Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 23: A Cold Wind Blows

25 Jul 2007, 15:37

This begins Chapter Four: The Blood-Stained Throne, the conclusion to The Dynasty's Shadowed Light

-----

Daylight broke over the Palace Sublime. An old man stood on the peak of the Palace, his robes flapping loosely in the wind. His eyes were closed, and though the light of the rising sun washed over him, he felt only the cold sting of the wind’s touch.

Iselsi Thelos was old. At times, even he could not remember how old, and the years behind him stretched out into the mists. Then there were days like today. Days when he could remember every one of the four hundred and seventy-two years since his birth. Remember his childhood under a House that was strong, and proud. Before the fall. Before the deaths, and the humiliations. An entire house destroyed and remade into the puppets of the madwoman who held the Scarlet Throne, generations held slave to the whims of a power-mad queen.

Never again.

He felt the stirrings in the air behind him, and let his senses expand. He did not open his eyes, for there was no need. The wind told him all that he needed to know. “Greetings, Master Cyrus.”

“Greetings, Lord Thelos.” Though Thelos often felt old, he knew that he was as a babe before Harakken Cyrus. The ancient Sidereal stepped easily across the roof, and Thelos’s eyes finally opened as he turned to regard his old companion. Cyrus looked tired, the weight of his years pressing down on him. “I have news. The Mask of Winters has fallen in battle, never to return. I can also confirm the fall of the Walker in Darkness, the Silver Prince, Princess Magnificent, and the Bishop. According to certain contacts of mine, nine of the Deathlords in all have fallen, leaving only four alive.”

“That is excellent news.” Thelos did not smile. Though the news was auspicious, there was little that brought him joy any more. “The Roseblack’s name will be draped with honours for this.”

“Hm.” Thelos raised an eyebrow, turning fully to face his old mentor. Cyrus was not looking at him, but was watching the sun rise with a distant expression.

“You do not agree?”

“I do.” Cyrus smiled, faintly. “The Neverborn were the greatest threat to our victory in the Competition. With only four Deathlords remaining, they have only four Conduits for their power, and their mad designs will not succeed.” He sighed. “But much, much more must be destroyed in order for harmony to be restored. I regret the necessity.”

Thelos shrugged. “They are the enemies of Order. The world must be scoured before it can be rebuilt, or else the seeds or rot will carry through into the next Age.”

“But it is not by their choice.” Cyrus turned to look at Thelos, and the Dragon-Blood was reassured by the resolve he could see beneath the sorrow. There was no weakness there. “In the last two months, I have slain twelve of my own companions and students, for the sole reason that the Incarnae have poisoned their minds against us. I have overseen the collapse of the Sidereals, and witnessed our ranks dwindle to a mere fifty-six members. I do not regret their deaths – but I will weep for them nonetheless. Sachaverall understands my feelings, for the loss of any part of His design is an event to be regretted.”

“The wind blows as it will.” Thelos shrugged again. “Adorjan does not share your Father’s sorrow, only the joy that the world may soon be purified. But though she might not understand your pain, I do. Even if I do not share it.”

“Understanding is all that I require. In truth, I would not ask you to share this even if I could.” Cyrus looked out over the Imperial City. “Our positions are strong, at the moment. Even now, the Conduits of Kimbery and Wesmaken seek out two of the thirteen Demon Gates. Our alliance will be strengthened by them.”

“Yes, but others are doing the same.” Thelos frowned thoughtfully. “She Who Lives In Her Name has sent her champion to the gateway in Gem, and Malfeas explores beneath Nexus. Isidoros travels to the city of Crystal, Kagami strives for sunken Luthe, and Szoreny is taking hold of Rathess. I know that Ghroth bears a gateway, as do Sadagares, Cecelyne, Hegra, Oramus, and the Ebon Dragon. How much will they truly matter?”

“Some.” Cyrus shrugged softly. “They will be useful only during Calibration, but they will grant advantages to those who can hold them. And the Ebon Dragon’s gate is useless, sealed behind the defenses of the Imperial Manse, useless to him even with his Conduit.” He made a gesture of dismissal, turning away from the sunrise to watch the Imperial City waking. “But we have other preparations to make. The Scouring must begin tonight. Any later, and the activities of our fellows will become known.”

“And we cannot have that.” Thelos nodded firmly, following Cyrus’s gaze towards the Imperial Manse. He paused a moment, and laid a hand on Cyrus’s shoulder. “Never fear, my old sensei. Adorjan stands beside her brother for all eternity. While the other Yozi bicker and squabble, our alliance will guarantee victory in the Competition. And the world can be pure once again.”

“Let it be so, my old friend.” Cyrus smiled sadly. “The world prepares to be born anew. I only pray that she can survive the pain that this birth must inflict.”
Last edited by Friv on 21 Aug 2007, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 23: A Cold Wind Blows

25 Jul 2007, 17:23

Oohhhhhh I like where this is going. Nearly half the siddies are dead and nine of the 14, er 13 Deathlords are gone...the Yozi's are on the move, were playing with the big boys now arent we?
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

25 Jul 2007, 17:49

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
Oohhhhhh I like where this is going. Nearly half the siddies are dead and nine of the 14, er 13 Deathlords are gone...the Yozi's are on the move, were playing with the big boys now arent we?

And the non-canonical deathlords that are canonically built into the setting.
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

25 Jul 2007, 18:46

I do hope they forget that Pride goeth before the fall and that the Exalted beat them once before. Were in fact made to beat them.

He seems to have missed that Kimbery failed and that Mnemon is currently working to become the 14th DL (No offense DPM).

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

25 Jul 2007, 20:40

BrilliantRain wrote:
I do hope they forget that Pride goeth before the fall and that the Exalted beat them once before. Were in fact made to beat them.

He seems to have missed that Kimbery failed and that Mnemon is currently working to become the 14th DL (No offense DPM).

None taken, I am my own creation as much as I am certain there are other out there who thought the 14th Deathlord concept was quite interesting.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

26 Jul 2007, 11:08

BrilliantRain wrote:

This conversation is taking place on the night of the Mask's defeat - first day of Calibration. Kimbery isn't going to be defeated until the 4th. ;)

Unfortunately, the Yozi do remember that Exalts were made to defeat them. That's why so many of their champions are Exalts this time around. But... well, we'll see what happens. :twisted:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

26 Jul 2007, 15:37

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
BrilliantRain wrote:

None taken, I am my own creation as much as I am certain there are other out there who thought the 14th Deathlord concept was quite interesting.

Damn, now there's no real call for "I'm the 14th Deathlord!"

"No, I am!"

"I'm the 14th Deathlord and so is my wife!"

<^_^>
I write stories. No, really.

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

26 Jul 2007, 20:59

Perhaps Dinobot, but on this forum I got dibs. All others are charlatans.