Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 16: The Devil Discovered

16 May 2007, 14:46

“I hope that this is important, Millia.” Harakken Cyrus stepped through the doorway into Millia’s small office in Yu-Shan, and then paused. His gaze swept the room, his eyebrows raised. The younger Sidereal didn’t even notice, her attention firmly fixed on the scroll before her.

Other scrolls lined the walls, draped over bookcases and pinned loosely to pillars. It gave the room the impression of an ink-stained wallpaper, and Cyrus stepped over to one to glance it over. As near as he could tell, it dealt with the movements of a few Realm cargo ships, and he glanced back at Millia, who was belatedly reacting to his presence.

“Absolutely important, sir.” Millia paused, and swallowed. “In fact, this might just be the most important thing to happen in the last seven hundred years.” Cyrus’s eyebrows climbed into his hair, and she continued hurriedly. “I know, I know. But this… sir, you know that I’ve been tracking the Iselsi recently.”

Cyrus harrumphed. “I’m quite aware of your pet project, Millia. And I appreciate the assistance, but I hardly think…”

“Sir, please.” Millia gestured to the papers. “I was using the Loom to track them at first, but their movements were erratic. Really erratic. As though someone – or something – was keeping them hidden.”

Cyrus’s protests drained away. Suddenly intent, he walked around the table to get a closer look at the calculations that Millia had been completing when he entered. “There isn’t much that can hide someone from the Loom, Millia. Not after they’ve acted.”

“The Wyld. The Yozi. The Underworld. Sidereals.” Millia ticked off the four possible causes on her fingers. “I know. At first, I assumed that it was someone using astrology to disguise their movements. I couldn’t imagine why, though, so I kept looking.”

Cyrus’s eyes never left the calculations. “Continue.”

“The more I studied it, the less likely it became. It started to look more like…” Millia paused. “Well, like they wanted it to look like astrology. That someone was directing these movements from outside of fate.” Standing, she walked over to one wall, pointing to a series of lines. “I started at the bottom, the lowest-ranked members of the House, and worked my way up every line. And every time, the same thing happened?”

Cyrus breathed out slowly, already seeing the arcs that she had described. “They fade out.”

“Completely.” Millia swallowed again, her voice dropping tremulously. “Sir, every last high-ranking member of House Iselsi has moved outside of fate over the last hundred years.”

“Akuma.” The word was whispered, but Millia nodded.

“It has to be. The fae can’t reach the Blessed Isle, and the dead can’t move others into their own sphere without – well, without killing them.” She gestured around the room. “I think House Iselsi has been corrupted. Entirely.”

“I see.” Cyrus stepped forwards again, walking around the room as he studied the numerous fate-lines that Millia had painstakingly arranged. “I presume you have made a copy of all of this and stored it somewhere safe?”

“Well… I have backups, but I don’t think…” Millia trailed off at Cyrus’s grim expression. “I missed something, didn’t I?”

“There is astrology in place. Not to hide them – to hide that they are missing. Someone has been working to keep the Iselsi’s nature hidden from the Loom. A Sidereal.”

Millia shook her head. “A Sidereal akuma? I can’t believe…”

“Damian has been oddly reserved of late.” Cyrus’s voice cut through her statement. “There is his mysterious contact with Mokrelus, his obsession with the regent, his many disappearances. He told me that he would look after the Iselsi, and then passed the duty on to a subordinate.” He paused. “It might not be him. But it does seem suspicious, doesn’t it?”

“He wouldn’t.” Millia shook her head, then looked at the fatelines with less certainty. “He believes in the Dynasty.”

“A puppet-regent, backed by House Iselsi’s assassins, could fortify the Dynasty against collapse. People have fallen for less noble goals.” Cyrus shook his head, stone-faced. “Regardless, I must agree with your theory. The Iselsi are akuma. We must inform Kejak immediately.”

“Right.” Millia stepped towards the door, put a hand on the handle. She stopped, with a thoughtful frown. Glancing downwards, then started to turn back towards Cyrus, a confused expression on her face.

Blood dripped on the floor.

The second knife thrust took her between the ribs.

Cyrus released his Amethyst Slayer Of Trust form and caught her as she fell, lowering her gently to the floor.

