Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 22: Spoils Of War

04 Jun 2007, 13:05

The Harvester of Shattered Shades leaned against a pillar of onyx, idly playing on her bone flute. White funerary robes were draped about the girl, barely older than a teen, with her ivory-pale skin and hair, and an untutored observer would have thought her a tragic innocent, a lost soul within the darkness. The sound of her bittersweet melody drifted through the empty halls, buried deep within Juggernaut’s base.

The Harvester was bored. Her value to the Mask of Winters lay primarily within her ability to unite – or break apart – groups and people. When it came to combat, she was significantly less skilled; she doubted that any mortal could stand alone against her, but she was not a fair match even for a skilled Dragon-Blood, and the Mask had not seen fit to include her in his war plans once the battle was underway, not wishing to lose her to an unfortunately lucky attack.

The result, with most of Juggernaut’s inhabitants at war, was that Harvester was relegated to surveillance duty, wandering the deep halls and ensuring that no one tried anything to steal the Mask’s treasures. It was, of course, a ridiculous task, designed solely to keep her busy. If someone DID have the power to break through the incredible wards down here, Harvester doubted she could do a thing. With a sour expression, she stopped playing and studied her flute, then sighed and tucked it into the hem of her dress. The music was less comforting than she had hoped.

As she walked past the deep hallways near the Font of Oblivion, the heart of Juggernaut in which the Mask often communed, there was a sudden shudder, and the floors buckled. Harvester leapt backwards to avoid falling, only to find that the entire structure was shuddering equally. A moment later, it stopped. The young woman frowned, looking around. That had never happened before – something was wrong.

It was a few moments later that she noticed the seals around the Font were gone.

Curiousity warred with prudence, and won. Harvester had only been allowed into the Font once – within it, a deep pit to Oblivion yawned, and the Whispers of the Neverborn were powerful. The Font was also where the Mask stored the Monstrance of Celestial Portion – the dark soul prisons through which he dominated his servants. Because of that, he was rightly leery of allowing any Abyssal access to the devices that might free or destroy them, and had kept the Font tightly sealed.

Until now.

Creeping forwards, Harvester drew her Charms around her like a shroud, dampening her footsteps and muting the light to draw shadows to her. As she approached the entrance to the Font, she looked over the scene, and her eyes widened.

The Font was much as she had remembered; a tall-domed chamber forged entirely of soulsteel and Labyrinth-hewn rock, with a deep, bottomless well in the exact centre. Arrayed around it were the eight Monstrances that the Mask controlled, each the same distance from the next and the pit alike. But there were three people standing in the chamber, and it took Harvester’s breath away to see them.

Mnemon suppressed a shudder, running one hand over the Monstrance in front of her. “Intriguing. They function much as you suspected, Sorrow.” She glanced around the room. “I presume you can tell which is yours.”

Sorrow nodded. “The pull is quite strong, yes.”

“And you can destroy it without destroying yourself?”

“With some care, yes.” Sorrow watched Mnemon cautiously. “It is not a quick task, but I have some command over entropic essence. It will take a few minutes.”

“Get to work, then. It is why you came, after all. My part of the deal.” Sorrow nodded, and all but ran to one of the Monstrances. A fierce grin stole over his expression as he sized it up, then began running hands across its surface. Bones splintered and flesh peeled at their passing, as the Monstrance began to gradually release its grip on his Essence.

Jacint raised an eyebrow. “All this, to free a slave? I am impressed.”

“Not entirely.” Mnemon stepped over to another Monstrance, running a hand over it cautiously. Then, thoughtfully, she walked to a third, stopping before it. Harvester realized with a start that the Dragon-Blood was standing before her Monstrance.

Clearly, she had seen enough. The Mask had to be warned that Mnemon and Sorrow had betrayed him. If Sorrow finished destroying his Monstrance, Mnemon would have a powerful Abyssal ally, and the Mask would lose a servant. Silently, she turned to leave.

Resonance lanced through her, dark Essence tying itself to her soul. The displeasure of her master rocked her to the bones, and she gasped in surprise, spinning back, all pretense of stealth lost. The only way that such displeasure could be registered was by violating the will of the Neverborn, which she had not done – or if the Mask chose to show displeasure…

Mnemon smiled grimly, one hand reaching out to touch Harvester’s Monstrance. “Sorrow, we have company.”

Sorrow turned from his task, one eyebrow raised. “Ah. Good morning, Harvester. Rather a surprise to see you here.” He took a step forwards.

“What are you doing?” Harvester’s face contorted. “When the Mask learns…”

“The Mask is dead. Didn’t you feel it?” Mnemon smiled grimly. “If he was not, how could I have attuned so easily to your Monstrance?” As the little colour in Harvester’s face drained away, she nodded with a cruel smile. “Only the Deathlords can create Monstrances. But once created, anyone may use them.” Her voice grew colder. “You will swear your allegiance to me, my loyal servant, or I will throw this device into the Void and consign your soul to Oblivion.”

“No…” Harvester stood transfixed. It was impossible. Unimaginable. But as Sorrow walked forwards, almost sauntering, she knew in her heart that it was true. For a frantic moment, she considered trying to fight. Mnemon saw the thought forming, and smiled again. Raising an eyebrow, she pointed her hand towards the cage again, and Essence began to gather in it.

Harvester raised both hands quickly. “I will!” She bowed her head, forcing out the words. “I… I swear it. I will serve you loyally for as long as I live.”

As Sorrows leaned it, putting a hand on her shoulder, he smiled. “And I sanctify your oath. Don’t look so sad, hon. Can’t be worse than the last boss, eh?”

Jacint, who had been watching the exchange silently, now looked at Mnemon. “And next?”

“Bring it all.” Mnemon’s smile grew broader. “The libraries, the armories. And especially these Monstrances. Then we will depart. Mokrelus is launching ambushes across Creation today, to strike at the Deathlords. And wherever he succeeds, we will follow. And I will take everything of theirs for my own.”

She ran her hand across the Monstrance one last time. “You will have your honour guard, Mother. But I will have an army.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

04 Jun 2007, 13:25

Fighting Fire with the cold, terrible touch of death? And then going on to rule the world, I suppose she thinks. It would take more than a few Abyssals to do that, however, which is why she would probably try to snag the Infernals too.

Assuming that the Abyssals didn't, you know, shiv her with soulsteel between the ribs. And I have a feeling that the Blessed Isle will be seeing a landmark year of quicksilver and bone chip rain. <^_^>

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

04 Jun 2007, 21:52

*stares coldly at Mnemons presumptious tactics* She will succeed only to fail in the end when she needs it the most. Upstart bitch, you know not your place in the works of the world. It will be my personal pleasure to see you fail and fall...so very far.

/Queen of the Underworld

Good stuff Friv, you really know how to bring out my ire against that woman. I so dearly hope that General Tepet Ejava runs her though...slowly.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

04 Jun 2007, 22:14

No no, it's cool. Enslaving mighty beings always works out for the best in Exalted. Especially when those beings will quickly become stronger than the enslaver.

However, it would be ammusing to see them turned against the Empress and company.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

04 Jun 2007, 23:16

Right here Mnemon has garnered some sympathy from me. I have an egalitarian streak in me and I enjoy it when exalted characters break the rules and reach heights that are explicitly impossible.

The thing is that, after about five minutes, reality reasserts itself and a realize that Mnemon is that last being that needs more power.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

04 Jun 2007, 23:28

BrilliantRain wrote:
Right here Mnemon has garnered some sympathy from me. I have an egalitarian streak in me and I enjoy it when exalted characters break the rules and reach heights that are explicitly impossible.

The thing is that, after about five minutes, reality reasserts itself and a realize that Mnemon is that last being that needs more power.

She's playing with pyreflame. It probably won't be long.

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

05 Jun 2007, 01:14

I'd torture, mind-fuck and kill the little bitch myself if I existed in Friv-verse, fortunate for Mnemon that I do not. :evil:

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

05 Jun 2007, 15:58

If you lived in Friv-verse, you'd be dangerously killable, what with the secret to defeating Deathlords being on the loose.

Just as well that you don't, really. ;)

And yeah, I have a bit of sympathy for Mnemon - her mother really screwed that woman up. :P But as for what happens with her and the Roseblack - well, there's a few other things to get through first. But we'll get there.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

08 Jun 2007, 05:01

I just had a thought. If Sorrow destroys his Monstrance without killing himself at the same time, then he will be free. However, if he later dies, what would happen to his Exaltation? It seems Lytek would be able to get his hands on it, at which point we might have a new Solar in town.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

09 Jun 2007, 18:51

I actually think Lytek would be rather intrigued at first, studying the shard first before cleansing it. He would want to know how they did it the first place and I'm certain Autobot would like to know...if he's ever around.