessed Isle was far more than he had expected after the court-martial concluded, and due almost entirely to his personal connections and influence with the Thousand Scales.

None of which made the man sitting on the other side of his desk easier to deal with. “I’m terribly sorry, Master Oramakos. But General Kitano is still occupied on the Eastern redoubts. There have been rumours of recent Fair Folk activity in the area, and he’s gone to investigate personally.” And I don’t care whose son you are, you bastard, there’s no way that you’re going out there to see him. When Oramakos had first arrived, he had been polite and understanding, even if he also exuded enough arrogance to make Mnemon flinch, and had seemed content to relax in Greyfalls and await Kitano’s return.

That had lasted about a day and a half.

“I’m well aware of the rumours, Adjunct.” Oramakos managed to fit a sneer onto the last word without breaking his stride. “But I was not under the impression that such an activity would take over two days to accomplish. It is a mere five miles away. Surely, my affairs are important enough…”

“General Kitano left clear instructions, sir.” There was a slight pressure at Tyr’s leg, and he glanced down to see a small cat pressing against it. He half-smiled, wondering how the little fellow had gotten all the way upstairs – but then, many of the locals swore by the creatures for pest control, and the sight was far from unusual. He bent down absently to pick it up, and it arched its back against his arm and purred as he pet it softly. “I have sent your request ahead via messenger, but his duties to the city must take priority. If you would be willing to explain in more detail…”

“This is a matter for his ears alone.” Oramakos didn’t flinch, although he shot the cat a suspicious look. The cat, perhaps sensing the man’s hostility, turned its expression towards the Dynast, its purr fading as it shifted away from him. Tyr barely managed to repress a sigh as the larger man stood. “Send another message, and make the general aware that this is an urgent matter.” Turning, he strode from the room.

Tyr muttered something under his breath, as the cat settled back into his lap. “Sorry you saw that, puss. Some people, eh?” He pulled out a piece of paper, drafting another message. It wouldn’t hurt to let Kitano know about the upset Dynast that would be impatiently waiting when he got back. If he knew the general, it might cause him to extend his inspection for two or three more days.

“There you are, Fina!” Tyr looked up in surprise at the woman’s voice. One of the servants was at the door, looking at him. For a disoriented moment, he recalled a very different woman with a very different voice, and wondered where the nickname had come from. Then the cat purred, hopped up from his lap onto his desk, and trotted over to the girl, who quickly moved forwards to scoop it off the desk. “I’m terribly sorry, your Lordship, I didn’t know she was in here. Don’t be angry.”

“I’m not, girl. Don’t worry.” Tyr chuckled faintly, waving a hand. “Just be careful. The general is less fond of animals.”

“Yessir.” The girl bobbed her head and turned to go, holding the cat tightly. It didn’t seem to mind, settling in as though it was born there.

“Wait.”

The serving girl froze. She turned slowly. “Yes, your Lordship?”

“Have we met?” Tyr scrutinized her face, thoughtfully. Yes, it definitely seemed familiar, although the race was wrong…

“No, sir. I mean, you may have seen me around, sir. I’ve been working here some time.”

“Hm.” Tyr frowned thoughtfully. “What’s your name, girl?”

“Fiona, sir.” The serving maid bobbed her head.

“Right. Sorry to keep you, miss Fiona. Carry on.” The girl nodded again and left in some haste. Tyr watched her leave thoughtfully.

Outside, the serving girl quickly turned down a side corridor, glancing around to ensure that no one was watching, and then set down the cat – who promptly grew and shifted, until Serafin was standing next to her daughter. “Fiona?”

“It was the only thing that sprang to mind.” Millia looked down the corridor jumpily. “Damn it, what is he doing here?”

“You know him?”

“He was the leader of that troop column. Remember, when you got me to help Shifting Sands?” She shook her head. “Of all the Yozi-cursed luck… did you get anything?”

“Too much.” Serafin’s expression turned grim. “Remember my Outworld-Forsaking Stance?”

“The one that protects you against mind control by demons and the like?” Millia raised an eyebrow.

“That’s the one. It triggered against Oramakos.” Serafin looked down the hallway. “He’s a creature of the darkness.”

“But he'd have to be...” Millia gasped. “He’s, like, fourth in line for control of House Sesus! I can’t imagine that he would…” She broke off, her expression turning suspicious. “I know you, Mom. There’s something more. Because why would anyone use mind control on a cat?”

“It was his eyes. An endless spiral of darkness hiding in his pupils.” Serafin shook her head distantly. “He didn’t have any choice about trying to conceal them. They were his Tell.”

There was a long pause, before Millia dared to speak. “A Lunar akuma?”

“Yes.”

Millia crumpled. “Oh, hells. And this was looking like such a nice assignment.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

20 Apr 2007, 18:51

Oy. Still I guessed right.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

24 Apr 2007, 02:13

Oh, yes, I also liked the Black Spiral reference.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

29 Apr 2007, 22:24

BrilliantRain wrote:
Oh, yes, I also liked the Black Spiral reference.

Oh nice, I didn't catch that.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"