Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 32: Blood On The Water

09 Jul 2007, 12:26

Kimbery’s Dawn darted and wove through the waves as the Essence cannon roared from the shore, arcs of energy flattening the waves. Aboard her, combat raged.

Nganto ducked and spun, a whirlwind of silver devastation. Claws lashed out, taking off skulls and arms as she dove forwards, rolled past a flurry of blows, and sliced through two more enemies. The blood apes swarmed around her like ants, with less effect. Dukantha raised an eyebrow delicately as claws slid off her scales without impact, and teeth failed to find purchase.

“Your crew is nothing to me, Infernal.” Nganto’s smile was sharp, and she dove forwards, her claws coming around towards Dukantha’s head, heedless of the acidic spray fountaining from his body. A simple back-step, and he brought his sword around in response; the blow chipped the hard surface of the deck as Nganto danced backwards away from it, skipping across waiting claws as though they were there to support her, not destroy her. One foot slammed downwards, crushing another ape that tried to take advantage of the movement to pull her to the deck, and she ended up leaning against the mast. “If this is the best that you can field against me, I am far from concerned about facing you alone.” She smirked. “Or do you really have no power outside of your twisted patron?”

“Hmph.” Dukantha frowned darkly. “I will tolerate much, Lunar. But you will not mock my Mother in my presence.”

“What’s to mock? I just mean that she was twisted. When we defeated her.” The smirk grew, and Nganto gestured. “And I don’t see her here to help you.”

“You –” Dukantha broke off the words with a snarl, and gestured. “I do not need my Mother to destroy you, you idiot child. You think that your Charms protect you from my sailors? You think that they can’t hope to harm you? You. Are. Wrong.”

As he bit off the last word, the blood apes leapt into motion. Every one was a blur as their own magics flared to life, leaping forwards a half-dozen times each to grab at Nganto and pull her down. Caught off-guard, the Lunar leapt upwards, but more apes flickered up the mast and jumped out, grabbing at limbs and bearing her downwards. Even falling, in mid-air, she darted and slipped, pushing off one ape to avoid its thrusting grasp while hopscotching over two more, but the sheer mass of enemies was pulling her downwards. Within moments, there was a pile of blood apes on the ground, as Nganto found herself pinned down by a dozen of the most tenacious of her foes. Grunting in annoyance, she brought her limbs towards one another in a single, vicious motion, cracking four apes into one another with a sickening sound and throwing them aside as she attempted to pull upwards.

As she did so, Dukantha’s daiklave slid easily into her chest.

Nganto’s gasp sent a small spatter of blood across the deck as Dukantha twisted the sword in her gut and pulled it free, smiling maliciously. “You have no concept of what I represent, little girl. I wish that you did.” He shook his head. “Why are you doing this? Wasting your gifts helping these worms? You – you alone of the defenders might be worth saving. You have lived a life of blood and pain – how can you not see that this is what the world is meant to be?”

“You never understood me.” Nganto shook herself, glancing down as the gaping wound began slowly closing, and pushed free of the blood apes, charging forwards. “My life was lived to end that pain, not spread it.”

“You did a damned poor job, then. All you ever did was spread pain.” Dukantha laughed. “And now this? Why help these scum? They are of the people that have hunted your kind.”

“They have a kindness I did not imagine possible.” Nganto swiped at Dukantha, but the swarming blood apes reached her and began to pull backwards. With a muffled curse, she slashed backwards, but they were all around her. “The world is a better place with them in it. And a better place without you.”

“And will it be a better place without you, I wonder?” Dukantha grinned triumphantly as the blood apes bore Nganto down. His first blow slammed home, slashing across Nganto’s body and severing both her lungs. His second drove through her skull, pinning her to the deck, and Dukantha shook his head sadly. Such a waste.

And then Nganto drove upwards, along the sword, leaving pieces of brain behind her as her claws raked across the shocked Infernal’s face. Dukantha could feel his Charms straining to turn the blow, but it was too sudden, too unexpected. He stumbled backwards, and she flipped backwards. The gaping holes in her chest and face were filled with shining silver light, creating a perfect replica. “I ask myself that question every day. I suspect that it will.” She grinned again, and drove forwards.

“Stop her!” Unsettled, Dukantha gestured, and the blood apes swarmed again, pulling her back down. He reached up, feeling the bloody rents in his face fading away, and nodded approvingly. “Even death cannot slay you. I think that I approve.” He glanced over her, seeing the silver light pouring from her body. “But it is too late. I need only wait for your energy to wear out, my dear, and it will be over.” The apes were blurs of energy as they piled on, holding her still. Nganto struggled, but there were too many.

And then the wind died. The seas grew still, just for a moment. And a dark shadow passed across the deck. Dukantha started to glance upwards, realizing even as he did that the shadow was not being cast from above. It was being created from within. And then, a moment later, it touched on him, and the sound of steel on steel rang across the deck.

As one, the blood apes reared in confusion. As one, they looked down at wounds blossoming across their bodies. And across the deck, outlined in a fountain of red and black blood as every ape on the deck died at once, Twice-Forged Steel locked his sais with Dukantha’s blade, the completion of the dance that had just claimed his crew.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Red Sky At Night, Part 32: Blood On The Water

09 Jul 2007, 12:51

I wonder - if one were to use the demon-repelling Charm on a demon ship, what would be the result?
I write stories. No, really.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

09 Jul 2007, 15:51

Holy crap that was a hell of a fight.

Friv.

I am humbled.

And now I must use Memory Mirror on you so I have your talent. Or at least your memory, which is probably not the same thing as talent. Damnit.

Oh yeah. Steel, you sucka, you actually committed! Good for you, man. And I had no idea he could kick that much butt.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

11 Jul 2007, 10:13

That Abyssal charm which lets you attack an entire army once is really one of the coolest charms...

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

11 Jul 2007, 15:28

Yeah, Glorious Carnage Typhoon may be the most powerful Charm ever for crowd control purposes.

And when your opponents have left themselves open, well... it's certainly impressive to watch. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".