Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 28: Resources At Hand

20 Jun 2007, 11:50

And... after some time... we're back in action. Here it is, the final chapter of Red Sky At Night! The seas will run red with blood... :greensun:

-----

The mood around the planning table was grim. The mayor and chief constable of Juriss were sitting in, along with Steel, Jasmine, Lodaris, Citrios, and Alina. Across from them, Mnalif Nganto laid out what she knew.

“The enemy is moving quickly, but my allies are slowing them down so that they arrive at dusk. That way, Jasmine’s zombies will be able to be fielded in the fray.” Jasmine nodded almost imperceptably, and Nganto continued. “I’m sorry to say that three of the five Lunars I ultimately got to help us have been killed by Dukantha and his men, and the other two are out of power and in full retreat. However, they have done tremendous damage with hit-and-run strikes, damage they wouldn’t have been able to do here. Fully two hundred ships have been sunk, and five of the eight Lintha Dragon-Blooded are dead.” She paused for a moment, and then shook her head. “With that in mind, the enemy’s resources are as follows.”

“First, close to eight hundred ships, each bearing anywhere from twenty to a hundred Lintha. All told, we are looking at a total of forty thousand Lintha warriors, many of whom have basic Essence manipulation capabilities.” The room fell still at that.

“Second, as many as two hundred sea monsters of various sorts, who have been trained to fight alongside the Lintha.” Nganto’s lip curled.

“Third, close to five hundred demons of various sorts, including the blood apes on Dukantha’s flagship and a number of spies – some of which might be watching this meeting right now, so we can’t count on the advantage of surprise in our tactics.” This time, shoulders slumped. Alina glanced around, and found herself wishing that Nganto had found more tact.

“Fourth, and most importantly, Dukantha himself, and his flagship. He alone is a terrifying opponent, and he will be fully prepared to fight.”

“Sounds like fun.” Steel leaned back in his chair, turning a sai end over end. “So, lemme see if I can count up what we have.” He pushed forwards, letting the chair’s legs fall to the floor. “Five hundred townsfolk, five hundred zombies, one Essence cannon, two Dragon-Bloods, and three Celestial Exalts. That about cover it?”

Nganto grimaced, and then nodded. “Indeed it does. The gods cannot help us because the Lintha are servants of the Primordials, and they cannot directly affect such. They will be granting us blessings and healing, but that’s about it.”

“It is a moral advantage.” Lodaris closed his eyes thoughtfully. “The people will be fighting knowing the gods believe in them.”

“Joy.” The sarcasm in Steel’s voice could have cut through stone.

“We also have access to my necromancy and our ghostly companions; creeping shadows can slow or even stop ships, fouling the harbourline temporarily, and ghosts can snap rudders or tangle sails.” Jasmine leaned forwards. “I do not imagine that I can field more than six such shadows, however, and we can have only twenty ghosts, each of whom will likely be able to affect only five or six ships reasonably. And aside from managing the cannon, that will be the extent of my contributions.”

“That will be a major factor.” Nganto smiled grimly. “The harbour is well-defended, and the Essence Cannon covers the path around the coast to the manse. Dukantha will have to attack it to proceed safely, as it can severely injure his ship. Your ghosts can foul up to a hundred ships, in staggered waves. The Essence cannon can destroy a ship every six seconds or so. Between them, you should have time to destroy a great many ships before they make landfall.” She stepped forwards, pointing to places on the map that laid on the table. “I suggest we set up defenders around the cannon. The zombies can form the outer ring, while the townsfolk rain arrows on the attackers. As the zombies fall, archers draw swords and move in to defense. Meanwhile, our Exalts will fight in small ways while we wait for Dukantha to enter the fray. I will be dealing with the sea monsters.” She looked up. “Are there any objections?”

Citrious started to open his mouth, but paused when Alina lightly touched his hand and shook her head minutely. Luna had told her to do what Nganto wanted, and it seemed like a viable plan. With a faint frown, he nodded, then spoke. “What if he just charges the manse? If he opens that gate…”

“He won’t. His ship is too important to him, and we would have a very, very good chance of destroying it.” Nganto sighed. “It’s not the best plan out there, but it’s the best with what we have. I would be lying if I said I expect us to succeed… but we have a chance.”

Lodaris nodded slowly. “It may be our best option. We will have to make sure not to use too much of our own power before Dukantha himself attacks, however, or we will be destroyed for certain.” He looked up, and let out a quiet breath. “Very well, Mnalif. I pray that this plan of yours succeeds.”

“Go for it.” Nganto shrugged, turning and walking from the room. “Maybe the Dragons will send help.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 28: Resources At Hand

20 Jun 2007, 12:38

Maybe they could tie up the ships and hit it with a fire attack... <^_^>

(Too much Chi Bi for me)
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

21 Jun 2007, 00:42

It sounds like what they need is a team of Solar reinforcements. Or the Water Fleet. Or an Essence 7 Alchemical that can turn into a warship.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

21 Jun 2007, 11:02

BrilliantRain wrote:
It sounds like what they need is a team of Solar reinforcements. Or the Water Fleet. Or an Essence 7 Alchemical that can turn into a red semi truck.

<^_^>
I write stories. No, really.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

21 Jun 2007, 15:48

Dinosaur wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:
It sounds like what they need is a team of Solar reinforcements. Or the Water Fleet. Or an Essence 7 Alchemical that can transform and roll out!

<^_^>

Fixed that for you.

Also, I've been waiting for this for like...months and months, Friv. Awesomeness. I can't wait to see how it all comes down. Damn, you and Kraken are both doing your finales. I have got to get back to cranking out Pivot Child.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories