Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 29: Enlightened Self-Interest

26 Jun 2007, 12:19

“Mind if I join you?”

Nia looked up and smiled, sliding over to make room for Citrios. As he sat, he took her hand and followed her gaze. On the horizon, they could just make out the faint dots that were the now rapidly-approaching Lintha fleet. She sighed. “They’ll be here soon.” The setting sun to the west cast shadows across the town, obscuring the bustling preparations as the soldiers moved towards the harbour and the rest of the townsfolk gathered their belongings to flee into the hills.

“Not more than an hour, I’d imagine.” Citrios glanced over at Nia. “Any more visions that might help us?”

“Nothing. The Unconquered Sun can’t speak about this.” She was watching him carefully, and smiled at how well he hid the flinch at that name – she might have missed it. After a moment, she decided not to draw attention to it. “I don’t know whether to be glad that you’re here with me.”

“I know I am.” Citrios sighed. “All those years you were looking after me, and I never even realized it. This time, we’ll face the danger together.”

“And die together?”

“If we have to.” The young Dragon-Blood’s face was resolute. “But I’m really hoping it doesn’t come to that.”

“There’s another option.” The two looked back as Twice-Forged Steel strolled up, Jasmine walking softly behind him. “The Azure Rider’s still in port. We can fight on her. And if things go wrong… well, she’s a faster ship than just about anything the Lintha can mount, I’d bet.”

“Abandon the city?” Citrios’s voice was grim. Steel looked him over with a sarcastic smile.

“No, go for a pleasure cruise.” He rolled his eyes. “Of course. Look, I’ve done what I can. But I can crunch the numbers. We’ve got a sweet setup here – chances are, between our weapons and our soldiers, the Lintha will lose two hundred and fifty ships before they finish clearing out the zombies.” He stopped, and shrugged. “And maybe another hundred clearing out the locals. At which point it will be four Exalts and a ghost against four hundred Lintha ships and a powerful akuma. We don’t have a prayer.” He looked out onto the horizon. “I’m something of the ‘he who fights and runs away’ school, myself.”

“And then what?” Nia stood abruptly, stalking up to Steel. “When Dukantha captures the gate, he’ll open it. Kimbery’s demons will swarm across the West. Where will you hide next, Steel?” Steel blinked, opening his mouth, but she cut him off. “The North is lost to you. The West will be gone. Will you run south, see if there’s something there to destroy?”

“Hey, now. That’s not… I mean… Jasmine, back me up here.”

Jasmine shrugged with a ripple of silk. “I have no opinion. The Lintha have no necromancers – I can battle to the end, and still return to the Underworld unscathed when this body is finally destroyed. You must decide for yourself how much you fear the Underworld.” With that, she turned and began walking down to the harbour.

“I don’t fear anything!” Steel shouted the comment after her. “I’m just not stupid!” He turned back to Nia and Citrios, looking grumpy. “Look, I’m not saying I’m going to bug out right now. The Rider will be on the seas, boarding and stopping Lintha ships. But when things finally go sour – and they will – we’re leaving. That’s it. You guys are cool. I like you. If you want to be onboard, we’ll gladly have you. But I’m not coming back for you.”

“Fine.” Nia turned away from Steel, crossing her arms. “We’ll keep fighting to the end.”

“So will I.” Steel turned away in response, clenching his jaw. “I just know what it’ll be.”

As he stormed off, Nia turned to watch him go. Citrios shook his head, watching the Abyssal. “I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised.”

“I was hoping he’d have more loyalty than that.” She sighed heavily. “At least he hasn’t left already. That’s something.”

“And we have one more advantage.” Citrios and Nia jumped, spinning around, to see Nganto looking down the path towards the harbour. “I didn’t wish to say anything in the meeting, because of the possibility of spies. But, in addition to my skills as a solider, I have some passing skill with Celestial Circle Sorcery. I don’t know any spells that will be particularly useful here, but…” She paused, and smiled grimly. “I do know countermagic. Dukantha’s infernal patrons have improved his sorcerous might. When he sees us gathered around the cannon, he will almost certainly attempt to cast a powerful spell against them. When he does, I will counter it, draining his Essence reserves just before the battle.”

“That will help.” Nia nodded, and Nganto took her shoulder.

“Don’t fear yet, child. This battle is far from lost, whatever the deathknight thinks.” With a sharp-toothed grin, she turned and started down towards the harbour herself, shifting into her powerful war form and picking up speed. The two younger Exalts watched her go, and Nia took a deep breath.

“We have the strangest allies.” Citrios grinned lopsidedly, and Nia returned his smile, leaning in to kiss him lightly.

“I know. But Luna said to trust her. You can’t get a much higher authority than that.”

“Well, you’re vouching for her.” Citrios grinned. “That’s quite high enough for me.” He sighed. “Come on. We’d better get into position.” Holding hands, the two Exalts moved down towards the docks, and war.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Raisins
Essence 1
Essence 1
Title: The Sun-Maid Girl
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Dried-on-the-vine Caramelized Sugar Method
Artifact: Grape Basket

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 29: Enlightened Self-Interest

22 Jun 2009, 13:23

Umm, in this part and in some following ones in this chapter... I'm pretty sure you mean Alina where you write Nia. :D::

Also, seeing as it seems I can only be bothered to post when I nitpick, let me say that your stories are awesome, hilarious and epic.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

22 Jun 2009, 14:07

Raisins wrote:
Umm, in this part and in some following ones in this chapter... I'm pretty sure you mean Alina where you write Nia. :D::

Also, seeing as it seems I can only be bothered to post when I nitpick, let me say that your stories are awesome, hilarious and epic.

Friv later posted a self-noting message to that effect.
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

12 Jul 2009, 01:38

Crap on a crutch, was I doing it this far back?

Seriously, what the crap? This is what happens when you write two people with vaguely similar names and personalities at the same time, people. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".