“Why…?” Millia’s voice was faint.

“Hush.” With a sad smile, Cyrus laid his hands on her forehead. “Sleep now, child. The pain is over.” He leaned in closer. “Let your troubles cease. You have done magnificently, more than I ever could have believed.”

“The Iselsi… the akuma…” Her eyes were unfocused, and Cyrus watched the light fading.

“All dealt with. Everything is going to be alright.”

A faint smile touched the girl’s lips, and then her eyes closed. For a moment, Cyrus knelt with her head in his lap, his eyes tightly shut. Then, slowly, he stood, carefully setting Millia’s head on the ground.

“Forgive me, child. I would have preferred to use someone else – I had expected it to be Damian that died. But one works with the tools that are granted to us.” Cyrus looked around the room. “Sleep now, Millia. Gain the eternal rest denied those of us who must press onwards.”

And then, slowly, with utmost care, he set to work destroying the fatelines on the wall.
Last edited by Friv on 18 May 2007, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

16 May 2007, 15:10

TEAMKILLING COCKBITE >:<

Haha, good chapter regardless. (I've been reading, just not commenting much, especially this week. ;)) Poor Millia though! I like her. D:
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

16 May 2007, 15:35

One can only hope her mother finds out what he did...

And I really liked her too. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like she will get to be Thrice Breathing Millia. Cursed Akuma Jerk!

And now he is going to frame her for something too!

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

16 May 2007, 15:37

Is someone going to get Serafin-ed? Because I think someone might get Serafin-ed. And Alakazar-ed.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

16 May 2007, 23:01

Friv, I admire your ability to kill off your characters. I have the hardest time with that.

It's also deeply sad that she dies in what amounts to an evidently futile effort.

Now, as for Cyrus...he's so much nicer than he has to be. Which is pretty damn cool. Also: I'm amused that within a day of each other we both unveil a Sidereal Akuma in our respective storylines.

Coincidence?
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

16 May 2007, 23:52

I'm rather a fan of Cyrus; his unique outlook on life will be expanded on in the next little while.

I feel quite bad for killing Millia, but I think the tragedy is important. Plus, the bodycount should really start with someone important.

:twisted:

As far as twin Sidereal akuma popping up, Fallstavia, I blame the twisted weavings of Sacheverall. ;)

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

17 May 2007, 00:11

Any series with a conspiracy in it, the first guy to die is the one who first discovers something funny about the situation. Usually by the hand of the guy who asked if they made any back ups.

Hmmmm... You would think Prior Warning would have tipped her off. Although I suppose siddy charms don't work so well on Akuma so it works out.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

17 May 2007, 00:17

Under normal circumstances, Expected Pain should have triggered and protected Millia by warning her about the OMG-Stabborz!

Unfortunately, Cyrus is a master of the Ivory Slayer of Trust Style, a fact which many of his peers are not aware. I have to write up the specifics, but it's essentially an Essence 5-8 SMA that deals with the concept of betrayal.

It includes an Illusion Charm that makes people fail to recognize you are attacking them, and thus prevents them from activating any reflexive Charms in response. Wouldn't work well on Solars - the whole "Elusive Dream Defense" thing - but Sidereals are ironically less protected against that sort of thing.

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

17 May 2007, 08:24

Friv does as I would do, gonna start killing people - make sure the first one is important, it justifies the inevitably high body count to follow.

Good stuff friv and I would love to see that style written up.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

17 May 2007, 15:26

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
Good stuff friv and I would love to see that style written up.

I will get to work on it. :)

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

18 May 2007, 12:45

Alright, finished up. Worked faster than I had thought it would. ;)

http://thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=87731

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7

19 May 2007, 18:09

Friv...would you mind if I borrowed your style for the Pivot Child? :D
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 May 2007, 22:34

fallstavia wrote:

Go for it. :)

As the second SMA I've completed, I greatly like it.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7

Re:

08 Sep 2007, 20:55

Friv wrote:
fallstavia wrote:

Go for it. :)

As the second SMA I've completed, I greatly like it.

Thanks for letting me borrow it, Friv. Hopefully it worked half as well in my story as it did in yours. Of the two, I think this chapter had the bigger kick but then again we all liked Millia. :(